PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple=more HP?

AnthonyF
11-13-2007, 07:54 AM
I was watching some show. They had a brand new engine, looked like a small block v8 on an engine dyno. brand new regular oil and brand new oil filter. made xxx amount of hp and tq. Well, they changed the oil filter, and put in Royal Purple, ran the engine at the SAME temp and speeds and gained around 11ft lbs of tq and 8-9 hp. :thinking: Can just oil do that? and how? is it that much thinner? If its too thin isn't it getting too hot inside? I havent really read up on R.P. but i dont feel like spending 10 bucks on a qt of oil.

If my car ever becomes the garage queen then i'll think about it.

Frög
11-13-2007, 07:56 AM
rice boy..

The Ninja
11-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Royal Purple = Rice

AnthonyF
11-13-2007, 07:58 AM
^^^ wow. 2 dumbass statements. honestly, why post?

Sport1.3
11-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Royal Purple = waste of money

that battle was full synthetic Vs. Non Synthetic/partial Synthetic im sure

AnthonyF
11-13-2007, 08:05 AM
^^ you are probably right. I wish i turned the channel on quicker to see what oil they were sticking in.

Hulud
11-13-2007, 08:20 AM
i use royal purple cause it quiets my lifters

turbosx©
11-13-2007, 08:27 AM
thicker oil can do that to.

Hulud
11-13-2007, 08:41 AM
thicker oil can do that to.
i know some people have had good things with changing to 10w-40 and others, but ive also heard the same about royal purple, i might try 10-40 next time if i keep losing oil, cause i think it is seeping out through the seals

but i cant see any evidence of drippage and im not burning oil either

Elbow
11-13-2007, 08:54 AM
I put Royal Purple in my car and now I chirp 3rd

Sport1.3
11-13-2007, 08:55 AM
^^ you are probably right. I wish i turned the channel on quicker to see what oil they were sticking in.

There are plenty of variables that go into those studies that are "conveniently" left out. There was a show on Speed that was testing the new Corvette and different Fuel manufacturers/companies. they performed a baseline and test some 5-10 different brands. They found that in a week long study that certain brands of gas yielded higher performance gains. (ex. Shell/BP were as high as 9-12whp higher then Racetrac/QT/Exxon etc). all they stated in the test was that they filled up a certain amount, tested it, then filled with a different brands Gas. There is alot of information left out that could explain such a vast difference, when octane levels and fuel additives are set at standerdized levels across the board

Its true some oil will def outperform another, but in the full synthetic market that difference is very narrow. IMO a Mobil 1 full synthetic used in a newer motor is your best bet. Its not expensive, its sold everywhere and performs just as well as any other oil on the market.

Sport1.3
11-13-2007, 09:00 AM

DAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! :crazy:

The Ninja
11-13-2007, 09:11 AM
It was just a joke. I honestly didn't see his post before I posted. Relax man, live a little.

Hulud
11-13-2007, 09:11 AM
did you have the lifter ticking goin on?

AnthonyF
11-13-2007, 09:13 AM
i use royal purple cause it quiets my lifters

so does adding in some ATF to your oil.

AnthonyF
11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
It was just a joke. I honestly didn't see his post before I posted. Relax man, live a little.

lol. i am living. it was mainly to frog. 98% towards him 2% towards you. :goodjob: he likes to talk shìt. :blah:

Hulud
11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
so does adding in some ATF to your oil.
havent heard of that before

IDCoconut
11-13-2007, 09:17 AM
I use 15-50 in my car. High compression really runs hot and thins out the oil. I've tried royal purple on my car and really feel no difference compared to the usual mobil1 full synthetic.

My father tried it also and really felt it was a waste of money for daily driving.

Elbow
11-13-2007, 09:18 AM
did you have the lifter ticking goin on?

I did but didnt use Royal Purple but hear good things about it, I used a heavier weight and the lifter tick stopped. It just does it for a second right when it starts sometimes. I might try Royal Purple next oil change.

speedminded
11-13-2007, 09:22 AM
There are plenty of variables that go into those studies that are "conveniently" left out. There was a show on Speed that was testing the new Corvette and different Fuel manufacturers/companies. they performed a baseline and test some 5-10 different brands. They found that in a week long study that certain brands of gas yielded higher performance gains. (ex. Shell/BP were as high as 9-12whp higher then Racetrac/QT/Exxon etc). all they stated in the test was that they filled up a certain amount, tested it, then filled with a different brands Gas. There is alot of information left out that could explain such a vast difference, when octane levels and fuel additives are set at standerdized levels across the board

Its true some oil will def outperform another, but in the full synthetic market that difference is very narrow. IMO a Mobil 1 full synthetic used in a newer motor is your best bet. Its not expensive, its sold everywhere and performs just as well as any other oil on the market.There is no such thing as Mobil 1 full synthetic ;) After they lost the lawsuit to Castrol over the use of the phrase "full synthetic" they too quit producing a true full synthetic...yet they didn't tell the public and they still sell it at the same price as before.

Sport1.3
11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
There is no such thing as Mobil 1 full synthetic ;) After they lost the lawsuit to Castrol over the use of the phrase "full synthetic" they too quit producing a true full synthetic...yet they didn't tell the public and they still sell it at the same price as before.

lol i forgot about that. Sorry, Semi-Synthetic then ;)

Dietcoke
11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Royal purple is pretty thick synthetic. There is no rating, its just royal purple synthetic. Its around a 20-50 though. It's not certified by ANSI standards because its not rated, and because of its viscosity. I've heard a lot of good things, and I've heard some not so good things. Consider if you have warranty, that the dealership can void that warranty because your not using a certified oil (which honestly, is the reason I refuse to use the stuff). A lot of people like it. Kinda expensive, I'll stick to me $23.38 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 5-30 in the sky turbo

jbhondatech
11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
A Royal Purple rep would never tell you that this oil will give you more power. The oil does have a high tollerence to sheering forces and a long drain life. It is not the oil that gives these properties but the addative package they put into the oil. There normal oil is availible in standard weights and they also have a compatition grade oil that has a higher consentration of the addative. I have personaly seen this oil out perform mobil 1 and castrol the only thing that came close was redline. I have seen RP gain 3whp on a dynopac at Knowledge Performance. If you don't want to switch to synthetic then I suggest the BG product MOA this is the oil addative package by itself and can be added to any oil.

DarkMystic
11-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Dyno means nothing when it comes to oil...

with that said check out the dyno of RP, redline, amoils, greddy, mobil 1, and more here!

http://my.prostreetonline.com/t2540.htm

*cliff notes so far in order of dyno*
350z is on the dyno

-Pennzoil (reported what he already had in the car) - 224.59 hp and 220.46 ft/lbs
-Greddy - 231.52 hp and 224.35 ft/lbs
-Amsoil - 237.49 hp and 223.81 ft/lbs
-Royal Purple - 242 hp and 226.53 ft/lbs (so far...read the link for more info.)
-Mobil 1 - 232.78 hp and 217.43 ft/lbs

You should be more worried about how well the oil will be in your car after a couple thousand miles rather than a dyno....

i use RP by the way...lol

jbhondatech
11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
very true

dorin48
11-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Royal purple is pretty thick synthetic. There is no rating, its just royal purple synthetic. Its around a 20-50 though. It's not certified by ANSI standards because its not rated, and because of its viscosity. I've heard a lot of good things, and I've heard some not so good things.

= wrong :(

A Royal Purple rep would never tell you that this oil will give you more power. The oil does have a high tollerence to sheering forces and a long drain life. It is not the oil that gives these properties but the addative package they put into the oil. There normal oil is availible in standard weights and they also have a compatition grade oil that has a higher consentration of the addative. I have personaly seen this oil out perform mobil 1 and castrol the only thing that came close was redline. I have seen RP gain 3whp on a dynopac at Knowledge Performance. If you don't want to switch to synthetic then I suggest the BG product MOA this is the oil addative package by itself and can be added to any oil.

= right! :goodjob:

ita actually the same price as mobil 1 at Oriley's. For $7 a quart i would pic r/p.

Frög
11-13-2007, 02:31 PM
^^^ wow. 2 dumbass statements. honestly, why post?

cuz i feel like it b!tch!

chituntang
11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Dyno means nothing when it comes to oil...

with that said check out the dyno of RP, redline, amoils, greddy, mobil 1, and more here!

http://my.prostreetonline.com/t2540.htm

*cliff notes so far in order of dyno*
350z is on the dyno

-Pennzoil (reported what he already had in the car) - 224.59 hp and 220.46 ft/lbs
-Greddy - 231.52 hp and 224.35 ft/lbs
-Amsoil - 237.49 hp and 223.81 ft/lbs
-Royal Purple - 242 hp and 226.53 ft/lbs (so far...read the link for more info.)
-Mobil 1 - 232.78 hp and 217.43 ft/lbs

You should be more worried about how well the oil will be in your car after a couple thousand miles rather than a dyno....

i use RP by the way...lol

+1

Less friction= more power, so less oil= less friction. I would not risk this. Or I would spend 10-15 more every oil change for within 5whp...

Crazy Asian
11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I hate oil ****. You never know which one is suited for your car. Hell especially the climate. All I knnow is that if you start to use synthetic oil for your car around 100,000
be prepared for some damage to your engine. Gaskets and seal start to break apart.
I have to start looking for some new oil soon too. Ive hit 87000 miles and Im start to wonder what i should be using.

madking411
11-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Hm, since the topic is ''oil''......I wouldnt call this a ''gain'' or anything, but after i put new oil in my car, it revved up a LOT higher....cuz, before, it only went up to ~5 or 6 thousand before shiftin...Now, it goes complete redline, gets up there quicker, and stays up there for a lot longer of a time before goin to the next gear....Feels like a new car!:yes:

Frög
11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I hate oil ****. You never know which one is suited for your car. Hell especially the climate. All I knnow is that if you start to use synthetic oil for your car around 100,000
be prepared for some damage to your engine. Gaskets and seal start to break apart.
I have to start looking for some new oil soon too. Ive hit 87000 miles and Im start to wonder what i should be using.

im my lude, i just threw in w/e.. cheap oil, i didnt care.. its a honda, it can handle it..

i know which oil to use, it tells me under my hood.. Mobile 1 Synthetic 0w40..

TheDarkRacer
11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
For all you non believers, go to RP's site. They have like 10 test done by independent company's, and dyno shops ect, and have proven that their oil to top notch ****. Its 7buks for a quart. not deadly expensive. Its like anything else, you get what you pay for. Higher priced oil with proven performance gains, reduced friction, a better heat transfer, and longer oil change intervals wuts not to go wrong. You can go 8k running royal purp and be fine. Thats well worth the price. even if you use napp oil, you sill are paying the same price if you think about it.

P.s. dont add Lucas oil addtives to you car. **** makes foam....

GangstaCoupe
11-15-2007, 07:14 PM
We use either the royal purple racing I think its #7 or some other brand (I forget now, I can look it up) that is about like snake oil. Anyway both of them are oxygenated and have a few other supposed “performance" additives in them. Usually it will pick the cars up 500th's to a tenth. However its only good for maybe 10-12 runs and you will see it drop back off.

DUBSf22c
11-15-2007, 07:34 PM
only use AMSOIL, REDLINE AND ENEOS OR CASTROL .. THOSE ARE THE BEST

DUBSf22c
11-15-2007, 07:37 PM
oh and everyone

will tell you everything!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Kyle
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
My friends dad builds racing engines, and he used the dyno and tested oils and royal purple made more power(on a 302).

xb1
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
oh and everyone
will tell you everything!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
So true, but I still use RP b/c I hate paying shipping for Redline. And, as a side note, what certification does RP not have?

RandomGuy
11-16-2007, 03:57 AM
^^ you are probably right. I wish i turned the channel on quicker to see what oil they were sticking in.probably canola oil

Init2winit
11-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Less friction = more power, and better gas mileage. That is why manufacturers are using such thin oil now.