PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Importing a car... need some help

KERR
10-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Im in the market for a car that made in Garz austria, but it sold all over the world, even in the usa. But the motor option and trans options i want is not avaliable in the to the U.S. market.

So where / how should i start looking for a company that can import this for me. I dont think it will be to much trouble as there are already some in the USA.

I just dont know how to go about this. Any help info or links would be grate. Also i dont care to buy new or used if that will help in the process of papaer work.

Thanks
shawn.

Benefit
10-16-2007, 07:12 PM
what car?

Frög
10-16-2007, 07:22 PM
im not sure how it works for the U.S. but i think its about the same.. i remember a friend was trying to import a car from France, and they would let him.. he even tried to import it to Canada, and then bring it here but i forgot why he couldn't..

you have to change a **** load of parts to legalize the car. well i think you, back in the day, my dad owned a audi V8, it was brand new, we had to move to france, so he brought it over there with us.. when you move, you pay alot less importing tax.. but if you import a vehicle that is less than 25 years old you pay a higher tax. there, his headlights and other parts were DOT approved, not approved to European standards, so he had to swap headlights, and a whole bunch of other parts.. wasnt cheap..

have you looked into buying that car here and swapping the engine?

JDMJAYDC2
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
if your just trying to get the motor and tranny shouldnt be a prob but if its a car then that might be a bit more difficult i would pm mr kidd as im sure he knows alot about it or sayjinn i hope im not spelling his sn wrong do a search for that name or something close to it ask him he def knows the deal on importing a car

Complication
10-16-2007, 08:43 PM
that wouldn't be the Chrysler 300C your looking for would it?

The Ren
10-16-2007, 08:44 PM
kerr... you sold the supra?

AnthonyF
10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
that wouldn't be the Chrysler 300C your looking for would it?

WHAT? stfu. it was made in Austria dumbass

there are a few loop holes, but i think they are difficult. i kno one idea, where if you know some1 that owns the car, disassemble it into 3 large pieces, motor/trans, shell, etc... and ship it over. assemble it and register as a kit car. You wont have to change as many items over.

Echonova
10-16-2007, 09:46 PM

there are a few loop holes, but i think they are difficult. i kno one idea, where if you know some1 that owns the car, disassemble it into 3 large pieces, motor/trans, shell, etc... and ship it over. assemble it and register as a kit car. You wont have to change as many items over.Tr00f!!!

Whiteboy™
10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
import it as a parts car

Complication
10-16-2007, 11:16 PM

there are a few loop holes, but i think they are difficult. i kno one idea, where if you know some1 that owns the car, disassemble it into 3 large pieces, motor/trans, shell, etc... and ship it over. assemble it and register as a kit car. You wont have to change as many items over.

um... I've not been around here for long, but, I'd check again before you go calling me a dumba**... if there is a Garz, Austria.. then I guess I'm wrong but...the correct place would be Graz, Austria... THEY PRODUCED 300C's there at one point... I believe they will be produced there untill around 2010

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?ID=72824

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52314

good luck with life dude....
"E-thug" somewhere else Charlie Brown

Comp.

KERR
10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
kerr... you sold the supra?

No i still have my junk :yes:

The car is diesel powered G class benz. I have the gas one now i got back in 02. Mercedes Makes them and has from day one but they ship to other countries. In the U.S. we can only get the GL ( huge *****) ML, and E class in a diesel. Its the same power plant in those cars and in the Grand cherokee. Like i said nothing exciting. 3.0 ltr turbo with a 7 speed auto. 200 hp and 400 lbtq.

Europia in new mexico use to he the only importer of the G class until 2002 when mercedes started to bring them over. The G class has been in production from 1978. we just didnt get them here. I keep checking e bay and there is a some 70's and 80" model's diesels but they have the old old old school 300D motors that rattle worse than a cummins and smoke like crazy..

Bottom line is i just want a 07-08 G320CDI lol... there all over the place just not here.

Nismo
10-17-2007, 02:30 PM
um... I've not been around here for long, but, I'd check again before you go calling me a dumba**... if there is a Garz, Austria.. then I guess I'm wrong but...the correct place would be Graz, Austria... THEY PRODUCED 300C's there at one point... I believe they will be produced there untill around 2010

http://www.just-auto.com/article.aspx?ID=72824

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52314

good luck with life dude....
"E-thug" somewhere else Charlie Brown

Comp.

Um I think someone just pwnd someone else!

Whiteboy™
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
pwntastic