PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Hondas with Torque???

VooDooXII
10-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Honda has officially announced that it will add a diesel option to the U.S. Accord (http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-to-offer-diesel-option-for-2009-accord.html#) range for 2009. Earlier reports (http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-fit-for-honda-this-fall-diesel-in-09.html) indicated that Honda would offer diesel power for 2009, although it was unclear which model or models would receive the option. The diesel engine will be the same 2.2L unit found in the European Accord.

Output is expected to be in the 150 horsepower 260 ft-lb of torque range, although actual production figures could be higher. It has been reported that Honda engineers are working on a higher-output version of the same engine for a diesel Civic Type-R (http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-to-produce-diesel-powered-civic-type-r.html) — rated at 180 horsepower and 315 ft-lb of torque — so ratings could improve, although probably not to the same level as the Civic Type-R.

The engine uses a NOx converter to achieve certification in all 50 states and Honda engineers claim the technology can be applied to bigger engines, such as a V6, without adding urea injection. Volkswagen (http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-to-offer-diesel-option-for-2009-accord.html#) uses a similar NOx converter on smaller diesel engines but has to inject urea into the exhaust when the engine is applied to its larger vehicles to make it 50-state compliant.

Honda's claim that its diesel engine technology can be applied to larger vehicles indicates a diesel-powered Pilot could be on the way.

Good to see more diesels coming on the market. To me, as a fuel saving option...it makes more sense than hybrids. Of course, there are small-car alternatives like the Yaris, but some people may want more space than a car like that has to offer. *Waits for Ran*

I like diesel engines though...they've got character, but few people really get off on it. There's a very small market for them here, and most of them are too expensive (Mercedes' CDI vehicles and Volkswagen's TDI vehicles), but if a trusted everyman's company like Honda starts adding more and more of these engines to their lineup, maybe people will see the light and give them another chance.

I think diesel engines have come a long way and that they're an excellent fuel-saving alternative.

Ran
10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Interesting. Though I wonder how the reception on a deisel Type-R will be. I wouldn't expect it to be pretty. Purist will probably pitch a b*tch.

blackshine007
10-26-2007, 04:05 PM
DIESEL VTAK FTMFW :2up:

coolcat
10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Badass. It's good to see Honda is finally getting rid of their ungodly tourque-less motors. (well not ALL of their motors are totally torqueless, but most) and Diesel VTAK is definitly going to be intense as fuck.

Thighs
10-26-2007, 04:13 PM
wow. now theyre gonna have torque? thats like giving african 8 year olds machine guns.

jk. i think its good that diesels are becoming more common.

Tech5
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Ok starting a new Project,selling my K24/K20 Turbo , and doing a diesel type r swap!

KPowerEP3
10-26-2007, 04:51 PM
thats a NICE torque curve o that CTR diesel. good find.

B18c1Turboed
10-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Thats it, damm my poor honda has over 480 Torque!! I guess i need to go work at honda and show them how its done!!

TheProfiteer
10-26-2007, 05:41 PM
its not just about fuel saving its also about emissions, diesel cars are not exactly the most emission friendly vehicles out there.

KPowerEP3
10-26-2007, 05:52 PM
its not just about fuel saving its also about emissions, diesel cars are not exactly the most emission friendly vehicles out there.
wrong. fark the environment, I just want to spend less on gas.

JDMjoe
10-26-2007, 09:47 PM
That f*cking torque :eek:

4doortypels
10-26-2007, 09:58 PM
so the type Rs will have spark plugs and glow plugs, under normal driving glow plugs but when VTEC kicks in it will double the compression to like 35:1 and use spark plugs. lol

Terror
10-26-2007, 10:14 PM
wrong. fark the environment, I just want to spend less on gas.

+1... environment FTL..

on another note... being that hondas are nutorious for high rev's it'll be interesting to have vtec engagements at like 2500? (due to the low revving qualities of a diesel)

VooDooXII
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM

Yea, but look at the advancments in keeping them clean.

I like seeing the small black cloud in my rearview whenever I stomp it in my dad's car.

Diesels cost a little more, but the fuel savings will pay themselves off in roughly 30000 miles...vs. 100K+ for a hybrid.

Thighs
10-27-2007, 01:34 AM
the black smoke that comes out of a diesel isnt as harmful as regular gasoline engine exhaust, it just looks worse.

TheProfiteer
10-28-2007, 05:53 AM
yes it is, anytime you have an incomplete combustion you create gases much worse than just burning gas.

Diesel fuels are far too dense and far to viscous to make a complete combustion in the chamber, often times they need to be reburned in the exhaust system. In order for them to comply with emissions.

That black smoke really is much worse than standard gasoline emissions.

and you shouldnt really be worried about the environement but your own health.

Hydrocarbon gasses are not exactly benificial to ones health

BuBBa DRiFT
10-28-2007, 08:46 AM
yes it is, anytime you have an incomplete combustion you create gases much worse than just burning gas.

Diesel fuels are far too dense and far to viscous to make a complete combustion in the chamber, often times they need to be reburned in the exhaust system. In order for them to comply with emissions.

That black smoke really is much worse than standard gasoline emissions.

and you shouldnt really be worried about the environement but your own health.

Hydrocarbon gasses are not exactly benificial to ones health

QFT

redrumracer
10-28-2007, 01:30 PM
nice joke :)

cdhtang
10-28-2007, 01:37 PM
the black smoke that comes out of a diesel isnt as harmful as regular gasoline engine exhaust, it just looks worse.

Also, you guys need to know that the disel in europe is different than the ones in the US. They are call econ disel that's why the disel trunks in europe don't have those black smokes coming out like the ones in the US.

YoTa_BoX
10-29-2007, 09:47 AM
**** all that just make Bio diesel from Silly Jap slap cookers they give it free, Cant get it from Blacks though they Love their Old Grease, Its where all the flavor is!!! when you get done making it its like 27cents/gallon....of course you have to have the means of making it but it does not take much.

BIO DIESEL FTMFW

VooDooXII
10-29-2007, 01:30 PM
BIO DIESEL FTMFW

:goodjob: