PDA

View Full Version : Clutch is Done

VooDooXII
10-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I had my dad's car this week...2005 Volkswagen Golf TDi. Don't ask why, it's not important.

It's got about 50,000 miles on it. For a while, I noticed the clutch engagement was sort of rough. A while ago, it actually gave out, and I had to let it sit for about 15 minutes or so...after that, I was on my way.

I thought that's what happened again...but after letting it sit for about two hours, it still wouldn't go into gear. I'm thinking it won't make a difference if I go back to check on it tomorrow morning right?

What say you guys...new clutch?

****, how am I going to handle this? Dealerships usually have a towing company right? I can call them...they'll send a truck to get it, and they can do their thing all day tomorrow right?

I need to get my dad from the airport on Thursday...I have classes from 10 AM to 7:30 PM tomorrow. Damn...how am I going to work this out?

****...I'm going crazy.

Tree
10-30-2007, 10:15 PM
can be a master clutch clynder

Elbow
10-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Wont go IN gear? Or wont go when it's in gear? I hope it goes in gear car off? lol

VooDooXII
10-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Wont go IN gear? Or wont go when it's in gear? I hope it goes in gear car off? lol

The stick won't move into its gate. It's acting as if I'm not pressing the clutch.

I turned the car off, and I can put it into gear to keep it from rolling...so no trouble there.

VooDooXII
10-30-2007, 10:41 PM
So...clutch pretty much done then isn't it?

changaroo
10-30-2007, 10:50 PM
could be slave cylinder, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, or even the clutch pressure plate.

Elbow
10-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Could be clutch, master cyl, my 240 did a similar thing when I had it it was a slave cyl.

changaroo
10-30-2007, 10:51 PM
oh dont forget the shift fork :D

b17a1db2
10-30-2007, 10:52 PM
The stick won't move into its gate. It's acting as if I'm not pressing the clutch.

I turned the car off, and I can put it into gear to keep it from rolling...so no trouble there.

i had a problem like that in my old integra.. the problem was the clutch. it was gonester.... with the engine running, it wouldn't go into gear, but with the engine off, it would go into all the gears fine...

Elbow
10-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Has it been slipping or anything?

VooDooXII
10-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Has it been slipping or anything?

It'd slip...I mean sometimes I'd be driving in 5th, and the speed would stay the same, but the revs would slowly start climbing...

Ahh...I think it just needs a new clutch. I'm just trying to figure out how I'll work it out tomorrow.

How much do you think a stock Volkswagen clutch would be?

Elbow
10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm gonna guess not cheap :(

VooDooXII
10-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm gonna guess not cheap :(

I mean...it's my dad's car, and I did tell my dad about it...I just feel bad that it actually happened.

Ahhhhhh

d16_turbo
10-30-2007, 11:23 PM
my friend and i changed a clutch in his GTI and it was really easy it only took a few hours , if you decide to do it yourself make sure you get new bolts for the axles because the factory ones are stretch bolts and are not able to be reused ......

The Youngn
10-30-2007, 11:26 PM

My car has the exact same problem when i first got it. The bolts on the pressure plate came loose and it was a problem among early made Caymans and some Boxsters.

AlanŽ
10-31-2007, 12:11 AM
i dont think its the clutch if the clutch was gone you would still be able to get the shifter into the gate because the pressure plate would release and it would go in but if its slipping then that could be the problem so i dont know you got a mix of symptoms bro. as far as getting it to the dealer your insurance will cover it if you have road side assistance just call them in the morning and tell them the car wont go into gear and it needs to be fixed and they will come get it and tow it to the nearest dealership. ifh though be prepared to bend over and take it in the but on my old 2g it was going to be 900 to replace it parts and labor. ended up having my schools auto shop do it and the guy working on it thought he would be funny and not put the throw out bearing in so it chirpped like crazy

Benefit
10-31-2007, 12:25 AM
i dont think its the clutch if the clutch was gone you would still be able to get the shifter into the gate because the pressure plate would release and it would go in but if its slipping then that could be the problem so i dont know you got a mix of symptoms bro. as far as getting it to the dealer your insurance will cover it if you have road side assistance just call them in the morning and tell them the car wont go into gear and it needs to be fixed and they will come get it and tow it to the nearest dealership. ifh though be prepared to bend over and take it in the but on my old 2g it was going to be 900 to replace it parts and labor. ended up having my schools auto shop do it and the guy working on it thought he would be funny and not put the throw out bearing in so it chirpped like crazy

wrong

VooDooXII
10-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I think my car locks out of gears if the clutch isn't depressed. It has a lock out feature. I mean...I can't put it into first if I'm going 50 mph.

Benefit
10-31-2007, 01:24 AM
many cars have that...it wont go into first if your going over 10mph

robbyrob016
10-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Slave cylinder is an easy fix, just check the fluid levels (an integra i drove for awhile had a small leak and had a similar problem) and see if you need to slap a new one in.

Black Mamba
10-31-2007, 08:09 AM
thats what u get for getting a VW. haha jkjk is it out of warranty?

VooDooXII
10-31-2007, 08:58 AM

Nope...it's still under warranty.

Haha, don't blame me...it's my dad's car!

KPowerEP3
10-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Warranty won't cover a clutch anyways, it's considered a wearable maintainance item. Only way I can see it is the fact that it's only got 5x,xxx miles on it.

VooDooXII
10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Warranty won't cover a clutch anyways, it's considered a wearable maintainance item. Only way I can see it is the fact that it's only got 5x,xxx miles on it.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know why it'd give out...my dad drives it most of the time, and when I drive it...I don't drive it aggressively. The thing's only got 100 horsepower...not like I'd really care to anyway. Unless...my mom drives it more than I think she does. She can drive a stickshift...just not very well. :ninja:

It's got just below 50,000 miles on it...I don't see what happened. I hope it isn't too much. I mean, my dad would be paying for it...I just feel bad that it happened.

VooDooXII
11-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Okay...so Roadside Assistance is helping me with towing. I'm getting it towed to Jim Ellis in the afternoon. I wonder if they'll let me take out a loaner car. Hmmmmm...I wonder how those new Jettas drive.

Oh well, it's taken care of.

VooDooXII
11-03-2007, 01:53 PM
:lmao: @ Roadside Assistance

Me: "I've got a Volkswagen Golf TDi, and the clutch is completely shot. I can start it, but I can't put it into gear."
RA: "Do you know what gear it's in?"
Me (Wondering why they'd ask): "First or second?"
RA: "Okay sir, is your car a manual or an automatic?"
Me: "I called about a broken clutch...it's a manual."

AlanŽ
11-04-2007, 04:55 PM
LOL so what did it end up being man?