PDA

View Full Version : lowering question...

SLo_MKIII
10-14-2007, 10:48 AM
so i measured the gap between the top of the tire and the wheel well, and the front is 3in and the rear is 2in... thats seems a little weird to me. i was gonna get some lowering springs that drops it 2in all the way around just wanted some advice about how that might look, i dont want it to look like its sitting high in the front and low in the rear:???:

Andy_013
10-14-2007, 10:57 AM
coilover....

SLo_MKIII
10-14-2007, 11:12 AM
coilover....

sounds good, but i dont want to sink $500+ into my daily driver for some real coilovers and i have yet to find anyone that just sells the sleeves

.blank cd
10-14-2007, 11:25 AM
what kind of car are we talking about?

Kyle
10-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Chances are with 2 inch lowering springs you will blow your shocks. If you wanna go low for cheap get a skunk2 cup kit or coilovers. Lowering springs are lame.

SLo_MKIII
10-15-2007, 09:20 AM
what kind of car are we talking about?

altima

quickdodgeŽ
10-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Chances are with 2 inch lowering springs you will blow your shocks.

Unless you upgrade shocks.

Lowering springs are lame.

Not necessarily. I have 2" lowering springs on the GA and it rides great and did what I wanted it to do. Lower the car. It's just a daily cruiser/no racing and it suits it's purpose. Later, QD.

Kyle
10-15-2007, 10:36 AM

Not necessarily. I have 2" lowering springs on the GA and it rides great and did what I wanted it to do. Lower the car. It's just a daily cruiser/no racing and it suits it's purpose. Later, QD.
That's what I'm saying. If you don't upgrade your shocks chances are you will blow the factory ones. Especially with a 2 inch drop. But a significant drop through just lowering springs alone is not a good idea. Plus it will give you camber issues and your $150 springs will cost you some $400 tires, then a camber kit to correct it $140, then shocks to replace your blown ones $300. Lowering springs are worthwhile for small drops IMO.

quickdodgeŽ
10-15-2007, 10:47 AM
That's what I'm saying. If you don't upgrade your shocks chances are you will blow the factory ones. Especially with a 2 inch drop. But a significant drop through just lowering springs alone is not a good idea. Plus it will give you camber issues and your $150 springs will cost you some $400 tires, then a camber kit to correct it $140, then shocks to replace your blown ones $300. Lowering springs are worthwhile for small drops IMO.

I'm running stock shocks for now(should have waited but didn't) but will upgrade to KYB soon. My camber, luckily, didn't get thrown out of wack. My car ended up with a total loss of altitude of about 2 3/4" after settling. Later, QD.

fucksohc
10-15-2007, 10:59 AM

yes this is true but that will cost more than a ok set of coilovers... lol

esiatlanta
10-15-2007, 11:00 AM
cut the springs....

quickdodgeŽ
10-15-2007, 11:07 AM
yes this is true but that will cost more than a ok set of coilovers... lol

I don't know about that. KYB is a big brand name after market shock. You can get them new all day long for right around $200/set. I'm pretty sure coilovers(real coilovers) cost a lot more than that. If you're thinking of those $20 sets on Ebay, then those are just as bad, if not worse, than lowering springs. And you'd still need to upgrade shocks.

And hail no to cutting springs. Heated is better. Later, QD.

Kyle
10-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm running stock shocks for now(should have waited but didn't) but will upgrade to KYB soon. My camber, luckily, didn't get thrown out of wack. My car ended up with a total loss of altitude of about 2 3/4" after settling. Later, QD.
Yeah some cars don't have camber issues. Every VW guy I know doesnt have any camber problems.

I don't know about that. KYB is a big brand name after market shock. You can get them new all day long for right around $200/set. I'm pretty sure coilovers(real coilovers) cost a lot more than that. If you're thinking of those $20 sets on Ebay, then those are just as bad, if not worse, than lowering springs. And you'd still need to upgrade shocks.

And hail no to cutting springs. Heated is better. Later, QD.
I didn't know they were that cheap. For your car, springs and shocks is your best bet. For cars like hondas, if you want to lower it cheap, buy a skunk2 cup kit or coilovers. In the end its all about what you want. If you want driveability get a cup kit, if you want to slam it get coils. You'll see my choice soon enough. :ninja:

quickdodgeŽ
10-15-2007, 11:13 AM
You'll see my choice soon enough. :ninja:

Heheh. Later, QD.

jdm_91crx
10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
get new shocks, lowering springs, front and rear camber kits, and call it a deal. You'll end up spending roughly $600-800 depending on your deals.

JDM onlyy
10-17-2007, 02:29 PM
get new shocks, lowering springs, front and rear camber kits, and call it a deal. You'll end up spending roughly $600-800 depending on your deals.

And with that you could get a tein basic coilover set....

Nevea
10-17-2007, 04:29 PM
And with that you could get a tein basic coilover set....

thats what i am going to do...

imbosile
10-17-2007, 04:34 PM
You'll see my choice soon enough. :ninja:

Ooh, so sneaky. What's the deal with that bumper you told me you bought? I see your car a few times a week and haven't noticed any changes yet. Just wondering.

Kyle
10-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Ooh, so sneaky. What's the deal with that bumper you told me you bought? I see your car a few times a week and haven't noticed any changes yet. Just wondering.
Everything is being held up by tires basically.