PDA

View Full Version : Misc Common....

Sledlude
10-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I've always liked Common, since like back in the day, although his ish is kind of sappy sometimes. The man can still flow and he is talented
MTV PLAYS COMMON 24/7 THESE DAYS AND ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!

I mean come on... every commercial break, its on every ad for every show they are promoting, the credits for every show, etc... that damn 'driving me wild' song is the theme for everything. they were playing it on the tila tequila show. for those of you who have been common fans, doesn't that just seem wrong on so many levels?

I guess I'm glad to see a really talented rapper come up instead of crap like dem franchize boyz geting all the play..... but holy ****... Common Sense (as he was called for those of u who didn't know) is now doing all these GAP ads, did a starbucks tour, and is now the posterboy for the commercialization of hiphop. I won't go as far as saying he sold out because his music doesnt suck (yet), but you gotta wonder if the money is going to go to his head. Maybe soon, all those endorsements will be more important to him than making good music and he will fall off like LLCoolJ.

is this a good thing or bad thing for hiphop?

Thoughts?

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 08:59 PM
IMO There are hardly any real lyricists in rap these days. "Soulja Boy" and **** like that. What is that? The same phrase over and over again. If you asked half of these rappers to spit something straight from the hip they would look at you like you were stupid. No one is in it for rap music itself. They are in it for the "bitches and money." Actually, while overplayed, it is nice to see someone who still makes good music getting recognized in this fashion. It's kinda too bad it has been done to the extent that it has been, though.

Sledlude
10-30-2007, 09:03 PM
word I can see it now... "Today on the Rachel Ray Show... Live performance from rapper Common!"

I wouldnt put it past him.

bigdare23
10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
IMO There are hardly any real lyricists in rap these days. "Soulja Boy" and **** like that. What is that? The same phrase over and over again. If you asked half of these rappers to spit something straight from the hip they would look at you like you were stupid. No one is in it for rap music itself. They are in it for the "bitches and money." Actually, while overplayed, it is nice to see someone who still makes good music getting recognized in this fashion. It's kinda too bad it has been done to the extent that it has been, though.

I just think its Common's time to shine :goodjob:

He been slept on for years, until he released "Be" (which was a 5mic album)

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
word I can see it now... "Today on the Rachel Ray Show... Live performance from rapper Common!"

I wouldnt put it past him.

Now THAT would be the final straw LOL! It would be crappy to see him overexposed to that extent.

Vteckidd
10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I dont like Kanye that much so the new COmmon stuff is whack.

Older common stuff =A+

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:13 PM
I just think its Common's time to shine :goodjob:

He been slept on for years, until he released "Be" (which was a 5mic album)

Now be clear, I'm not saying that Common isn't talented and makes good music because he does. I'm saying that most other garbage these days is just that: Garbage. Where are the groups like the old Wu-Tang now adays? The West Side Connection? Tribe Called Quest? Hell, even NWA, reaching way back. No one raps or sings like that anymore. It's all BS garbage. "It's for da club" this and "for da club" that. Where in the hell is the music you can beat the block down with? Where is the music about life and not just BS made up stupid looking dances and "bitches and money?" :rolleyes:

I don't even listen to hardly any rap/hip hop anymore because it brings nothing to the table.

TheChosenOne
10-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Man, I say play Common until your ears bleed, because half the s h i t they play now-a-days isn't work a dollar is prison!

I can side with bigdare23, and say that BE was one of the greatest hip-hop albums EVER! And yes I said EVER!

Common has continuosly been over looked by lack luster lyrisist, and now that he is actually getting some acclaim, your growing tired of him!:screwy:

This is why Lupe Fiasco made the song "Dumb It Down". All these so called "Hip-Hop Listeners" have the attention span of a four year old, and seem to only grasp simple concepts.

I'm not trying to rag or anything, but I'm really tired of poor music getting played more than real music.

bigdare23
10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
Now be clear, I'm not saying that Common isn't talented and makes good music because he does. I'm saying that most other garbage these days is just that: Garbage. Where are the groups like the old Wu-Tang now adays? The West Side Connection? Tribe Called Quest? Hell, even NWA, reaching way back. No one raps or sings like that anymore. It's all BS garbage. "It's for da club" this and "for da club" that. Where in the hell is the music you can beat the block down with? Where is the music about life and not just BS made up stupid looking dances and "bitches and money?" :rolleyes:

I don't even listen to hardly any rap/hip hop anymore because it brings nothing to the table.

I wasn't disagreeing with ya homie :goodjob:

(oh yeah you hear any thing from those guys now because they are ....................................old :lmfao: )

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
I dont like Kanye that much so the new COmmon stuff is whack.

Older common stuff =A+

Kanye...another waste. Who makes a song about a damn workout? :rolleyes:

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I wasn't disagreeing with ya homie :goodjob:

(oh yeah you hear any thing from those guys now because they are ....................................old :lmfao: )

I'm saying that style of singing/rapping. Not the actual groups. :slap:

Sledlude
10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
shoulda gone to "rock the bells" tour this summer. dopest line up ever. the turn out, however, was pathetic. it was at lakewood, and so few people showed up, they actually closed the lawn. more security there than audience. so sad that, in atlanta, the so called new mecca of hiphop, no one would show up for a line up that included kweli, mos def, wu tang, etc etc... maybe common blowing up will bring attention to other great hiphop acts that deserve recognition. although, i dont know how i would feel about all my favorite artists becoming mainstream.

Turn on MTV right now. I guarantee you, within 5 minutes, you will hear Common in some form.

TheChosenOne
10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
wow.

your ckrazy...lol.

Kanye might not be the best lyrical artist, but his knowledge of music and production is beyond limits!

Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and The Roots are all legends!

Kanye...another waste. Who makes a song about a damn workout? :rolleyes:

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
wow.

your ckrazy...lol.

Kanye might not be the best lyrical artist, but his knowledge of music and production is beyond limits!

Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and The Roots are all legends!

Kanye = Garbage.

The rest are legends.

Vteckidd
10-30-2007, 09:29 PM
THe only NEW rap i like now is :

T.I.
50 Cent (I dont care if you think hes gangster or not, if he has cred or not, or what beef he has, the production of his music, the beats, the ryhtms, the rhymes i just get in to)
The Game - After to listening to it on Btlfeds Ipod, i thought it was good especially since i didnt like his 1st major album
Young Dro

thats about it, everything else sucks. Soulja Boy is like the new Macarena. I actually like the new Chris Brown song Kiss Kiss just because that boy can dance.

Vteckidd
10-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Mos Def i refuse to listen to when i saw an interview with him on the Bill Maher show. Hes the biggest biggot and racist lunatic i have ever seen

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:32 PM

T.I.
50 Cent (I dont care if you think hes gangster or not, if he has cred or not, or what beef he has, the production of his music, the beats, the ryhtms, the rhymes i just get in to)
The Game - After to listening to it on Btlfeds Ipod, i thought it was good especially since i didnt like his 1st major album
Young Dro

thats about it, everything else sucks. Soulja Boy is like the new Macarena. I actually like the new Chris Brown song Kiss Kiss just because that boy can dance.

West up. Trading cars does actually serve another purpose lol :goodjob:

Sledlude
10-30-2007, 09:32 PM

T.I.
Young Dro

that is probably the worst list of rap I've ever seen. not bashing you bro, but jeez, you should give some of the other artists listed her a listen... and really LISTEN, like past the beat and all that ****. lyrics are the most important component of every song, to me at least. I don't care how dope te beat is, if the lyrics are whack as that (50, young dro, etc) its garbage.

youre entitled to your taste though, most definately. but that kind of music is your style, what in the hell are you doing listening to common

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Mos Def i refuse to listen to when i saw an interview with him on the Bill Maher show. Hes the biggest biggot and racist lunatic i have ever seen

Really? Damn, I never saw that. I like Mos Def, too. :no:

Sledlude
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
mos def is really on some nubian ****, which is kind of annoying at times, and his last album (true magic) was a total disappointment. the new danger = awesome S hit. Close edge is one of my favorite songs ever. no one can spit like that. not ti, not fitty, they dont come close.

and chris brown isnt a rapper. :doh:

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:36 PM
that is probably the worst list of rap I've ever seen. not bashing you bro, but jeez, you should give some of the other artists listed her a listen... and really LISTEN, like past the beat and all that ****. lyrics are the most important component of every song, to me at least. I don't care how dope te beat is, if the lyrics are whack as that (50, young dro, etc) its garbage.

youre entitled to your taste though, most definately. but that kind of music is your style, what in the hell are you doing listening to common

I have everything from All That Remains and Slipknot to Ice Cube to Jazz in my Ipod and CD case. That phrase doesn't make sense. (I don't like 50 either, and don't pay attention to Young Dro).

Sledlude
10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
oh believe me, ive got all sorts of **** i dont listen to on my iPod... its just kinda there. I was referring to homeboy saying those are the artists he likes. no offense, common doesnt exactly mesh with that.

BTLFED
10-30-2007, 09:42 PM
oh believe me, ive got all sorts of **** i dont listen to on my iPod... its just kinda there. I was referring to homeboy saying those are the artists he likes. no offense, common doesnt exactly mesh with that.

That's just it. All of that is stuff I do listen too, depending on my mood. I like music in general. Not just one specific style. Well, except country, I ****ing HATE country.

Vteckidd
10-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Man i have the biggest GANG STARR CD collection you could prob find. I have boot camp click, 2pac, **** from the early to late 90s.

Black star, and more.

Just cause i like TI, 50 and yound dro doesnt mean i dont have musical taste lol. say whatever you want but you cannot deny GET RICH OR DIE TRYIN as one of the most influential and best albums in the past decade.

listen to OLD 50, listen to Guess Who's Back? Album was pure genius. And if you dont accept that, then you dont know what battle hip hop is about.

Sledlude
10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
like i said, your entitled to like whatever u want for sure, im not bashing, every hiphop head has their likes and dislikes and u cant convince them otherwise.

i still say f uck 50, battle rap or not, he sucks. he is part of a whole different rap genre that i just dont get. that stuff and common are on 2 wayyyyy different ends of the hiphop spectrum, and thats a fact.