PDA

View Full Version : glass top ef hatch

JDMJAYDC2
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
ha dont get excited i dont have it but i was staring up at the top of my car after meeting ben at his job cool ****ing dude by the way and i was thinking about the jdm glass top crx's and was wondering how hard it would be to do on a ef hatch i was wondering if it was something i could have made or how it would look.

discuss

Papa_Smurf
10-14-2007, 05:27 PM
expensive....

but that would be ****ing tizight!

DrunkScotsman
10-14-2007, 05:29 PM
it wouldn't be as sturdy as the rex

DrunkScotsman
10-14-2007, 05:30 PM
trust me , Jeff's install was at my house , too much roof on a hatch , it would be sweet though

JDMJAYDC2
10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking but i was thinking more of a hmm let me see how can i say this a super large moonroof type deal i guess so that way the roof would still be kinda sturdy if you get what im saying. imagine a oval shape i guess

jfrolang
10-14-2007, 05:35 PM
a CRX roof panel is too curved to fit on a hatch... but the flat top of the EF hatch would be an advantage. If you can make a frame for the glass to lay in (it would have to be 100% custom) you could use flat laminated sheets of tinted glass. Then have an upholstery shop finish the interior.

It's unprecedented.

DrunkScotsman
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
lol , sup Jeff , i knew you would be in here , you would have to weld some more supports after the glass towards the rear of the car

smokeyj
10-14-2007, 06:38 PM
WHY NOT CUT A PIECE OF PLEXIGLASS TO WIDTH AND LENGTH YOU WANT GLASS TO BE IN CAR MEASURE CUT ROOF. THEN MEASURE DEPTH OF GLASS (HOW FAR THE GLASS HAS TO SIT IN CAR TO BE EVEN WITH TOP OF ROOF) MAKE A FRAME TO THE WIDTH, DEPTH AND LENGTH YOU NEED AND HAVE A LIP COMING OFF IT TO SIT GLASS ON. PLEXIGLASS WILL FLEX SOME SO IT SHOULD SIT OKA EVEN WITH A LITTLE CURVE OR WHAT NOT. THEN TINT THE GLASS SPRAY THE NEWLY ADD METAL TO MATCH CAR GET SOME WINDOW SEALANT LIKE THEY USE FOR WINDSHIELDS PUT IN LIP PLACE GLASS ON TOP LET IT SIT FOR AS LONG AS NEEDED. THEN FOR THE LITTLE CRACK LEFT BETWEEN GLASS AND ROOF MEDAL BUY SOME WINDOW TRIM AND GLUE IT IN PLACE.
THEN YOU ARE DONE

NOW I HAVEN'T DONE THIS JUST THOUGHT IT UP FOR MY HATCH A WHILE AGO SO I DON'T KNOW HOW STRUCTURALLY SOUND THIS WILL BE FOR YOU HATCH YOU MIGHT HAVE TO AD SOME SUPPORTS BUT IT GETS WHAT YOU WANT DONE AND PRETTY SIMPLE FOR THE MOST PART.IT MIGHT EVEN BE A BETTER WAY TO DO IT THIS IS JUST WHAT THOUGHT UP
LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO ATTEMPT IT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT FINISHED

O AND SORRY ABOUT CAPS TO LAZY TO RETYPE

JDMJAYDC2
10-14-2007, 08:20 PM
^^^hmm could have just turned off caps lock lol but i wasnt planning on putting the crx roof on my hatch just taking that idea sort of and using it for my hatch i like ^^ ur idea though although i think plexiglass may give me a cheap look and i want the crx factory look im going to D&D kustoms tomorrow to ask and see how much something like this would possibly cost me i really want it to be flush on the inside but i dont want the glass on the outside to extend all the way to the side of the car like on the crx if im making any sense. but maybe a couple of inches away from the side of the roof i want it to look like a closed sunroof like on my dc integra but all the way back to then rear of the car

DrunkScotsman
10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
**** would look sweet bro!

bigdare23
10-14-2007, 10:35 PM
sunroof ftmfw!!!

EvasiveEF9
10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Alright, I'm throwing in my two-cents...and this may have been covered in one of the posts including the one with the caps, or shortly thereafter. Was too much for my tired eyes to read, tonight.

Anyways, I've MANY times thought about doing something like this. But there's several problems you'll face.

1) Getting the correct angle/curve of the hatch roof is going to be difficult.
2) You're going to take away a relatively decent amount of rigidity of the vehicle in doing this, this causing greater chance of leaking.
3) With a roof glassed out that large...think of how hard your AC is gonna have to work to keep the insides cool...and same goes for your heat.
4) Everything would have to be completely custom. That's alot of work, and alot of money (granted, it WOULD be badass)
5) If you just barely cut that glass wrong...you've gotta get a whole new sheet...

The best option I came up with (thus far) is to make it more like TWO sunroofs. Put one in the normal place, and offer enough room for it to move, or whatever you want it to do, and then place one behind it over the rear seat. You would still have the rigidity (for the most part) and one could be fully functional, if not both...

smokeyj
10-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I figured plexiglass was more cost effective than getting glass shaped and cut its stronger than glass and I believe someone told me it is similar to bullet proof glass(but don't quote me on last part) and then you can order it in the color you want as well (www.professionalplastics.com they even have bronze for a fake jdm type look) I was also thinking the thicker the better for strength purposes but as for the flushness on inside that wont matter your upholstery shop should be able to fix that you just want outside to be flush and even.

EvasiveEF9
10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I see it being costly no matter how you do it (if you do it right) but would be an outstanding project that I would love to be a part of...

smokeyj
10-15-2007, 06:50 PM
did you got to D&D today what was there price for doing roof

JDMJAYDC2
10-15-2007, 10:38 PM
didnt get a chance to go to D&D today spent too much time with ben at the shop shooting tha **** and comparing hatches i will keep this thread updated as me and ben talked alot about me doing this

mxglory258
10-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Ben, I agree on the AC part, but not on the heat however. I think during the colder times, usually atleast up here in PA the sun is bright as hell. Which generally keeps the car relatively warm. To me, It would be an added bonus in the winter time, to let the sun warm the car as well.

JDMJAYDC2
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
going to head up there on the weekend hopefully if i get some time can someone post pics of a jdm crx with the glass top so i can show the guys at the shop

jfrolang
10-17-2007, 07:03 PM
can someone post pics of a jdm crx with the glass top so i can show the guys at the shop
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131827