PDA

View Full Version : General Chat How do cars end up at Auctions?

GIXXERDK
11-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm looking for a car, found one that I like. Carfax comes clean. When I talk to the sales rep he says that they bought this car from an auction. Now, from what I know about auctions are salvaged, beat up, cheap cars to buy and fix up and sell for more.

This sales rep is saying that dealerships carry cars for 90 days and if it doesnt sell the bank puts them up for auction, then goes through inspection and certification. If this is true, I guess I can live with that and that Carfax did come clean, although this car had 3 owners.

Its a great deal compared to other dealerships because they didnt include there pre-owned vehicle warrenty(Not original warrenty). Which pretty much dropped the price 3-4g

When the word auction came up, it got me worried and dont want to get royally screwed down the line.

Any word of advice, and from experience it greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Barefoot
11-08-2007, 07:39 AM
buying cars at auctions are standard practice at dealerships all do it no need to worry. ive had a few cars that i got from a dealership that bought from an auction and all but 1 was fine. there auctions are way better than the public auctions u see going on.

speedminded
11-08-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm looking for a car, found one that I like. Carfax comes clean. When I talk to the sales rep he says that they bought this car from an auction. Now, from what I know about auctions are salvaged, beat up, cheap cars to buy and fix up and sell for more.

This sales rep is saying that dealerships carry cars for 90 days and if it doesnt sell the bank puts them up for auction, then goes through inspection and certification. If this is true, I guess I can live with that and that Carfax did come clean, although this car had 3 owners.

Its a great deal compared to other dealerships because they didnt include there pre-owned vehicle warrenty(Not original warrenty). Which pretty much dropped the price 3-4g

When the word auction came up, it got me worried and dont want to get royally screwed down the line.

Any word of advice, and from experience it greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.Repo'd, trade-in, lease, rental car, etc...rather than sell a car to a sister company used car lot some dealships will take it to an auction to move it or a bank/lender could have repo'd it or could have been a fleet vehicle (normally says in the report though).

AnthonyF
11-08-2007, 02:49 PM
i've never seen a motorcycle go...up...interesting.

o, cars get to the auctions by driving, trailoring, pushing, sometimes dragged there.

speedminded
11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
i've never seen a motorcycle go...up...interesting.

o, cars get to the auctions by driving, trailoring, pushing, sometimes dragged there.lol, just like your car gets anywhere right :tongue:

JennB
11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I worked at two dealerships... if the car is there for a while and doesn't sell, it goes to the auction. Also if the car is older than what that lot likes to carry, they will send it off as well.

Also, as was mentioned, finance companies will take huge groups of off-lease cars to the auction at once. I couldn't tell you how many titles I did the paperwork on that were "Honda Finance of America" or "GMAC" as the previous owner. Those are obviously off lease and a very occasional repo.

How do you plan on buying from the auction? I worked at dealerships in SC but the auctions they attended were not open to the public. You had to have a dealer license. Is this a big, regular auction or something like a police auction because those are totally different? The dealer auctions were every week, same day each week. They went to the Adesa auction in Charlotte every week and a few others if something good was on the list.

Auction cars cam be anything, they are certainly not old or beat up. I would think those cars would be at little auctions, not the dealership auctions at all.

AnthonyF
11-09-2007, 09:13 AM
lol, just like your car gets anywhere right :tongue:

exactly. today, my car got to work by... 50% me driving 50% tow truck. :goodjob:

Justin.
11-09-2007, 09:35 AM
after 90 days of having the car on the lot, the dealer has to purchase the car, so to keep from having to own title the car in there name, they haul them to auction to sell to keep from buying the car. standard procedure for dealerships.