PDA

View Full Version : Misc Anyone here ever hike the Appalachian Trail?

allmotoronly
10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
So me, my dad, my brother, and my sister's fiance are going to hike a section of the AT this fall/winter. I already have some gear, and I have recently bought some more, but I'm not sure if I have the proper equipment for the AT. Have any of you guys hiked the AT before? Is there anything special I will need to take? here's a list of my current gear. If any of you guys can think of anything extra I will need, let me know. We are going for about 7 days or so this time, and hope to hike from amicalola falls to somewhere just north of the GA-NC state line (90 miles). I am going to write the prices as well so you can see how much things cost incase anyone else is interested in getting into backpacking and hiking.

My gear:
The North Face Heron 33 tent ($369)
The North Face footprint ($45)
Garmin 60 Csx GPS plus 24k topo maps ($589)
Marmot Terraplane backpack ($379)
Marmot 15 degree mummy bag ($149)
Big Agnes sleeping pad ($80)
Sleeping bag liner and pillow ($80)
MSR Simmerlite stove ($99)
MSR expedition service kit ($25)
MSR Duralite gourmet pots ($80)
Snow Peak ti plate and cup ($60)
MSR Alpine bowl ($10)
2-MSR fuel bottle 33oz ($30)
MSR miniworks EX water filtration system ($90)
Extra MSR marathon EX filter and service kit ($60)
GSI utensils and spatula ($12)
MSR hydromedary hydration bag 3L ($40)
1-Nalgene 64oz water containers ($25)
2-Nalgene 32 oz water bottles ($12)
Custom setup first aid kit ($???)
TNF Hiking boots 50lb rated ($150)

My dad's gear:
Sierra Design Anteres tent ($300)
Sierra Design footprint ($45)
TNF mammoth sleeping bag ($150)
Gregory whitney backpack ($369)
MSR Alpine plate, bowl, cup ($30)
2-Nalgene 32oz water bottles ($12)
1-Nalgene 64oz water containers ($25)
Gerber Axe/saw combo ($50)
leatherman surge multitool ($80)
TNF Hiking boots 50lb rated ($150)

My Brother and my sister's fiance's gear:
2-Jansport 65L backpack ($300)
4-Nalgene 32ox bottles
2-Nalgene 64oz containers
2-TNF boots 30lb rated ($115)

Shared gear:
50 freeze dried meals ($300) -not enough for 7 days and 4 people...
heavy trash bags
ponchos
lighters, waterproof matches, fire starter
rope
parachute cord
duct tape
heat resistant metal tape

Am I forgetting anything important?????

onebadgt
10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
i reccomend a 45. cal also, a friend of mine went for 3 weeks, and got all of his money and some supplies stolen when a trail rat mugged him with a knife

Elbow
10-24-2007, 09:04 PM
I hiked like a mile of it...lol....sounds awesome though. Be safe, have fun!

81911SC
10-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Where are you starting? I lived at the base of Springer Mountain for awhile.

allmotoronly
10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
i reccomend a 45. cal also, a friend of mine went for 3 weeks, and got all of his money and some supplies stolen when a trail rat mugged him with a knife

well you can't take guns on certain parts.... but I'm looking at a glock 20 10mm.

allmotoronly
10-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Where are you starting? I lived at the base of Springer Mountain for awhile.

at springer mountain... you actually have to start at amicalola falls state park and hike 8 miles to get to the beginning.

AnthonyF
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I like Oregon Trail

81911SC
10-25-2007, 11:28 AM
at springer mountain... you actually have to start at amicalola falls state park and hike 8 miles to get to the beginning.
Yea. You will pass my old house going there. Fun road on the way too.:goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
10-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm no hiking expert, although I was a boy scout until I got kicked out for eating a brownie.....(tongue n cheek joke there):D , but I have hicked that trail.

We too went for 7 days. I will give you one piece of advice from my experience there: You will pack too much. ;)

I would concentrate on things that are absolute "must haves", (like excellent first aid supplies, water purification tabs, protective gear, gps, and certainly a weapon), and leave behind fancy stuff (like 5 different sets of pots and pans, stoves, and cushy sleeping pads with pillows). Yes, it's nice to have some things at some times, but it is much better to have others all the time.

BTW, I'm not knocking your choices, just giving you my advice based on my hike. We cooked over open fires, buried our trash, and got a ton of use out of the many creeks and streams. The terrain is very uneven. It goes up and down and side to side. Sometimes it's wide, sometimes it narrows. You will see a ton of wild life, if you're not trudging thru the woods like a herd of buffalo. Don't be in a hurry because you're only clock should be your feet. When you're hungry, pull you up a stump and eat. When you are tired, setup camp and sleep. There is some really cool bridges and very cold streams up there. You should enjoy it as I did.

I plan on taking my son there when he's old enough. :goodjob:

allmotoronly
10-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm no hiking expert, although I was a boy scout until I got kicked out for eating a brownie.....(tongue n cheek joke there):D , but I have hicked that trail.

We too went for 7 days. I will give you one piece of advice from my experience there: You will pack too much. ;)

I would concentrate on things that are absolute "must haves", (like excellent first aid supplies, water purification tabs, protective gear, gps, and certainly a weapon), and leave behind fancy stuff (like 5 different sets of pots and pans, stoves, and cushy sleeping pads with pillows). Yes, it's nice to have some things at some times, but it is much better to have others all the time.

BTW, I'm not knocking your choices, just giving you my advice based on my hike. We cooked over open fires, buried our trash, and got a ton of use out of the many creeks and streams. The terrain is very uneven. It goes up and down and side to side. Sometimes it's wide, sometimes it narrows. You will see a ton of wild life, if you're not trudging thru the woods like a herd of buffalo. Don't be in a hurry because you're only clock should be your feet. When you're hungry, pull you up a stump and eat. When you are tired, setup camp and sleep. There is some really cool bridges and very cold streams up there. You should enjoy it as I did.

I plan on taking my son there when he's old enough. :goodjob:

well my pack is pretty big, and I am used to carrying 50+lbs, so all the extra's will make the trip more comfortable... Also in some areas there is a burn ban, so I have to take the stove. My pots and pans kit consists of 2 pots and one frypan, with one lid that fits all three. They nest together and all together are about the size of 2 nalgene bottles when packed. The stove also fits inside the smallest pot and can be packed with the pots to save space. I dont With 4 of us going, we can carry about 160lbs of gear. MY dad and me will carry about 50lbs each, and my brother and my sister's fiance will probably carry 30lbs each or so...

dm1995
10-25-2007, 04:00 PM
i worked for rei and have done some parts of it.i might be able to help you with any questions just ask.but remember the lighter the better., half the people that start with certain amount of gear rarely finish with the same amount.

allmotoronly
10-25-2007, 04:41 PM
yea I have a lot of lightweight gear. The problem with lightweight stuff is that you sacrifice quailty when you go lightweight. I have a north face Vario 23 lightweight tent. It is a 2 man tent and weighs 3lbs. The only problem is that it is a single wall tent, and not really water resistant. I tested it out one night, and it sprinkled once for 5 minutes and I got soaked.

dm1995
10-26-2007, 06:48 PM
you might want to recoat it im not sure if they come already coated or not.then if that doesnt work bring a tarp and forget the foot print

THEONE
10-26-2007, 08:05 PM
i was going to when i was 17 i was going to go with an older couple they were cool ;) but i did not go because of money for supplies. we kept track of them for a little while from what i heard they made it 50 miles before quitting. they quit because they chose to stay in little camp sites along the way from previous hikers and they left trash and scraps and that attracted rats and other pests. so while they slept in these places rats would wake them up chewing on thier hair and biting them. so yeah im glad i didnt go. if you do pick your own camp site.

allmotoronly
10-26-2007, 11:54 PM
you might want to recoat it im not sure if they come already coated or not.then if that doesnt work bring a tarp and forget the foot print

It already cost me $300 plus $45 for the footprint. Im sending that piece of **** back...

Quattro Kid
10-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I started on the Georgia/SC border and hiked our way to Virginia. It was a summer camp thing and it took us a week to do it, I was 13-14, I saw that you're bringing a saw/hatchet combo, I didn't see anything about a knife, I'd bring a large pocket knife that was dependable and sturdy, but other than that everything looks good

allmotoronly
10-29-2007, 11:29 AM
yea I am taking a knife, as well as a multitool with two different blades

SL65AMG
10-29-2007, 11:54 AM
dude you pack like you're climbing everest. - you forgot the crimp-ons and your ice pick lol

if youre bringing MRE's or those mountain house/ alpine aire meals you only need one pot for boiling water. and some forks/knives.

how long are you going? how far? that determines a lot of what you need to bring.

cuz on top of all that other **** you wanna bring, you gotta bring clothes. dont forget the clothes. and invest in some REALLYYY GOOOD SOCKS and liners. get some insoles for your boots too.

and as far as first aid goes, it never hurts to be prepared

"its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

and you had better bring a MINIMUM of a 9mm. 45 is best. keep an eye on the wildlife both 4 legged and two. bears are plentiful in the mtns and with you cooking all of that **** its just a matter of time before one comes and finds you.

HANG your PACKS in the TREES and dont leave anything in the tent but your gun and some necessities. no food.

Quattro Kid
10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
oh yea and some of the stuff that you put on the back of your heals so they don't get rubbed raw, make sure you have PLENTY of those, that was the biggest problem I encountered

allmotoronly
10-30-2007, 07:27 PM
dude you pack like you're climbing everest. - you forgot the crimp-ons and your ice pick lol

if youre bringing MRE's or those mountain house/ alpine aire meals you only need one pot for boiling water. and some forks/knives.

how long are you going? how far? that determines a lot of what you need to bring.

cuz on top of all that other **** you wanna bring, you gotta bring clothes. dont forget the clothes. and invest in some REALLYYY GOOOD SOCKS and liners. get some insoles for your boots too.

and as far as first aid goes, it never hurts to be prepared

"its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

and you had better bring a MINIMUM of a 9mm. 45 is best. keep an eye on the wildlife both 4 legged and two. bears are plentiful in the mtns and with you cooking all of that **** its just a matter of time before one comes and finds you.

HANG your PACKS in the TREES and dont leave anything in the tent but your gun and some necessities. no food.

we are going for 7-10 days, and plan to go about 100 miles or so

The reason I am taking a set of two pots and one frypan is because there are four of us going. Some of the freeze dried meals require two pots, some require a fry pan. It weighs a half pound total. I'm not worried about the pots and pans. I'm not going to forget clothes, and I have five pairs of good hiking socks. I have a 9mm, but I am planning on getting a Glock 20 (10mm), which is more powerful than a .45ACP. I work in the medical field, so I have the ultimate first aid kit with everything I will need. If any of us get injured worse than I have supplies for, the only thing that will save us would be a med-evac.

integra82786
10-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I hiked the Rocky Mountains in New Mexico for 10 days in 2001. We did 98 miles throughout the trip, saw some amazing sights. It sounds like you're pretty set for the trip as far as gear is concerned. All I can really say is cotton kills, and be ready for all weather. A gun is a very good idea, considering bears are finishing stocking up for hibernation. And yes, hang EVERYTHING that smells, from toothpaste to trash, and far from your camp and the trail. Only move as fast as the slowest person, and don't rush yourselves. Make sure you hike in broken in boots, and yes socks and liners. Usually its a good rule not to carry more than 1/3 of your body weight.
Know when and where you can get water. And I always prefered a purifier over iodine tabs. Stay hydrated all the time, and never sleep in the clothes you hiked in that day. Hypothermia sucks. If you stop for breaks, make it either 30 seconds or 5 minutes to avoid cramps. I always hiked no trace, anything I took in I took out. There are hot spots along the trail where you can throw out trash and restock gear or food. Its good to know where those are too.
Last of all, a group hiking the trail in front of us was attacked by a bear because one of them spilled food on his shirt and didn't wash it or hang it up. Don't under estimate them and camp smart. Don't forget a camera and post pics of the trip when you get back.