PDA

View Full Version : HEEEEELLLLPPP! I'M STUCK W/A LEMON

streetdreamz
11-09-2007, 03:01 PM
hey fellas i need some advice. I traded this guy for a 95 Maxima. I knew the trade was too good to be true because this car is in perfect condition. Well of course about 3 days later the engine is knockin like crazy. Someone told me that it's probably about to throw a rod and it's best to just replace the whole engine. I called Best Japanese and they want $950 for a motor. Is there anywhere I can get it for less either locally or online? I ain't got dat kinda loot right now man. Also do you guys think the entire motor needs to be replaced? Any info you boys got will be helpful. I'm a family guy and I need my ride. I may have to even sell my Honda just to get this one squared away.

Dracc
11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
what maxima from who.. and junk yard .. probably

SE-Rious1
11-09-2007, 03:12 PM
those cars arent really worth all the money to invest in them thats when it time for a swap but since u dont have the money try using it has a partial down payment for something else that runs

speedminded
11-09-2007, 03:15 PM
How does this make it a lemon?

Another engine will probably be cheaper than rebuilding :2cents:

SE-Rious1
11-09-2007, 03:17 PM
How does this make it a lemon?

Another engine will probably be cheaper than rebuilding :2cents:
True a lemon is more when u are leasing something that aint all there when u leave the lot but in a trade you get what you get and thats why u should always have a mechanic on hand to check it over first hand but hey have someone test the oil pump...

speedminded
11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
True a lemon is more when u are leasing something that aint all there when u leave the lot but in a trade you get what you get and thats why u should always have a mechanic on hand to check it over first hand but hey have someone test the oil pump...Lemons pertain to vehicles with manufacturer defects requiring repeated repairs & maintainence while the vehicle is under warranty...and pretty sure it doesn't pertain to used cars.

SE-Rious1
11-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Lemons pertain to vehicles with manufacturer defects requiring repeated repairs & maintainence while the vehicle is under warranty...and pretty sure it doesn't pertain to used cars.
true

Barefoot
11-10-2007, 04:08 AM
great everybody he knows what a lemon is now. move on to the rest of his question. personally id just replace the whole motor from anyplace offering a warranty on the motor. where that is hit the yellow pages and start callin around because im not sure off hand.

speedminded
11-10-2007, 09:51 AM
great everybody he knows what a lemon is now. move on to the rest of his question. personally id just replace the whole motor from anyplace offering a warranty on the motor. where that is hit the yellow pages and start callin around because im not sure off hand.Great everybody, he knows he needs another engine because we've already established it would be cheaper than rebuilding several posts back. Move on to the rest of the question of where to get one. :slap:

EmminoDaGreat
11-10-2007, 09:57 AM
a lemon is also a vehicle that is sold in an emissions county, that cannot pass emissions.

Barefoot
11-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Great everybody, he knows he needs another engine because we've already established it would be cheaper than rebuilding several posts back. Move on to the rest of the question of where to get one. :slap:
not worth the time.

allmotoronly
11-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Did you sign a bill of sale? Does the bill of sale clearly state that there is no warranty expressed or implied? if it doesn't say anything, you may be able to take the guy to court and either get some money to fix the engine, or he may have to buy the car back. This will only work if you have had the car for a very short amount of time. Anything longer than say 30 days, and it will be hard to prove that the problem was already there.

streetdreamz
11-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Did you sign a bill of sale? Does the bill of sale clearly state that there is no warranty expressed or implied? if it doesn't say anything, you may be able to take the guy to court and either get some money to fix the engine, or he may have to buy the car back. This will only work if you have had the car for a very short amount of time. Anything longer than say 30 days, and it will be hard to prove that the problem was already there.

it wasn't even 3 days before the engine started knocking. But it has been less than a week since the trade.

BuBBa DRiFT
11-10-2007, 11:55 PM
my friend bought it from a used dealer in atlanta and the motor started knocking 17 days later. i gotta ask him if he checked the AS IS box on the contract.

Echonova
11-11-2007, 12:22 AM
$950 for a motor ain't bad. Spend the cash, consider your lession learned.

LeX
11-12-2007, 12:37 AM
a 95 maxima motor will be way less than 950.. car-part.com has GA junkyards with maxima motors as low as 300 dollars

streetdreamz
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
thnx. I just checked it out. I'm going to hv the car checked out, bcuz i understand it could be several different things that may not be so major. So I got my fingers crossed. Does anybody have an reliable references that can r&r an engine? Between Cobb and Paulding?

Fr33way
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Check knock sensor and coil packs. Do you have any codes? If you don't know how to read them Autozone or Advance can pull them for you and print them out. You get those and you may have a starting point for troubleshooting this engine. Otherwise, as LeX said, VQ30s go for $300-500.