PDA

View Full Version : Sparking/Starting Issues (Honda)

blaknoize
10-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I need help because I'm on a VERY limited amount of money right now and I dont want to replace it and it not be the case.

1991 Honda CRX Si. 1.6 (stock motor)
Sitting at a red light, engaging first gear, car dies... hasnt started since.
checked timing, it was ok, checked distributor parts (coil, igntion module they all checked out fine) tinkered with a few wires and tried it again. Car now rotates but will not start. It ALMOST starts, but will not run. (if u get what I'm saying.)

I'm asking anyone that has knowledge of this, or has actually had this issue to help me out. I believe the problem is on the other end of the distributor, the "crank" side. I'm not sure though, but I need it resolved. I only have enough to purchase the right part, so please... anyone.

Help me out.:???:

JDM onlyy
10-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Got a check engine? If you do, you need to pull off the carpet where your ecu and count the lights..it'll tell you whats wrong with it...usually. But I think you might want to change your main relay. That happened to me and I changed the main relay...fixed my problems.

mx34life
10-21-2007, 05:12 PM
it just maybe your igntion module and coil but this sounds like a bad igntion module to me

Mad Mike
10-21-2007, 05:25 PM
do you have fuel pressure at the injectors? are the injectors firing? do you have spark at the plugs? are there any ecu codes flashing?

I've never had my car die at a stoplight but thats te first things I would check.

blaknoize
10-21-2007, 05:48 PM
No spark at the plugs... I have fuel pressure (assuming because I can smell gas, I should crack the line though) I havent looked at the ECU nor would I know what the codes actually meant. But we checked the plugs, the ICM, the Ignitor and the timing on the car itself. No luck. I'll look at the ECU when I get back home. Do any of u guys know what either code will mean beforehand. I happen to be in American Car Captial and no one in the world knows or cares to help.

JDM onlyy
10-21-2007, 08:26 PM
No spark at the plugs... I have fuel pressure (assuming because I can smell gas, I should crack the line though) I havent looked at the ECU nor would I know what the codes actually meant. But we checked the plugs, the ICM, the Ignitor and the timing on the car itself. No luck. I'll look at the ECU when I get back home. Do any of u guys know what either code will mean beforehand. I happen to be in American Car Captial and no one in the world knows or cares to help.

count the lights then tell us. then we can tell you what it is. if you're not getting any spark then its most likely a dizzy problem. check to see if your rotor button spins when you crank it. and you should see lil sparks from that if not then its your dizzy. if you do then your plugs or wires may be fried...

good luck! :goodjob:

hondaxpurt
10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
i actually had that problem recently and it seemed the screw on the negative wire on my ignition coil was vibrating out and was not making contact. the enigine would turn over but would not crank. i know you said you checked the dizzy but just trying to help. just my $0.02

blaknoize
10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
i actually had that problem recently and it seemed the screw on the negative wire on my ignition coil was vibrating out and was not making contact. the enigine would turn over but would not crank. i know you said you checked the dizzy but just trying to help. just my $0.02

Thanks for ur .02 cent, after interest it should be $1.00. But i just decided to order another one. A remanufactured one, but another one afterall. TO my knowledge there were no sparks when we turned the motor and looked. But there WAS alot of cardon built up on the cap and the tip of the rotor was fried.

Only other issue I need to figure out is... y am I running so lean on fuel. My spark plugs are always scorced. UGH, and the mysterious bogging problem I have after highspeed driving. Other than that, so long as the car runs, I'm fine.

GOTTA GET BACK TO GA.

fade2blk500
10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
sounds like the dizzy to me. that'd be my first try.

blaknoize
10-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Cars running again. Thanks guys.

blaknoize
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Ok...

Its running again thanks guys for all of ur help. :goodjob:

Who said IA tuners dont know how to help one another. Thanks once again.
I'd give u all props if I knew how to, but I dont, so just assume u got good remarks.

fade2blk500
10-23-2007, 06:16 PM
what was wrong with it ??

JDM onlyy
10-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Ok...

Its running again thanks guys for all of ur help. :goodjob:

Who said IA tuners dont know how to help one another. Thanks once again.
I'd give u all props if I knew how to, but I dont, so just assume u got good remarks.

So what was wrong with it? Dizzy?

blaknoize
10-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Ignitor within the dizzy. I just bought the whole damn thing, so I didnt actually know. But the Ignitor was burnt up, as well as the rotor and inside of the cap. I also figured out that my timing was off quite a bit. (enough to burn the plugs anyway) Now the next thing I need... is to find a vacuum leak. Car misses justa lil at high speed. So... the search is on.

blaknoize
10-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Now... since everyone in this post gotta free rep point, yall can give me at least one.

Mad Mike
10-26-2007, 08:28 PM
with the vacuum leak a easy way to find it is to spray carb cleaner on every joint and vacuum line with the car idling. If the idle drops theirs your leak.

hondaxpurt
10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
i feel your pain, man. my dizzy went out last week. either my coil or my ignitor, i wasnt sure since i just replaced the whole dizzy.