PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with Honda v6s?

Matt300ZXT
10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a 97 v6 Accord and when I get home from work today I shut it off, and hear kind of a crackling/popping noise and smell a little something. So I pop the hood and see a little bit of smoke but nothing else, until I see the reflection of a small flame on the passenger side of the firewall. Back on the rear bottom part of the engine, something's dripping on what I assume to be the hot exhaust pipe and causing a small flame. W/o being able to jack the car up yet to see what it is, I assume it's an oil leak, because I would think a fuel leak would have caused a lot bigger flame. Are there any common gasket fail points back in that area that'll give me something to look for before I get the front end up on jack stands?

Tech5
10-18-2007, 11:36 AM
MAKE MODEL YEAR PLEASE

Matt300ZXT
10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Um, do you not see the "I have a 97 v6 Accord " that starts out my post? lol

I went back out and started it back up with some paper under the car to see if oil was dripping, and it ran about 5 minutes before very light smoke started to come out with a light burning smell, but nothing ever dripped down. I shut it off and it crackeled a few times and that was it, no flame this time.

Tech5
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
No I didnt see that or I wouldnt asked, Sounds like you might have some kind of plastic you ran over an its stuck on your exhaust , ill check that but to the answer to your question no there is no types of major problems with these cars, if you have any more details lmk an Ill try an help you

Matt300ZXT
10-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I checked up under the car and I see what looks like oil on the curvy downpipe that runs before the flex section. However I poked it with something and I didn't see any come off onto the stick. And now that I think about it, if it was oil on there, it should have burned off when the fire was going, or at least when it got hot the 2nd time I started it up. I'm just speculating right now, but hopefully my friend can't get back with me. He's a mechanic on the side and actually has a garage and lift and tools at his house.

Tech5
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Hope for the best, need anything LMK,

jbhondatech
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
The V6 in the 97 accord was the same V6 found in the 1st gen legends the heads have a valve cover and side cover gaskets this is more than likely leaking.

Matt300ZXT
10-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Oh ok, I was wondering what those black plastic things were on the side of the head. Hopefully my friend gets back with me later and I can get this fixed asap.

Matt300ZXT
10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Looks like it might be coming from the side cover gaskets right by one of the bolts. What's behind there, and can the rear one be changed with the engine in the car still?

Jigoku Z
10-18-2007, 06:15 PM
How many miles is your car? Both cam seals, crank seal, oil pan gasket, side covers all tend to leak. The side covers cover the rockers.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
10-18-2007, 09:23 PM
I might be wrong, but I don't think a drip of oil would cause a flame...

Z0_o6
10-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I might be wrong, but I don't think a drip of oil would cause a flame...

as a matter of fact, you are wrong. oil is ignited when there is sufficient heat. such as an exhaust manifold/pipe.

iNsTuN nOoDoH
10-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Ohhhh aite. Weird, cuz I see folks drippin oil on the downpipes or flexpipes of these accords all the time...