PDA

View Full Version : Save some money at the Gas Pump.

Hundo®
11-06-2007, 11:06 AM
For your interest.........................

I've been in petroleum pipeline business for about 31 years, currently working for the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose , CA . We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel and gasoline. We have 34 storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Here are some tricks to help you get your money's worth:

1. Fill up your car or truck in the morning when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you're filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallonage is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don't have temperature compensation at their pumps.

2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.

3. Fill up when your gas tank is half-full (or half-empty), because the more gas you have in your tank the less air there is and gasoline evaporates rapidly, especially when it's warm. (Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating 'roof' membrane to act as a barrier between the gas and the atmosphere, thereby minimizing evaporation.)

4. If you look at the trigger you'll see that it has three delivery settings: slow, medium and high. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to the high setting. You should be pumping at the slow setting, thereby minimizing vapors created while you are pumping. Hoses at the pump are corrugated; the corrugations act as a return path for vapor recovery from gas that already has been metered. If you are pumping at the high setti ng, the agitated gasoline contains more vapor, which is being sucked back into the underground tank, so you're getting less gas for your money. Hope this will help ease your 'pain at the pump'

yea it was a myspace bulletin. but it's interesting, thought id share.

Ran
11-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Interesting, but...

2. If a tanker truck is filling the station's tank at the time you want to buy gas, do not fill up; most likely dirt and sludge in the tank is being stirred up when gas is being delivered, and you might be transferring that dirt from the bottom of their tank into your car's tank.Even if you don't fill up while the truck is filling the station, the dirt is still going from the tanker to the station's tank and then to your car. I don't see how not filling up at the same time would prevent this. :???:

Hundo®
11-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Interesting, but...
Even if you don't fill up while the truck is filling the station, the dirt is still going from the tanker to the station's tank and then to your car. I don't see how not filling up at the same time would prevent this. :???:

i would assume dirt would dissolve in the gasoline.. but if it's fresh it's just going to suction through from the tank to the pump and into your tank. ftl.

Frög
11-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Interesting, but...
Even if you don't fill up while the truck is filling the station, the dirt is still going from the tanker to the station's tank and then to your car. I don't see how not filling up at the same time would prevent this. :???:

um no.. the gas is being poured in the tank is stirring up the dirt.. idk how to explain this..

try this:

put sand in a cup, fill it with water.. you will see the sand is all over the place.. let it settle for couple minutes and the sand will be back at the bottom..

Ran
11-06-2007, 11:29 AM
um no.. the gas is being poured in the tank is stirring up the dirt.. idk how to explain this..

try this:

put sand in a cup, fill it with water.. you will see the sand is all over the place.. let it settle for couple minutes and the sand will be back at the bottom..Oh, alright. I misread it then. I thought it was talking about dirt from the tanker going into the tank. Thanks for the clarification.

Frög
11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
i would assume dirt would dissolve in the gasoline.. but if it's fresh it's just going to suction through from the tank to the pump and into your tank. ftl.

lol dirt dissolving in gasoline.. HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

http://www.beanblog.com/images/retard.jpg

DrivenMind
11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Interesting, but...

Dirt settles to back to the bottom I'd imagine, after the truck gets done filling.

Hundo®
11-06-2007, 11:40 AM
lol dirt dissolving in gasoline.. HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

http://www.beanblog.com/images/retard.jpg

it's a liquid. most things desolve in liquids, it was just an educated guess. sorry i haven't been in highschool for 4 years.

FYI: i have your check and paystub in my hands.. it would be tragic if it got burned in a freak gasoline fight accident. know im say?

§treet_§peed
11-06-2007, 11:44 AM
http://i22.tinypic.com/334q00j.jpg

good find btw

Frög
11-06-2007, 11:48 AM
it's a liquid. most things desolve in liquids, it was just an educated guess. sorry i haven't been in school for 4 years.

FYI: i have your check and paystub in my hands.. it would be tragic if it got burned in a freak gasoline fight accident. know im say?

:lmfao: ilu..

Kevykev
11-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Good info K-Funk!

Echonova
11-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I am in the petroleum industry and all of the above are true except... number 4. The vapor pumps are designed to speed up and slow down and maintain the same ratio no matter the GPM. However vapor pumps are only in Metro areas (such as Atlanta) and are being phased out (by 2013) due to on-board canisters on newer cars doing the same thing.

Edit:GPM= gallons per minute for the non ed-u-ma-ca-ted

mushroom_toy
11-06-2007, 12:08 PM
You could also try this. i plan on experimenting with this soon, as I already get around 30mpg...so im gonna see if I get any significant gains with the acetone.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517/double_your_gas_mileage_2x/

Hundo®
11-06-2007, 12:19 PM
You could also try this. i plan on experimenting with this soon, as I already get around 30mpg...so im gonna see if I get any significant gains with the acetone.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517/double_your_gas_mileage_2x/

badass, im gonna try that.

mushroom_toy
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Heres another site I found on the issue. Evidently it is possible if your car is older (like min), there is a slight chance it could destroy some of the fuel parts, but if the car was made for gasoline, it should run acetone just fine. Also be sure to use 100% acetone, and not mixed. Like I said here is another link with more info. Also rule of thumb is usually only 1oz. of acetone per 10 gallons of gas. :) Cant wait to test it myself.
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Deke
11-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I'm just curious what acetone would do to the performance. It just seems like something that gave you that much better gas mileage would have to have a negative effect on performance.

Also, in that video, the guys TL only got 17 miles to the gallon? That seems a little low...

mushroom_toy
11-06-2007, 12:47 PM
^He also did a tune up and regained his lost mileage. But if you go to the second link I posted and read most of it it will let you know. The performance gain is very little i think, but its there. Also it helps reduce one type of emissions.

EDIT: This is copied from that site.

In addition to increased mileage acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition.

A tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel can stop the black smoke when the rack is all the way at full throttle. You will notice that the exhaust soot will be greatly reduced and your truck or car runs smoother.

Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60 percent. In some older cars, the HC readings with acetone in a 1986 GMC went from 440 PPM to 195, as just one example. Though mileage gains taper off with too much acetone, hydrocarbon emissions are nevertheless greatly reduced. Pure acetone is an extremely clean burning fuel that burns in air with a pretty blue, smokeless flame

There are no known bad effects and every good reason to use acetone in your fuel. I have never seen a problem with acetone, and I have used ACETONE in gasoline and diesel fuel and in jet fuel (JP-4) for 50 years. I have rigorously tested fuels independently (with burns all over me) and am considered an authority on this important subject.

IDCoconut
11-06-2007, 01:08 PM
cool, kinda makes sense.

thinkfast®
11-06-2007, 01:31 PM
TOO MUCH ACETONA HOLMES

**** IS PURO MAN

§treet_§peed
11-06-2007, 01:37 PM
lol your not supossed to huff it Ricky

Bballjamal
11-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Acetone does work (Thanks to a GATech chem teach explaining the characteristics to me and him using it) and I've always heard to gas in the morning and to put it on the slower setting. I think the person who told me to do it on the slower setting had a totally different reason that also sounded logical enough for me to do it everytime I'm at the pump. Plus, when I hit 1.000 gallons I can see if the price is dialed in right.

Wurm
11-06-2007, 03:12 PM
lol i have a company gas car i go when i feel like it and leave that ***** on high speed and walk away to buy stuff in the gas station