PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cooler...any good?

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I was cleaning the shop out and found a transmission cooler for a GM. Its just a plain 'ol universal cooler. I was thinking of hooking my fuel line to it and mounting the cooler infront of my condensor.

Does it help any performance wise? I saw Summit selling them and since i got this one for free i figured i'd try it out. All input welcome.

Dietcoke
10-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Even if you got half of a horsepower out of it (not likely) do you really want that potential for disaster in front of your car? Not wise for any passenger car, imo.

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
^^ it maybe hard for you to tell, but hardly anything gets through my grill. I'm not worried about a "disaster". I'm not mounting it near the ground or any dangerous areas. I just want to know how efficent it is with 15psi and a wet shot of nitrous. if dropping the fuel temp helps.

mocha latte cupcake
10-26-2007, 08:44 AM
^^ i'm with mr top dropper.... if you saw any gain on it... which i don't think its going to gain much then the potential for disaster is WAYYYY HUGE... i'd skip it...but if you don't have an oil cooler use it for that man! oil coolers are always helpful :D

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 08:49 AM
^^ i'm with mr top dropper.... if you saw any gain on it... which i don't think its going to gain much then the potential for disaster is WAYYYY HUGE... i'd skip it...but if you don't have an oil cooler use it for that man! oil coolers are always helpful :D

i DEF want one of those. but they make a kit and it's like almost 200 for it.

now...you guys speak of disaster with the lines and fuel...ok. well same with an oil cooler. If the line splits, no oil, lock up motor. sooo no matter there willl be areas to worry about

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 08:53 AM
nvm. the oil kit for my junk box is 320 bucks lol.

Frög
10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
disaster as in you getting in a little accident and gasoline spilling everywhere.. i think thats what they are talking about.. but idk..

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 09:08 AM
^^ u dont know. stfu and go back to sleep

SRCRX
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
nvm. the oil kit for my junk box is 320 bucks lol.

Sounds like you might save more $$$ by using as a oil cooler than a gas cooler,
from the prices of the new stuff, But I know thats not what you asked, but
sounds like you just want to make use of something you allready have,
just a thought??

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Sounds like you might save more $$$ by using as a oil cooler than a gas cooler,
from the prices of the new stuff, But I know thats not what you asked, but
sounds like you just want to make use of something you allready have,
just a thought??

to make it into an oil cooler i need the oil filter adapter. I cant buy that sperate. :( I cant even find the companies website. i can build a OC but i just need that adapter first

mocha latte cupcake
10-26-2007, 09:21 AM
i'd get the oil cooler... yeah they are expensive as hell but if you run your car hard for prolonged periods of time, then its totally worth it, since the mtn run season is bascially over a oil cooler is on my list O things to get before the next one...

and i'd rather spill not super flammable oil on the road in a car accident then my o so precious and highly explosive gasolina :D

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 09:28 AM
^^ lol u and ur latino lingo.

319 isnt a lot, but its the fact i am having to get my motor rebuilt with 60over pistons and other shiot.

mocha latte cupcake
10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
but whats the true reason you're having to get it rebuilt? are you trying to avoid detonation by cooling the fuel? cause its all in the tune and the colder fuel MIGHT help but honestly i think its a BAD idea unless its a track car... theres too much :uh oh: factor in there for me...

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 09:36 AM
but whats the true reason you're having to get it rebuilt? are you trying to avoid detonation by cooling the fuel? cause its all in the tune and the colder fuel MIGHT help but honestly i think its a BAD idea unless its a track car... theres too much :uh oh: factor in there for me...

no no. Reason for getting it rebuilt is ****ty fůckin tunes and the car keeps running lean. So my Wiseco's keep melting. taking it to MPH when i get it back.

i just heard about FC and thought about it since it was free. but maybe i can sell it or i dunno. maybe use it for something else.

mocha latte cupcake
10-26-2007, 09:38 AM
are the vents in your hood functional? a close to rail (low pressure drop) high mounted one with good shielding from say.... heat aka the engine wouldn't be a bad idea... plus fab up some nice brackets and polish it! trick lookin AND functional :D

Frög
10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
^^ u dont know. stfu and go back to sleep

lol FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKK YYYYYOOOOOOOUUUU,U you Wasp..

AnthonyF
10-26-2007, 02:05 PM
are the vents in your hood functional? a close to rail (low pressure drop) high mounted one with good shielding from say.... heat aka the engine wouldn't be a bad idea... plus fab up some nice brackets and polish it! trick lookin AND functional :D

i'm kinda confused as to what u are telling me to do. Yes, my vents are functional. Normal Saleen hoods are not, I cut mine open. :goodjob:

mocha latte cupcake
10-26-2007, 02:12 PM
ok check it out... so your vents are now functional... ok so follow me here. create a bracket in the back of your engine bay to hold the cooler right under the hole for cooling... now that you have a bracket there holding it in place fabricate a shield to keep it even cooler from the heat trying to escape near the cooler... no sense in putting it under the cold air when the hot air is rising up to it... see what i'm saying?

ok find a place in your engine bay RIGHT UNDER THE HOLE, fab a bracket to hold the cooler into place... now that you've done that the air from outside is coming through your hood ONTO the cooler... (making it perfectly functional by recieving cold rushing air) now, create a sheild so that the heat do not reach the cooler... nah mean?

1439/2000
10-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Are you serious?

Dietcoke
10-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Pinhole oil leak = oil on the ground, drip spots, eventully maybe a low oil light.
Complete oil cooler failure = oil pressure light, probable engine damage (maybe supercharger? is yours self contained?)

Pinhole fuel leak = possible ignition on any hot part on the front of the car nd explosion in engine bay
Complete fuel cooler failure = huge exploding fireball

I dont know, I just dont see it. Why would cool fuel add power anyway? Fuel density isnt a bottleneck

speedminded
10-26-2007, 03:37 PM
LOLOL, no offense but you can't cool anything lower than the surrounding air: Oil that is running through an engine is HOT....water that's in the coolant system is HOT...fuel that's sitting in a tank in the back of your car is not hot...so what would be the use? :tongue:

Send me a link to this said fuel cooler...the ONLY reason you'd ever want or need to cool fuel down to the ambient temperature is if you are using a fuel pump that doesn't have a regulator connected to it...ie 1400hp drag fuel pumps that run wide open 100% of the time.

*edit*
now if you took a double walled reservoir of some sort and surrounded the fuel with a laye of dry ice and supercooled it then you might see some benefit from it....now imagine doing that with an intake or intake manifold too :ninja:

ash7
10-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Jet engines use something called a FOHE (Fuel Oil Heat Exhanger) to cool the oil, and actually heat up the fuel. Hotter fuel atomizes a LOT better in the combustion chamber. (3rd law of Thermodynamics)

A Fuel "cooler" in a car would actually be counter-productive in just about every street application. Contrary to popular belief, not everything must be cooled to enhance the performance of an engine.

-jonathan

chituntang
10-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Your fuel is just not hot enough, even in the hot summer, to call hot. Sure, in theory, if things are running cooler for a fuel engine, you are getting more power, but the big question is how much cooler the fuel needs to be to make extra. But for other things, such as the engine itself, if it is 10% cooler, you can extract more Power out of it.

Mclaren is appealing about the fuel issue for the last race in F1. Personally I do not think it is going to make Lewis to win the Driver Champion, but they do not lose anything from the appeal.