PDA

View Full Version : as always... i gotta problem... tranny/coolant question...

Killer
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
i know very little about engine work... but i know nothing about transmissions...

now i could be wrong on this...

but i was under my montero just now doing a bit of studying

and there is coolant coming from what appears to be my transmission...

if that even makes sense...

i've checked all the hoses around it... and i see no leaks... so unless there is a pinhole that i'm missing.. and it's shooting into a specific area on the tranny...

if i can borrow a camera i'll get a picture up...

but it's sorta towards the "front/middle" of the vehicle... and it's where to pieces of "metal" are bolted together... there is some sort of gap (from what i can tell is supposed to be there) and there is coolant coming out of somewhere in that... (it's the thicker end of the tranny that is facing the engine)

i know this prolly doesn't make any sense... but i was just wondering

does the tranny have any coolant lines.. or anything to do with coolant...

(no this is not transmission fluid that i'm seeing.. it is for sure coolant)

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
yes trannys use coolant. =) there should be 2 hard lines going to the tranny

Killer
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM

and if those lines are fine, what other reasons would it be leaking??? something loose/cracked/broken inside the trannsmission?

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
and if those lines are fine, what other reasons would it be leaking??? something loose/cracked/broken inside the trannsmission?
they are some O rings at the end of the fittings at the hard lines sometimes they go bad and they leak. umm if thats not the problem u met have to get the tranny resealed

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
pics would also help alot

Killer
10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
they are some O rings at the end of the fittings at the hard lines sometimes they go bad and they leak. umm if thats not the problem u met have to get the tranny resealed

and i'm guessing that's not cheap??

(the resealing)

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
and i'm guessing that's not cheap??

(the resealing)

i would say anywhere from 400-800 depends how good the shop is and if they know what they are doing remember u pay for what u get in this world.

what side of the is it leaking from?

it meat be a leak from the top the motor leaking down onto the tranny. making u think its the tranny but its not

Killer
10-15-2007, 01:22 PM
i would say anywhere from 400-800 depends how good the shop is and if they know what they are doing remember u pay for what u get in this world.

what side of the is it leaking from?

it meat be a leak from the top the motor leaking down onto the tranny. making u think its the tranny but its not

more towards the drivers side... i'll get pics if i can, but i'm at work with no camera...

so if you're laying on your back under the vehicle it's on your right... and say the seal was a clock.. the area that is leaking is at about 4-5...

here's a "drawing"

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/kvb1085/coolanttranny.jpg

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 01:24 PM
where do u live at ? if u live close by i could take a look for you

Killer
10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
where do u live at ? if u live close by i could take a look for you

marietta, roswell rd... near the big chicken... and i work in sandy springs... near the other roswell rd.../johnsons ferry.

TheProfiteer
10-15-2007, 02:52 PM

no a transmission does not USE coolant!!!! No engine coolant ever gets into the transmission!

Automatic transmissions require that thier automatic fluid be a certian temperature, thats why automatic cars have two more "coolant" lines on the bottom of the radiator. The transmission is feeding automatic fluid into radiator so it can be cooled a little bit.

Rememeber there is no actual GREEN ENGINE coolant (or Water) in the transmission!

If you see coolant its probably comming from somewhere else, dripping and traveling around the transmission than dripping onto the ground.

Edit: Now if you were seeing red automatic transmission fluid then you would have a reason to be concerned about the transmission. If you have a automatic trans fluid leak and its fairly significant they tranny would run out of fluid and at one point would not engage gears and just stop moving, and that could also potential kill that tranny.

Remember Tranny Fluid-(RED) Engine Coolant-(Green) *sometimes blue*

if you see red start worrying, tranny leaks are serious buisness and require attention.

Coolant leaks well they can get serious too, loose enough coolant, you will loose pressure in the system, and you will begine to develope steam inside the system, which could heat up to a point that blows the head gasket or warps the head.

I am guessing one of your coolant hoses has a small crack in it, thats fairly common in older mitsuibishis. Have your local mechanic do a quick inspection on it, do it now before anything serious developes.

Killer
10-15-2007, 03:16 PM
no a transmission does not USE coolant!!!! No engine coolant ever gets into the transmission!

Automatic transmissions require that thier automatic fluid be a certian temperature, thats why automatic cars have two more "coolant" lines on the bottom of the radiator. The transmission is feeding automatic fluid into radiator so it can be cooled a little bit.

Rememeber there is no actual GREEN ENGINE coolant (or Water) in the transmission!

If you see coolant its probably comming from somewhere else, dripping and traveling around the transmission than dripping onto the ground.

Edit: Now if you were seeing red automatic transmission fluid then you would have a reason to be concerned about the transmission. If you have a automatic trans fluid leak and its fairly significant they tranny would run out of fluid and at one point would not engage gears and just stop moving, and that could also potential kill that tranny.

if you see red start worrying, tranny leaks are serious buisness and require attention.

Coolant leaks well they can get serious too, loose enough coolant, you will loose pressure in the system, and you will begine to develope steam inside the system, which could heat up to a point that blows the head gasket or warps the head.

I am guessing one of your coolant hoses has a small crack in it, thats fairly common in older mitsuibishis. Have your local mechanic do a quick inspection on it, do it now before anything serious developes.

well you sound like you know what's up...

but basically it's your word against his... i for sure don't want take chances... can anyone second either of these? so that i know what the hell to look for...

reps for you profiteer... (not that i don't trust you or anything... i just want to be sure...)

Killer
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
up...

Leadfoot_mf
10-15-2007, 05:19 PM

coolant is also orange . (dex cool)

KPowerEP3
10-15-2007, 05:57 PM

don't forget that useless orange long life ****.

TheProfiteer
10-15-2007, 06:12 PM
troof troof, but point being, coolant does not circulate through the Automatic trans.

TheProfiteer
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM

on another note, I am no mechanic, in fact I am mechanically retarded, and this guy claims hes a tech, "need work done PM me" ?

boy you just discredited your self with your post.

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 11:57 PM
on another note, I am no mechanic, in fact I am mechanically retarded, and this guy claims hes a tech, "need work done PM me" ?

boy you just discredited your self with your post.

umm on alot of BMWs and jags they use coolant throw there tranny to cool them other then tranny coolers(no they dont mix its different ports within the trannt to cool it ).but every car is different and what theprofiteersaid is tru **** i did a tranny the other day like that so yes and no depends on the car and if it is wrong with your car am sorry u cant know everything about every car out there and if u think am wrong why dont u tell my person that gave me the tranny asc that.there many peolpe on this fourm that can tell u know i know what am talking about i dont really **** with tranny anymore but whatever

TheProfiteer
10-16-2007, 12:16 AM
:thinking: Yeah that was a coherent response

Killer
10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
my tranny fluid is cooled by a separate smaller "radiator" i followed the lines for that yesterday....

i did get a closer look at the coolant problem, BUT still couldn't figure it out.. it still looks like it's coming from the tranny....

what sucks is that this freakin engine is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen... it's crammed in as tight as possible... the distributor/alternator/thermostat/intake everything is on top of the engine... it's a v6 btw... and i can't even get to the valve cover... my guess is that there is a small hose near the block and that its slowly dripping down, but then again.. it could be something else...

i think i'm gonna run it by a shop tomorrow see what they tell me...

TheProfiteer
10-16-2007, 08:40 AM
my tranny fluid is cooled by a separate smaller "radiator" i followed the lines for that yesterday....

i did get a closer look at the coolant problem, BUT still couldn't figure it out.. it still looks like it's coming from the tranny....

what sucks is that this freakin engine is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen... it's crammed in as tight as possible... the distributor/alternator/thermostat/intake everything is on top of the engine... it's a v6 btw... and i can't even get to the valve cover... my guess is that there is a small hose near the block and that its slowly dripping down, but then again.. it could be something else...

i think i'm gonna run it by a shop tomorrow see what they tell me...

:goodjob:

blaknoize
10-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Well... if this helps. I also had what I thought was a transmission coolant leaking problem. It turned out to be a engine coolant hose that led into the car and back out (recirulating) the coolant. It ran down my transmisson and I freaked. But it was just a $5 hose that needed replacing. Ur case may be different, but thats what was wrong with mine.

I need help on THIS though: http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143771