PDA

View Full Version : Is stealing wrong?

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I see people always talking about watching movies off the internet and downloading songs and CDs without paying for them.

If you enjoy a movie or an artist for their talents, why not have the decency to support them and pay for it?

This is the reason honest people that pay for entertainment have to pay much higher rates. The same reason people that do insurance fraud cause rates for honest people's insurance premiums to go up.

So, are you living in such extreme poverty that you can't afford to pay $8.00 for a movie? Or $15 for a CD?

I really would enjoy to hear the reasoning on why you steal movies, music and other services. I hope to never see any of you complain when your car gets stolen or any other personal belonging. It's the same exact thing only you're the victim.

BKgen®
11-09-2007, 09:21 AM
itunes ftw. i pay for my sh*t.

BTW, since when do movies cost $8.00??

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
itunes ftw. i pay for my sh*t.

BTW, since when do movies cost $8.00??
I paid $9.50 a ticket the other night at AMC.

Every song or CD I have has been paid for. Even when friends offer to burn a CD for me that I want I refuse it.

This is also referring to people who walk out on the check at a restaurant. It's pathetic.

BKgen®
11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
k. i thought you were referring to DVDs since you said CDs right after it.

1000cckiller
11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
I paid $9.50 a ticket the other night at AMC.

Every song or CD I have has been paid for. Even when friends offer to burn a CD for me that I want I refuse it.

This is also referring to people who walk out on the check at a restaurant. It's pathetic.dude times have changed, so you might as well get use to it.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 09:27 AM
dude times have changed, so you might as well get use to it.
So you're saying it's ok to steal?

Ran
11-09-2007, 09:27 AM
BTW, since when do movies cost $8.00??Used movies at Moviestop FTMFW :goodjob:

The only things I actually download anymore are my anime episodes for series that are still airing in Japan. Fansubbers do subtitles so that the English speaking populous can enjoy it before it's released stateside. However, one a series is licensed, I delete it from my computer and buy them outright. I prefer having legit items. :yes:

1000cckiller
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
So you're saying it's ok to steal?one dont put words in my mouth. Secondly quit comlpaining about **** you nor I can change.

redrumracer
11-09-2007, 09:33 AM
netflix ftw unlimited rentals!!

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 09:33 AM
one dont put words in my mouth. Secondly quit comlpaining about **** you nor I can change.
I never said I, or anyone else, could change anything. Don't put words in my mouth.

This post was more or less trying to figure out why people do it or how they justify it. It's also to put stealing into perspective for some.

How can someone gripe about their car being stolen or when they get ripped off on something, when they themselves steal.

4dmin
11-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Well most artist make more money touring then anything else... very little is made on the music it self. A record label gives you a contract we'll say for 1M, then you sell 1M cd's but you only make .50 per sale. The artist will see 500,000 out of 10M. So downloading music to me isn't that big of a deal; it isn't the artist that will starve over a few pennys. The record executive may not be able to buy another Ferrari if you download music (Boo Hoo!).

Thats my take on it... and I listen to underground metal/hardcore; I don't normally hear about indie labels complaining kids stole their music.

Movies have become ridiculously expensive... it is all supply and demand I would rather pay 14.99 for a new DVD then pay 20.00 for my wife/i to see it in the theatre.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Well most artist make more money touring then anything else... very little is made on the music it self. A record label gives you a contract we'll say for 1M, then you sell 1M cd's but you only make .50 per sale. The artist will see 500,000 out of 10M. So downloading music to me isn't that big of a deal; it isn't the artist that will starve over a few pennys. The record executive may not be able to buy another Ferrari if you download music (Boo Hoo!).

Thats my take on it... and I listen to underground metal/hardcore; I don't normally hear about indie labels complaining kids stole their music.
I understand. But say your income was based on sales, would you feel the same way?

It's not only the artist that gets money taken from them. There are people that package the CDs, that print the material, that design the material, ship the material, that advertise and market the material and so on.

If an artist is completely fine with sharing their music for free, more power to them. It's not always only the artist that's been stolen from.

wantboost
11-09-2007, 09:39 AM
i collect cd's and if i am unsure about one i will download then buy. for movies i buy them used. and for anime same as ran except i dont delete them after they come state side 750 gb ftw.

4dmin
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I understand. But say your income was based on sales, would you feel the same way?

It's not only the artist that gets money taken from them. There are people that package the CDs, that print the material, that design the material, ship the material, that advertise and market the material and so on.

If an artist is completely fine with sharing their music for free, more power to them. It's not always only the artist that's been stolen from.

Again you can spin this... all of these same people will lose jobs due to the internet... why would I pay 15$ for a cd when I could download it cheaper on amazon. There is no packaging, print work needed at that time. The only people making a fuss about this are record executives and the saddest thing about it is records sales have not seen losses since the internet/napster/bittorrent/etc. I'm sorry but this is something minimal to complain about.

How about system leeches... welfare, food stamps, school vouchers, healthcare, etc.? You want to see impact of theft just look around you; media sales vs. internet is minimal.

Elbow
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
I dont download movies.

Second for music the only stuff I download are songs I cant find on CD's. A lot of the time I get music, like it, buy the CD.

Kyle
11-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't download movies. Music, yes. Here is why:

1. I don't feel bad about taking intellectual property.
2. For 99% of the music I have, if I didn't download I wouldnt buy it from them anyway.
3. Thus it isn't taking profits away, as I am not stealing cd's. All this stuff is already shared on the internet, so adding one more person who has it doesn't matter.
4. If I went and bought all the cd's I have tracks from on itunes(for me that would be 1,200 cd's), I would spend 1200 x $15 = $17,000. That's absurd.

note: I'm aware their are many holes in my reasoning, and reasons why it's still wrong to take it.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 09:48 AM
How about system leeches... welfare, food stamps, school vouchers, healthcare, etc.? You want to see impact of theft just look around you; media sales vs. internet is minimal.
I agree whole-heartedly. I just focused on music and entertainment because I think everyone here can relate to that.

1000cckiller
11-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Again you can spin this... all of these same people will lose jobs due to the internet... why would I pay 15$ for a cd when I could download it cheaper on amazon. There is no packaging, print work needed at that time. The only people making a fuss about this are record executives and the saddest thing about it is records sales have not seen losses since the internet/napster/bittorrent/etc. I'm sorry but this is something minimal to complain about.

How about system leeches... welfare, food stamps, school vouchers, healthcare, etc.? You want to see impact of theft just look around you; media sales vs. internet is minimal.exactly, not only that on most cds there are only one or two good songs. Why would I pay 15 to 20 dollars for one or two songs.

Thighs
11-09-2007, 10:06 AM
i dl music out the ass. but if theres a band i like and want to support, ill buy their cd. most of the songs i download are random songs that may be hard to find on a cd.

Deke
I'm streaky with my downloading. I rarely ever download movies (actually I don't think I have since they shut down I2hub). As for music I don't download very often. When a CD comes out that I really want, I buy it regardless if it's available to me through download or even just a burned CD from a friend. I like the official stuff :)

I also go to a pretty good amount of concerts, so I donate to the musicians (a lot more than the record companies) by going to those.

Oh and I absolutely loathe the RIAA. Targeting college students as an example, and then giving them the ultimatum "Pay this amount of money or we're taking you to court" is just bull****. It's like a cop asking for a bribe.

On a side note: What's the deal with being able to get fairly new DVDs for $5-10 (Best Buy and Circuit City sales), but it seems like CDs never go down in price. Sometimes the older ones are actually more expensive. Is this just an example of a crooked recording industry? (I honestly don't know, just asking)

iloveboost
exactly, not only that on most cds there are only one or two good songs. Why would I pay 15 to 20 dollars for one or two songs.
It's rare that I buy entire CDs either. I typically find everything I need on Itunes.

umairejaz
11-09-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree it might not be right but as technology advances so must the industry, its just something they have to overcome. Also, when did becoming an "artist" have anything to do with having outrageous amounts of money?

1000cckiller
11-09-2007, 10:13 AM
It's rare that I buy entire CDs either. I typically find everything I need on Itunes.I dont agree with stealing. But I also dont agree with paying higher, than I should. People have made this country the way it is now, nothing here is honest anymore.

quickdodge®
11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
i dl music out the ass. but if theres a band i like and want to support, ill buy their cd. most of the songs i download are random songs that may be hard to find on a cd.

I was pretty much going to post the same thing. If I have a certain artist that i like, I'll buy his stuff outright. But most of the time, Ithere is only one or two songs off an album that I like and I'm not spending $15 for two songs. Later, QD.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I agree it might not be right but as technology advances so must the industry, its just something they have to overcome. Also, when did becoming an "artist" have anything to do with having outrageous amounts of money?
So CEOs, Presidents of companies, business owners, and other successful people shouldn't be paid handsomely for their hard work and success? Give me a break. I figured you to be a little brighter than that. :rolleyes:

I was pretty much going to post the same thing. If I have a certain artist that i like, I'll buy his stuff outright. But most of the time, Ithere is only one or two songs off an album that I like and I'm not spending $15 for two songs. Later, QD.
Same here. I love Itunes.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I dont agree with stealing. But I also dont agree with paying higher, than I should. People have made this country the way it is now, nothing here is honest anymore.
100% true. It's the 5% dishonest people that ruin it for the other 95%.

The reason songs on Itunes are .99 cents - $1.50 is because music labels aren't making the money they should because the songs they're selling are getting ripped off. Being ripped off by people that think stealing "intellectual property" is ok.

Vteckidd
11-09-2007, 10:29 AM
:goodjob:

Jimmy B
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
i d/l songs to save the earth..

plastice are thrown away when you buy cds and throw away the wrapper.. so, im saving the earth!

accually, i just read that on some website.. encouraging people to d/l instead of buy cd's :)

1000cckiller
11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
100% true. It's the 5% dishonest people that ruin it for the other 95%.

The reason songs on Itunes are .99 cents - $1.50 is because music labels aren't making the money they should because the songs they're selling are getting ripped off. Being ripped off by people that think stealing "intellectual property" is ok.I agree

TIGERJC
11-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I actually have a paid membership that only cost me like $30 a year and I get to download 100 songs. I only use Morpheus when the song just came out and isnt available on the pay music site I have my membership on.

I buy all my DVDs also.

Its funny how ppl are trying to justify stealing movies and cds, the **** is no different than shoplifting

VegetaRules
11-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Well, I'm in agreeance with QD and What Lag as well. Most CD's nowadays only have 2-4 real songs, & the rest are interludes,skits, & garbage. Now me I used to be a shipping supervisor of Turtles/Peppermint, in GA, so I also know what it costs to make a CD versus what we pay for it.

The music industry could have benifitted by just slightly lowering the price of CD's & their problem would be a little less of a problem.

Now not to be funny ILOVBOOST, but it's ironic you making this post to complain about people stealing music & what not, while you break the law I'd guess on a pretty regular basics street racing.

No offense, but GOD said no sin is greater than the other.:goodjob: Again, not trying to be funny, because my goal is to get into the killsforum next year, but you complaining, or bringing this up while repeatedly law breaking yourself is hmmm....ironic. ;) lol....Vegeta

pontiacsftw
11-09-2007, 10:57 AM
well i steal a lot of ****...

1000cckiller
11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
well i steal a lot of ****...noobs FTL :rolleyes:

Vteckidd
11-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I dont DL DVDs because it takes up too much space and too much time. Id rather just buy the DVD for $13.

Music wise, well, if its an artist i really like i buy the CD. Usually most sites dont have accurate track listings and the quality isnt top notch.

I DL the occasional song that i know i wont buy the album.

VegetaRules
11-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh, also to clarify, I don't DL movies either, I actually buy all my DVD's. I also don't DL new music, mostly because I like the older music, when it was really music, & not a 5 minute song with 1 minute of coherent rapping. lol

Also I-tunes is kinda limited on older music, their search engine's weird, so I really only DL songs, I know I can't get on CD's. Which really I don't DL that much anyhow.....Vegeta

dartingd
11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
This is definitely a touchy subject. I don't download music or movies, but did download frontpage recently. Granted I purchased it a week later. I had planned on buying it to begin with, but needed it then, and got it. So was that stealing, I dunno. I paid $100.00 out of my pocket for the program when I could have kept it and had no issue with getting caught or anything probably ever because I like to own things I feel shouldn't be shared. Music I don't know. Movies I don't think you should download. I'll have to think on the music thing and post again, lol.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Now not to be funny ILOVBOOST, but it's ironic you making this post to complain about people stealing music & what not, while you break the law I'd guess on a pretty regular basics street racing.
So speeding is a sin. I'll have to check for that one again.

My actions do not effect millions of people or steal from anyone's pocket. If anything, I'm helping the economy by using more gas, nitrous, tires and maintenance on my car. If I ever get caught, I'll continue to help by hiring a lawyer, paying fines to the government, and contributing to the protection of our citizens by paying an officer's salary. I'll gladly pay my dues when they're owed.

If I broke the law, and lied or cheated my way out of it and it adversely effected the community/economy, I can understand where you're coming from. You're comparing apples to oranges.

OneSlow5pt0
11-09-2007, 01:57 PM
i always buy CDs....cause when i buy a cd,i like the artist and all thier songs......if want a single, buy a single...........i dont have any DLed music on my computer,and could careless.......i like supporting my fav bands

OneSlow5pt0
11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
and idk what yall buy but i pay usally $9.99-11.99 for a new cd at bestbuy....so less than .99 a song

Ran
11-09-2007, 02:05 PM
My actions do not effect millions of people or steal from anyone's pocket.Perhaps but, on the other hand, your actions could injured or even kill other people. Downloading music would not.

Just another way to look at it.

:)

Deke
11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Perhaps but, on the other hand, your actions could injured or even kill other people. Downloading music would not.

Haha, I was going to play devil's advocate, but you beat me.

wantboost
11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Perhaps but, on the other hand, your actions could injured or even kill other people. Downloading music would not.

beat me to it.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 02:09 PM

The only people I race assume the same liability they would at a race track. There are 0 cars in sight whenever I race at 2am in the morning on an empty highway.

Apples and oranges.

dartingd
11-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Ya. I mean you can't be hypocritical about it. Speeding is breaking the law, as is stealing music, which I'm still not convinced it's stealing. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

Psycho
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
satellite radio > CDs

dartingd
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
The only people I race assume the same liability they would at a race track. There are 0 cars in sight whenever I race at 2am in the morning on an empty highway.

Apples and oranges.

Yes, but someone could come out of nowhere and then what. People aren't around when these guys download music. Does that make it okay?

Psycho
11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

What a faggy arguement, you're a homo.

dartingd
11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
What a faggy arguement, you're a homo.

How is that a "faggy" comment?

4dmin
i haven't seen much discussion about pirated software? how many people are using legit copys of windows, mac os, office, photoshop, macromedia, etc?

iloveboost
Ya. I mean you can't be hypocritical about it. Speeding is breaking the law, as is stealing music, which I'm still not convinced it's stealing. Breaking the law is breaking the law.
Is speeding immoral? Stealing effects millions. My speeding involves 2 people who assume liability. No innocent bystanders or civilians.

We can go around and around about what's legal, what's right, what's wrong and dance around the subject all you'd like. Doesn't change the fact that it costs honest people a lot of money.

i haven't seen much discussion about pirated software? how many people are using legit copys of windows, mac os, office, photoshop, macromedia, etc?
I don't have macromedia or photoshop. If I did, I'd buy each program. :D But according to some, it doesn't matter because everyone else does it.

Ran
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
i haven't seen much discussion about pirated software? how many people are using legit copys of windows, mac os, office, photoshop, macromedia, etc?:) :hi:

turbosx©
11-09-2007, 02:15 PM
If they were that honest things wouldn't cost so much would they?

dartingd
11-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Is speeding immoral? Stealing effects millions. My speeding involves 2 people who assume liability. No innocent bystanders or civilians.

We can go around and around about what's legal, what's right, what's wrong and dance around the subject all you'd like. Doesn't change the fact that it costs honest people a lot of money.

I don't have macromedia or photoshop. If I did, I'd buy each program.

Well, if you're going to talk about breaking the law being immoral, then yes, speeding is. Not going to bring people's consiousness into the discussion, though. Like I said, someone could come from a side road or from somewhere you didn't see or expect. BTW, kudo's for not being jerky and having a discussion, not an argument, lol.

Paul, I made a post about downloading pirated software if you saw it. Thoughts on that?

Psycho
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
How is that a "faggy" comment?
It has absolutly nothing to do with what's being said here, and it just sounds like something a whiney little twat would say.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes, but someone could come out of nowhere and then what. People aren't around when these guys download music. Does that make it okay?
You're speaking out of ignorance and your arguement is beyond retarded. What does having someone around while stealing music have anything to do with anything we're talking about?

When I go race it's on a weeknight or weekend about an hour and a half outside of Atlanta between 1:00am to 4:00am when there are no other cars around. What does that have anything to do with anything? It's irrelevant.

Deke
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Edit: Haha, scratch that.

OneSlow5pt0
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
buts its a free country,so when u do these things u know u can get in trouble,...idk,i just like having cds in my hands

dartingd
11-09-2007, 02:23 PM
You're speaking out of ignorance and your arguement is beyond retarded. What does having someone around while stealing music have anything to do with anything we're talking about?

When I go race it's on a weeknight or weekend about an hour and a half outside of Atlanta between 1:00am to 4:00am when there are no other cars around. What does that have anything to do with anything? It's irrelevant.

IT'S ILLEGAL!!! It doesn't matter when or where you do it! If you're not on a track, it's illegal! You have broken the law, which is what the discussion started as. The point I'm making is that you justify breaking the law because you deem it as "safe". So if I deem downloading music as something that's fine, it should be okay as well.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 02:23 PM
It has absolutly nothing to do with what's being said here, and it just sounds like something a whiney little twat would say.
LOL! +1

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 02:24 PM
IT'S ILLEGAL!!! It doesn't matter when or where you do it! If you're not on a track, it's illegal! You have broken the law, which is what the discussion started as. The point I'm making is that you justify breaking the law because you deem it as "safe". So if I deem downloading music as something that's fine, it should be okay as well.
Point out where I was questioning the legality of it. I wasn't. I was stating how it costs millions of people lots of money.

Thank you for the post, Captain Obvious. :rolleyes:

kpc2593
11-09-2007, 02:28 PM
i dl stuff and after im done watching/listening to it i do buy it if I like it...

Hundo®
11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
movies ill go see. CD's unless produced/distrubuted BY the artists, i won't buy. the artists makes about 3cents a record sale.. if you want to support an artist, go to their show.

Psycho
11-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Dude, if you are honestly trying to compare stealing to racing, then you're a tard. You're trying to generalize every crime in the same category, and it just makes you look stupid.

Hundo®
11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Dude, if you are honestly trying to compare stealing to racing, then you're a tard. You're trying to generalize every crime in the same category, and it just makes you look stupid.

maybe he's got diabeetus.. :ninja:

Ran
11-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Dude, if you are honestly trying to compare stealing to racing, then you're a tard. You're trying to generalize every crime in the same category, and it just makes you look stupid.The comparison may not be the best, but he does make a point. It's just that people have the impression of "well I'm not really hurting anyone so it's okay" burned in their heads. It still doesn't make either action okay.

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 02:58 PM
The comparison may not be the best, but he does make a point. It's just that people have the impression of "well I'm not really hurting anyone so it's okay" burned in their heads. It still doesn't make either action okay.
Neither is legal. When me and a buddy go out late one night and line our cars up, we both know what we're getting into. It's no different than some members on here that speed through traffic like idiots.

Ran
11-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Neither is legal. When me and a buddy go out late one night and line our cars up, we both know what we're getting into. It's no different than some members on here that speed through traffic like idiots.That was my point. It's not legal and, even if you take all the precautions you can, it doesn't really make it safe. There are just too many unknown variables when not in a controlled environment.

I know that I'm not going to convince you to stop street racing, and I'm not going to try. I was merely posting some of my thoughts on the subject. People will still DL music knowing it's illegal just like you'll keep racing.

Anyways, I'm outta this thread. Later. :)

iloveboost
11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
That was point. It's not legal and, even if you take all the precautions you can, it doesn't really make it safe. There are just too many unknown variables when not in a controlled environment.
LOL! The variables are the exact same at the track except from a dead stop with lights that tell you when to go. The only difference is you're lining up with someone you don't know or how well they can control their car.

ISAtlanta300
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
People will still DL music knowing it's illegal just like you'll keep racing. :)

QFT !!

And I'm not saying that it does make it right, but it is what it is...

ISAtlanta300
11-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Is it stealing if I record a song from Q100 (with Dj talking through it and all) and listen to it in my car over and over ???

Aren't we all 'stealing' in a way, by listening to music on the radio which we don't pay crap for (= free)? Why would I buy Sean Kingston's CD if I listen to his freaking tune 10x a day anyway? Isn't that technically taking money from the artist too?

VegetaRules
11-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, iloveboost, either way,or however you phrase it, both are illegal. It's no other argument. You can't ***** about one wrong, & defend another, no matter how "pointless", you may try to make it.

As for Physco, you can call me whatever you want. You're entilted to your opinion as am I. You can call or say/type anything you choose, because hey I know I'm not some "faggy" little twerp.

In my life, I've found that people with the biggest mouths, have the least to say.;) But hey, if it makes you sleep at night, please continue to attempt to actually insult me with your juvenile insults.

Iloveboost, we'll just agree to disagree,as stated earlier, & not going to "IA-battle you", over this topic. Wrong is wrong, right is right, you cannot defend any wrong, plain and simple......Vegeta

Warden
11-09-2007, 06:14 PM
movies ill go see. CD's unless produced/distrubuted BY the artists, i won't buy. the artists makes about 3cents a record sale.. if you want to support an artist, go to their show.

yea i agree

Jecht
11-10-2007, 01:03 AM

Those people that print, package, design, and advertise the material are all going to need to find new jobs because downloading multimedia is where everything is headed. It doesn't matter for their jobs sake if people pay for their music or not.

Legally, downloading music or videos is wrong. But there are many who download and listen to hundreds of albums, and that isn't exactly affordable to purchase. As Julio said, most bands make their money from touring or performing. All the money made from CD sales goes to the producers and executives, who sit around and mostly do nothing.

RandomGuy
11-10-2007, 01:10 AM
I think stealing is right, especially cars and other things that don't belong to me.

I mean god made dirt, dirt don't hurt. God made bert(from sesame street), bert dont hurt... which is why people should steal other ppl's cars and sell them. clearly that makes sense... okthxbai

Tinton
11-10-2007, 02:34 AM
I download music and movies, and other stuff. The way I see it, its not technically "stealing". I'm not taking any profit away from them. If I didn't download the content, then I still wouldn't buy it. So either way, they don't get my money. Besides that, I'm not adding to their costs. It costs them NOTHING for someone to go off and make a copy of a song digitally. Hell you could make 1,000,000 copies of a song and it wouldn't cost anything to the artist/distributor. Its completely different from actually stealing a physical CD, because the physical CD has more costs in making the CD, labels, case, etc.

Your argument for "oh would you like your car to get stolen then" doesn't make any sense here. If I could make infinite copies of my car, like I can with a song or a movie, why should I be worried when someone steals 1? I can always make more, and at least some people will buy it. But, if I only had 1 copy of my car, I'd be pretty pissed if someone stole it.

I'm not saying that its right to download music and movies and stuff, I'm just saying that its on a completely different level morally and legally from stealing something like a high-end rare Ferrari or the Mona Lisa or something.

Also when I download, I know to take certain precautions to protect myself. Just like you take precautions when you streetrace.

umairejaz
11-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Aren't we all 'stealing' in a way, by listening to music on the radio which we don't pay crap for (= free)? Why would I buy Sean Kingston's CD if I listen to his freaking tune 10x a day anyway? Isn't that technically taking money from the artist too?

um....wow.....

So CEOs, Presidents of companies, business owners, and other successful people shouldn't be paid handsomely for their hard work and success? Give me a break. I figured you to be a little brighter than that. :rolleyes:

Uhmm, I don't think i ever said that. If your an artist when did anything other then just making music for the sake of expressing yourself matter more then the difference between 11 million a year vs making 10.5 million. I'm not justifying downloading music, I'm just questioning the "artist's" complaints.

DrivenMind
11-10-2007, 08:25 AM
So, are you living in such extreme poverty that you can't afford to pay $8.00 for a movie? Or $15 for a CD?

On a college budget, ummmm yea I am. I don't just steal music, I pirate software too. Call me a bastard for valuing my education more than only partially relevant morality or stealing a copy of a program, and semi-****ing Adobe's corporate profits.

DrivenMind
11-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Wrong is wrong, right is right, you cannot defend any wrong, plain and simple......Vegeta

That really depends on your lawyer.

Evil Goat
11-10-2007, 09:42 AM
so the basic of what is being said here is piracy has caused the prices of cd's and movies to go up for those oh so honest people?

am i the only person who remembers paying $15-$18, depending on the artist and age of the album, for a cd 10, even 15 years ago?

and how much is a basic cd today? i just purchased the jayz american gangster from the only store left around here that sells music for $18, and purchased the last P.O.D. album from the same store for $16.99 the day it released....the only 2 cd's ive payed for in the last 5 years, to me the argument is invalid and useles, if anything piracy should drive the prices down, not up, that is a direct indication of greedy record companies and to them i say **** you....i dont care if you want to call it stealing or not...music today is mostly about low talent dancers who just happen to carry a note, music sucks right now

there arent many, if any, artists out there who can make a collection of music worth buying....hence the digital age of itunes, etc....before cd's the entire album had to be good b/c you couldnt just skip song to song like you can on a cd, minus vinyl of course, nowadays you get 1 or 2 good songs and the rest are fillers....im not paying for fillers

magneto198
11-10-2007, 09:51 AM
only if you have a conscience

Z32redondo
11-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I download. Music mostly and on the oncassion movies. Its no different than borrowing a cd or dvd from one of my friends and listening to it on my computer. P2P means that someone else has bought the cd or dvd and has decided to share it with the public and let them borrow that cd or dvd. I download out the ass. If someone has bought the cd and put it on the net for others to listen than its been paid for in full and they are just letting other listen. If it was illegal I would have a heartattack though. I would just listen to the radio.

tony
11-10-2007, 10:07 AM

Okay I'll chime in on this one because the whole bootlegging of American Gangster kind of pissed me off.

I do not think Daniel (iloveboost) is debating about the legality of pirating music/software/movies so the argument of "well you speed so you are breaking the law" is irrelevant.

It is the fact that there is an economic consequence to the act of pirating media. Someones livelyhood, the ability to put food on their table or furthermore dollars that would be going into the U.S economy are being stolen. It may seem small time since someone like 50 Cent makes a couple of million off a record or Denzel gets paid $20 million to do a movie but if you do not contribute to the cause then the talent gets shelved.

Suddenly there isn't a chance to develop new technologies in movie making because there is no return on the investment.. or that new album you've been wanting from an up and coming artist never releases because they're not selling records, although plenty of people have the songs on their computer or iPod. While that may sound extreme that is basically cause and effect, your investment has a lot more power than you think and to short change everyone else so you can steal is nothing less than wrong.

The free market will deal with greedy record companies, Radiohead is a good example of what is to come.

dartingd
11-10-2007, 02:38 PM
The free market will deal with greedy record companies, Radiohead is a good example of what is to come.

Can you elaborate on the radiohead thing? I haven't heard anything on this.

dartingd
11-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I download. Music mostly and on the oncassion movies. Its no different than borrowing a cd or dvd from one of my friends and listening to it on my computer. P2P means that someone else has bought the cd or dvd and has decided to share it with the public and let them borrow that cd or dvd. I download out the ass. If someone has bought the cd and put it on the net for others to listen than its been paid for in full and they are just letting other listen. If it was illegal I would have a heartattack though. I would just listen to the radio.

I thought P2P downloading of music was illegal?

RandomGuy
11-10-2007, 04:54 PM
lol IT IS illegal

why do you think they shut down napster...

As far as movies go... you can not publically broadcast a movie without written permission from its creator (read the disclaimer every once in a while the FBI warning and etc.. lol)

now lets see if you really do have a heart attack bc you're about to get pwnz0red by IA's peanut gallery

wantboost
11-10-2007, 07:47 PM
radiohead is only releasing their album online (from their site i believe)

Z33_kid
11-10-2007, 07:55 PM
i use itunes i ust to rip movies from online but hey i didnt have a job back then every one has done it atleast once ! lmao

black
11-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I use iTunes so im cool, I've never downloaded movies, nor will I ever do it. Whats the big deal wasting $10 for a movie.

Frög
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
i just want one track.. not a whole cd..

quickdodge®
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I do not think Daniel (iloveboost) is debating about the legality of pirating music/software/movies so the argument of "well you speed so you are breaking the law" is irrelevant.

In a way, it isn't irrelevant. Read below.

Someones livelyhood, the ability to put food on their table

But at least there is a livelihood for those guys. When you "street race" and someone dies, then there is NO livelihood for that person. It may not be caviar or Dom on the table every night, but at least there's something to eat. I'll take Ramen noodles over dirt any day. At least when I download someone's music, I'm not putting that person in harm's way. See what I mean? Now, I'm not discrediting the argument for the topic at all. Like I said, I don't go balls to the wall with my downloads. I probably have a total of 40-50 songs on my HD and these are all old school **** that I just put together for a CD of my own listening enjoyment. Later, QD.

Z32redondo
11-10-2007, 11:52 PM
lol IT IS illegal

why do you think they shut down napster...

As far as movies go... you can not publically broadcast a movie without written permission from its creator (read the disclaimer every once in a while the FBI warning and etc.. lol)

now lets see if you really do have a heart attack bc you're about to get pwnz0red by IA's peanut gallery

Damn I always thought it was, based on the fact that you can still download so many other programs like napster. Guess im buying a better radio lol.

tony
11-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Can you elaborate on the radiohead thing? I haven't heard anything on this.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Starting in late September 2007, visitors to the band's website were redirected to a new website set up to take orders for the album, which was released in two formats.One form was a digital download for which the customer was able to name their own price, the other a "discbox" which included the In Rainbows CD, a bonus CD from the recording sessions, a vinyl edition of In Rainbows contained in two vinyl records, and a hardcover book. This discbox was available for purchase from the "In Rainbows" website for £40 (US$82), and will be shipped to customers in early December. Radiohead initially released their seventh album, In Rainbows, solely as a digital download, in October 2007. It was reported that on the day of its release, 1.2 million copies of In Rainbows had been sold as digital downloads.Radiohead, however, have not released any official sales figures for In Rainbows.

Basically Radiohead cut out the middle man (big record company) and sold direct to the consumer and did so suprisingly well. This is what technology does for consumers, it makes purchases such as these much more efficient.. money wasted on the big record companies stays in your pocket, the artist has a direct connection with their fans and still offer a quality product. Its a win/win situation so there is really not a reason to steal music, if you like an artist you are supporting them directly.

Madonna has jumped on board this format as well, it will be much harder for an up and coming artist to accomplish the same feat but what Radiohead has done is get the proverbial ball rolling on a shift in the industry.

dartingd
11-11-2007, 09:40 PM
^^^thnx...from what i've read, drm free is the big thing going on now...itunes songs are not drm free right now, but amazon stuff and emusic i think are...i wanna get a subscription to something soon, but not sure what...what's the best provider out right now?

AB3dj
11-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I'll use a pirated copy of Windows any day of the week and they'll never miss it (or any other personal user). Get a price quote on a volume license for your corporation and you'll see where they really make their money.