PDA

View Full Version : Misc Ok.... need some help.

Ace
07-21-2005, 11:25 PM
I've been having some trouble lately with my pc, and I was wondering if anyone might know something that I don't.
I went to routinely restart my pc one day, and ever since then, it's been acting very strange. For example, on the desktop, this random "most common tasks" thing has popped up. And, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to make it go away. I've tried looking in all the display options, folder options, etc etc. And I can't find anything that will make that thing go away. I've tried right clicking it, left clicking and dragging,...... everything! Nothing works. So that's one problem.
The next is, since that day, the icons on my desktop are locked. Like I did with the "most common tasks" sidebar, I looked through all the options to let me move them at will, and still nothing. I tried unchecking the box that says "lock desktop items" (or something like that) and that didn't work. So, there's another problem.
Lastly, I can't uninstall most programs on my pc. For most programs, when I go to uninstall them using Add/Remove programs, it tells me "Could not locate Install.log file." I don't even know where to begin here....besides re-installing every single program that is missing the log file.
So, if someone could help, it'd be much appreciated. If you live here in Marietta, and you help fix my pc, I'll get you some free food from Arby's. :cool: Thanks in advance!

clean2draccord
08-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Not sure if its adware or a virus, but you might just be better off to backup your data and reformat the computer.

Spyder
08-16-2005, 01:24 PM
I use adaware all the time , it works like a champ. i see that you ran trend micro did it come back clean?
also it appears that you some how configured your desktop to be a stationary page, like you clicked one thing somewhere that made it the way it is.. kinda like an active desktop or something, i dont know i will have to mess with it later when i am home and see..

Ace
08-16-2005, 10:24 PM
yea trend micro came back clean. and i didn't touch any settings at all that would change the way the desktop looks or functions. but yea.... today, i restarted my computer and BOOM. it's fixed. the thing on the left is gone and I can move around the icons again. weird thing about it...i didn't mess with any settings again. it just...went back to normal. weird huh? but it's still runnin wayyy slower than it used to and i already ran all the programs to clean it up and make it run faster.

Spyder
08-16-2005, 10:26 PM
if you really know about computers use hijack this, get it from download.com.. it has some really nice features that let you stop shit from loading period.