PDA

View Full Version : Shifting RPM's?

Benefit
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
just wondering what other people with GSR's shift at...

is it just me or is it weird that all my shifts are around 4k...daily driving and not spirited...just to get the car up to speed

just had oil change done 600 miles ago...

khan351
10-24-2007, 11:26 PM
i had a 94 gsr as a dd a while back. i usually did it around 3 just to save gas

Barefoot
10-24-2007, 11:38 PM
3-4k

Benefit
10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
i know that...its 3-4k , but is it usualy that 4-5k just to get the car going? feels ****in torqueless

.blank cd
10-25-2007, 12:02 AM
i know that...its 3-4k , but is it usualy that 4-5k just to get the car going? feels ****in torqueless

because untill you get that car revving, the car is, infact torqueless. Took a ride in a Type R the other day, party doesnt get started till after 5k

Maniaç
10-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Damn, torqueless cars must suck! I'd shift at 5k.

chava_rx7
10-25-2007, 12:11 AM
An they say rotaries are tourque less! my rx7 1st gen with a 13b i would shift at 3k normal driving it felt fine to me, and sometimes i would shift befor 3k on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears, wen realy pushing it i would shift at 8.5k i luv my car! :bannana: :idb:

drmcivicsi
10-25-2007, 12:12 AM

lol hahah u drive a honda not a sr20 2.0 turbo =)

Benefit
10-25-2007, 12:12 AM
that's what i thought. thanks....5k in my 240 was crazy...5k in this honda is like...nothing

13Bracer
10-25-2007, 12:19 AM
An they say rotaries are tourque less! my rx7 1st gen with a 13b i would shift at 3k normal driving it felt fine to me, and sometimes i would shift befor 3k on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears, wen realy pushing it i would shift at 8.5k i luv my car! :bannana: :idb:

hahah word!!! rotary FTMFW!!
hahah i shift at like 3k and people think im driving to fast or take off to fast?
:thinking:
hahah

drmcivicsi
10-25-2007, 12:25 AM
that's what i thought. thanks....5k in my 240 was crazy...5k in this honda is like...nothing

lol 5k in my car is like driving a civic i hate lag lol

chava_rx7
10-25-2007, 12:27 AM
hahah word!!! rotary FTMFW!!
hahah i shift at like 3k and people think im driving to fast or take off to fast?
:thinking:
hahah

for real it sounds like you are pushing them oround 4k but thats berly halve of my power band!! :lmfao:

KevinT707
10-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Shifting 3-4K gets me putting around town pretty quickly.

13Bracer
10-25-2007, 12:42 AM
for real it sounds like you are pushing them oround 4k but thats berly halve of my power band!! :lmfao:
hell yeah!!!! its the greatest!hahaha

KPowerEP3
10-25-2007, 12:47 AM
I shift at 2k normal driving in the talon, and about 3-4 in the powerless miata...this thread makes me feel not so bad.

wunquikser
10-25-2007, 01:53 AM
get rid of that geezer and get you a sr20 powerd car..youll feel the torque al-rite

Benefit
10-25-2007, 01:54 AM
had one...

.blank cd
10-25-2007, 03:11 AM
get rid of that geezer and get you a sr20 powerd car..youll feel the torque al-rite
He had one, then he upgraded :goodjob:

mxglory258
10-25-2007, 07:09 AM

8.5 you say?? I do that in a honda.....;)

regular driving, i shift at around 3K, its gutless when i do it though..saves mad gas

cdhtang
10-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I guess that's honda I4 power...torqueless. All the I4 engine I've driven from honda have to rev up to at least 4k to get power. Specially on the d series, the sound scares me when i rev up. Well, at least the engine last really long.

chava_rx7
10-28-2007, 12:56 PM
8.5 you say?? I do that in a honda.....;)

regular driving, i shift at around 3K, its gutless when i do it though..saves mad gas

Yea you can do that but can you hold it there for more than five minutes? I dont think so, or you will have a piston or rod up your ass, i can keep it up there for as long as i need to, and just cus i shift at 8.5 dont mean thats all it has my car reves to 10k is just that at those rpms my engine is not modefied to make any power, my power band starts to drop over 8k..

allmotoronly
10-28-2007, 08:37 PM
I usually shift at around 4k rpm from first to second, and go down from there. Do you have a lightweight flywheel? Lightweight flywheels will cause a loss of low end torque in most B series engine setups. Actually most bolt ons will cause a loss of low end torque in any honda... I know since I have built a variety of different honda's myself (civic, integra, and prelude)

Double_0_Rusty
10-28-2007, 08:50 PM
I shift the si, at around 4-5k, 1st-2nd, and then go down from there...before I know it i am going like 90. lol

Turbodude06
10-28-2007, 08:58 PM
^ yep I did the same with my SI & GSR but their fun when they get into vtec......

coolcat
10-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Do you have a lightweight flywheel? Lightweight flywheels will cause a loss of low end torque in most B series engine setups.

That doesn't sound right to me. I don't see how less rotational mass could make less torque.

Turbodude06
10-28-2007, 09:01 PM
^it will when taking off but yea not in having to shift higher....

Double_0_Rusty
10-28-2007, 09:04 PM
^ yep I did the same with my SI & GSR but their fun when they get into vtec......

lol funny thing is I dont have v-tec....my brother's em1 si, when he had it was insane. Had vtec controller in that bish...

allmotoronly
10-29-2007, 11:39 AM
That doesn't sound right to me. I don't see how less rotational mass could make less torque.

here is the easiest way I can explain it without confusing people who already do not understand the concept.

Why do you think that heavy V8 engines make so much torque? Part of it is because the crank, rods, pistons, and flywheel is so heavy.

Honda's lack in torque partly because the rotating mass is so light.

HP is a product of torque, and has partly to do with how fast the engine achieves max torque. Take away weight from the rotating assembly, and max torque is achieved quicker (less torque, more HP). Now when you add bolt ons such as intake and exhaust, you gain HP and torque because the engine is able to turn quicker (by flowing more air and gas in and out of the engine) and achieve max torque faster without decreasing the weight of the rotating mass.

It is pretty complicated. Think about small light engines, and how they almost always have more HP than torque, and then think about the huge big block engines and how they almost always have more torque than HP, unless they have a very lightweight rotating assembly (Ex: Ferrari enzo engine 6.0L, 600hp, and less than 500 torque due to the fact that it uses the lightest materials in the rotating assembly of the engine.)

chituntang
10-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I always shift my SR at about 2.5k rpm. Just not really like boost kicking in during DD and of course fuel just disappear as soon as the boost kick in, even at stock boost (need a tune anyways). For a GSR, in DD mode, I would do 3k as I drove my friend's teg.

chituntang
10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
here is the easiest way I can explain it without confusing people who already do not understand the concept.

Why do you think that heavy V8 engines make so much torque? Part of it is because the crank, rods, pistons, and flywheel is so heavy.

Honda's lack in torque partly because the rotating mass is so light.

HP is a product of torque, and has partly to do with how fast the engine achieves max torque. Take away weight from the rotating assembly, and max torque is achieved quicker (less torque, more HP). Now when you add bolt ons such as intake and exhaust, you gain HP and torque because the engine is able to turn quicker (by flowing more air and gas in and out of the engine) and achieve max torque faster without decreasing the weight of the rotating mass.

It is pretty complicated. Think about small light engines, and how they almost always have more HP than torque, and then think about the huge big block engines and how they almost always have more torque than HP, unless they have a very lightweight rotating assembly (Ex: Ferrari enzo engine 6.0L, 600hp, and less than 500 torque due to the fact that it uses the lightest materials in the rotating assembly of the engine.)

You are part right, but in another part, more displacement means more torque, no matter what (just look at b-series engines). More cylinders also helps as there are more things making power like you says.

speedminded
10-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Yea you can do that but can you hold it there for more than five minutes? I dont think so, or you will have a piston or rod up your ass, i can keep it up there for as long as i need to, and just cus i shift at 8.5 dont mean thats all it has my car reves to 10k is just that at those rpms my engine is not modefied to make any power, my power band starts to drop over 8k..lolol, we've run Honda's WOT at 8,500+ for 13 hours straight...mulitple times. I guarantee you more wankels don't finish an endurance race compared to Honda's.

TheProfiteer
10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I shift at 3500 on my Z6 Hatch and I am always way ahead of traffic.

chava_rx7
10-29-2007, 12:09 PM
lolol, we've run Honda's WOT at 8,500+ for 13 hours straight...mulitple times. I guarantee you more wankels don't finish an endurance race compared to Honda's.

Yea dey do, they were banned from the lemans 24 hour endurance racing because of just that, they can take a beating better than the competition..

thats why rotaries dont do endurance racing. :yes:

speedminded
10-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Yea dey do, they were banned from the lemans 24 hour endurance racing because of just that, they can take a beating better than the competition..

thats why rotaries dont do endurance racing. :yes:Are you going by what you've heard or how many endrance races you've driven or crewed for? Whether it's a 10/13hr Endurance or 24 hr Le Mans, Honda has ALWAYS been more reliable. Find me a source that says otherwise.

The rotary was banned because of its "unfair" weight advantages following its victory at the '91 Le Mans. You can't say they don't do endurance races because they run them ALL the time, just because they were banned by the FIA doesn't mean they don't compete under other associations and organizations.

spacelion
10-29-2007, 03:18 PM
lol funny thing is I dont have v-tec....my brother's em1 si, when he had it was insane. Had vtec controller in that bish...
Did you run 10s and unlock 100whp from the vtec controller?

Are you going by what you've heard or how many endrance races you've driven or crewed for? Whether it's a 10/13hr Endurance or 24 hr Le Mans, Honda has ALWAYS been more reliable. Find me a source that says otherwise.

The rotary was banned because of its "unfair" weight advantages following its victory at the '91 Le Mans. You can't say they don't do endurance races because they run them ALL the time, just because they were banned by the FIA doesn't mean they don't compete under other associations and organizations.
Yep that's true!

PS, I shift low 3k in mine.

Benefit
10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
lol its just weird taking my gsr to anything past 6k...on my SR the shift light would come on at 5k and by 6k i was already going fast as hell...

i dont think i can build up enough courage for 8k lol, i think the highest ive taken it is 6, such a revvy god damn motor...

allmotoronly
10-29-2007, 06:18 PM
You are part right, but in another part, more displacement means more torque, no matter what (just look at b-series engines). More cylinders also helps as there are more things making power like you says.

well yes more displacement means more torque because it is pushing more air and fuel in and out of the engine with each turn. Also larger displacement engines usually have more weight in the crank, rods and pistons. Weight and the rate that the engine can pump air and fuel in and out are where torque is made. I was simply stating that just because an engine is a 7.0L V12 does not mean that it will make more torque than a smaller engine with heavier internals. We both know that the ferrari engine is built with the highest amount of technology and the best light weight alloy parts parts, which is why it can rev so high and so fast. That doesn't mean that it will make more torque than a 350 Chevy with bolt ons.

allmotoronly
10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
lol its just weird taking my gsr to anything past 6k...on my SR the shift light would come on at 5k and by 6k i was already going fast as hell...

i dont think i can build up enough courage for 8k lol, i think the highest ive taken it is 6, such a revvy god damn motor...
lol It will actually let you go to about 8300 rpm before the rev limiter hits. Its hard not to shift at 4k around town, especially since the car is geared so close together.

Double_0_Rusty
10-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Did you run 10s and unlock 100whp from the vtec controller?

lol no.... It was just cool that HE had it in HIS SI. My car has a sohc zc non-vtec in it.

RX4BRDM
10-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I have to shift my s2k at around 5 during daily driving. s2k;s have no torque at all in stock form. Outside of boost its weak aswell.

.blank cd
10-29-2007, 10:32 PM
I shift whenever my automatic ****box tells me to

VooDooXII
10-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Below 3000 until the engine's warm...then, I shift between 3 and 4

Andy_013
10-29-2007, 11:37 PM

The last time I checked, a few RX-8 was in the rolex 24 hours race and in Grand-Am.

Andy_013
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Below 2500 until the engine's warm, after that I shift between 2500-3000 to save gas

0DISPLACMENT
10-29-2007, 11:53 PM
idk about the endurance stuff, but i guarantee that a rotary can take more than about any honda.....

-darrin

Benefit
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
and you can guarantee this how?

acuraracer
10-30-2007, 02:09 PM
i shift at 9300 rpm. every time.

Benefit
10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
^^ i wouldnt doubt it , with your mom in the car.

UpSideDownDesi
10-30-2007, 03:36 PM
it all depends on my driving mood....in GSR being lazy...3k shifts...Feeling good 5k.....feeling evil VTAAAK 8k shifts. In WRX i just feel evil period...even at 3-4k shifts.

madking411
10-30-2007, 07:49 PM
In my *auto.......* car, at a certain pressure on the pedal, the engine revs to between 2500 - 3500 before shifting, and thats some pretty nice torque for me. 4000 and up, ALL is lost, except for a lot more noise....:tongue1:

spacelion
10-30-2007, 07:58 PM

c'mon dude, you're missing all the fun in what you've got! i mean, don't rev to 8k every shift, but have some fun every once in a while haha

Benefit
10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
well my vtec solenoid is bad anyways...so its no point in shifting after 5k...but after i replace it, then i will lol.

spacelion
10-30-2007, 08:02 PM
well my vtec solenoid is bad anyways...so its no point in shifting after 5k...but after i replace it, then i will lol.
Oh okay I see...sucks man...

lol no.... It was just cool that HE had it in HIS SI. My car has a sohc zc non-vtec in it.
Gotcha. Good thing it's not in your car :goodjob: