PDA

View Full Version : Do technician use 20-27mm often?

Flyingdragon
10-15-2007, 03:05 PM
I was planning on buying a combination wrench set. I was debating whether to buy the one that goes up to 19mm or the other one that goes to 27mm. I was wondering how often do technician use the 20-27mm wrench. Is it worth buying that set? any suggestion will be helpful, thanks.:yes:

JDM onlyy
10-15-2007, 03:17 PM
I was planning on buying a combination wrench set. I was debating whether to buy the one that goes up to 19mm or the other one that goes to 27mm. I was wondering how often do technician use the 20-27mm wrench. Is it worth buying that set? any suggestion will be helpful, thanks.:yes:

Don't really use it much except for things like fuel filter and oxygen sensor but they have their own special tools too. If you're gonna start stocking up on tools I say spend the extra bit of cash just to have just in case, cause I HATE running out to Advanced or Autozone to get ONE tool that I need to finish working on a car...

RiceBoy
10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
No. don't waste your money.

blackshine007
10-15-2007, 03:33 PM
No. don't waste your money.
It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. Telling by your post, you don't work on cars. Click this link please! (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&u=1356)

madking411
10-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Well, I used a 21mm to take my struts out....and to take the lugs off my wheels so....

I'd say go for it.

Oh, and if you dont have one already, go get a GOOD breaker bar too if you dont have access to an impact wrench too.

GAtegs
10-15-2007, 03:58 PM
What kinda of cars are you planning on working on?

Andy_013
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Japaneses cars use 8,10,12,14,17 mm bolts alot

Pavlo
10-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Buy a set of nice wrenches up to 19, and cheaper bigger sizes.
Honestly though, I forgot the last time I used a wrench past 19mm.

speedminded
10-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Well, I used a 21mm to take my struts out....and to take the lugs off my wheels so....

I'd say go for it.

Oh, and if you dont have one already, go get a GOOD breaker bar too if you dont have access to an impact wrench too.You used a combo wrench on your lug nuts? That would get old reaaallllyyy fast, not to mention only works if you have steelies. Try a socket next time ;)

The only time I use a combination wrench larger than 20mm is for its box end as leverage for a smaller wrench ;)

I would get ratcheting box end/combo wrenches in metric up to 19mm & standard up to 3/4" then 6 AND 12 point sockets up to 19mm+ and a 32mm & 36mm for Honda axle nuts. It's up to you what size standard sockets you want/need. I'd suggest having the sockets in both 3/8" and 1/2" drive too then you'll want some impact sockets as well. While you're at it might as well have a handful of bolt extractor sockets handy because there will be a time you will need them...the list goes on and on.

Flyingdragon
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Thank guyz for all the suggestion. Well after reading all this and talking to my teacher, I decided to buy the 7-19mm set. I just drive a integra around but I need the tools because I workin on becoming a technician. I guess for my 20mm and up, I can just use the trouble wrench(cresent wrench) and round off a couple of nut :D.

madking411
10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
You used a combo wrench on your lug nuts? That would get old reaaallllyyy fast, not to mention only works if you have steelies. Try a socket next time ;)

The only time I use a combination wrench larger than 20mm is for its box end as leverage for a smaller wrench ;)

I would get ratcheting box end/combo wrenches in metric up to 19mm & standard up to 3/4" then 6 AND 12 point sockets up to 19mm+ and a 32mm & 36mm for Honda axle nuts. It's up to you what size standard sockets you want/need. I'd suggest having the sockets in both 3/8" and 1/2" drive too then you'll want some impact sockets as well. While you're at it might as well have a handful of bolt extractor sockets handy because there will be a time you will need them...the list goes on and on.

OHHHH....haha, i shoulda read...''combination'' wrench......:headslap:
nevermind....I used a 21mm SOCKET, 1/2'' drive, breaker bar....

speedminded
10-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Thank guyz for all the suggestion. Well after reading all this and talking to my teacher, I decided to buy the 7-19mm set. I just drive a integra around but I need the tools because I workin on becoming a technician. I guess for my 20mm and up, I can just use the trouble wrench(cresent wrench) and round off a couple of nut :D.Don't forget about the 32mm for the axle nut...preferably 1" with a decent size breaker bar.

Gutling
10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
i use 20-27 really only on axles. a crank pulley now and then. very rarely have to pop them out

RiceBoy
10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
It's better to have and not need than to need and not have. Telling by your post, you don't work on cars. Click this link please! (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&u=1356)

IF you only know what kind of cars I work on... Try to do a search on my all my posts b4 you make that comment. So shut the hell up! I will still reaffirm my post. NO, 20-27mm aren't used often. So unless you got tons of money to burn, don't waste it.

3kgtdrvr
10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
personally i use them quite a bit, but not nearly as much as ur 8 or 10-19. if ur gonna be a tech ur gonna need them sooner of later but i would focus on a good set of you 8 or 10-19 now since ur gonna use them all day, every day. u can always get the other ones later since most sets stop at 19 and start again at 20 or get a cheap set since u wont use them a lot.

redrumracer
10-15-2007, 11:00 PM

LMAO :lmao: thats just classic +what im worth

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:01 PM
i would go to 27mm if it was u. i use them more then u think

Jigoku Z
10-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Mercedes tend to swap different size every year. I would get all the way up to 27mm. A lot of A/c line uses 21, 22, 24 mm. And a lot of suspension use past 21...

Barefoot
10-16-2007, 10:11 PM
i work for delta an the only time i use mines in that range is when im dealing with hydro steering on some of the tugs and f750 cabin service trucks. nut shell good to have so your not bumming tools but wont use to often.

blackshine007
10-16-2007, 10:50 PM
IF you only know what kind of cars I work on... Try to do a search on my all my posts b4 you make that comment. So shut the hell up! I will still reaffirm my post. NO, 20-27mm aren't used often. So unless you got tons of money to burn, don't waste it.
Well, it's apparent that you are single minded when it comes to working on cars or life in general. Just because you don't need a 20-27mm wrench don't mean that everyone lives in your little playland doing only what you do. So take your :2cents: and keep it out of this thread. I'm not doubting your knowledge, but your idiotic comments should belong somewhere else besides giving someone your half assed advice in these forums.

Vuongy_Dong
10-16-2007, 11:21 PM
I have a set and i dont use it much on hondas. rarely do you use them.

EmminoDaGreat
10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
I use a few of the bigger sizes like 24, 27 every now and then for sensors, 02's, that kinda stuff. but like some said better to have and not need....

Z U L8R
10-19-2007, 07:38 PM
^_^ if you get the 8-19 matco set, the matco guy throws in 20-24 free, however snap-on wrenchs are a tad better than the matco's....but i bought the matco's and haven't had a problem with em, cheaper + bonus wrenches for teh win

green91
10-19-2007, 07:59 PM

I think you'd be better off picking on someone else, riceboy has plenty enough reputation around here.

I use a 22 & 24mm fairly often, probably more than most of my other wrenches.

blackshine007
10-21-2007, 12:30 AM
I think you'd be better off picking on someone else, riceboy has plenty enough reputation around here.

I could care less about how much rep anyone has on these forums. An idiotic post is an idiotic post. We all make them on occasion. It's all about being human. And as far as rep goes, we have about the same amount of rep, I may have more. I just don't keep mine on because I'd rather someone judge me for me, not by how many shiny green bars I have. I wasn't try to diss him, just the answer he gave was an answer based on the work he does, not in general which was the original question. So before you go talking about what I'm better off doing, at least learn to read the entire group of posts between myself and him before you go making silly minded posts such as this you've posted.

Barefoot
10-21-2007, 06:42 AM
^_^ if you get the 8-19 matco set, the matco guy throws in 20-24 free, however snap-on wrenchs are a tad better than the matco's....but i bought the matco's and haven't had a problem with em, cheaper + bonus wrenches for teh win
that just depends on the sales man. i know my old guy wasnt giving **** away free. my snap on man gives **** away all the time as well as the new mac man i got.

green91
10-21-2007, 09:22 AM
I could care less about how much rep anyone has on these forums. An idiotic post is an idiotic post. We all make them on occasion. It's all about being human. And as far as rep goes, we have about the same amount of rep, I may have more. I just don't keep mine on because I'd rather someone judge me for me, not by how many shiny green bars I have. I wasn't try to diss him, just the answer he gave was an answer based on the work he does, not in general which was the original question. So before you go talking about what I'm better off doing, at least learn to read the entire group of posts between myself and him before you go making silly minded posts such as this you've posted.

I'm not talking about the rep count on this board, i was referring to the amount of reputation he has amongst people in real life. If he doesn't use those size wrenches, then that was his opinion, and thats exactly what the guy was asking for, opinions. So before you try to come across as a pompous jackass please realize that everyone is expressing their opinions just like you are.

blackshine007
10-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm not talking about the rep count on this board, i was referring to the amount of reputation he has amongst people in real life. If he doesn't use those size wrenches, then that was his opinion, and thats exactly what the guy was asking for, opinions. So before you try to come across as a pompous jackass please realize that everyone is expressing their opinions just like you are.
Just because you don't know me don't mean I don't have rep in the streets. I give my general advice because I just so happen to be an ASE certified technician, with dealer experience, and nowadays, I just so happen to do emissions repair work. Like I was saying, HE said that it's pointless for what HE does. The original guy posted do any of us use them, which was a general question. The best answer for the original question was ovious, being that he didn't state what particular car or cars in general that he works on, getting advice such as "don't bother wasting your money" would work only in his situation and possibly is the only type of cars that he may work on. I never knocked him on that. Just his answer was more on the lines of the work he does, not on other cars in general. So if being a pompous jackass is needed to answer a simple question, which btw you never still proof read it through, then I'm gonna continue to do that until people like yourself get the point I'm trying to poke ya'll with.

SandM
10-21-2007, 01:28 PM
i tend to use 22mm, 24mm, and 27mm. The 22mm i use the most on O2 sensors, PCV valves, etc... the 24 and 27 i use more for alignments. When I was working at Kauffman, i tended to use those higher sizes regularly.

green91
10-21-2007, 05:43 PM
while i see your point he was merely expressing that he didnt use them. thats no different than you expressing your opinion. and ive got plenty of reputation myself, im ASE master certified as well as toyota expert certified about to become toyota master.

Init2winit
11-04-2007, 07:22 AM
All the ASE means is that you are good at studying for tests. Plain and simple. It doesn't make you any better of a tech. I wouldn't go throwing that info around.....it makes you look like an idiot.

SandM
11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
well, it seems that most places of employment see ase certs as important. toyota is now requiring all of their techs to be ase certified.

and green91 is definately no idiot. ill vouch for that.

EmminoDaGreat
11-04-2007, 10:00 AM
All the ASE means is that you are good at studying for tests. Plain and simple. It doesn't make you any better of a tech. I wouldn't go throwing that info around.....it makes you look like an idiot.

Thats very true, i have seen a lot of people pass the tests and be totally clueless on a vehicle due to lack of hands on.

ASE tests are not as bad as they seem (except auto trans)

green91
11-04-2007, 10:42 AM
i mentioned my certifications solely because blackshine mentioned his. but i will say that in more recent years the ASE tests are much less book type questions and more experience based questions, its not as simple as studing a set of hvac gauge readings anymore to pass the ac test etc. in addition to the fact that they do require 2 years of hands-on experience to get your certifications.

i generally think that people who shun certifications are ignorant, all truly good technicians that i know are either working on or have certifications as well. its a dumb notion that anyone would down someone who goes through the extra effort to show competence.

SandM
11-04-2007, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=green91] all truly good technicians that i know are either working on QUOTE]

thanks for including me.... im going to enjoy this even though your not talking about me!

Init2winit
11-05-2007, 06:19 AM
i mentioned my certifications solely because blackshine mentioned his. but i will say that in more recent years the ASE tests are much less book type questions and more experience based questions, its not as simple as studing a set of hvac gauge readings anymore to pass the ac test etc. in addition to the fact that they do require 2 years of hands-on experience to get your certifications.

i generally think that people who shun certifications are ignorant, all truly good technicians that i know are either working on or have certifications as well. its a dumb notion that anyone would down someone who goes through the extra effort to show competence.You must work for a dealership.

green91
11-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Yes i do, and having ASE certs makes all the difference on the pay scale as well as getting hired anywhere. When job hunting they make it very easy to get in the door to nearly any dealer in the world which is reason enough for me to maintain my certification

acuraracer
11-05-2007, 07:13 AM
well just about all my wrenches are standard sizes and you can usually find a size close enough to fit metric sizes. and if that doesn't work you've always got crescent wrenches, pliers, and pipe wrenches. so the metric wrench set is pretty much a total waste.:goodjob:

Init2winit
11-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Yes i do, and having ASE certs makes all the difference on the pay scale as well as getting hired anywhere. When job hunting they make it very easy to get in the door to nearly any dealer in the world which is reason enough for me to maintain my certificationThats funny because mine have never helped with any money whatsoever. Of course, I refuse to associate myself with dealerships. They do everything different. The only thing ASE's are, are mechanical aptitude tests, NOT skill tests. I've seen so many people "talk" like they know their ****, but when it comes down to something, they are the last person to figure out a diagnostic problem, or mechanical problem, if they ever figure it out. This doesn't go for all, and it doesn't necessarily pertain to you, but it pertains to most.

silversol
11-05-2007, 06:32 PM
:goodjob:

RiceBoy
11-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Oh SH|T, I completely forgot about this post..You are still a DUMBAZZ even with your justifications in trying not to look like one..READING OWNZ U! He asked how OFTEN does technitian uses such wrenchs..The amount of times that I have used 10mm-19mm far outnumber the sizes 20-27mm. Apparently his teacher also AGREE. Seeing that he is just starting out, there are tons of other tools that would come in handy with his limited finances.

But since you act like you know SH|T in tech section and feel like your answers are what all of us should live by. I will gladly let you dedicate you life in here trying to be a ASS TECH...:rolleyes:

Just because you don't know me don't mean I don't have rep in the streets. I give my general advice because I just so happen to be an ASE certified technician, with dealer experience, and nowadays, I just so happen to do emissions repair work. Like I was saying, HE said that it's pointless for what HE does. The original guy posted do any of us use them, which was a general question. The best answer for the original question was ovious, being that he didn't state what particular car or cars in general that he works on, getting advice such as "don't bother wasting your money" would work only in his situation and possibly is the only type of cars that he may work on. I never knocked him on that. Just his answer was more on the lines of the work he does, not on other cars in general. So if being a pompous jackass is needed to answer a simple question, which btw you never still proof read it through, then I'm gonna continue to do that until people like yourself get the point I'm trying to poke ya'll with.

RiceBoy
11-05-2007, 09:50 PM

Yo Chris, I don't know why you would want to waste your time with the IDIOTS in this post for? IS TOYOTA BUSINESS GETTING SLOW? I can bring my TITAN to race all the tundras y'all have on the lot? :D

green91
11-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Yo Chris, I don't know why you would want to waste your time with the IDIOTS in this post for? IS TOYOTA BUSINESS GETTING SLOW? I can bring my TITAN to race all the tundras y'all have on the lot? :D

Lol we have been on and off lately.. the new 5.7 is pretty stout engine but i think youve got a little bit of an unfair advantage!

blackshine007
11-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh SH|T, I completely forgot about this post..You are still a DUMBAZZ even with your justifications in trying not to look like one..READING OWNZ U! He asked how OFTEN does technitian uses such wrenchs..The amount of times that I have used 10mm-19mm far outnumber the sizes 20-27mm. Apparently his teacher also AGREE. Seeing that he is just starting out, there are tons of other tools that would come in handy with his limited finances.

But since you act like you know SH|T in tech section and feel like your answers are what all of us should live by. I will gladly let you dedicate you life in here trying to be a ASS TECH...:rolleyes:

That, sir, is quite offensive. I didn't really demerit anything that you said, but only said in the line of work that you do, it wouldn't be nessesary. The original poster didn't mention what he does or where he do it at. It was a general answer I provided to answer such a basic answer. I think that's a fair enough response for your childish rebuttal. Please grow up. As for green91, join him. When ya'll do grow up, maybe you might be a respectable human in life to go along with your decency as a reputable tech.

iEvo
11-06-2007, 09:02 AM
yes buy the bigger 1. trust me

Init2winit
11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
I was planning on buying a combination wrench set. I was debating whether to buy the one that goes up to 19mm or the other one that goes to 27mm. I was wondering how often do technician use the 20-27mm wrench. Is it worth buying that set? any suggestion will be helpful, thanks.:yes:The fact is, if you come across something which requires some of the larger sizes, and you don't have any, what are you going to do then? There are some tools in my box that I don't use for years at a time, but when I do need them, they are sitting there ready to be used.