PDA

View Full Version : spring cutting

SLo_MKIII
10-13-2007, 01:46 PM
considering cutting my stock springs to lower my car about 1in. has anyone had any problems with cutting stock springs? also if someone on here can cut them for a cheap price PM me please:D

KPowerEP3
10-13-2007, 01:47 PM
it messes up your spring rates, bad spring rates = bouncy. But, if that doesn't bother you, then just eyeball it, take a little off, put it back on if you want it lower, repeat.

madking411
10-13-2007, 01:48 PM
If you're gonna lower less than 1 inch, then i think spring cutting is FAIRLY okay....

otherwise, its BADBADBADBADBAD!!

SLo_MKIII
10-13-2007, 01:54 PM
If you're gonna lower less than 1 inch, then i think spring cutting is FAIRLY okay....

otherwise, its BADBADBADBADBAD!!

yeah i dont mind it bouncing a little bit, it would probably be like .08 in the rear and 1.4 up front

cactusEG
10-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Bad idea... dont be a cheapskap ! !

Revmaynard
10-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Judging from your sig picture, you're gonna have some rubbing issues. What size tires are those?

madking411
10-13-2007, 01:59 PM
yeah i dont mind it bouncing a little bit, it would probably be like .08 in the rear and 1.4 up front

1.4 = too much drop. (for cutting anywayz...)

LESS THAN 1 inch...so, maximum would be ~.75'' safely

d16_turbo
10-13-2007, 02:02 PM
why not just buy springs?????????????????

0DISPLACMENT
10-13-2007, 02:02 PM
OR just buy some 140$ ebay springs.....

not quality but they sure the hell are stiff ;)

-darrin

SLo_MKIII
10-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Judging from your sig picture, you're gonna have some rubbing issues. What size tires are those?
haha that particular car was already dropped 2.25... its for another car:D

road1will
10-13-2007, 09:09 PM
don't be cheap...just buy springs...

what car is this for?

d16_turbo
10-14-2007, 01:16 AM

-darrin

you can get some skunk 2 springs for that ;)

turbosx©
10-14-2007, 01:32 AM
you'll die riding on cut springs

Turbodude06
10-14-2007, 08:33 AM
(Ebay $40 coilover):goodjob: , but I cut my rear springs cause I got my front for FREE:D and my car rides great not bouncy or anything feels stock, and I lowered mine about an inch and a half.........

1NonlyAccord
10-14-2007, 08:48 AM

not quality but they sure the hell are stiff ;)

-darrin

pshh ebay for 140? more like 38$.lol

Gutling
10-14-2007, 08:57 AM
cut paper or your wrists, not springs. buy springs.

quickdodge®
10-14-2007, 11:03 AM
I will go against what everyone on here said and say this:

SPRING CUTTING IS NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE THINK!!!

I bet half the people that tell you not to cut/heat springs have never done it themselves. They only go by word of mouth. My Grand Am is the FIRST car I've ever had (out of 13 cars) that I did NOT lower by way of heating. I heat the springs of my first car back in 1987 and rode like that for 4 years. No problems. Every car after that, I completely took the springs all the way off and rode struts. I even won the Atlanta Region SCCA championship in two years on heated springs on my Neon. And it was a daily driver. Put 216,000 miles on that car on the factory spring/strut combo with the springs heated the day I bought it. I have NEVER had a suspension related issue due to doing this.

But notice I have said heated this whole time. I don't like cutting because the ride is worse. In my experiences, I've always had good riding cars after a good heating job. Plus you don't have to take anything off the car when you heat.

Spring heating is not the best way to go, but it's not nearly as bad as people (some inexperienced or uninformed) try to say it is. But if you can afford to buy lowered springs, by all means, do so first. Choose what you will, but remember, you can take the word of someone who has only been into cars for a couple of years who's never done this or the word of someone who has been lowering cars for 20 years and has done nothing but this. Also, I can't guarantee that you won't have problems, but odds are, you won't. If you do do this, don't expect to run out and take car and race it everywhere. Doing this as long as I have, I knew how my car worked and handled, so I was able to do SCCA. If you want to race, get springs. If you're just cruising, nohing wrong with the propane. Later, QD.

SLo_MKIII
10-14-2007, 11:07 AM
I will go against what everyone on here said and say this:

SPRING CUTTING IS NOT AS BAD AS PEOPLE THINK!!!

I bet half the people that tell you not to cut/heat springs have never done it themselves. They only go by word of mouth. My Grand Am is the FIRST car I've ever had (out of 13 cars) that I did NOT lower by way of heating. I heat the springs of my first car back in 1987 and rode like that for 4 years. No problems. Every car after that, I completely took the springs all the way off and rode struts. I even won the Atlanta Region SCCA championship in two years on heated springs on my Neon. And it was a daily driver. Put 216,000 miles on that car on the factory spring/strut combo with the springs heated the day I bought it. I have NEVER had a suspension related issue due to doing this.

But notice I have said heated this whole time. I don't like cutting because the ride is worse. In my experiences, I've always had good riding cars after a good heating job. Plus you don't have to take anything off the car when you heat.

Spring heating is not the best way to go, but it's not nearly as bad as people (some inexperienced or uninformed) try to say it is. But if you can afford to buy lowered springs, by all means, do so first. Choose what you will, but remember, you can take the word of someone who has only been into cars for a couple of years who's never done this or the word of someone who has been lowering cars for 20 years and has done nothing but this. Also, I can't guarantee that you won't have problems, but odds are, you won't. If you do do this, don't expect to run out and take car and race it everywhere. Doing this as long as I have, I knew how my car worked and handled, so I was able to do SCCA. If you want to race, get springs. If you're just cruising, nohing wrong with the propane. Later, QD.

thanks, im not one for doing things like this my self. know of any places that will do this?

quickdodge®
10-14-2007, 11:29 AM
thanks, im not one for doing things like this my self. know of any places that will do this?

Nope. The person that showed me(back in 87) runs a muffler shop, but he quit doing that not long after he did my car. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone to do that. If you can wash your car, you can do this. You don't need not one tool. No jacking up the car..nothing. Later, QD.

dickdragon
10-14-2007, 11:58 AM
i cut my eibach springs to level my car. it still rides great!!!!!!

antiv6
10-14-2007, 11:59 AM
it really depends on car/spring there are some types of springs that will completely loose the spring rate and bounce when cut, there are others that dont. It really just depends on the springs

khaxnguyen
10-20-2007, 11:14 AM
i dont think you should. it might ride like number Ones.. that's not a "little bouncy". that's off road bouncy.

jdm_91crx
10-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Im riding on cut springs, I mean it feels okay, but tires are gradually wearing down on the inner side. But overall, I recommend doing this at your own risk. If you do plan on lowering or cutting, I suggest gettin smaller rims (15's) and camber kits.

Stopsnitchin
10-23-2007, 11:45 PM
cutting springs is rice as hell.

quickdodge®
10-24-2007, 12:38 AM
cutting springs is rice as hell.

Which is still 100x more than what you'll ever become. Later, QD.

SL65AMG
10-24-2007, 01:31 AM
why not just buy springs?????????????????

cuz cutting them is So MAD JDM TYTE YO!!!!!

Stopsnitchin
10-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Which is still 100x more than what you'll ever become. Later, QD.

but if i try real hard i can grow up to be a white trash piece of shat like you?
:blah:

quickdodge®
10-24-2007, 07:43 AM
white

You could never be so lucky. Later, QD.

AnthonyF
10-24-2007, 07:51 AM
now cutting springs...where the spring ends, dont you have to cut directly above there? Not all springs you can take a little bit off because the strut is usually notched for the spring to rest and not spin around.

Me, I would not cut my springs. I would take QD's advice and heat them. MAYBE Godfather customs will do it. I know they used to cut springs, i dont know if they heat them.

Also i dont know how much it will cost. If it's quite a bit, might as well buy nice eibachs and lower it. .02˘

Elbow
10-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Buy eBay coilovers...

If you have your heart set on cutting go for it. I had cut springs on my 240 and the ride want even that bad. It took a while to match the springs right and get the car the way I wanted it. So dont cut too much off at first. Cutting too little you can always go back and cut more.

chituntang
10-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I think as fast as cutting the spring, just make sure you cut at the same point for the pair of spring so you will not have uneven spring rate on both side.