PDA

View Full Version : Stupid battery question...

JDM onlyy
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Okay, I got my alternator checked and I charged my battery, but for some reason my stupid battery light is still on. And I think it might die on me again like it did before because it got to the point where I had to jump the car and if I turned the lights on when I disconnected the jumper cables, the car turned off...

Any suggestions on what the heck is wrong?

cactusEG
10-14-2007, 09:45 PM
bad connection some where..

Mad Mike
10-14-2007, 09:57 PM
most likely a bad ground or like cactus said bad connection or wire. On my crx there was a break in the wire that goes from the alt. to the main fuse box so I ran a wire between the two points till I had time to pull the harness apart.

good luck

JDM onlyy
10-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty sure my grounds are on good, I double checked those...but I'll triple check tomorrow. Would wiring a fan switch directly to my battery effect this? But it showed the light before I even wired the switch...

So...how would I check for bad connections? I don't want to just check EVERY wire...thats a lot of wires...

Mad Mike
10-14-2007, 10:12 PM
I disconnected the wire that connects the alt. to the main fuse box and checked it with a volt meter and thats how I found mine. I got lucky, just take your time and check all the connections that you can find. A wire could have broken out of the connector or something like that. Electrical issues suck

blackshine007
10-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I would have the wire double checked by someone else to confirm that the alternator is ok. It needs to be putting out at least 13 volts or better without a load. Check all your connections at or near the alternator

MattB
10-14-2007, 10:29 PM
bad connection or ground sounds like to me. have you put a volt meter on the battery while its running to see if its charging at all? should change the voltage reading once the car starts(an increase obviously)

JDM onlyy
10-14-2007, 10:43 PM
I would have the wire double checked by someone else to confirm that the alternator is ok. It needs to be putting out at least 13 volts or better without a load. Check all your connections at or near the alternator

Hmm, I had it checked by AutoZone when I took it out and they said it was good. I wonder if the wire to my alternator is bad. I need a volt meter...sigh. Not having the right tools sucks! :(

MattB
10-15-2007, 12:47 AM
get one from walmart, usually under 20 bucks or borrow one

cactusEG
10-15-2007, 07:30 AM
I disconnected the wire that connects the alt. to the main fuse box and checked it with a volt meter and thats how I found mine. I got lucky, just take your time and check all the connections that you can find. A wire could have broken out of the connector or something like that. Electrical issues suck

listen to mike. this boys a wizz kid at electronics and wires :goodjob:

Mad Mike
10-15-2007, 08:11 AM
not really I just mess around with this stuff and learn as I go.

drmcivicsi
10-15-2007, 09:32 AM
umm is your belt tight?

JDM onlyy
10-15-2007, 02:58 PM
umm is your belt tight?

Its pretty darn tight...How tight is it supposed to be. If I poke at it with my finger it moves less than half an inch I suppose. Thinking I might need a new belt maybe? Maybe this one has been stretched out?