PDA

View Full Version : cig lighter in a std hatch

JDMJAYDC2
11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
i wanted to know if anyone knows a way to get the cig lighter to work in a std hatch like mine? my car didnt come with a cig lighter so i got one from marietta salvage and cut out the hole for the cig lighter just to find out there is no connection for it.

now that i have the teg console i really want the cig lighter to work any options anyone

jfrolang
11-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Run power from the fusebox and find a ground.

JDMJAYDC2
11-07-2007, 05:45 PM
how would i do that this is new to me i know how to find a ground but how do i run power from the fuse box the wires are too short to reach it

jfrolang
11-07-2007, 06:09 PM
um, add wire

JDMJAYDC2
11-07-2007, 06:13 PM
clearly! but where in the fuse box do i attach the wire

jfrolang
11-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Ok, see the yellow 20 fuse? Right underneath it there is a series of square holes. The one directly under the #20 fuse is the one you want. Grab a 1/4 inch spade connector and put it there. Then whenever the key is in the ignition it will have power. If you want it to ALWAYS have power, put it in the square connector 2 to the left, where the other red wire is going.

EvasiveEF9
11-07-2007, 11:16 PM
LoL, I'd help, but friggin'...I've already got too much **** on my hands...

StraightSix
11-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Actually, the plug for the cigarette lighter is aready there. You don't need to run any extra wire. You will, however, have to find the plug. When you got the cig lighter from the junkyard did you get the wiring that comes with it?

I thought I was going to have to run wire in my car for the same thing, and it took getting the wiring off the back of the cigarette lighter socket to figure it out. There's a plug near the radio harness that the cigarette lighter wiring plugs into.

bigdare23
11-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Actually, the plug for the cigarette lighter is aready there. You don't need to run any extra wire. You will, however, have to find the plug. When you got the cig lighter from the junkyard did you get the wiring that comes with it?

I thought I was going to have to run wire in my car for the same thing, and it took getting the wiring off the back of the cigarette lighter socket to figure it out. There's a plug near the radio harness that the cigarette lighter wiring plugs into.

good info :goodjob:

StraightSix
11-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks, D.

If I get the time, I'll try and get pictures of the rough location of the plug I'm talking about.

EvasiveEF9
11-08-2007, 12:20 PM
StraightSix - Repped.

JDMJAYDC2
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
i got the wires that came attached to the cig lighter and saw how they connected in the junked car but when i pulled mine apart there was nothing for it to connect into. all i saw was a good number of wires all going to the radio from when i put it in. but nothing for the cig lighter to plug into you have been repped jfro! thanks for the pics Straightsix ill wait for the pics maybe im not looking in the right place.

JDMJAYDC2
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jfrolang again.

StraightSix
11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Here's the pic of the wiring in my car.

http://www.importatlanta.com/upload/files/509/eflighterplug.jpg

The thing that's really confusing about the plug is that it's a four pole plug, when it really only needs to be two pole. The plug was originally clipped into the metal that forms the skeleton for the radio/heater control console. It was toward the driver's side near the radio plug.

JDMJAYDC2
11-12-2007, 05:46 PM
maybe im just not seeing it but i got tired of looking im going to look again when i pull the dash apart later this week to install my gsr console

MikeyPrzy
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I have an STD with a cigarette lighter, i can't remember the last time it worked though.