PDA

View Full Version : Careers in Audio/Video

Z32redondo
10-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I am good at doing audio and video installs, making boxes, custom work, and stuff like that. How much can a person make doing this kind of work? I have usually just done this kind of work on my cars as well as my friends cars and never really thought anything of it. I enjoy doing it and wouldnt really mind a career in it. I dont want to do nothing with my life and was thinking to myself "could I make a profession out of this?"

What kind of money is out there for someone leaving high school and interested in this type of work? And I know this is a broad way of asking this but any type of help can contribute whether it be, go to college, or start at a best buy and work my way into a reputable shop. Thanks in advance.

Turbo04
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
I am good at doing audio and video installs, making boxes, custom work, and stuff like that. How much can a person make doing this kind of work? I have usually just done this kind of work on my cars as well as my friends cars and never really thought anything of it. I enjoy doing it and wouldnt really mind a career in it. I dont want to do nothing with my life and was thinking to myself "could I make a profession out of this?"

What kind of money is out there for someone leaving high school and interested in this type of work? And I know this is a broad way of asking this but any type of help can contribute whether it be, go to college, or start at a best buy and work my way into a reputable shop. Thanks in advance.

the only way you'll work your way into a reputable shop is to get certified for 12v. I enjoyed working on car audio also coming outta high school, trust me the fun wears out very quickly. I hate it now. I went as far as getting cerified and everything, now I'm done with it. It's long hours for little pay starting out. Not trying to be an ass here but, you saying your good at it really doesn't mean anything, in the 12v world you may think your good but other people will just laugh at you, not to mention no one will give you a chance without proof of you work. Meaning you need to start at the bottom and work your way up. I'm not saying your work sucks or anything, just giving you the heads up. Being "good" means more then throwing some speakers in a friends car or putting in a headunit and amps. You have to have a solid understanding and working knowlege of ohms' law and other electrical jibbajabba :) The truly high paid installers are few and far between. You'd be much better off going to college/graduating while working part time at a big box store to see if you still enjoy it years down the line. True they are not a real 12v shop in the sense of custom work and knowlege, but it'll give you a taste of the life. At least if you graduate college, you'll have a degree under your belt incase the installers life isn't for you. (read: not putting all your eggs in one basket) It wasn't for me, now I'm back in school and I make 45k a year working 10- 20 hrs a week...:)

If your interested I have the study manual for the certification program. I'll sell it to ya cheap.

speedminded
10-29-2007, 05:05 PM

What kind of money is out there for someone leaving high school and interested in this type of work? And I know this is a broad way of asking this but any type of help can contribute whether it be, go to college, or start at a best buy and work my way into a reputable shop. Thanks in advance.I'd call up local shops, custom installers, etc. and ask what their requirements are...even if they don't have any opening. I know there are at least 2 or 3 members that install for Best Buy on here and Jimmy B's brother owns a home audio installation business.

I'm not really 100% positive how the "career" goes but seems to me if you want to really do custom work then i'd put a portfolio together with the things you have done so far. Photos, specs, etc. to show off your work so you can present it to potential employers or clients :2cents:

Z32redondo
10-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks to both of you ^^^ reps. Anyone else have any good advice to add?

sina518
10-29-2007, 08:46 PM
i say go to college, make something better of yourself, although car audio is cool and their is a possibility that your pay checks can be really really good, their are also big down falls to it. in car audio it goes by season really you have the times were your super slammed and you have more work then you want with deadlines. or their are times were you have no one coming in maybe one or two okay paying jobs a day and you struggle to make a paycheck. most local shops pay by commision especially on custom work, most real good installers dont find it worth their time to be on sallery, sometimes they do alot more work then they get paid to, once again the downfall to commision is no work no money. i personally find it more enjoyable to work on my own or friends cars, no headaches, you take your time no deadline, no ******* customer, you break something it is easy to explain. but im just putting my 2 cents in. if i was you i would goto college and i would install on the side for a couple of bucks.

FAHHQUE700
10-29-2007, 09:39 PM
car audio gets old.... and gets old fast... mid to late 20s you'll understand... finish school do something bigger and better so you can drop your car off and have somebody else do the install and not have to worry about spending too much because you'll have money to burn. Trust me... car audio is steadily going down hill....

eastcoastej
10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
I just started working for Circuit City in the road shop. I make roughly 11 and hour and get a 200-600 dollar bonus every month. Kinda lame **** though. I would much rather be working on real car **** rather than stripping wires all day. You WILL hate it after a few weeks. F'crimpers and solders. Blahh.

Turbo04
10-29-2007, 10:52 PM
I just started working for Circuit City in the road shop. I make roughly 11 and hour and get a 200-600 dollar bonus every month. Kinda lame **** though. I would much rather be working on real car **** rather than stripping wires all day. You WILL hate it after a few weeks. F'crimpers and solders. Blahh.

what do you think happens when you work on a "real car ****"? Even the big players in install have to do lame stuff like running/soldering wires....it's not all fun and games. 90% boring repetative work in 12v....

BanginJimmy
10-30-2007, 12:47 AM
unless you are doing ultra high end and/or own your own shop its a short term career. Goto school and continue doing it on the side if you like, but as soemthing more than a intrim job, its really not worth it.

b@d @pple
10-30-2007, 09:16 AM
i have been installing since 99 and i love the hell out of it..i made top 100 installers from mobile electronics magazine and my pay is excellent..i have no complaints

BanginJimmy
10-30-2007, 11:48 AM
b@d @pple,

I am also sure you can think of 100 names of people that just dont have what it takes to make a career out of it too.

Also do you own Area 41 or just work there?

speedminded
10-30-2007, 12:49 PM
i have been installing since 99 and i love the hell out of it..i made top 100 installers from mobile electronics magazine and my pay is excellent..i have no complaintsI love the suede dash you did and can't wait to try the same...of course it will probably cost me more to attempt it myself over and over again until its perfect vs. just taking it to someone doing it right the first time :tongue:

sina518
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
your either gonna begin to hate it to like badapple your gonna love it. but it has its ups and downs and it all depends on who your working for to badapple knows what i mean

b@d @pple
10-30-2007, 06:52 PM
b@d @pple,

I am also sure you can think of 100 names of people that just dont have what it takes to make a career out of it too.

Also do you own Area 41 or just work there?
i work there

Grnblur
10-30-2007, 08:18 PM
you are in colombus right? I have seen $1000 to $1400 paychecks that come from the Circuit city down there every 2 weeks. I have a buddy that works with me up here in athens who worked down there for about 3 years... im still not sure whyhe came up here cuz this one blows.

Z32redondo
10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
you are in colombus right? I have seen $1000 to $1400 paychecks that come from the Circuit city down there every 2 weeks. I have a buddy that works with me up here in athens who worked down there for about 3 years... im still not sure whyhe came up here cuz this one blows.

Ya right now im working at the subway right next door to that circuit city. I know basically everyone that works in the road shop. I plan on asking them a few questions when I see them again. lol. And ya they get a good amount of buisiness out of there.

David88vert
10-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I did it for 10 years professionally and made very good money compared to most installers. I got out of it, and make a lot more now. i also have my weekends free now, and can take vacations without worrying about what is happening at the shop.
My Advice: Get a good education, and get a higher paying job. Save money, invest it, and get rich. How many installers do you know that got rich off installs? There are only a few. And I know several of them. They made their money back in the 90s from patents and starting companies - then selling them.

madwick
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
worked at best buy for three years on the sales floor cause too many trash cars come through the bay and want the cheapest ****ty speakers put in! now at best buy, you get best buy certified and then you start at around 10 an hour full time (36 hours a week) now then you get MECP certified and then your at about 12 an hour. a supervisor makes like 15-17 an hour. plus there is high turn around and its not something you'd like to do! unless your a ass and like to hustle ppl! i work at Circuit City's mobile part time now while im between jobs. if you have any other q's about C~Town's mobile audio careers let me know, ill be glad to answer them.

chadwick

Allstar3.8T
10-31-2007, 09:24 AM
The reality is you cant be good and survive, you have to be great. The top 100 in the country get paid, but still many not what you'd think, or what I feel they deserve. Like anything else, the elite thrive, the rest survive.
Good luck, but you MUST get certified, and learn everything you can from everyone you can. I think I know alot after doin installs on the side like you, but for 20 years now...(I'm 35) but to see the little things guys like B@d @pple know, makes all the difference in them being at the top of the biz and me being a good garage installer. BIG difference.

speedminded
10-31-2007, 10:18 AM
I did it for 10 years professionally and made very good money compared to most installers. I got out of it, and make a lot more now. i also have my weekends free now, and can take vacations without worrying about what is happening at the shop.
My Advice: Get a good education, and get a higher paying job. Save money, invest it, and get rich. How many installers do you know that got rich off installs? There are only a few. And I know several of them. They made their money back in the 90s from patents and starting companies - then selling them.That's the key, being ambitious and motivated...nearly everyone that "just gets the job done" isn't going to progress. You have to go over the top and develop your own style, techniques, processes, etc...it's no differant for an architect or a photographer. I've met architects that barely make much more than I do, they work under someone and do the same thing everyday: no creativity means no progression. You make a name for yourself and market it properly then you will be on top. I've always said if your goal is to be the best at whatever it is your doing then you will be successful & wealthy...it doesn't matter if you clean office buildings, race cars, or lay tile.

On the other hand someone above mentioned the market is slowing down, in certain areas I can see that...when people realize how many of those who were big into bass competitions in the 90's can't hear a damn thing now. These people are only in their late 20's and early 30's now. The biggest and loudest speakers may have slowed down just a little bit but in-car entertainment is still steadily rising as far as I know. As people get older they want crisper, better quality sound systems, better installs, and have more money to spend on it. Look at Richard Branson, as record sales started to slow he launched Virgin Mobile...you know cell phone usage isn't slowing down at all. Same with in-car entertainment, what do you think the next big trend will be?

SRCRX
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
yep, Unless you do the custom stuff it gets old very fast!!
3yrs out of highschool, I started working for a wholesaler,
it was fun for the first 3yrs!!

If you like car audio, keep it as a hobby!!