PDA

View Full Version : Misc HDTV Channels v.Who's the best service provider

ATK_Designs
11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Our family didn't really care for HD Channels much since we don't watch much TV.

However, since we have our HDTVs, we're thinking of subscribing to some HD service. Dad watches a lot of sport (MLB, Soccer, etc.).

I'm kinda out of the loop, so I don't know who hasthe best package now. I hear that Direct TV offers much more HD channels than Comcast, and at a much better price. However, their signal is much more compressed and quality is less than Comcast.

So what should I do now? Wait until Comcast launches more HD channels or subbing for Direct TV now? I've heard rumors that Comcast promised to have 400 HD channels by year end. But it doesn't look like it now.

We, however, do get couple HD channels now (news), and like they all said, Once you go HD, you don't go back. The quality is definitely a lot better than Digital.

Bballjamal
11-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Dish Offers more than cable and think about how much cable will have to upgrade all their hardwires under ground before being able to deliver that much quality HD television. Satellite is your best choice. Just decide between those couple providers, which is what, Dish Net, DirectTv, and one more thats not so big anymore.

We have Dish on demand w/ DVR and I couldn't be happier!

Edit: I just saw that we have 320 HD channels 140 of those are pay-per-view or what they call Sports pass channels (have to order). The rest are viewable and include local stations and dish's exclusive 15HD channels. Also HBO, ESPN's, local stuff, discovery, tlc, etc

I had it backwards! I just counted 143 HD channels I could actually watch and the rest we have to pay for. I can switch in between All HD channels, all viewable HD channels, All channels, All none HD channels on the remote. :yes:

Ahh and QD Check your PM's bro!

fire7882
11-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I've had DirecTv for 7 years and is has only gone out on me 2 times for about 5 minutes each time during very hard rains with lightning. They will have on-demand soon and the customer service is way better than cable in my opinion.

The claim of 400 channels include HD PPV and other channels that may be redundant. Soon(2-5 years), almost every channel will be in HD so I would choose my provider based on customer service and features. If you have dsl from at&t you get a directv discount but if you have cable internet, cable tv service might be a better deal. If you have charter in you area, I wouldn't even bother with giving them any consideration because the have 0 customer service and all their workers seem to be dumb as rocks. Comcast is much better.

A couple of good links

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070613-hd-programming-wars-comcast-says-800-hd-channels-by-2009.html

http://www.tvpredictions.com/

BB6dohcvtec
11-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I say go with dish more hd channels than anyone in the market right now i believe, with more coming.

ATK_Designs
11-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys. How do you enjoy your Satellite HD channels? I haven't seen one, so I can't compare.

LeGeNdaRyLeGeNd
11-02-2007, 02:24 AM
how much is the plan for all that with the hd channels i need more channels then what i have.

Clegger
11-02-2007, 02:26 AM
DirecTV is probably the best, but out here in Cali there is no weather

so Im not sure what to tell you once you throw in the whole weather factor

quickdodge®
11-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Most of you guys are wrong and some are waay off with numbers.

DiretTv has more HD channels with around 70 with another 30 to be added within the next three months for a total of around 100 channels, including locals.
Dish Network has about 40-45 channels right now with plans to add another 20 or so by the end of the year.

If you don't have any satellite TV right now, I'd say give DirectTv a shot. They seem to have a good deal going on right now with HD specials. Personally, I have Dish and really enjoy it, but they want you to pay the full $199 to start up HD service. DirecTv doesn't.

Later, QD.

BKgen®
11-02-2007, 07:16 AM
WELL IT SURE AS F*CK AIN'T CHARTER.

i've only got like 15 HD channels at the moment...

i'm switching to satellite ASAP.

ATK_Designs
11-02-2007, 01:39 PM
really QD? I checked the channel line up sheet (from bellsouth website) for Direct TV and they only have a few marked as HD. I'm not really interested in PPV, HBO, or those sorts, I just want regular channels to be in HD (news, sport, discovery, speed, etc.)

That's really cool.

Now my other question is that for satellite, I'd have to get the receiver for each room that I want right? That's going to be expensive since I have 6 rooms :eek:

Bballjamal
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Dish Offers more than cable and think about how much cable will have to upgrade all their hardwires under ground before being able to deliver that much quality HD television. Satellite is your best choice. Just decide between those couple providers, which is what, Dish Net, DirectTv, and one more thats not so big anymore.

We have Dish on demand w/ DVR and I couldn't be happier!

Edit: I just saw that we have 320 HD channels 140 of those are pay-per-view or what they call Sports pass channels (have to order). The rest are viewable and include local stations and dish's exclusive 15HD channels. Also HBO, ESPN's, local stuff, discovery, tlc, etc

I had it backwards! I just counted 143 HD channels I could actually watch and the rest we have to pay for. I can switch in between All HD channels, all viewable HD channels, All channels, All none HD channels on the remote. :yes:

Ahh and QD Check your PM's bro!

quickdodge®
11-02-2007, 10:17 PM
really QD?

Yessir. For that reason, I was going to switch from DN to DTV, but my credit said no. Lolol.

Now my other question is that for satellite, I'd have to get the receiver for each room that I want right? That's going to be expensive since I have 6 rooms :eek:

That's a downside to DTV. They don't have the receivers that Dish does. I am running 3 TVs off of two receivers. I have one receiver on my living room TV and one receiver on my bedroom TV. The bedroom receiver also controls a TV in my daughter's room. She is able to watch whatever she wants as am I in our separate rooms. With DTV, if you use one receiver to power two TVs, you have to watch the same thing on both. UGH. Later, QD.

ATK_Designs
11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
damn, lol.

Thanks for the info dood. I'd definitely give DTV a call :) Hopefully they can cut me some special if I move everything to Bellsouth/AT&T (Cable internet, phone service, etc.)

quickdodge®
11-02-2007, 11:07 PM
They will. They had me a great deal going on, but like I said, credit ****. Later, QD.