PDA

View Full Version : exhaust building up on bumper

blacknightteg
11-14-2007, 08:32 PM
ok so its been this way for a little over a year or so now. i wash it and it just starts comming back. i posted up on here a while ago about it and someone mentioned that it was probably my valve seals or valve timing going bad i dont remember which one exactly. Is this the case? if so, what should i do? is it worth fixing? or should i just wait i have money and get a swap thats decently new? i was thinking about getting a swap eventually anyways, im just trying to finish up what i can on the exterior first. anyways, what is yalls opinion on what i should do? im tired of having my car clean one minute and an immediate build up the next! ghey!

EmminoDaGreat
11-14-2007, 08:42 PM
running rich, valve stem seals (usually) from engine braking. could be rings.

Thighs
11-14-2007, 08:52 PM
why would you do exterior mads before making it run right?
prioritize...

TicketRedBB6
11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
What kind of engine do you have? Vtec will do that sometimes. If you don't have vtec, then it's probably your rings, etc. like stated above.

blacknightteg
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
yeah i dont have vtec....well i wanted to get the outside finished cuz i knew it was gunna take a while to get enough money for the engine..i have my priorities straight, i just wanted to do it this way. but yeah wat do you think is the best option?

cobalt9123
11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
i'd say get a lip to go over it(the top of the exhaust cut out) until you fix the problem...my friend johnny did that on his white scion TC, put a carbon fiber lip(although it was real CF and was pretty expensive) his has VVT and i guess wouldn't stop but it actually looks good on white, dunno why it wouldn't on red

killerdx
11-14-2007, 09:40 PM
replace them rings and u should be aight, unless it starts usin alot of oil u got a while to save up for that new motor

blacknightteg
11-14-2007, 10:02 PM
yeah i know but i mean is it expensive to get new rings? thats the only thing im concerned about cuz i mean if it is expensive to get new rings and install them thn i would rather just use the money taht could go towards that for a new engine

killerdx
11-14-2007, 10:14 PM
man u can get a complete bearing set off of ebay comes with rings and acl bearings for like $80

blacknightteg
11-14-2007, 10:22 PM
oh

blacknightteg
11-14-2007, 10:22 PM
i dont want to do to much to this engine tho cuz i already have 187k on it so i dont want to kepe this engine that much longer

TicketRedBB6
11-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Well if that's the case then just save up for a new motor then. Your motor is obviously beginning to break down, which could easily be fixed. But with that many miles and if you want something else anyway, save up for a swap. Put a GSR motor in there:goodjob: . Of course any swap is gonna cost a minimum of atleast a 1000 but usually way more.

blacknightteg
11-15-2007, 07:57 AM
yeah i know. if i were to change the springs, how hard is it to do it myself?

EvasiveEF9
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
You are completely indecisive over what you wanna do, and your mind is clearly headed in the direction of a new motor as opposed to tearing this one apart and doing it right. It's a honda motor. At 187K it's just breaking in. Sure, it needs a little love and attention...but honda motors are notorious for last forever. Hell, my d15b2 rolled 281K miles last december. The ONLY reason I swapped was because I wanted more power...but I even kept that motor cuz it was just such a damn good motor.

If you're scared to do the work, just save up for the swap...but if you wanna grow a pair and dive into it and gain some knowledge and experience along the way, grab yourself a helms manual and dig in... Either way you look at it it's gonna put you out of a car for a little bit. As for that crap building up on the back of your car, use some Simple Green from walmart. It's a hardcore cleaner, and will get that **** as clean as humanly possible... But wax it after cuz it will even take off your wax...

As for my B-series motor that I use now...it builds black on the back of my car...so I'm fixing that problem with a full overhaul, and prepping the bottom end for some power adders down the road. ACL bearings, Honda OEM rings, Honda OEM water and oil pump, and OEM Timing belt, and getting the ***** honed. Once I gather money down the road the head will get ripped off and rebuilt. P&P, valve job, shaved/decked, and all new seals on a thing head gasket. Nothing big...but it'll give me just a little more compression (about .9:1cr, if I remember right?) Not to mention, practically a new motor when it's said and done...

blacknightteg
11-15-2007, 08:18 AM
i am looking to get more power, not just a new motor that is new and runs good. i want to have a little more power then this LS is putting out, thats why i want a new motor. I would like to have something like a GSR motor that i can mod out steadly and make more power you kno. but if i were to fix the problem that i am having, how hard is it to fix this problem?

EvasiveEF9
11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
i am looking to get more power, not just a new motor that is new and runs good. i want to have a little more power then this LS is putting out, thats why i want a new motor. I would like to have something like a GSR motor that i can mod out steadly and make more power you kno. but if i were to fix the problem that i am having, how hard is it to fix this problem?
It's hard to say, man. As stated, it could be your rings, it could be your fuel pressure regulator dumping too much, could be a vacuum leak, could be an o2 sensor, could be valve seals...with mechanical stuff, there's not really ever any guarantees. There's several things it could be. Getting parts isn't the expensive part...it's gonna be the labor. Me, personally, I don't do head work. I send it off to a guy I trust and has done SEVERAL quality machine-works for me out in Acworth. But for bottom end...that's easy as hell.

As for your "no-power" LS motor...have you considered LSVTEC? Poor mans ITR? Or just building a turbo for it? Where are the adventurous people who wanna play with what they got instead of just a simple swap? I mean I know this is Honda...I know this is 2007, almost 2008, and everything under the sun has been done. I just like to see people step up there game and get into it to do stuff a little more rare.

I'm not saying you're dumb for considering the GSR swap. I'm not saying you're a poon, either. All I'm saying is just consider all of your options...

Hell, I was gonna build a b20vtec for a 91 civic hatch that's gutted and slammed...why didn't I? I enlisted, and I leave for boot in like 2 months, LoL...

blacknightteg
11-15-2007, 08:43 AM
yeah was considering doing the LSvtec or a b20

EvasiveEF9
11-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Be adventurous, man! You've got the room in the engine bay! Go for it!

blacknightteg
11-15-2007, 09:03 AM
yeah, i think im going too...lol im tired of lagging behind friends of mines cars...its not cool

DeeAOne
11-15-2007, 09:13 AM
i'd say get a lip to go over it(the top of the exhaust cut out) until you fix the problem...my friend johnny did that on his white scion TC, put a carbon fiber lip(although it was real CF and was pretty expensive) his has VVT and i guess wouldn't stop but it actually looks good on white, dunno why it wouldn't on red
sorry to jack your thread, but is VVT to toyota like VTEC is to honda? ive heard yes and no.

mocha latte cupcake
11-15-2007, 09:16 AM
stop complaining you own a honda... besides you have an exhaust... either way tuned or not... having a free flowing exhaust WILL put crap on you're bumper.. part of life there buddy... my buddies civic is tuned just fine, built block, turbo etc etc... black ish everywhere every week on the back of his bumper.. just the way it is D

blacknightteg
11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
sorry to jack your thread, but is VVT to toyota like VTEC is to honda? ive heard yes and no.

there is two types of toyota "vtec" if im not mistaken....there is VVT ( variable Valve Timing) and VVTLI ( Variable valve timing the L stands for LIFT if im not mistaken but im not sure what hte I stands for)

EvasiveEF9
11-15-2007, 10:37 AM
there is two types of toyota "vtec" if im not mistaken....there is VVT ( variable Valve Timing) and VVTLI ( Variable valve timing the L stands for LIFT if im not mistaken but im not sure what hte I stands for)
I stands for "incredible"

blacknightteg
11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
lol i will say this about the vvtli motor, it is amazingly fast in my opinion. my friend has a celia gts and all he really has in it is an exhaust intake and AEM pully, but when that **** hits lift. my god in heaven does it feel fast

EvasiveEF9
11-15-2007, 11:09 AM
lol i will say this about the vvtli motor, it is amazingly fast in my opinion. my friend has a celia gts and all he really has in it is an exhaust intake and AEM pully, but when that **** hits lift. my god in heaven does it feel fast
*sigh* I can't wait to have mine done...