PDA

View Full Version : dilemma....need some opinions

Evil Goat
11-05-2007, 02:31 PM
i guess only parents can answer this, but all opinions are welcome, and im not sure if this is the right section or not but im sure qd will let me know if it isnt

to set this up my son is 4 yrs old and we were able to get one of the 25 spots available at his nursery for the pre-k stuff this year, so from 8-2:30 he's in class sort of speak, then goes over to a nursery class at 230....

now, last thursday we get a call around 330pm that my son was pushed off of a slide at school by another child and had probably broken either his wrist, arm, or both...now i was out of town working, about 130 miles or so from his school (luckily my wife works literally almost across the street) so i rush back into my office, get my car, and meet my wife and son at the doctors office, took care of it that night and was told they would read xrays the next morning and that they couldnt cast anything due to swelling, no biggie, my wife takes the next day off work to wait to hear from the doctor, they call and confirm that he has broken both bones in his forearm near the elbow and would need to see a orthopedic surgeon. so we get all that taken care of and they cast him up, say he will not need surgery, etc

so all is good right? minor accident at school, in which i cant hold anyone responsible really b/c its kids being kids

one of the nursery teachers at the school is the daughter in law of a lady my wife works with comes to her at work today and tells her that she wanted us to know what really happened...she tells my wife that there were 3 teachers on the playground at the time (2 of which told her this story, the other has been suspended as a result of this story), one of which was on the slide for some reason, she says the teacher jumped from slide, and my son followed her, breaking his arm in the process

now im out a good bit of $ as xrays go towards your deductible, plus a couple visits to his doctor, the surgeon, pain meds, etc b/c of an irresponsible teacher

now heres my dilema....my accident report says he was pushed off of the slide by another student, which the 2 teachers say isnt true, and my son tells me the same story(that he was pushed off)...is it feasible to think that if a 4 year old jumps from a slide immediately after a teacher and is in obvious pain due to broken bones would tell his parents in fear that he may get in trouble that someone pushed him if the teachers put that in his head? and if i talk to my son tonight and explain we are not, nor will be mad and his story now changes to match that of the other 2 teachers (obviously without letting him know what im looking for so he just doesnt agree with me for the hell of it) should i be pissed and go after the nursery for lost time and medical bills?

CLIFFS...
-my son falls at school, breaks arm
-we are told by nursery that a student pushed him off
-we are then told by another teacher that he wasnt pushed and merely followed a teacher who jumped before him and that particular teacher has now been suspended
-should i be pissed and get them to pay for med bills and lost time if story turns out to be true?

and for the women folk on here, hes fine, all boy
http://a629.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/16/l_dc286fdb90904cc5037c25ae493917f4.jpg

Sammich
11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
i think i would, i mean, like you said its better to have parents reply..but i think i would push the issue

Leisa
11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Does your child not have insurance?.. if not.. I would persue the director of the school and confront said issue with them paying medical bills.. Did you sign anything saying they would not be responsible for injury while in their care?

Evil Goat
11-05-2007, 02:48 PM
yes we have insurance, the xray charges will go towards our deductible, which was at $0 until this happened, we never get sick or such, so im assuming a good amount out of pocket for those, then $25 per visit, which were at $75 now, he has another appointment every 2 weeks for the next 6 weeks, plus my time lost thursday, my wifes time lost friday (even though really we didnt lose anything, our employers take good care of us)

im not so much worried about $ as i am the principle of it, them paying the med bills would be fine, even though theyll amount to less than something to cry over

as for signing a release i honestly couldnt tell you....i dont think i will push the issue moneywise, b/c it takes more time than its worth to me, im more so concerned that they lied to me....i guess what im looking for is should i be pissed enough to show up tomorrow prepared to throw down?

Blitanicle99
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I am no parent, however in any a situation similiar to this which I can relate to I made the mistake of not standing up about it and letting it go on. It happened again and since I did not stand up for it the first time I got screwed over. I am not going into the story but do not let people push you around.

I would probably raise hell, not sue but let the directors/administrators of the school know that if that should happen to happen again you will not be so nice.

My 2cents

Evil Goat
11-05-2007, 03:02 PM
I am no parent, however in any a situation similiar to this which I can relate to I made the mistake of not standing up about it and letting it go on. It happened again and since I did not stand up for it the first time I got screwed over. I am not going into the story but do not let people push you around.

I would probably raise hell, not sue but let the directors/administrators of the school know that if that should happen to happen again you will not be so nice.

My 2cents

very true, i will no doubt be talking to the director tomorrow, regardless, shouldve done it today but she was out of town, this is nursery #3 for him, we had him in one from 6 weeks to about 2.5, then i changed jobs and we moved him to one closer to my wife, where he was bitten by 3 different kids in the first 4 days he was there, i promised them after the 2nd time they wouldnt like me if it happened again, which it did, i ended up being sued over that situation a couple years ago, which was kinda funny, i apparently showed a little too much ass and she sued me for not giving them a weeks notice, ended up having to pay like $120 + the court costs, but it was worth it

4dmin
11-05-2007, 03:03 PM
i would defintely raise hell over it... maybe get a $$$ back if you pay for prek

speedminded
11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Allow me to start with I am not a fan of the America lottery (aka lawsuits) and i'm not saying pursue it in that manner but the incident does need to be looked into further. Yes accidents happen, but if one faculty member/employee was suspended that is implying some sort of guilt, accidents between students is one thing but accidents between faculty and students is another ballgame. If the injury was indeed a result of a faculty members actions then you have the school lying to you as well as your son...which means some sort of threat or bribe was given to him.

Was another students name ever given to you that supposedly did the pushing?

What is your sons reaction when the suspended teachers name is mentioned to him? Does he instantly look down or away or change tones?

Has the suspended teacher called you personally to check on your son?

Evil Goat
11-05-2007, 03:33 PM
im def not lawsuit happy, i despise people like that, and im not looking for the bs pain and suffering, and after thinking about it, im not really looking for $ period, **** happens, if all is true she didnt push him off he made his own decision, thats my responsibility as a parent to take care of....but its also my responsibility to make sure that **** like that doesnt happen again....i guess ive kind answered my own question, i just wasnt sure should i be pissed off or just leave it be

Leisa
11-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I think I would definitely go and state my case, concerns, and issues with them that is for sure. Im not a lawsuit happy person either, but when it comes to my kid, I would do anything to make sure they are in a safe and healthy enviroment.

SL65AMG
11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
im def not lawsuit happy, i despise people like that, and im not looking for the bs pain and suffering, and after thinking about it, im not really looking for $ period, **** happens, if all is true she didnt push him off he made his own decision, thats my responsibility as a parent to take care of....but its also my responsibility to make sure that **** like that doesnt happen again....i guess ive kind answered my own question, i just wasnt sure should i be pissed off or just leave it be

i wouldnt go after them for money, but id raise ****ing hell because they told me some other bull**** story and not the truth. give em hell man. i mean they are responsible for your kids while the kids are there. i would find another daycare. if they arent responsible enough to tell you the truth, they sure as hell arent responsible enough to watch over your kid.