PDA

View Full Version : Is Matco Tools reliable?

Flyingdragon
10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Well here another dumb thread made by me about asking people for tools information. Well I had different vendors come in today trying to sell there tools to students. Well one of the vendors happen to be a Matco vendor and for some reason, his tools are really really really cheap compare to other brand names like Mac, Snap-on, and Proto. The Matco 16 pc combo rachet wrench set 8-24mm cost $115.80. While the other vendor like the Max 19 pc combo (non-rachet) wrench set 6-24mm cost.......$345.54. Just wanted to know everybody opinion on Matco tool. If ne1 got a horrible incident with Matco tool, share some of it to me :yes:

Blitanicle99
10-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Never had a problem with Matco personally. And you suck for getting those kinds of deals.
I like Crap On tools (no pun intended) and Blue Point. Craftsman are great and all but talk to real mechanics and they just dont hold up like the Snap ons or Blue Point.

FAHHQUE700
10-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I use Matco tools, but I've only had one Matco tool go bad, and it was a stud puller, and I've had it replaced 2 times now... but it's worth it... nobody else makes one as fast and as versitile.

EmminoDaGreat
10-15-2007, 07:47 PM
student discount rox. as long as u use it.

Bishop
10-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Since you are in school, you get a discount through matco. They give some crazy discounts on some stuff. I bought a 3in buffer, ratchet wrenches and some other stuff. Alot of their stuff isn't made by them. The buffer is a silver eagle, and the wrenches are gear wrench if i remember correctly. I did buy a 3 bay tool box from them and got 60% off. They make good tool boxes. Not as good as snap on, but the pirce is way better. I have been happy with my gear wrenches from matco. I only use them at home, not at work, so they dont get used often.

punkr6
10-15-2007, 07:52 PM
matco is the lower end of the top three being 1-snap-on, 2-mac, 3-matco I personaly perfer MAC for several reasons,1- snap-on is just way overpriced and their wrenches have thin handles that hurt your hands, 2-matco sells a lot of the same tools as mac but most of their own stuff is junk,and their prices are right at MAC prices.I don't know how many tools youv'e priced but matco and Mac are really close and the Mac's are better for the most part.
p.s. stay away from matco's silver eagle brand(pure garbage)

Flyingdragon
10-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Yea, I was thinking about getting matco too. Snap-on probably got some better quaility tools but Im pretty broke right now. I think I will just stick to Matco tools. Thanks for all the suggestion

punkr6
10-15-2007, 07:57 PM
if your broke, just get craftsman bro. their guaranteed and a third of the tool trucks price....................

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 08:02 PM
i have some craftsman stuff that held quite a long while. Havent used it in like a year tho. Macto are ok, i bought their top of the line wrench set and my 12mm open end broke. I havent broke a snap on wrench yet. as for the snap on rachets, i've broken 2 of them already. thats thru alot of use and abuse. Lifetime FTW! and also, he lives right down the street from me.

Flyingdragon
10-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Ehh iono, for some reason I hate craftsman. I hate there name, there looks, there smell, there touch, taste...etc. I just hate them for some reason reason lol

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 08:07 PM
craftsman arent all that bad. it saved my ass a couple of times! i have it for my backup tools.

3kgtdrvr
10-15-2007, 09:45 PM
honestly its bc snap on is overpriced. theyre tools are good but unless ur ballin' its not worth it to buy all their stuff. granted some things u will want to buy snap on bc of the quality but i stand firmly behind matco for most everything. craftsman is great back up stuff though, but dont waste ur money on the craftsman professional stuff bc its just overpriced sears stuff in my opinion lol if u want craftsman buy sears craftsman. if u are serious about being a mechanic though i would definately invest in quality tools, but dont always fall for what the tool guy says, shop around a bit. sometimes ull want to buy really good stuff and some stuff u can skimp on a bit. if u are already at a shop then ask other techs about tools or ask ur teacher

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 09:54 PM
the tools i like/use are matco. dontget me wrong i have span on and mac. but i like matco most. i have a matco box and never had a problem. no matter what kind of tool it is u are going to breck it. i have broken span on matco and mac tools all the time. i just shop around for the best price then i get it. matco gots the best prices to me

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 09:58 PM
let me see your box John. heard you had a $20K BOX only :goodjob:

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
let me see your box John. heard you had a $20K BOX only :goodjob:

lol more like 22k=) ill take pics tomorrow btw thats without tools lol and am looking to sell my box at home for a bigger box i need more space

Double_0_Rusty
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Personally I like my Matco tools. Haven't had anything go bad, yet. I also use Snap-on, Mac, and Blue Point. As I said before, I work at a Chevy dealer so my tools are my life line. I have around 12k in tools, and boxes. Mostly inhereited, but I still owe the Snap-on and Matco vendors hella amounts of money.

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
lol more like 22k=) ill take pics tomorrow btw thats without tools lol and am looking to sell my box at home for a bigger box i need more space
Baller! my snap on box is like a baby compared to yours and a 1/3 of the cost.

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Baller! my snap on box is like a baby compared to yours and a 1/3 of the cost.

lol u got a nice ****ing box. u dont even do this daily and u got a nicer box then some techs i know. my box that is at my house now is the box i had at the shop but my cuz was getting a new box and he was going to sell it. i got it from him before he sold it. =)

i just got a matching roll kart tho its hott lol to keep in the trailer lol

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Personally I like my Matco tools. Haven't had anything go bad, yet. I also use Snap-on, Mac, and Blue Point. As I said before, I work at a Chevy dealer so my tools are my life line. I have around 12k in tools, and boxes. Mostly inhereited, but I still owe the Snap-on and Matco vendors hella amounts of money.

dont we all owe them money. i have mac and span on payed off its just matco now =(

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
mines all paid off. :D

$2k more to go.

Double_0_Rusty
10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
dont we all owe them money. i have mac and span on payed off its just matco now =(

I hear ya. I almost, almost had them paid off, and then I went on a tool splurge. Bought a new impact, creeper, and a bunch of other chet I don't need. But oh well. I am trying to fill up my 3rd box, almost there.:D

Kalifornia087
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I have Matco's Allen head sockets (****ing working on BMWs gotta have em lol.), and Ratcheting wrenches (gearwrench), and a good set of extensions, and personally they rock the house, and were pretty well priced.

The res of my tools are Blue point and Snap on, which of course i will always say are awesome tools. But i'll stand by matco as well. SK is also good stuff for the right prices.

Austin

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
mines all paid off. :D

$2k more to go.

lol i made a payment today only 1400 more to go YAYAYAYAY after that **** tools

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I hear ya. I almost, almost had them paid off, and then I went on a tool splurge. Bought a new impact, creeper, and a bunch of other chet I don't need. But oh well. I am trying to fill up my 3rd box, almost there.:D

man have yall seen the new matco ratchets holy **** there new. i got all 6 of them today lol span on came out with there 82 teeth 3/8 ratchet that is nice to

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 10:32 PM
i think i broke more matco than snap on. A matco high end 14mm wrench and a matco 1/4 extension. with snap on, i break more ratchets.

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 10:35 PM
oh its on voung am taking pics tomorrow of my drawer of broken span on lol j/p =) am going to start a thread tomorrow post your box so everyone get pics =)
and voung if u want i take take your broken matco stuff to my matco guy if u dont know one

like i said tools are going to breck no matter what kind they are it just takes time lol

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
oh its on voung am taking pics tomorrow of my drawer of broken span on lol j/p =) am going to start a thread tomorrow post your box so everyone get pics =)
and voung if u want i take take your broken matco stuff to my matco guy if u dont know one

like i said tools are going to breck no matter what kind they are it just takes time lol
cool. i dont know of any matco dealer. I will give it to you when i see you. my snap on dealer lives literally down the street from me. i always to to his house to get what i need. i also notice you saying span on. lol hater!

Turbodude06
10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Almost all my tools are matco cause my moms a vender:D , Snap on not bad either just usually more expensive buts those are the only two I'd buy from cause I know Mac isn't doing to well and if they go under then who's going to warrenty your old tools, Tools break no matter who makes them, but Matco makes tools that are made to be used day after day not like brands u see at somewere like Sears or something, and Between Matco, Snap-on, and Mac most of their tools come from the same places:goodjob:

Turbodude06
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Sk is good too expectially for their price I have the socket set and haven't ever had a problem....

Double_0_Rusty
10-15-2007, 10:47 PM
i refuse to take pics of my boxes.

I'll see what I can do.

3kgtdrvr
10-15-2007, 10:50 PM
im all payed off :goodjob:

3kgtdrvr
10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
im all payed off :goodjob:

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 10:57 PM
drmcivicsi's box is 12 times my size. what a baller he is.

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:03 PM
drmcivicsi's box is 12 times my size. what a baller he is.

LOL :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

voung post the real one u ass

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
LOL :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

voung post the real one u ass
OK OK OK. here it is:

Flyingdragon
10-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Holycrap, I didnt not no tool box could go up to 22k. My jaw drop when I first saw the toolbox for one of the vendor which was like 1k....

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
OK OK OK. here it is:

lol holy **** that was funny as hell am going to show my span on guy tomorrow lol

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Holycrap, I didnt not no tool box could go up to 22k. My jaw drop when I first saw the toolbox for one of the vendor which was like 1k....

1k lol thats the 6 wheels on my box lol

speedminded
10-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Check out eBay for insane deals....seen some a $10+ boxe filled with $10k+ in tools go for $6,000 before.

Estate auctions are another place but with both you gotta have the cash though :-/

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Check out eBay for insane deals....seen some a $10+ boxe filled with $10k+ in tools go for $6,000 before.

Estate auctions are another place but with both you gotta have the cash though :-/

yeah thats the nice thing about having tabs on the tool truck

Jigoku Z
10-15-2007, 11:15 PM
From my experience with tools both Matco and Snap on have their goods and bads. Matco makes better 1/4 in ratchets since it has finer teeth, works really well in tight places. Snap on ratchets are stronger has less teeth but needs a lot more room for it to click. Snap on makes better sockets IMO. You can't beat that flank drive. There are many times where I have to use a Snap on socket to remove a bolt that matco rounded off. One thing you need to keep in mind is that Snap on and Matco will always be around. If your Snap on man quit today someone will replace him tomorrow.

If you're just starting out.. I would recommend start off with Craftsman and then slowly upgrade your tools to matco and snap on. Then you just take your craftsman tools home for your home project or whatever. Also if you just stay on ebay you can buy Snap on for as much as Craftsman from Sears. You can buy broken Snap on tools from ebay and trade it in for a new one.

How in the world some of you spend $20+K on just the box alone.. that's just crazy... I only spent around $9k for mine...

speedminded
10-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Check out eBay for crazy deals....seen a mint condition $12k box filled with literally $12k+ in tools go for $6,000 before.

Estate auctions are another place but with both you still gotta have the cash though :-/

koukis14
10-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Only wrench I have ever bent was Matco. I will never own a Matco tool. If you are going pro with being a tech go with Snap on.

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:17 PM
speedminded has a snap on box too!

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:18 PM
my box.

koukis14
10-15-2007, 11:18 PM
speedminded has a snap on box too!

So do I! I think I put atleast 1 of my Snap On dealers kids through college.

speedminded
10-15-2007, 11:22 PM
speedminded has a snap on box too!That's the roll cart...I got a 25+ year old craftman box I stripped down (back when they made out STEEL, not sheet metal), sprayed 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder silver (with blue pearl) w/ dark grey drawers, then insulated the lid with rubber weather stripping so it's silent no matter how hard you slam it shut :tongue:

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
That's the the roll cart...I got a 25 year old craftman box I stripped down, sprayed 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder silver (with blue pearl) w/ dark grey drawers, then insulated the lid with weather stripping so it's silent closing no matter how hard you slam it closed :tongue:
you sure you didnt paint it phoenix yellow? :lmfao:

speedminded
10-15-2007, 11:25 PM
you sure you didnt paint it phoenix yellow? :lmfao:lol nah, but i would sooo do a big box in championship white!! :D My next setup is going to be all stainless steel though.

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:35 PM
How in the world some of you spend $20+K on just the box alone.. that's just crazy... I only spent around $9k for mine...

easy my bottom box is 12,500k its the 4 bay and side locker was 4k and the hutch was i think 3k. then u had to add all the other ****ing **** like SS top,light, the extra drawer i got in the locker and top locking drawer, 6 power plugs, the glove box to put gloves in etc etc it all adds up really fast

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
easy my bottom box is 12,500k its the 4 bay and side locker was 4k and the hutch was i think 3k. then u had to add all the other ****ing **** like SS top,light, the extra drawer i got in the locker and top locking drawer, 6 power plugs, the glove box to put gloves in etc etc it all adds up really fast
BALLER! one day, i want to be up there like you!

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:41 PM
BALLER! one day, i want to be up there like you!

lol baller my ass. all my money goes to tools cuz i look at it like once i get them all i wont need anymore. but everyday they come out with something and it sucks cuz i want it then lol and if i stop at the shop **** ill have a really ****ing nice box at home lol am taking pics in the moring for u can jack off lol ;)

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:44 PM
lol baller my ass. all my money goes to tools cuz i look at it like once i get them all i wont need anymore. but everyday they come out with something and it sucks cuz i want it then lol and if i stop at the shop **** ill have a really ****ing nice box at home lol am taking pics in the moring for u can jack off lol ;)
lol. i dont work on cars everyday. i only do this part time on my time only. let me see it

Jigoku Z
10-15-2007, 11:45 PM

Damn 4 bay no wonder... you don't happen to have the tool box riding on 6 in tires towed behind a truck do ya?

Here's mine... nothing special base model... running out of room already... Should have gotten the 3 bay one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/DrifterKei/0612071756.jpg

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:46 PM
lol. i dont work on cars everyday. i only do this part time on my time only. let me see it
check in the moring ill have pics up and u better have pics of your real box lol

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:48 PM
here is mines. KRL1022 masters series. it opens out really long. the chrome part is dirty from my hands all over it. waiting till next year to get a matching red and chrome locker and a hutch

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Damn 4 bay no wonder... you don't happen to have the tool box riding on 6 in tires towed behind a truck do ya?

Here's mine... nothing special base model... running out of room already... Should have gotten the 3 bay one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/DrifterKei/0612071756.jpg

badass ****ing box u got there. i love the yellow. my box at home is yellow its the ghost rider 3 bay one that they only mad 250 of them. payed alot for that damn box.

and my box at the shop is sliver and blue and yeah it has 6 -6in wheels and naw it wasnt being towed atleast i hope not lol
am selling my ghost rider box and that thing packed with tools and selling everything so if anyone wants something lmk ill have pics up in the moring

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:51 PM
here is mines. KRL1022 masters series. the chrome part is dirty from my hands all over it. waiting till next year to get a matching red and chrome locker and a hutch

LOL at the walmart air gun lol

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:53 PM
LOL at the walmart air gun lol
things like that, I'll sport a cheap one all day long. its actually a home depot one. lol

speedminded
10-15-2007, 11:57 PM
things like that, I'll sport a cheap one all day long. its actually a home depot one. lolyeah really, it's a valve and a tube...has the technology of a garden hose nozzle...does it really need to be $60 and say snap-on? :tongue:

Vuongy_Dong
10-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Im hoping to have my box look like the one on the left some times next year. same box, but with all the add ons.

speedminded
10-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm sorry, all this snap-off, matco, mac, etc. is all CHILDS PLAY for the red wagon and bicycles in the yard :tongue: you wanna see a real box and i'm not talking about the red head from last night either.

Beta Tool:
http://www.procarestores.com/
http://www.beta-tools.com/it/home.do

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:59 PM
yeah really, it's a valve and a tube...has the technology of a garden hose nozzle...does it really need to be $60 and say snap-on? :tongue:

hey there 30 bucks =) and its nice to have them match

drmcivicsi
10-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Im hoping to have my box look like the one on the left some times next year. same box, but with all the add ons.

now thats a baller box lol

Vuongy_Dong
10-16-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm sorry, all this snap-off, matco, mac, etc. is all CHILDS PLAY for the red wagon and bicycles in the yard :tongue: you wanna see a real box and i'm not talking about the red head from last night either.

Beta Tool:
http://www.procarestores.com/
http://www.beta-tools.com/it/home.do
you can have them, use them, beat them. its all yours homey. :goodjob:

speedminded
10-16-2007, 12:07 AM
you can have them, use them, beat them. its all yours homey. :goodjob:Aw com'n, i'm sure it would cost over 50k to duplicate everything you have with Beta hahaha, ugh. Only if I worked on Ferrari's and was bought for me :tongue:

speedminded
10-16-2007, 12:14 AM
http://www.procarestores.com/product/general_catalog/images/beta/full/c54vg_vo.jpg

http://www.procarestores.com/product/general_catalog/images/beta/full/c28n_g.jpg

or how about the Scuderia Ferrari line:
http://www.procarestores.com/product/general_catalog/images/beta/full/c54_sf.jpg

http://www.procarestores.com/product/general_catalog/images/beta/full/c57_sf.jpg

Vuongy_Dong
10-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Aw com'n, i'm sure it would cost over 50k to duplicate everything you have with Beta hahaha, ugh. Only if I worked on Ferrari's and was bought for me :tongue:
i look at my tools as an investment. I dont work on cars full time. I am the logistics manager at my comany im working for. been there for 8 years. i just went tool happy since last august. i look at it as if anything were to happen, i'll have something else to fall back on if i ever need a job one day. :goodjob:

speedminded
10-16-2007, 12:25 AM
i look at my tools as an investment. I dont work on cars full time. I am the logistics manager at my comany im working for. been there for 8 years. i just went tool happy since last august. i look at it as if anything were to happen, i'll have something else to fall back on if i ever need a job one day. :goodjob:Exactly, just the same as large commercial businesses should not have just one client...need that variety and ability to fall back on something else.

speedminded
10-16-2007, 01:01 AM
$15k on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-ON-TOOL-BOX_W0QQitemZ320170772824QQihZ011QQcategoryZ35001Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

even includes tools!
http://i11.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/bb/8c/6e5c_1.JPG

ryanh300
10-16-2007, 02:09 AM
$15k on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SNAP-ON-TOOL-BOX_W0QQitemZ320170772824QQihZ011QQcategoryZ35001Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

even includes tools!
http://i11.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/bb/8c/6e5c_1.JPG

Not a bad deal at all...I see some quality **** in that grab bag lol

Jordanmd88
10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Off Beta tools are crap !!!!!! Way too exspensive I bought on of thier 3/8's ratches and the damn thing broke... I was using a pipe on it for a breaker bar but it was only a 12" pipe. I could have exerted just as much force on my own if i really wanted too.... All to break a caliper loose... Took it to the Beta salesman... :( no replacement.. on snaped shaft...
bull crap

I stick with Matco and Mac..

Matco has the best wratches and sockets... and mac has the best specialty tools.....

Here is my @ home tool set up :)
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/JOrdanmd88/Garage/DSCF1372.jpghttp://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/JOrdanmd88/Garage/DSCF1367.jpg

Both are full of only Mac and Matco tools.. there maybe a few craftsman wrenches in there :(

LOL and this Is the only thing i can stand to own from Snap on because it's the ****..
Have one in 3/8ths and 1/2"
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/JOrdanmd88/BMW%20SUMMER%202007/DSCF1444.jpg

Tech5
10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Well mine is no where near paid off, an if you stay in this field as I have you will buy new ****t all the time, every week or other I buy something new, But I hate Matco due the matco man I had sucked, now I have had Snap on for many years never had a problem, my 0.02 cents, my other thing is dont never buy off matco,Mac,an snap on at one time you be paying way to much a week , Joshua

Jordanmd88
10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Well mine is no where near paid off, an if you stay in this field as I have you will buy new ****t all the time, every week or other I buy something new, But I hate Matco due the matco man I had sucked, now I have had Snap on for many years never had a problem, my 0.02 cents, my other thing is dont never buy off matco,Mac,an snap on at one time you be paying way to much a week , Joshua

lol ya your so right on the dont buy off all 3 lol

40 bucks + 3 trucks = 120 a week. =480 a month...

Tech5
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
^^^^^ I learn from my own mistakes , an can share with everyone

Vuongy_Dong
10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
neat little set up you have at home.

Barefoot
10-16-2007, 10:07 PM
personally ive ran with the same snap on man for 3 years now never not once had a problem with him or his products thats was traded out. ive broke tools from craftsman mac matco snap on **** happens. an tool can be broken no matter who makes it. ive just had better luck with my snap on guy showing up on time to replace or fix them. my old matco guy just stopped showing up 1 day. so **** him. i have over 20k in just tools doesnt include boxes or carts **** like that and 90% is snap on.

Vuongy_Dong
10-16-2007, 10:11 PM
start a thread and everyone show what they working with!

Double_0_Rusty
10-16-2007, 10:27 PM
One of my boxes.....this one had alot of crap in it. Cleaned up a tad. So I am trying to fill her up.

Z U L8R
10-19-2007, 07:47 PM
i'm almost home free. i don't even go on the truck anymore cause i know i'll buy some **** lol. everyone's paid off except snapon.....next april he'll be too >_<

Z U L8R
10-19-2007, 07:50 PM
i'm almost home free. i don't even go on the truck anymore cause i know i'll buy some **** lol. everyone's paid off except snapon.....next april he'll be too >_<

damn cordless makita's....... and the cordless snap on 1/2 was $500, then i was like ahhhhh the tech wrench of fury......i was like @@!!!! must......not....spend......"i'll take em all" they always get me with that "sure, try it out for a week, if you don't like it i'll take it back, if you keep it i'll just put it on your bill, np" ahhhhhhhh! >_<

Double_0_Rusty
10-19-2007, 07:53 PM
^^^ I KNOW THE FEELING.

green91
10-19-2007, 08:04 PM
matco is very reliable, but you can save money by shopping around, matco doesnt make their own tools so often you can find the same tools for less.