PDA

View Full Version : ls/vtec motor questions.

blown_ss
10-24-2007, 09:44 AM
ok i have been weighing my options for a while now. i have a built head to put on my ls/vtec and i have been trying to figure out if i want to try to do it myself or let someone or a shop do it for me. i have never done work like this before but im sure that i can do it. its something that i would like to say that i did but i dont want to screw up. i have alot of friends that can help me out, so i shouldnt have a problem.

ok well here is my questions. i know that the #1 piston has to be at TDC but, can i do it after the old head is off or after i put the new head on before i put the timing belt on? also adjusting the valves, what do i look for in doing this? thats mainly about it. i know that i might sound like a dumb ass with these questions, its just something that i have never done before and would like to learn. reps will be given to the ones that help me. thanks in advance.

Vteckidd
10-24-2007, 09:49 AM
pull the head off, then you can rotate the block to TDC, since you can see the piston, put it on TDC an make sure the crank pulley marks are lines up.

reinstall the head, then install the cams, and do a valve adjustment.

the valve adjustment is just setting the lash, you dont look for anything except 8 on intake 6 on exhaust :)

get a HELMS MANUAL

Benefit
10-24-2007, 09:52 AM
its not that hard for a first timer...pull off the intake and exhaust manis, set the motor to tdc (you can do this by spinning the motor and looking at the crank pulley) , then just take off the cams bracket bolts things in order per fsm and the headstuds in order...and just pull the head off...

reinstall everything back in order , idk how it is on hondas but the first 2 cam lobes should be facing outwards, anyone correct me if im wrong , but i know thats how to do it on a sr...

blown_ss
10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
thanks guys. i think im going to do it this weekend. i will let you know how it went. thanks. repped

drmcivicsi
10-24-2007, 08:05 PM
its not that hard for a first timer...pull off the intake and exhaust manis, set the motor to tdc (you can do this by spinning the motor and looking at the crank pulley) , then just take off the cams bracket bolts things in order per fsm and the headstuds in order...and just pull the head off...

reinstall everything back in order , idk how it is on hondas but the first 2 cam lobes should be facing outwards, anyone correct me if im wrong , but i know thats how to do it on a sr...

one thing leave the intake manifold on its easyer that way

Vuongy_Dong
10-24-2007, 10:08 PM
just make your you torque the head correctly and double check again. Its pretty easy if you can read a helms and have a mind for it. look on honda tech if you have any questions.

blown_ss
10-25-2007, 07:14 AM
one thing leave the intake manifold on its easyer that way

im using a different head so that wont work out. thanks for you help guys.:D

Barefoot
10-25-2007, 11:04 AM
get a HELMS MANUAL
dat right

blown_ss
10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
dat right

i have a HAYNES manual. im sure its the samething.

EmminoDaGreat
10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
I always put the motor on tdc before i take it apart, but to each his own. Just make sure you have the pain in the ass lil hoses off the back of the intake mani, and the bracket (if its on there).

blown_ss
10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I always put the motor on tdc before i take it apart, but to each his own. Just make sure you have the pain in the ass lil hoses off the back of the intake mani, and the bracket (if its on there).

will do thanks.