PDA

View Full Version : H.I.D. question

Meso Teggy
10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
i wanna get an H.I.D. kit but are there any lighting restrictions in georgia i should know about? i dont wanna get it and have the cops harassin me everytime they see me

fade2blk500
10-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Not sure if there is any regulations but I had hid's on my high and low beams and accidently had them both on passing a cop. He pulled me over, just told me to turn off the high beams.. lol I'm sure with hid's on the low beams you'll be more than fine.

Whiteboy™
10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
WHERE IS NITRO!?
:???::thinking::???::thinking::???::thinking:

Meso Teggy
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Not sure if there is any regulations but I had hid's on my high and low beams and accidently had them both on passing a cop. He pulled me over, just told me to turn off the high beams.. lol I'm sure with hid's on the low beams you'll be more than fine.
ok thanx man

Meso Teggy
10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
WHERE IS NITRO!?
:???::thinking::???::thinking::???::thinking:
huh?:???:

Kamikaze
10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
I know people with 10000K and haven't been pulled over (yet). But I have heard of people getting ticketed for having 3000K. I'd stay between 4300K and 6000K to be on the safe side.

Tech5
10-22-2007, 10:07 PM
8k an 10k is perfect ! I have them an I sold some to my neighbor who is a cop , an he says there fine, longs its not green,blue blue,or red,orange,

cdhtang
10-22-2007, 10:17 PM
What I know is that any of the after market hid kit are illegal. The design of halogen headlight and hid headlight are different, so when you put hid kit into your halogen headlight would produce glare which will blind other people. If you want to see the differences, for reflector headlights you can compare the hid of IS, GS, & etc to other halogen. For projectors, you can compare them with TL, TSX, & etc. You can see the sharp clear cut off lines of the factory hid.
If you decide to put after market hid kits on, pls aim your headlights lower.
I heard the best temp is 5300k, you will have the best vision. Hight temperature doesn't mean you will have better vision. Try compare a 4300k to a 8000k or 10000k, you will notice to different.

Meso Teggy
10-22-2007, 10:17 PM
8k an 10k is perfect ! I have them an I sold some to my neighbor who is a cop , an he says there fine, longs its not green,blue blue,or red,orange,
so what about the light blue...or ur jus sayin for those dark blues....if understand what im tryin to get at

Ch0psticks11
10-22-2007, 10:20 PM
i got 12K's in my xterra and nobody's said anything to me yet.

SEAN
10-22-2007, 10:21 PM
I am running 6000K on my HID's aimed lower...3rd round of HID kits...I love them...halogen are way too YELLOW!

KPowerEP3
10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I know people with 10000K and haven't been pulled over (yet). But I have heard of people getting ticketed for having 3000K. I'd stay between 4300K and 6000K to be on the safe side.

I never had the first instance of a cop saying anything about my 3500k's on my honda.

osiriskidd
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
i'd say go 8k AT MOST. 6k for best visibility. and aim your headlights down w/ stock housing.

Tech5
10-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Dark blue is Illegal, light blue, well depends on the cop at that tme if he is a A*8 then he might give you a ticket

Kamikaze
10-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I never had the first instance of a cop saying anything about my 3500k's on my honda.

Guess it just depends on the county/cop.

KPowerEP3
10-22-2007, 11:03 PM

yeah, that's with anything, one cop will let you slide and another will be an ass about it.

Also, to what osiriskidd said, 6000k and 3000-3500k are going to be the brightest.

osiriskidd
10-22-2007, 11:07 PM
yeah, that's with anything, one cop will let you slide and another will be an ass about it.

Also, to what osiriskidd said, 6000k and 3000-3500k are going to be the brightest.

thats why i said 6000, cuz people still want the blue in 8000 but you still have decent visibility.

chituntang
10-23-2007, 04:18 AM
All aftermarket (retrofit) hid are illegal for street use, according to the DOT. That is why you do not see any of these on sale on retail stores. As chtang says, housings for hid and halogen are designed differently so that the reflection will be different. But the biggest problem is that people just put the retrofit hid on their cars without adjust them, then blind other drivers which cause accidents. That's why hid are banned over time. Do not give those "I have not got pull over by a cop yet" sh*t cause not all cops can tell the difference between normal and hid headlights. My friend had one of those color changing corner lights on his car for a year before he got pull over and fine 300ish cause it turns blue as a pattern. Just a matter of time when you do.

Back to the question. I loved my 8k hid. 5 to 6k is the whitest you can get. 3k ish is too yellow. Oh, and do not go over 8k hid, it is illegal. I read it from a post on another forum...

KPowerEP3
10-23-2007, 06:00 AM
All aftermarket (retrofit) hid are illegal for street use, according to the DOT. That is why you do not see any of these on sale on retail stores. As chtang says, housings for hid and halogen are designed differently so that the reflection will be different. But the biggest problem is that people just put the retrofit hid on their cars without adjust them, then blind other drivers which cause accidents. That's why hid are banned over time. Do not give those "I have not got pull over by a cop yet" sh*t cause not all cops can tell the difference between normal and hid headlights. My friend had one of those color changing corner lights on his car for a year before he got pull over and fine 300ish cause it turns blue as a pattern. Just a matter of time when you do.

Back to the question. I loved my 8k hid. 5 to 6k is the whitest you can get. 3k ish is too yellow. Oh, and do not go over 8k hid, it is illegal. I read it from a post on another forum...

here's a little FYI: don't believe everything you read, besides, it's repetitive. You are correct in the fact that they are, technically, illegal on cars not shipped with cars with HID as OE. FMVSS108 states that all retrofit kits are not street legal, and most state laws are based off of that.

MOST cops won't pull you over and ticket you due to having HIDs, as most aren't aware of the illegal nature of them. What gets you pulled over most is going to be color, so go with the most OE looking kit and there's a good chance nothing will ever come of it.

edit: for those who don't know, FMVSS= Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard

Kevykev
10-23-2007, 06:40 AM
^ INDEED

That's pretty much the case/answer.

4300k is generally what manufacturers produce since it's the closest Kelvin Rating to daylight reproduction.

Just take the time to due a retrofit with OEM projectors and you'll be set.

95% of people will just throw an aftermarket kit on their car most will shoot glare all over the road blinding oncoming traffic since their headlight housings are reflected halogen applications.

I did a retrofit 3 years ago and it was on of the best mods i've done!

Just be as consistent as possible. :yes:

xliv2racex
10-23-2007, 07:25 AM
sunlight is 5600 K..... btw

Kevykev
10-23-2007, 07:43 AM
My source had compromised info. I stand corrected.

4300k is the manufacturer's choice though!

bigjacsoc
10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
i believe TECHNICALLY anything 5000k over is illegal and some in high 4k's but cops dont usually pull over for that stupid @$@$@$@$. any color over/under 4300k is wasting power. 4300k is the brightest possible which is why bmw and mercedes use it. 3000k on reg lights would get you pulled over easy because 3000k's are used for fog lights on the bottom while ur lows are on. also if u go to google 4300k has a straight line when car is next to a wall when anything over it like 5000k+ shines everywhere which are the kind that blind u when they are comming from the other way. 4300ks will only shine up to a normal cars hood in a perfect straight line when usual 6000k's are out of control and shine as high as stop lights even when on low beams which is why they are illegal. any higher than 4300k creates glare for oncomers. go to this website explains the 4100k vs the other ones. http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html (http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html)

Meso Teggy
10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
so then basically what u guys are saying is stick with something in the range of 3000-4500k?....next question...is this something i can install myself? i have no clue as to how it (H.I.D.) works....is it jus a bulb u get or or a whole kit that needs to be professionally installed?:thinking:

chituntang
10-23-2007, 09:31 PM
There is the bulbs, ballasts, and necessary harness for your installation. The wire may looks like a mess, but you can get the job done. Takes about 30 to 90 mins depends on how you want the harness to look.

Meso Teggy
10-23-2007, 09:40 PM
There is the bulbs, ballasts, and necessary harness for your installation. The wire may looks like a mess, but you can get the job done. Takes about 30 to 90 mins depends on how you want the harness to look.
damn...i suck at doin meticulous sh*t like that i rather work with someone

Nitro
10-23-2007, 09:56 PM
;) Hrmmmm?

jdm_91crx
10-23-2007, 10:26 PM
stick wit OEM. or JDM...

§treet_§peed
10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Nitro to the rescue. i think imma go with a 6000k kit myself from Nitro soon as i got the cheese up

TheChosenOne
10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Damn... I didn't even think about that "halogen houseings are designed didfferently than HID housings"... That makes really good sense.

Meso Teggy
10-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Damn... I didn't even think about that "halogen houseings are designed didfferently than HID housings"... That makes really good sense.
me either thats why i wanna know if i have to change the housing

Terror
10-24-2007, 08:10 PM
IMO its almost better to base it off of color when trying to find out whats going to get you pulled over. i have 3000k (yellow) in my high beams, and 10000k (purplish) in my low beams, both housings are pointed down to not blind anyone, but ive been pulled over a few times because of the yellow light in general. And a lot of times, different manufacturers have different/ more definitive colors than others with the same temp. rating... so i like to take color into consideration more so then temp. sometimes to really know what im getting. just my 2cents...

Terror
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
me either thats why i wanna know if i have to change the housing

you shouldnt have to, DC2 integras have OE halogen projectors. Almost the same as factory xenon projectors. you only might want to consider that if you had just regular halogen lamps.. but i rock em' anyway and point them down to avoid cheap, ricey looking aftermarket headlamp projecors. hope this helps...

Nitro
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Nitro to the rescue. i think imma go with a 6000k kit myself from Nitro soon as i got the cheese up

u da man!!!!

good point untitled_001

Terror
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
^^^ thanks man, just trying to make myself useful.. :ninja:

Meso Teggy
10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
you shouldnt have to, DC2 integras have OE halogen projectors. Almost the same as factory xenon projectors. you only might want to consider that if you had just regular halogen lamps.. but i rock em' anyway and point them down to avoid cheap, ricey looking aftermarket headlamp projecors. hope this helps...
oh word...so then jus keep the stock housing and just buy the kit

Nitro
10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
oh word...so then jus keep the stock housing and just buy the kit

*DING DING DING*

BuBBa DRiFT
10-24-2007, 10:10 PM
nitro, maybe you can help us out on HID legalities and other information.
No one has the same answer yet, maybe you should shed some light on the subject

Meso Teggy
10-24-2007, 10:16 PM
*DING DING DING*
lol...ok nitro im gonna holla at you when im ready for them...i plan on buying some black halo lights/housing whatever its called and get the H.I.D.'s for it

Nitro
10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
nitro, maybe you can help us out on HID legalities and other information.
No one has the same answer yet, maybe you should shed some light on the subject

o but i have kind sir....here it is again :D

http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115479

sogood
10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
HIDs in a housing/headlight that didn't originally come with them IS illegal.

Whether or not you get pulled over and ticketed though will vary. I currently have a 5,300k kit in my E36 M3 and have never had any issues with the cops about them, even when pulled over for other things.

The only time I've really heard people being hassled was if they had really blue/purple/pink HIDs. (8,000k +) But that's not to say even with a 4,300 - 5,300k kit you still wouldn't get ticketed, no matter if you have white looking HIDs or blue ones, it's illegal.

Nitro
10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
lol...ok nitro im gonna holla at you when im ready for them...i plan on buying some black halo lights/housing whatever its called and get the H.I.D.'s for it

no problem ....i''m easy to contact :D

§treet_§peed
10-25-2007, 12:23 PM
u da man!!!!

good point untitled_001:(

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Nitro again.

acuraracer
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
whats wrong with the headlights you got now???

Meso Teggy
10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
whats wrong with the headlights you got now???
they're all hazy and scratched they look terrible...i tried wet sanding but it came out worse:(...and i like the black housing ones so im a jus get those:yes: