PDA

View Full Version : **need ADVICE** got a ticket :(

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
hey guys...

ok so alil info im 21 male and got a rsx-s.

now onto what happened....
i was comming back from athens (i went to visit some friends and family) and had a class at 11 so i was speeding just alil bit :(...anywho i got into barrow county and was goin...i was cruising at around 75-80 but then this car was swerving all over the place so i sped up to pass him...he was making me nervous...it was around 1030ish.... not many ppl on the road in general...well after i sped up to pass the guy...got up to about 90 to pass him. as i was decelerating...i saw a cop driving opposite direction on 316...he then slammed his breaks and turned around....i slowed down..but he didnt flash his lights....i drove down about 4 miles and i didnt even see him behind me...i was going 60 the whole 4 miles after i saw him...then he popped up and flashed his lights....pulled me over and said he clocked me at 89 in a 65..... he asked why i was speeding and i was honest..i told him i had class in atl and was just trying to get home. he goes back and writes me a ticket then comes back to my car....when he comes back to my car...i ask to see his radar cuz i dont think i was goin that fast (when he clocked me) he got attitude but allowed me to see it... and the radar said 88 but he gave me a ticket for 89...i kno its petty but it bugs me.....

heres my thing...ive never got a speeding ticket...cuz i try to be pretty smart about it....obviously speedin on 316 not that smart but yea...

how do i approach this? i plan on going to court....what are the odds they will lower the charge/speed of my ticket, or even drop it? like i dont know how he knows it was me...because there was ANOTHER rsx-s right behind me OF THE SAME COLOR when he pulled me over... and we were goin the relatively same speed....if i plead no-lo will i still get points on liscence will my insurance go up? idk wat to do >_> how much do you think they ticket will be around? the ticket is in barrow and it was from GSP....

me-> :idb: <-the system

thanks so much guys!

On_Her_Face
11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
wrong section.

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
where should i put it? i wasnt sure...can a mod move it for me please :D

On_Her_Face
11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
and if u haven't gotten another ticket, just use no-lo and it goes away

Jecht
11-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Another good piece of advice is not to ask on IA at all - you will just get people telling you to slow down.

yudalicious
11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
being your first ticket, go to court, be courteouswhen you talk to the solicitor, it'll go away as long as you pay the fine.

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
yea i kinda expect the "slow downs" ...its come to be expected...but id like to think there is someone out there with more knowledge than me out there that is kind enough to atleast point me in the right direction..i know i shouldn't have been speeding...but at the same time...im sure MOST ppl on here speed at sometime...it was totally bad judgement on my part...but im just lookin for the best way to resolve it...

any idea how much a 20+ ticket will be? is the fact that he gave me ticket for 89 when he clocked me at 88 irrelevant?

quickdodge®
11-01-2007, 10:53 AM
but then this car was swerving all over the place so i sped up to pass him...he was making me nervous...i

well after i sped up to pass the guy...got up to about 90 to pass him.

If this car was making you nervous and he was driving the way he was in front of you, then why would you bother trying to pass him? Especially at that speed? It's as if we're playing "Where's Waldo" only in place of Waldo, we have the word logic.

like i dont know how he knows it was me...because there was ANOTHER rsx-s right behind me OF THE SAME COLOR when he pulled me over...

Police have better eye sight than you may think.

If you were speeding, and admittedly, then how is "the system" ****ing you? Later, QD.

On_Her_Face
11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
If you were speeding, and admittedly, then how is "the system" ****ing you? Later, QD.

i think he means that the long **** of the law slapped him in the face.

Echonova
11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
but id like to think there is someone out there with more knowledge than me out there that is kind enough to atleast point me in the right direction.. Let me help

-----------------------------------------> GTFO

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
lol wow yall some harsh guys....yall act like yall never did anything wrong... and i agree cops know what they are doing.... and yea LS2 is right...i wasnt saying i was getting **** by the system...more or less i just got l....owned.... LOL oh ya and the wheres waldo thing made me laugh...good one QD... im not trying to defend my actions guys...im just looking for some advice..... lol or some info on the traffic courts and stuff

On_Her_Face
11-01-2007, 11:04 AM
im telling you just do no-lo.. doesnt go on ur record you just have to pay the fine.

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 11:06 AM
thanks LS2! i am goin to...no lo is no contest right? like not admiting or denying it?

Echonova
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
thanks LS2! i am goin to...no lo is no contest right? like not admiting or denying it?Correct.

quickdodge®
11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
thanks LS2! i am goin to...no lo is no contest right? like not admiting or denying it?

But you can only use it one time. So be careful. Weigh your options and find all info about your case(fine costs and all) before you do it. Later, QD.

On_Her_Face
11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
But you can only use it one time. So be careful. Weigh your options and find all info about your case(fine costs and all) before you do it. Later, QD.

but if this is his first ticket @ 21 and he is as careful as he says he is there will be no problems.

rndockery98
11-01-2007, 11:26 AM
radar guns are +/- one, so you could prob get it lowered to 87 if you want to decrease your fine a little, or you could possibly get the whole thing thrown out because he showed you the radar gun that said 88, then gave you a ticket for 89. cases get thrown out all the time for little discrepancies like that. you should at least get in touch with the county prosecutor and tell him about the radar gun and see what he says.
my first ticket was 24 over and it was right after they passed the law that said you lose your license for 24+ if you are under 21, so i called the county prosecutor and he lowered it to 23 and i plead no-lo and paid a fine.

Hundo®
11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
hey guys...

i was comming back from athens (i went to visit some friends and family) and had a class at 11 so i was speeding just alil bit :(...anywho i got into barrow county and was goin...i was cruising at around 75-80 but then this car was swerving all over the place so i sped up to pass him...he was making me nervous...it was around 1030ish.... not many ppl on the road in general...well after i sped up to pass the guy...got up to about 90 to pass him. as i was decelerating...i saw a cop driving opposite direction on 316...he then slammed his breaks and turned around....i slowed down..but he didnt flash his lights....i drove down about 4 miles and i didnt even see him behind me...i was going 60 the whole 4 miles after i saw him...then he popped up and flashed his lights....pulled me over and said he clocked me at 89 in a 65..... he asked why i was speeding and i was honest..i told him i had class in atl and was just trying to get home. he goes back and writes me a ticket then comes back to my car....when he comes back to my car...i ask to see his radar cuz i dont think i was goin that fast (when he clocked me) he got attitude but allowed me to see it... and the radar said 88 but he gave me a ticket for 89...i kno its petty but it bugs me.....

heres my thing...ive never got a speeding ticket...cuz i try to be pretty smart about it....obviously speedin on 316 not that smart but yea...

how do i approach this? i plan on going to court....what are the odds they will lower the charge/speed of my ticket, or even drop it? like i dont know how he knows it was me...because there was ANOTHER rsx-s right behind me OF THE SAME COLOR when he pulled me over... and we were goin the relatively same speed....if i plead no-lo will i still get points on liscence will my insurance go up? idk wat to do >_> how much do you think they ticket will be around? the ticket is in barrow and it was from GSP....

thanks so much guys!

why?????

keevo54
11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
im telling you just do no-lo.. doesnt go on ur record you just have to pay the fine.
bad advice. You can plead no-lo once every five years and with this being his first ticket at 21 no lo seems like a viable route, but contrary to popular opinion pleading nolo does go on your driving record: it just doesnt carry any points

Hundo®
11-01-2007, 11:32 AM
you can plea no-lo in the same court once every 5 years. courts dont keep record of that.. i've pleaded no lo to every ticket i've ever gotten.

holler.

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
how do i contact the county prosecutor?

Hundo®
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM

by phone.

KevinT707
11-01-2007, 11:43 AM
You want to talk to the Solicitor, which makes decisions before you see the judge.

Go ahead & take a Defensive Driving class and do a few hours of community service at a thrift store then bring that to the solicitor, he/she will be a lot nicer to you since they see that you feel sorry for the crime you commited.

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 11:59 AM
do i take the class and do the community service before i goto court?? when do i talk to the solicitor? do i handle this before the court date?

if i wanted to call and talk to the prosecutor/solicitor can i do it? is that wat i should do?

wat do i do if he says that his radar said 89....even though i SAW 88 and commented on the 88 not being 89? and he made some kinda remark about not askin questions or something...and told me that he doesnt even have to show me his radar...

rndockery98
11-01-2007, 12:15 PM
being GSP, he really does have more control than a county officer, so you might just want to pay the fine and be done with it. i'm not even sure if you can go to the county court, or if you have to deal with the state. does it say where and when your court date is?

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
yea its in decemeber in winder..he wrote the number on the ticket handwriten "if i wanted to just pay the fine"

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
winder court...it happened in barrow county.....so you think the 88 thing is irrelevant? or do u think i have a technicality on my side.....i was like..but it said 88..and he was like I DONT EVEN HAVE TO SHOW YOU! and i was like sorry sir its just wat my family always told me was to ask to see the radar..and he said "well your momma lied" .. but the ticket says 89 and his radar showed 88...and i was driving near aonther type s... idk..i didnt even know they could radar you while they are driving in the opposite direction..well i figured they could but didnt have any experience with it or known anyone with that...and it was radar..cuz he checked radar in the box... not laser or anything

Crazy Asian
11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
well he doesnt have to show you radar. No officer doesnt need to if they feel like. Some are nice and will let you. But for my instance a cop didnt use a radar and it got thrown out not sure about you. You might have to fork it over.

Crazy Asian
11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
and dude radar's can do both stationary and driving.

AB3dj
11-01-2007, 12:45 PM
* Speeding (miles per hour over the speed limit):

* 15-19 MPH: 2 points

* 19-24 MPH: 3 points

* 24-34 MPH: 4 points

* 34 MPH or more: 6 points

BiH1320
11-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah I just NOW got a ticket for 'cutting off a cop'.
I was in the far right lane and that's the only lane that turns right. And he was in the middle lane and the middle lane is supposed to only go straight. And same with the left lane. But you can turn left with it also. The cop was stick in traffic in the middle lane and my right lane was turning. There was another car in front of me, and as soon as I passed the cop. He went after me saying I cut him off. Im like officer how did I cut you off? You're lane is supposed to only go straight and I was in my lane turning right. And plus you cant cross over the solid line to go into my lane. He goes 'if you keep arguing i will take you to jail' and I said w/e. So he goes back and write's me a ticket and give it to me and I said thank you for this wonderfull yellow **** color paper. And he said sign right there that you're agree'ing with me. And I said 'I am signing it because I have no other choice. BUT I am NOT agreeing with you that I cut you off.
And this happened downtown Lawrenceville before Gwinnett Federal Credit Union.

The end.

keevo54
11-01-2007, 01:02 PM
you can plea no-lo in the same court once every 5 years. courts dont keep record of that.. i've pleaded no lo to every ticket i've ever gotten.

holler.

lol. The courts don't keep a record and you can plead nolo each time and get a discount on the fine sometimes, but when it is mailed to the DMV and they see that you've plead nolo for a similiar offence within the last five years it automatically goes down as a guilty plea.

SL65AMG
11-01-2007, 01:05 PM
hey guys...

thanks so much guys!

well when i went in for my 19 over ticket(in dekalb) they lowered everyones by 10mph.... so maybe youll get lucky. or maybe thats just SOP for going to court.....

WickedIXMR
11-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I got an awesome layer thats pretty cheap too so pm me if you want his information.

blaknoize
11-01-2007, 02:09 PM
I got an awesome layer thats pretty cheap too so pm me if you want his information.

What?? :offtopic:

Ruiner
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
ask to see his radar cuz i dont think i was goin that fast (when he clocked me) he got attitude but allowed me to see it... and the radar said 88 but he gave me a ticket for 89...i kno its petty but it bugs me.....

A few things...

A. A cop DOES NOT have to show you his radar read out. Actually, I'm surprised that he did as it is dangerous to do so on a highway. Either way, it is still an urban legend that cops have to show you the read out. That is probably why he had an attitude.

B. No, you are not getting "****ed" by the system. You were in the wrong, so the system is treating you as it should in a legal sense.

C. Yes, it is possible to still get points on your license if you plead nolo contendere. Nolo is still basically a guilty plea even though you aren't pleading guilty/not guilty; it's a please of "no contest" loosely translated. Most jurisdictions still treat it as guilty in a sense as you are not contesting the charges. They might reduce or get rid of the fine, but that doesn't mean that it still won't be reported to insurance. It really depends on the county.

keevo54
11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes, it is possible to still get points on your license if you plead nolo contendere. Nolo is still basically a guilty plea even though you aren't pleading guilty/not guilty; it's a please of "no contest" loosely translated. Most jurisdictions still treat it as guilty in a sense as you are not contesting the charges. They might reduce or get rid of the fine, but that doesn't mean that it still won't be reported to insurance. It really depends on the county.

I am pretty sure that as long as the nolo plea is accepted no points are assessed on your record; although every county still reports it to the DMV and it goes on your record as a nolo plea with the mph of the offense recorded.

Schugg
11-01-2007, 08:32 PM
goto court and fight it, telling the judge you seen the gun say 88 and he hit you with a 89 ticket should get it dropped. and as far as i know he cant clock you and then follow you for 4 miles then pull you over for it.

and ontop of that, **** police. there are very few of them worth a damn

hey guys...

thanks so much guys!

Schugg
11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
but if they dont drop it, plead guilty dont waste your nolo on a sissy ticket. its big, but believe me when you think you wont get more costly tickets you can. if your 21 and its your first ask for a speed reduction and chances are you'll get it.

nipponLIFE
11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
ok so i want to fight it....i think....what do i plead in order for me to even bring up the fact that the radar said 88 when he gave me a ticket for 89....like if i plead not guilty...by tellin him i saw the clock say 88...doesnt that mean that i AM guitly...

how do i "fight it"???
thank you so much!

WickedIXMR
11-02-2007, 12:17 AM
What?? :offtopic:
He asked for ticket advice so i offered him a great lawyer how is that off topic?

Stormhammer
11-02-2007, 03:08 AM
if your 21, pay the fine and don't speed, you'll keep your license with the 4pt hit - did you mention that you did speed up faster to pass a car when going around them when explaining your situation to the cop?

If it were me, I'd pay it, maybe take defensive driving to lower points insurance wise

Ruiner
11-02-2007, 08:53 AM
ok so i want to fight it....i think....what do i plead in order for me to even bring up the fact that the radar said 88 when he gave me a ticket for 89....like if i plead not guilty...by tellin him i saw the clock say 88...doesnt that mean that i AM guitly...

how do i "fight it"???
thank you so much!

You are going to piss off the GSP, trust me. :lmfao: Good luck with that...

BKgen®
11-02-2007, 09:07 AM
hey guys...

me-> :idb: <-my stupidity

thanks so much guys!

fixed :goodjob:

Schugg
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
plead guilty with explanation