PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber???

andrewz21
11-04-2007, 12:15 AM
ok so im not sure if this is the right area to post this but ill throw it out there anyway?.... so my question is my carbon fiber hood is starting to show a little oxidation..how do i go about fixing it?? is there some sort of polish i need to use or anything?? if someone has any tips that will be awesome!!@ thanks

allmotorX
11-04-2007, 12:23 AM
get it coated it again

MC Hammer
11-04-2007, 12:24 AM
wet sand and buff it =] shines like new!!

andrewz21
11-04-2007, 06:17 PM
what should i use when i buff it??? and what git sand paper like 500??
wet sand and buff it =] shines like new!!

UpSideDownDesi
11-04-2007, 06:19 PM
what should i use when i buff it??? and what git sand paper like 500??
LOL more like 1500 or 2000 grit. Use 600 grit if you are gonna get it resprayed.

allmotoronly
11-04-2007, 07:54 PM
LOL more like 1500 or 2000 grit. Use 600 grit if you are gonna get it resprayed.

^^^ I agree. Thats the easiest and cheapest way to do it. The BEST way to do it is to have it resprayed.

andrewz21
11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
awesome thanks dude ohh by the way nice ride...do yall know of anyone that could respray it by anychance???
^^^ I agree. Thats the easiest and cheapest way to do it. The BEST way to do it is to have it resprayed.

andrewz21
11-04-2007, 08:33 PM
so pretty much there is no polish i should use??? nore wax??? im sry if i sound like a complete retard ..lol this is my first car that had a cf hood ...i just herd to never wax it?

The BUCKY
11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
it wont buff out more than likely every hood i have resprayed has to have all the old clear removed for it to become clear again. i charge 150 to reclear carbon hoods. old clear gets stripped and then recoated with good clear that should last alot longer if taken car of

blackboi50
11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Bring it to bucky!!!!!!!:goodjob:................1

andrewz21
11-04-2007, 10:56 PM
yeah thanks dude where are you located??? and how long dose it typicaly take bc i dont have an other hood to ride with in the mean time ya know...lol
it wont buff out more than likely every hood i have resprayed has to have all the old clear removed for it to become clear again. i charge 150 to reclear carbon hoods. old clear gets stripped and then recoated with good clear that should last alot longer if taken car of

andrewz21
11-04-2007, 10:59 PM
ohh an other thing if i were to buff it out what would i use as you can see its not bad yet im just tring to get to it befor it gets bad ya feel me?

The BUCKY
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
i am near the mall of ga right now. and from the looks of that pic its to far gone.

andrewz21
11-05-2007, 10:25 AM
ok well i got your number i guess on here mabe in a few weeks i can get with ya..i just need a temp hood till this one is finished..dude i think i know you from somewhere too??? you use to stay in conyers by any chance???
i am near the mall of ga right now. and from the looks of that pic its to far gone.

The BUCKY
11-05-2007, 10:35 AM
yea i did a few yrs ago had a red neon. i can do the hood in a day just to let you know

speedminded
11-05-2007, 10:37 AM
It's an epoxy resin, nothing like a traditional clear coat sprayed over paint and it's not there to protect anything...it's what makes the hood a solid and not just a piece of cloth (carbon fiber) blowing in the wind.

If it's just slight "oxidation" then you can use rubbing compound or a really fine grit sandpaper, a polish, then a wax...simply research a how-to on "wetsanding".

If it's discolored or really bad then you should repair the epoxy. A spray bottle of acetone misted on it may smooth out and dissolve the "oxidation" and imperfections or it may need to be sanded down, sprayed with acetone, then the epoxy resin reapplied. It sounds difficult but it is relatively easy to do. I'd never just spray a clear coat over it, the discoloration is normally from heat and is all the way through the resin, not just the surface...spraying a clear over that doesn't fix anything PLUS clear coat is no where near as flexible as resin...it will crack with the slightest impact or flexing of the hood.

The BUCKY
11-05-2007, 10:38 AM
It's an epoxy resin, nothing like a traditional clear coat sprayed over paint.

but in fact it does have a form of clear on them. i have sanded them off a few times.. it might not be the same clear but its not resin. the way it oxidizes it cant be anything quality

speedminded
11-05-2007, 10:52 AM
but in fact it does have a form of clear on them. i have sanded them off a few times.. it might not be the same clear but its not resin. the way it oxidizes it cant be anything qualitySome of them do have a clear sprayed on, seen it advertised on hoods made the last few years but why? The epoxy resin is more than capable of being polished and waxed and can stand up to weather as well as anything else. If anything should be applied over the epoxy I say a UV resistant clear gel coat :2cents:

xb1
11-05-2007, 11:26 AM
The gelcoat the speedminded is talking about is sprayed on just like regular auto paint, but its between 2x and 3x as thick, and requires special sprayers designed for gelcoat. Usually a CF part is made with either epoxy resin (more flex, turns yellow in UV light) or a polyester vinyl resin (brittle, no yellowing but can cloud). I usually use a surfboard gelcoat for my final clear coat which needs an extra sanding aid added, but I know that better ones are out there. If all you care about is having the CF look rather than actual weight savings, then any polyester clear resin/gel will more or less work. If you have an epoxy only CF part, then you shouldn't care if yellows or not, as it was designed for weight saving purposes and not to look pretty. Sadly, with out getting very expensive, there is no real middle ground.

AlanŽ
11-05-2007, 11:54 AM
ohh an other thing if i were to buff it out what would i use as you can see its not bad yet im just tring to get to it befor it gets bad ya feel me?
so you traded the eclipse for the civic :goodjob: whats it got in it man definitely looks good though better than the eclipse

killerdx
11-05-2007, 12:09 PM
recleared my carbon hood and came out really good,but eventually the sun baked the clear back into previous cracks, so if it has any small cracks its probably gonna take a good couple coats

UpSideDownDesi
11-05-2007, 12:32 PM
both jason (speedminded) and mike (buky) are correct on their part. My CF hood on GSR was foooked...took my time wet sanding it down with a 400 grit few times and i was able to sand the fade out (it didn't go all they way down)....remember i used 400 grit because i was gonna get my hood recleared. No way you'll be able to dig down the oxidation with 1500-2000 grit....that will only take care of surface/minor fade. Now my hood looks good as new with just 1 coat of clear. If you wanan save money for now and only have minor fades on the hood then go ahead and wet sand it, but if you want 1 time done deal....get it recleared.

andrewz21
11-05-2007, 11:01 PM
dude i knew i knew you from somewhere!!! threw joel and from chillies i worked there with u and your girl..lol small world
yea i did a few yrs ago had a red neon. i can do the hood in a day just to let you know

andrewz21
11-05-2007, 11:10 PM
thanks dude its honestly not that bad some people dont notic it but i do i may try to wed sand it and see where im at with that..if not buky ill be seeing you soon!! ..lol..so after wet sanding it what can i polish it with?? any normal car polish will work?? and same with the wax??
both jason (speedminded) and mike (buky) are correct on their part. My CF hood on GSR was foooked...took my time wet sanding it down with a 400 grit few times and i was able to sand the fade out (it didn't go all they way down)....remember i used 400 grit because i was gonna get my hood recleared. No way you'll be able to dig down the oxidation with 1500-2000 grit....that will only take care of surface/minor fade. Now my hood looks good as new with just 1 coat of clear. If you wanan save money for now and only have minor fades on the hood then go ahead and wet sand it, but if you want 1 time done deal....get it recleared.

andrewz21
11-05-2007, 11:13 PM
yeah im actually starting to enjoy the civic its a lil slower than the eclipse but its cool..its great on gas..lol..it only has a ls swap so its pretty quick for what it is..now im debating on turboing it??? i have a turbo at the house just need all the other crap ya know..more than likly it will remain a gas saver till i get back from fl??
so you traded the eclipse for the civic :goodjob: whats it got in it man definitely looks good though better than the eclipse