PDA

View Full Version : HOW is it that people have time to take their cars apart??

madking411
11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
To the extent of ripping engines out, or transmissions out, and doin drivetrain work, etc, etc.??Doesnt that either take a LOT of money in labor, or a LOT of time to waste as a backyard 'mechanic'??

OR...Do people just have thousands of dollars extra just lyin around to put into their cars to get multiple engine swaps, tranny swaps, engine rebuilds, and all the stuff like that???

I just dont understand it.....

Wurm
11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
multiple cars

NewGen33
11-06-2007, 05:12 PM
A DD helps

MattB
11-06-2007, 05:16 PM
yup, dd helps alot, that way your not rushing on trying to get major things done on your weekends or days off, etc. though i cant seem to keep any of my DD's stock for long...

Mangrum
11-06-2007, 05:32 PM
i do it on my one day off from school and work and i wake up in the wee hours of the morning and work till late in the night.. pretty ****ty but it gets the job done

Fr33way
11-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Two words: AIR TOOLS.

Vteckidd
11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Owning a daily driver is the best thing you can do. get a beater and then you can save up and build your fast car when you want to

chituntang
11-06-2007, 07:23 PM
unless you know you have all the stuff and you do not need to drive during the time you take your car apart, you need a DD. Or you can always use your brother/buddy's car. I lived 3 months without my own car...

speedminded
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
To the extent of ripping engines out, or transmissions out, and doin drivetrain work, etc, etc.??Doesnt that either take a LOT of money in labor, or a LOT of time to waste as a backyard 'mechanic'??

OR...Do people just have thousands of dollars extra just lyin around to put into their cars to get multiple engine swaps, tranny swaps, engine rebuilds, and all the stuff like that???

I just dont understand it.....If you have the tools and the ability then being that backyard mechanic saves a LOT of money. I've done clutch jobs in driveways literally dozens of times. It's not fun doing it outside though, pulled the transmission in my car to put the LSD in while outside on gravel during a steady but heavy spring rain then winter time is a blast! Hands are frozen and you're under a vehicle trying to repair or replace something. Shops and garages are gooood things to have.

madking411
11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, can anyone tell me how much i should spend on another car, if i should want to build a beater into somethin nice??

cuz i talked to someone acouple days ago, and he suggested i get a car out of a junkyard n try to build on it....

Elbow
11-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Lunch break, day off, night, Sunday, etc. Whatever it takes :)

SE-Rious1
11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
well im the type to save money for the project and if i dont have a backup car ill just make it a 24hour job no matter how big or lil just gota get it done yeah im a back yard mechanic lol

speedminded
11-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, can anyone tell me how much i should spend on another car, if i should want to build a beater into somethin nice??

cuz i talked to someone acouple days ago, and he suggested i get a car out of a junkyard n try to build on it....There's an Accord at Batlground for cheap...dunno what it needs but i know it's for sale and F22/23/H22 engines are pretty cheap

madking411
11-06-2007, 07:52 PM
There's an Accord at Batlground for cheap...dunno what it needs but i know it's for sale and F22/23/H22 engines are pretty cheap

I dont wanna honda.......i want a mitsu...or a toyota...or a nissan...:goodjob:

as far as yota's go, i loooooveee the 80's toyotas....

AnthonyF
11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
my father owns a shop in atlanta, and i work there. so labor for me is $0. parts are at cost, not list for me. so I am very very fortunte (sp). I wish we had more machines at our shop, aluminum welder, pipe bender, a CNC machine would be sick too, but our shop is small.

madking411
11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Well, how does that whole ''takin cars outta the junkyard and rebuilding them'' thing work??

Is it worth it? If i were to only want to spend somethin like $500 for a 'new' car??

speedminded
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, how does that whole ''takin cars outta the junkyard and rebuilding them'' thing work??

Is it worth it? If i were to only want to spend somethin like $500 for a 'new' car??You have to be a licensed rebuilder to get a clean title for a salvage car in Georgia.

Take your $500 and go to www.craigslist.com

Frög
11-06-2007, 09:08 PM

Is it worth it? If i were to only want to spend somethin like $500 for a 'new' car??

didn't you do that?

speedminded
11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
didn't you do that?LOLOLOL!!!

dickdragon
11-07-2007, 08:05 AM

people just have thousands of dollars extra just layin around. it's that easy!
yeah right!

Benefit
11-07-2007, 08:10 AM
didn't you do that?

lmao:lmfao::lmfao:

patrick4588
11-07-2007, 11:54 AM
i have good credit and able to take out loans for if anything bad happens like blowing a motor. i had to take out a signature loan to rebuild my motor a couple months ago.

japan4racing
11-07-2007, 11:58 AM
having good credit and a dd is the ****.

blackshine007
11-07-2007, 12:05 PM

cuz i talked to someone acouple days ago, and he suggested i get a car out of a junkyard n try to build on it....
I paid $800 for my 626, $400 For my Protege and $1200 for my F150. I don't believe in buying new cars, but making what you have run like new. Besides, if one breaks down, you have another one to ride in until the other is fixed. And my truck is basicly for moving heavy stuff. If one of my cars break down, guess what I use to go retrieve the other cars? And it also makes me money by helping people move. If I need to put an engine or trans on the back, I can with no problem. 3 vehicles FTMFW :bannana:

dc2teg2006
11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
A DD, the know how, maybe a friend and tools to get it done right.:yes:

If not folk out some doe to fix something.:goodjob:

madking411
11-07-2007, 04:51 PM
didn't you do that?

YEP!!:yes:

Frög
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
YEP!!:yes:

i can see..

madking411
11-07-2007, 05:46 PM
i can see..
:tongue1: PORSCHE!!

gtikid
11-07-2007, 06:22 PM
didn't you do that?

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Frög
11-07-2007, 06:41 PM
:tongue1: PORSCHE!!

lol +5 for taking it well and not getting all worked up about it..

Noir
11-07-2007, 07:11 PM
+1 for spare car
+1 for credit cards :diespam:

RBS
11-07-2007, 07:23 PM
i wish i had a daily that i didnt work on daily . . .

Schugg
11-07-2007, 09:16 PM

its not wasting time when your are working on your own car or fixing it, its saving you money. not to mention it doesnt take time or money to work on your own car, comparing hiring someone else to do it. you can always find good deals on what you need if you look hard enough, and it doesnt take time to do anything when you know what your doing. motor swaps can take 7 or 8 hours of work and when you add a friend or two and alcohol its just fun to work on cars all day, or late night. i usually do swaps by myself in one day of work if im trying, or maybe 2 days of half assing it