PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about opening a parts store

Mr_Mischif
11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
And I'm wondering if I did, could I get the ATL shops to buy from me. I'd only stock the high quality stuff, and I'd probably give discounts to the shops if they buy a lot. But I'm wondering what I'd have to do for the shops around here to buy from me. Shop participation in this thread would be appreciated.

Julio
11-16-2007, 10:37 AM
lol.. high end stuff means more then likely you will not suceed... i may be wrong though.

osiriskidd
11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
make a section for high peformance parts.'

then another for cheap pep-boys clearance types. that'll attract the ricers who'll blow their weekly allowance on "bling-bling windshield wipers"

SL65AMG
11-16-2007, 10:42 AM
you cant go with only the high performance parts. ricers wont have anything to buy

ricers thrive on shiny junk

you can chrome-plate a piece of ****(literally) and theyll hand it from their rear view mirror

japan4racing
11-16-2007, 10:43 AM
abort mission...fail inevitable

i wish the best of luck to you but realistically the odds are against you

Killer
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM
maybe u should put this in the sponsor section... or shop section... whatever it is...

EvasiveEF9
11-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I work at Auto Technology...

Thoughts:
The market in the auto world is down, lately. "High end" means high dollar. If people ain't got money to spend...you're not gonna succeed.

You're better off getting cheaper more frequent stuff that people NEED than stuff people want. Problem with that is that you're gonna have ALOT of competition...like autozone and stuff...

However, if you want to do this, I wish you luck in your endeavors, and would advise PERSONALLY walking into shops of interest and having an appointment to sit down with them and talk to them personally. We get faxes all the time for ads, and we pay them no attention, we just toss them. Also...in this world...it's never WHAT you know so much as it is WHO you know.

Nemesis
11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
open an ebay store

HeLLo iM iZzY
11-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I'd think if you'd have like lots of parts from different companies (HKS, Blitz, Tanabe, TEIN, etc.) or even JDM clips and parts, then it could be a success. I wouldn't open a chain store but rather start from one. And if your making enough to open a second store, go for it.

EvasiveEF9
11-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Air has several valid points. Definitely only one store at a time. But JDM importers do pretty well if you get the name out there.

Not to mention the EBAY idea is a VERY good one...

Scotsman
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
open an ebay storex2:goodjob:

xLSTONEx
11-16-2007, 01:33 PM
well since most shops buy parts straight from the supplier and no middle man I really doubt they would buy for you. Cause its almost impossible for you to sell it at a cheaper price.

Ran
11-16-2007, 01:58 PM
We need a local outlet store for racing equipment. I get calls all the time for harnesses, helmets, suits, and the like but we don't have a local storefront. If you jump ahead, you could do well by being an local available source that people can come to. Also, having G-Force here in Alpharetta, you would have direct contact with a supplier of good equipment that's affordable. :yes:

well since most shops buy parts straight from the supplier and no middle man I really doubt they would buy for you. Cause its almost impossible for you to sell it at a cheaper price.See the above statement. Also, most suppliers only allow dealers to sell at jobber price to keep the market fair. Which would mean that he's selling at the same price everyone else is, but he'd have the advantage of being a more local source.

Big Baller
11-16-2007, 02:24 PM
We need a local outlet store for racing equipment. I get calls all the time for harnesses, helmets, suits, and the like but we don't have a local storefront. If you jump ahead, you could do well by being an local available source that people can come to. Also, having G-Force here in Alpharetta, you would have direct contact with a supplier of good equipment that's affordable. :yes:

See the above statement. Also, most suppliers only allow dealers to sell at jobber price to keep the market fair. Which would mean that he's selling at the same price everyone else is, but he'd have the advantage of being a more local source.

www.discoveryparts.com

local and they support the local communinty.

GIXXERDK
11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
So basically you're opening up a warehouse.

Greddypacked
11-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I work at Auto Technology...

Thoughts:
The market in the auto world is down, lately. "High end" means high dollar. If people ain't got money to spend...you're not gonna succeed.

You're better off getting cheaper more frequent stuff that people NEED than stuff people want. Problem with that is that you're gonna have ALOT of competition...like autozone and stuff...

Tru, or he could be like Unique Autosports and build cars for all the famous rich people that can burn money for a fire.

Init2winit
11-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Good luck, but you probably will not succeed. Look at all of the small parts stores around......there are none. The reason being is the larger chain stores (AutoZone, Advance, Napa, O'reilly's, etc...) They are putting the little people out.

EvasiveEF9
11-16-2007, 03:54 PM
For example...how many times have you heard of "Main Auto Parts"

yerrow
11-16-2007, 08:54 PM
there's no money in parts

Papa_Smurf
11-16-2007, 09:29 PM
For example...how many times have you heard of "Main Auto Parts"

i live right near one.. old store, but they do sell good quality parts, but they dont get much in store business, but i think they deliver a good amount.

but overall, you dont have a good chance of succeeding.

Elbow
11-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Sorry but this is one of those things that cannot happen

1SICKLEX
11-18-2007, 10:18 AM
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/something-about-mary-hitchhiker.jpg

PSINXS
11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
most shops are already authorized dealers for major performance parts manufacturers. You will only be a middle man which not many shops like. Sorry but bad idea.

Mr_Mischif
11-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Well I wasn't thinking about opening a totally new store, I was thinking about opening a Super Autobacs over on the east coast. Seeing as how the one on the west coast is doing fine, I figure I could do the same over here.

Mr_Mischif
11-19-2007, 09:30 AM
most shops are already authorized dealers for major performance parts manufacturers. You will only be a middle man which not many shops like. Sorry but bad idea.
That's what I originally thought, but I figure that LA is the same way, yet people still buy from the Super Autobacs over there, and I figure if I can snag a distribution deal with some high-quality tuning house in Japan, I might not go brooke within five years.

2turbo4u
11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
First thing to remember is the automobile business(aftermarket) is controlled by the economy. So people don't have money to put food on the table or keep a roof above their heads, there not gonna spend it on useless junk. The Autobacs idea is a good one I will say.