PDA

View Full Version : Riddles...

Princess12
11-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Inspired by the riddle posted by Brett, here are some others.

1. What English word is nine letters long, and can remain an English word at each step as you remove one letter at a time, right down to a single letter. List the letter you remove each time and the words that result at each step.

2. Are you good at math? Complete the last two in this sequence: 1=3, 2=3, 3=5, 4=4, 5=4, 6=3, 7=5, 8=5, 9=4, 10=3, 11=?, 12=?

3. A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?

4. A frog fell into a hole that was 14 1/2 feet deep. He could jump 3 feet, but he slid back a foot each time he jumped. How many jumps does it take him to get out of the hole?

5. A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?

6. Continue the series: o t t f f s s _ _ _

BuBBa DRiFT
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM
damn, brings me back to 5th grade, we had to do whole packets of these things

Princess12
11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
damn, brings me back to 5th grade, we had to do whole packets of these things

But they were fun... or entertaining at least

rndockery98
11-02-2007, 04:38 PM
11=6, 12=6
oooh, ooooh, more, more

rndockery98
11-02-2007, 04:39 PM
oooops i'm an idiot

Princess12
11-02-2007, 04:54 PM
No.... 6 is right!

Cato ED-6
11-02-2007, 05:04 PM
A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?

Take the goose over on the first trip.(The corn is safe becuase the fox won't eat it.)
Then you take the corn over.
On the way back you take the goose back.(so it doesn't eat the corn.)
Then you take the fox.(so it doesn't eat the goose)
Then the goose, again.

A frog fell into a hole that was 14 1/2 feet deep. He could jump 3 feet, but he slid back a foot each time he jumped. How many jumps does it take him to get out of the hole?

If the frog can jumps off the walls: 8 Jumps.
If not: He'll never get out.

A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?

Someone else took the other 2 toothpicks away. Leaving him with 9. (cheap anwser)

JConner
11-02-2007, 05:09 PM

1. What English word is nine letters long, and can remain an English word at each step as you remove one letter at a time, right down to a single letter. List the letter you remove each time and the words that result at each step.
_

Startling
Starting
Staring
String
Sting
Sing
Sin
In
I

Hundo®
11-02-2007, 05:13 PM

2. Are you good at math? Complete the last two in this sequence: 1=3, 2=3, 3=5, 4=4, 5=4, 6=3, 7=5, 8=5, 9=4, 10=3, 11=?, 12=?

3. A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?

4. A frog fell into a hole that was 14 1/2 feet deep. He could jump 3 feet, but he slid back a foot each time he jumped. How many jumps does it take him to get out of the hole?

5. A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?

6. Continue the series: o t t f f s s _ _ _

Startling
Starting
Staring
String
Sting
Sing
Sin
In
I

i dont have time for the others.

here's one for you.

10 peaches hanging high, 10 men walking by, Each took a peach, but still there is 9 peaches hanging high.

how is that possible?

95ludestr
11-02-2007, 05:29 PM
im not even gonna try.. whats the last one?

Cato ED-6
11-02-2007, 05:34 PM
10 peaches hanging high, 10 men walking by, Each took a peach, but still there is 9 peaches hanging high.

how is that possible?

All 10 men took a single peach, leaving 9 hanging.
(1st guy took a peach that was hanging, then the 2nd guy took that same peach from the 1st guy. 3rd guy takes it from the 2nd guy. Etc Etc...on down the line.)

95ludestr
11-02-2007, 05:47 PM
nice one :goodjob:

Hundo®
11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
All 10 men took a single peach, leaving 9 hanging.
(1st guy took a peach that was hanging, then the 2nd guy took that same peach from the 1st guy. 3rd guy takes it from the 2nd guy. Etc Etc...on down the line.)

wrong answer.. nice try though!

Cato ED-6
11-02-2007, 06:01 PM
I won't reveal the answer you told me, but like I said: My solution does work. Even if it wasn't the one you had in mind.