PDA

View Full Version : 2 front ball joints

SleeperWRX
10-19-2007, 05:54 AM
I need my 2 front ball joints replaced and my axle popped out now I can't losen the NUT the spindel nit at all, I try it with 6gallon compressor broke a ratchet and **** still won't come off any adivice tips would be helpful :goodjob:

RBS
10-19-2007, 10:41 AM
you tried a ratchet type impact? try an impact GUN

drmcivicsi
10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
where is the car out ? and am guessing it poped out of the tranny? u going to need a impact gun

silversol
10-19-2007, 11:16 AM
and a bigger compressor that a 6 gallon!

SleeperWRX
10-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Can anyone of yall take this off, with your tools I am willing to pay for the ball joints to be replaced

Barefoot
10-22-2007, 01:24 AM
try a IR2135ti impact gun if that dont get it g/l worst comes to worst cut the *****.

TheProfiteer
10-22-2007, 07:05 AM
is the nut twisting? Or is it stuck?

If you damaged the threads on the balljoint stud, then you might be in for a slight headache.

JDM onlyy
10-22-2007, 03:07 PM
is the nut twisting? Or is it stuck?

If you damaged the threads on the balljoint stud, then you might be in for a slight headache.

Ball joint threads are fine, but the joint popped out. Like when your bearings pop out in an axle and get it back in. I don't know how to get the axle out. Tried using an impact gun with a 6 gallon compressor and set the PSI all the way up.

TheProfiteer
10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
your gonna need a new ball joint. Easiest way to fix this.

fade2blk500
10-22-2007, 08:57 PM
So your ball joint is so worn that it popped out and everything is kind of dangling?? What are you trying to break loose?? the axles or the ball joint?

SleeperWRX
10-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Ball joint threads are fine, but the joint popped out. Like when your bearings pop out in an axle and get it back in. I don't know how to get the axle out. Tried using an impact gun with a 6 gallon compressor and set the PSI all the way up.

I took the axle nut out and took the whole hub out, There was a little lock on the nut that I pushed with a screwdriver and after then I took off the hub, The axle popped out about an inch away from fender. I have to get the axle back in and the ball joint should sit right.

jdm_91crx
10-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Are you trying to take the whole steering knuckle off and the axle ??? If you want to do both you need a bigger compressor (for axlenut) and a ball joint tool separator. First off:

1. loosen the lugs and take the wheel off

2. take all the cotter pins off the ball joints, and tie rod joint. (don't lose the cotter pins or you'll end up buying new one, or use paper clip/wire)

3. release the small lock on the axle nut with a flat head screw driver, and use impact gun with the correct axle socket to take off the nut.

4. loosen all the nuts on the ball joints, and tie rod. (there should be 3 nuts: the one on top of the knuckle, bottom knuckle under brake disc, and the tie rod) NOTICE I DID NOT SAY TAKE OFF ALL THE NUTs YET, ONLY LOOSEN THEM.

(Now for this step you'll need a trusty friend or ask your dad/ or brother to assist you.)

5. Take the nut off the tie rod joint, and using the ball joint separator tool pop off the tie rod. Shouldn't take you no more than a minute.(you can get this tool at AutoZone for under $20 to rent or keep)

6. Next do the same for the bottom ball joint under the brake disc.

7. Then do the ball joint on the top and ask you friend/dad/brother to hold the steering knuckle as it pops off.

8. Now that everything is off the knuckle, leaving you the axle still in place of the hub/knuckle.

9. Use a hammer to hit the axle off as your assistant is holding and pulling the knuckle. (Dont hit on the side of the axle, you'll dent the threads, hit it on the flat surface straight out.) The knuckle should just slide off.

10. Now you are left with the axle in place with the transmission. Use rope to hang the axle or if you plan on poppin out the axle, use a pry bar or large flat head screw driver. Stick it in between the the axle and transmission and use your strength to pry out. Sometimes it will take a good amount of force.

11. On the other hand, now you got the steering knuckle out, and do what you gotta do with it.

To stick the axle back in the transmission, just place it back in and play around till it fits snug half way. It will not go in completely, so use a RUBBER MALLET (NOT a hammer) and tap the axle back into place.

I hope this helps. iIf not then, I guess you might need to seek a mechanic...good luck man.

Barefoot
10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
So your ball joint is so worn that it popped out and everything is kind of dangling?? What are you trying to break loose?? the axles or the ball joint?
your gay criag lol

fade2blk500
10-25-2007, 06:48 PM
your gay criag lol

But not nearly as gay as you daron.. It's craig btw ;) 750 for the hatch, and maybe some itr cams??