PDA

View Full Version : Misc Jay Z says being rich "a letdown" (fuk outta heeea)

thinkfast®
11-16-2007, 02:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/s218/celebitchy/novembera/jayz1.jpg

Jay Z now has the top selling album in America with the soundtrack for the film American Gangster. It is his tenth number one album and he is currently tied at second with Elvis for the most albums in history at the top spot on the charts. Only the Beatles have had more number one releases.

In a new interview with Blender Magazine, Jay-Z says that seeing the film American Gangster and making the album brought him back to the time when he was a dealer on the streets working daily to elude the cops. He said he tapped into those old emotions and nervous adrenaline to help fuel the creativity that helped him put out another chart-topper:

What is it about this movie that opened the creative floodgates?
"It was the emotions I remember from that time. Paranoia, excitement, addiction. It really is an addiction. After a while in the game, you become addicted to the excitement and the sense of uncertainty. Because any day could be your last. Cops are watching you, enemies are watching you — and knowing that, it’s this weird … rush."

With a net worth estimated at $286 million, Jay-Z has experienced incredible success, but says the results aren’t as exhilarating as he hoped. He says that, like Denzel Washington’s character, he ’s had his share of letdowns after reaching the top. Still, he admits it has its perks:

On the American Gangster track “Success,” you rap about the disillusionment that can come with achieving your dream: “All I got is this big house, couple cars, I don’t bring half them ****s out … How many times can I go to Mr. Chow’s?”

In the context of the album, it was that Scarface moment when Tony Montana sits in the restaurant and looks around and says, “This is all it’s about?” You get to that point where it’s like, “OK, I drove the Rolls Phantom around the corner and … nothing happened.” And you ask yourself, “That’s it? I thought blondes was gonna be jumping on my hood!”

Do you ever hang out with anyone richer than you?
I don’t know. I’m sure I do. I’ve hung out with Bill Gates, but he’s not a friend of mine. I’ve hung out with Bono. He’s gotta be way richer than me.

What’s the most expensive bottle of wine you’ve ever bought?
Oh, my goodness, I know that exactly. I had a $20,000 Petrus 1945 at a place called Graycliff in the Bahamas.

Full-bodied? Playful? Impudent?
Oh, it was definitely full-bodied. Incredible. You could almost taste the barrel. It was one of those things where you say, “Come on, how good could it be? What’s the difference?” But you really could taste the difference. It was damn near like smoking weed. It was a high.

As for who he’s supporting in the presidential race, Jigga says that he likes Barack Obama and had a conversation with him about his career when the subject was brought up. He’s says he’s not sure who he will back though and is “gonna go down to the last day with this one.”

Jay-Z laughed and refused to comment when asked if he’s planning to marry his longterm girlfriend, singer Beyoncé. Maybe he’s still waiting for those girls to come jump on his car.

thinkfast®
11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
lol @ them camel lips, I almost wanna protect my keyboard from gettn spit on

tony
11-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I could understand where he's coming from, there have been some big goals I have reached (having my house built, etc) and when you're constantly striving for more you do get a sense of "damn, is this it?" The only one I don't get that feeling with is my son, even having a nice car got boring after a while. I can see how being a millionaire could be monotonous, I'll still take that over being broke any day.

Julio
11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
J is the man.. that song is damn nice.

is like that guy that pay millions to space.. he said the same thing... " I've been fortunate to have all this money, but once I have it, certain things get borring, this trip has been the most exciting thing since the birth of my last child 18 years ago"

VIP Style
11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
man i bet jay-z would rather be filthy rich like he is than struggle like some people to make ends meet, he can gone somewhere with that mess he talking.

The Ninja
11-17-2007, 07:26 AM
People look to money for the wrong things. He saw money as happiness. I know, I hate when people say "You can't buy happiness", **** them. You can buy the means to make you happy. Its when you stop knowing what you want is when you get bored. Start giving your **** away then. Try making other people happy, giving them the experience they wouldn't likely get without a boatload of money. I have plans, no not plans to be rich, plans to spend money. Maybe he should see about traveling and not staying in 5 star hotels. Maybe staying in a different motel every night, meeting regular people, experiencing regular events. Drive a ****ing civic. Do things that other people see as their dream, do it with them. Maybe making them happy will make you happy, as well as strike a passion in your heart to pursue their dreams to a further extent. Has he ever been sky diving? Mountain climbing? Hiking in the Amazon? Ride in a military fighter jet? Experienced zero gravity? Traveled and hiked through Nepal? Visited the wall of China? Surfing in Australia? Bitten by a shark? I mean there are a ****load of things out in the world to do. People get money (having that be their dream) and sit around and do nothing. They surround themselves with expensive cars, and other materialistic things, but maybe they should be striving for the things you CAN'T buy directly. Go for experiences. Theres no way you can do everything you ever wanted to do in one lifetime. Thats the beauty of human mortality, you are forced to make choices and sacrifices because you don't know when the end is coming, live it up. Especially if you can "afford" to.

/rant

eckok24
11-17-2007, 08:31 AM
dam jay is the ****. album really good

VIP Style
11-17-2007, 10:36 AM
personally i think the album is not that great, he a good artist, but i dont think he can **** with eminem.
dam jay is the ****. album really good

quickdodge®
11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
but i dont think he can **** with eminem.

Lolol.

I can't stand Gay-Z, but I'd definitely listen to him before I even thought about listening to Feminem. Later, QD.

1SICKLEX
11-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Good article. Jay-Z has ALWAYS had loot, so while he is BIG money now, he always had it. I guess thats why he's like "okay, now what".

Some people get to the point where they don't even know what to do with all that loot.

Alan®
11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
personally i think the album is not that great, he a good artist, but i dont think he can **** with eminem.
:blah: :blah: :blah: :lmfao:

VIP Style
11-19-2007, 03:18 PM
i dont see anything funny about that, and neither does anyone else, its the truth. eminem just doesnt get as much attention as he deserves in hip hop cause he is white. he better than jay to me.
:blah: :blah: :blah: :lmfao:

Sammich
11-19-2007, 03:28 PM
I could understand where he's coming from, there have been some big goals I have reached (having my house built, etc) and when you're constantly striving for more you do get a sense of "damn, is this it?" The only one I don't get that feeling with is my son, even having a nice car got boring after a while. I can see how being a millionaire could be monotonous, I'll still take that over being broke any day.

x2 man...its not all that to have alot anymore..it can add to stress of somebody gona rob or take your sh*t like they did my car..so its like..why have when some sleez is gona come take it from you. so now i'm trying to gain the FULL grown man mind status where i will get my next car and do nothing but keep it clean, no wheels, no tint, no stereo...(hopefully 00-03 deville)

life should be simple..f*ck riches, real talk..

Sammich
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM

jay...lost a lil respect when he came out with this album..it just seemed so thrown together with no thought to it...yea he got a couple of hot ones, but DEFINITELY his worse album to date..as far as he can't **** w/ eminem...GTFO------------------> em is nice, but that statement is outlandish

VIP Style
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
man i heard that ****, i was gone put a system in my lexus, but now im having second thoughts. just something to get somebodys attention thats gone take it
x2 man...its not all that to have alot anymore..it can add to stress of somebody gona rob or take your sh*t like they did my car..so its like..why have when some sleez is gona come take it from you. so now i'm trying to gain the FULL grown man mind status where i will get my next car and do nothing but keep it clean, no wheels, no tint, no stereo...(hopefully 00-03 deville)

life should be simple..f*ck riches, real talk..

Tracy
11-19-2007, 03:48 PM

I feel ya on that. Evertime I get a new car, all of my girlfriends are like "OMG!". I'm just like OM Gay :rolleyes: It's not that big of a deal anymore. Mike asked me the other day if I ever thought that we had "made it" after we took the big pic of mine and Dan's face out of the trailer (we have this 5x10 ft pic of our faces on it used for SEMA). I said, no. I haven't made it yet. I want to be a good driver, not famous :)

The measure of success is different for everyone. The grass is always greener type of thing. It's easy to look at others and say "wow, I wish I had that", but in reality, you probably don't and if you got it...it wouldn't be all that big of a deal.

That being said, I might think I had made it if I had 286 million dollars :D

dELfONiK
11-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Evertime I get a new car, all of my girlfriends are like "OMG!". I'm just like OM Gay :rolleyes:

Now that is funny!! :lmfao: :lmfao:

VIP Style
11-19-2007, 04:02 PM
im not hating on jay-z or anything, he is a good artist, but i just think people ride his **** too hard, its artist out there who are actually better and they dont receive half the recognition they deserve, for example Big L was nice as hell, and if he was still around he would be a force in this hip/hop game thats been going downhill for a while.
jay...lost a lil respect when he came out with this album..it just seemed so thrown together with no thought to it...yea he got a couple of hot ones, but DEFINITELY his worse album to date..as far as he can't **** w/ eminem...GTFO------------------> em is nice, but that statement is outlandish

The Ninja
11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I wish I had $286mil. Then I could be a Masters of Knowledge, XD. :lmfao:

quickdodge®
11-20-2007, 02:23 PM
its the truth.

Lolol. Again.

eminem just doesnt get as much attention as he deserves in hip hop cause he is white.

Lolol. Race card. It couldn't be because he really isn't that "great" could it? There is a reason why Feminem and 50 are labelmates. They both make records for the suburban white population. That's where the majority of their fanbase is. They're rich because of the rich white people thinking that if they buy into them, they'll be looked at like they know anything about rap. Later, QD.

Sammich
11-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Lolol. Race card. It couldn't be because he really isn't that "great" could it? There is a reason why Feminem and 50 are labelmates. They both make records for the suburban white population. That's where the majority of their fanbase is. They're rich because of the rich white people thinking that if they buy into them, they'll be looked at like they know anything about rap. Later, QD.

actually alot of raps fanbase period are the white population. Em is nice, like when he ripped it on the jay-z track on the blueprint "renegade". 50 is for females and whites period, his **** is weaksos and whoever signs with Gunit is going down with that label, their peak was quick and shortlived...but point of this post...alot of rap is supported by whites

VIP Style
11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
sorry have to disagree, if you look in the XXL magazine for this month, the g-unit came through and shut down some club in queens, tha south side, so they got love from the hoods dont get it twisted, and i really dont see how this label would be on its way down considering that collectively the g-unit has sold over 30 million records.
actually alot of raps fanbase period are the white population. Em is nice, like when he ripped it on the jay-z track on the blueprint "renegade". 50 is for females and whites period, his **** is weaksos and whoever signs with Gunit is going down with that label, their peak was quick and shortlived...but point of this post...alot of rap is supported by whites

VIP Style
11-21-2007, 10:24 PM
but i do agree with you about how whites support rap heavily.

quickdodge®
11-21-2007, 10:30 PM
sorry have to disagree, if you look in the XXL magazine for this month, the g-unit came through and shut down some club in queens,

I never said it was strictly white fans. Majority is what I posted.

so they got love from the hoods dont get it twisted,

It's not "twisted" by any means. Not many hoods have that love for him.

and i really dont see how this label would be on its way down considering that collectively the g-unit has sold over 30 million records.

Seriously? G-Unit sales have been on the decline for the last several years. Pretty much every G-U**** release has sold less than the previous. Seems like a decline to me. Out of that 30 million records, 50 probably accounts for 29.5 million on GRODT by itself. The other half mil is from the rest. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
11-21-2007, 10:35 PM
BTW, G-Unot, as a whole, has sold approximately 24 million records. 50 Cent has 15 mil by himself.

2003 - GRODT - 8 million
2005 - The Massacre - 5 million
2007 - Curtis - 1.7 million

Helluva decline for G-Uoughttoquit's head honcho. Later, QD.

VIP Style
11-24-2007, 11:53 AM
BTW the whole hip/hop industry has been on a decline, not many artist are reaching platinum status like they use to so easily.
I never said it was strictly white fans. Majority is what I posted.

It's not "twisted" by any means. Not many hoods have that love for him.

Seriously? G-Unit sales have been on the decline for the last several years. Pretty much every G-U**** release has sold less than the previous. Seems like a decline to me. Out of that 30 million records, 50 probably accounts for 29.5 million on GRODT by itself. The other half mil is from the rest. Later, QD.

quickdodge®
11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
BTW the whole hip/hop industry has been on a decline, not many artist are reaching platinum status like they use to so easily.

I know this, but I was generalizing my comment towards your remark of G-UShit the label not falling down. Later, QD.

VIP Style
11-25-2007, 10:12 AM
oh i see, well they suppose to be releasing some complimation album soon.
I know this, but I was generalizing my comment towards your remark of G-UShit the label not falling down. Later, QD.

Glides
11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
sorry have to disagree, if you look in the XXL magazine for this month, the g-unit came through and shut down some club in queens, tha south side, so they got love from the hoods dont get it twisted, and i really dont see how this label would be on its way down considering that collectively the g-unit has sold over 30 million records.

That's nothing. I can shut down a club on the southside with one call to the bomb squad.

Eminem is done, his music is garbage. Other than the entire town of Gainesville and assorted provinces in Western Kentucky, people want more out of their music then the same regurgitated shum he serves up.

1000cckiller
11-25-2007, 10:33 AM
sorry have to disagree, if you look in the XXL magazine for this month, the g-unit came through and shut down some club in queens, tha south side, so they got love from the hoods dont get it twisted, and i really dont see how this label would be on its way down considering that collectively the g-unit has sold over 30 million records.lets see g-unit sold big their first two years, they have been on a rapid decline ever since.

VIP Style
11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
i bet the bomb squad aint got money and recognition like tha g-unit though.
That's nothing. I can shut down a club on the southside with one call to the bomb squad.

Eminem is done, his music is garbage. Other than the entire town of Gainesville and assorted provinces in Western Kentucky, people want more out of their music then the same regurgitated shum he serves up.