PDA

View Full Version : FWD hard cornering question

madking411
10-23-2007, 02:51 PM
When you're cornering really hard, and you make one of the rear wheels float up off the ground, im wonderin, is there anything special you should do to keep the car gripping the road?:???:

Sortof the way when RWD cars start slidin, you should countersteer to keep it on the road...:thinking:

SL65AMG
10-23-2007, 02:59 PM
i think if your rear end gets loose on a FWD car youre done. i may be wrong. but when you slide the rear end out on a RWD you're still guiding yourself with the fronts and pushing with the rears. when you lose the rear end on a FWD the rears just kinda sit there and slide. yure trying to guide and steer with the fronts. idk if that makes any sense, and hell i could be wrong.... that just seems logical.

if you "countersteer" with a FWD like you do a RWD you will end up OFF or the road.... guaranteed

dont try to drift your car.....

and someone correct me if im wrong

madking411
10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
No, no, im not talkin about DRIFTIN...im talkin bout when the car is in a reallly tight turn, and this ends up happening...(back wheel OFF the ground..)http://www.tomo-dachi.net/sccapics/jon-040807-1/dsc_3376.jpg

Im wondering if theres anything special i should do with the steering if whats happenin in the pic starts happenin to my car.

changaroo
10-23-2007, 03:15 PM
dont drive it like you stole it? lol...

Big Baller
10-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Chances are thats not going to happen to you on street tires. If you are generating enough grip to lift the insider rear you shouldn't have to do anything because the car is following the arc it is on. As far as not being able to counter steer a fwd car when it slides thats horse ****. You can counter steer anything, generally the correct response would be a slight steering correction and stay in the gas, that will usally pull the car out of a slide.

Matt

SL65AMG
10-23-2007, 03:18 PM
No, no, im not talkin about DRIFTIN...im talkin bout when the car is in a reallly tight turn, and this ends up happening...(back wheel OFF the ground..)http://www.tomo-dachi.net/sccapics/jon-040807-1/dsc_3376.jpg

Im wondering if theres anything special i should do with the steering if whats happenin in the pic starts happenin to my car.

well if you dont have glue... i mean FAN-PHUCKING-TASTIC tires, that wont happen.

TwoPointOhh
10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
immediately lift off the accelerator and give it gas again to shift the weight to the back when accelerating again???

madking411
10-23-2007, 03:20 PM
ohhh ok.....well, i think i might be makin that much grip b/cuz 1) my car is pretty lightweight for its size....2) my suspension is SUPPPPPER hard....

and 3) i was drivin hard through these twisties, and the car went into the turn at sortof a different angle that i've never seen before...The nose kinda dipped into the ground a lil bit, and the inside was tilted slightly out. (NO, its not body roll....my cars suspension doesnt even have room to body roll if it wanted to...lol)

SL65AMG
10-23-2007, 03:25 PM
are you talking about your sunbird? or sunfire? or whatever the **** it is. a cavalier?

madking411
10-23-2007, 03:26 PM
are you talking about your sunbird? or sunfire? or whatever the **** it is. a cavalier?

mmhm.......:ninja:
(here come the hate/flame....)

changaroo
10-23-2007, 03:32 PM
i highly doubt your suspension can three wheel, forgive me if im wrong. what are you running under there? sways and strut bars too?

madking411
10-23-2007, 03:38 PM
i highly doubt your suspension can three wheel, forgive me if im wrong. what are you running under there? sways and strut bars too?

yeah:yes:

Big Baller
10-23-2007, 03:40 PM
immediately lift off the accelerator and give it gas again to shift the weight to the back when accelerating again???

Oh yes lets unsettle the car as much as possible.

If he is already in the gas then he has already transferred weight, what you are telling him to do is just going to make him spin the car.

If you want to bring the back wheel back down ease of the gas or unwind the wheel.

Don't do anything jerky or stupid....oh and you aren't three wheeling you're cavy on street tires.

bigjacsoc
10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
try getting a spoiler, i mean they are used to give you down force which may help that problem. also you may want to adjust the brake bias so that when u brake its not all in the front so it dive forward losing rear traction also, balance it out so that the rear wheels slow down so that youre still slowing down as much but without the dive

Fr33way
10-23-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry arn't you on stock struts?

madking411
10-23-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry arn't you on stock struts?
mhm

gettin some new ones will make this stop wont it?

Fr33way
10-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I guess what I am saying is that this conversation isn't going to get you much of anywhere. You are on some ebay coils on stock struts. The handlings MAY actually be worse than stock (although feel better). For instance, do you know you're front and rear springrates? That would be a good place to start.

Since you are on stock struts they can still extend as long as they could with the stock springs when unloaded. The wheel is not actually lifting it is just REALLY extended. The sensation you MAY feel is the actual upper mounts from the struts coming away from the top of the spring.

nreggie454
10-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Lifting your inside rear tire in a hard turn is no biggie. That usually means that you are gripping really hard with your other tires and you have stiff suspension.

Big Baller knows what he is talking about. +1 for him.

If you get unsettled in an FWD, do NOT lift the accelerator. Keep the on the gas and countersteer. Most people mess up because they over-correct or lift, causing them to blow it and spin.

bigjacsoc is just plain wrong. He played a couple video games and now he is well-versed in the subject. Spoilers don't do much for FWD cars unless it is a functional one (most are just purely cosmetic), and functional ones are pretty pricey. Also, you won't get much noticable benefit out of it unless it is a track car. The brake bias stuff is something most people never touch, and, again won't be necessary unless it is a dedicated track car. Also, adjusting the brake bias toward the rear does NOT make it brake just as well with less nose-dive. In fact, too much rear bias will cause the rear tires to lock, making you spin.

blown_ss
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
this guy is full of ****. why would he ask this knowing that his car wouldnt do that anyways? i guess he thinks it would be cool to do, not. i have taken turns almost as fast as my car would let me and this has not even came close to happening and i know that i have better tires and suspension then he does. i dont understand why little kids think its cool to be like the F&F. oh well enough said. dont kill yourself trying to do this.

Elbow
10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Just dont worry about it, my EG used to do it ALL the time on street tires, you cant really feel it. And you can countersteer a FWD car just as you can RWD. If your FWD starts to overseer give it more gas lol.

KPowerEP3
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
FWD oversteer is fun. :yes:

Elbow
10-24-2007, 11:22 AM
this guy is full of ****. why would he ask this knowing that his car wouldnt do that anyways? i guess he thinks it would be cool to do, not. i have taken turns almost as fast as my car would let me and this has not even came close to happening and i know that i have better tires and suspension then he does. i dont understand why little kids think its cool to be like the F&F. oh well enough said. dont kill yourself trying to do this.

You sound just as dumb :gay:

blown_ss
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
You sound just as dumb :gay:

i would like for you to tell me how. this guy drives a sunfire and i sound dumb. im just saying that he sounds like he is trying to make his car do this, which is very stupid. im glad that your eg did it, mine never did or that i didnt push it hard enough to danger my life. sorry im not that stupid. thanks.

speedminded
10-24-2007, 02:51 PM
When you're cornering really hard, and you make one of the rear wheels float up off the ground, im wonderin, is there anything special you should do to keep the car gripping the road?:???:

Sortof the way when RWD cars start slidin, you should countersteer to keep it on the road...:thinking:Why do you think you would be losing traction when the inside rear wheel is off on a FF? That tire does very little, your grip will be on the outside wheels, more specifically the front outside wheel.

Do you have a floor jack at home? Take a picture of this scenario for me will you please...? At the rear of the car underneath should be a tow hook/jack point directly in the center...please jack the car up until the rear wheels are just barely off the ground...just enough to slight your a piece of cardboard under it then take a picture from the side...

BTW, if a FF car has it's inside rear wheel up i can almost bet you it's not sliding...it's gripping just fine ;)

madking411
10-24-2007, 09:22 PM
i would like for you to tell me how. this guy drives a sunfire and i sound dumb. im just saying that he sounds like he is trying to make his car do this, which is very stupid. im glad that your eg did it, mine never did or that i didnt push it hard enough to danger my life. sorry im not that stupid. thanks.

I should neg. rep you for that comment. :mad: Dont hate on my car. I get enough of that in other threads......

I'm not TRYING to make this happen..I was merely askin if theres anything different i should do with the steering IF and only IF this were to ever happen to me in ANY frontwheel drive car that i should so happen to be drving hard, or racing, etc.

JDM onlyy
10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Why do you think you would be losing traction when the inside rear wheel is off on a FF? That tire does very little, your grip will be on the outside wheels, more specifically the front outside wheel.

Do you have a floor jack at home? Take a picture of this scenario for me will you please...? At the rear of the car underneath should be a tow hook/jack point directly in the center...please jack the car up until the rear wheels are just barely off the ground...just enough to slight your a piece of cardboard under it then take a picture from the side...

BTW, if a FF car has it's inside rear wheel up i can almost bet you it's not sliding...it's gripping just fine ;)

He's right. That rear inner wheel isn't really doing anything anyways.

But if your wheel is getting air, chances are your line is too tight and you hugged the inside way too early. Oh and you would be sliding instead of your wheel picking up so your grip is gravy...but you are putting excessive wear on your other tire, but if its Time Attack...go for it!