PDA

View Full Version : USPS?

TypeRPersonality
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Anyone work for them? I'm trying to get a job there. I already submitted my application. But I hear it's a long process which includes an exam. Can anyone shed some insight on this job as far how the hiring process is and working there also.

MachNU
10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
my brothers girlfriend works there. Took her nearly 6 months to get a job with them. She had to go through ALOT of interviews, background checks, drug test, and general ****. She has had the job for 5 months know and loves it, says it pays great with ALOT of benefits starting out. Jus very very very very hard to get the job!

1CleanEg
10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
i was thinking about working there myself. i also heard the benefits are great and its easy to move up in positions.

ahmonrah
10-08-2007, 11:49 PM
yeah...WISH ME LUCK!!! i applied with them like in 05/early 06, and about 2 weeks ago i got the testing date(10-12-07) and ****...so yeah they take forever, but with what i'm doing now? i'm happy to get the test, so i can at least have the chance to start trying to get rid of this crappy job...and into something more stable, while i'm in school.

BTEC
10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
im supposed to be taking the exam this thursday but i dnt think i can get off for work. applied like 6 months ago and go the exam date lastweek. just started a new job so u know how they are about taking days off. Oh well, i think i got something better in the works ne way. Good luck to those who apply and those who get to take the test.

Extra Made
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Once you get in the door, all I can say is "stick with it". Depending on which office you're hired at, it may be easy or may take a while to "move up". I had a friend work a straight year working only one day a week. Yes! pay and benefits are great.

Oh, it may be helpful if you had another income coming in also. Good luck!

ironchef
10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Any ideas what the average starting pay is? And the types of positions?

BTEC
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Any ideas what the average starting pay is? And the types of positions?
the position i was applying for was fleet technician and i believe it was paying 20 hr. I dnt know if thats flate rate or on the clock though, thats y im not risking getting fired from taking a day off from my new job to find out its flat rate. i hear the ppl that does the sorting get like 16, but that could be bs. it tells you on their site.

TypeRPersonality
10-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I already got another job lined up within the week. At my current job, the store isn't making enough money, so I'm not getting enough hours. I already applied online, all I can do is wait now? I'm really set on getting a job at USPS.

superfox1
10-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I worked for the Post Office for 3 1/2 years. The starting pay is around $17.07 per hour. That depends on what department you work. That is for City Carrier pay. Good luck getting hired! The only reason I got in was prior military with VA benifits for havving 10% disability. I do know that The Atlanta district is in a sever hiring freeze right now. They had to send around 300 carriers to other districts. The PO is a good place to work if that is what you want to do. Just be ready for a bunch of Union B.S. and crappy hours. Ass a City Carrier, My first year I worked around 65 - 70 hours a week. My route was all walking...in the ghetto. I worked 6 days and sometmies 7 days a week. Because I was new, I also worked holidays. If you get on in the warehouse, as a mail handler, be ready to work the night shift. Everything is done in seniority....a friend of mine had been there for 6 years and was still working the crap jobs...

I had knee surgery that prevented me from carrying mail, so I sat on workers comp for 5 months...getting the PO to pay anything was a nightmare...then they wanted to change jobs on me and send me to Savannah...I left there as quick as I could.

I am not wanting to discourage you, but people don't go Postal in jobs they love....

Good luck

slowinmidga
10-14-2007, 11:46 PM
I work there in Macon but i went the route of rural carrier and i finally got enough seniority to get my own route. Most everything coming in is done by a test and a registry of applicants based on test scores. Of course prior millitary and disabilitys gets preference points. But just b/c you past the test it might be 2 years before they even reach your name on the list. The easiest way to get in is to start as an RCA. You dont get the benefits or a guranteed 40 hrs but you get the pay and work basically 40hrs+ a week and start at 17.87 i believe. Then as rural routes become availible its all based on seniority. On and i hate the first 3 hrs of work everyday but i love the last 5. go figure

Extra Made
10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
It def. easier getting as an RCA.

jaystar
10-15-2007, 07:14 PM
where do u apply at i used to work for ups before i moved to ga was think about getting back with ups or usps

Extra Made
10-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I think you can apply on www.usps.com. Look for "jobs" at the bottom. Not sure if there are any openings in G-nett.
Don't know if you can pick up an app. at the Post office either.