PDA

View Full Version : How did NASCAR ("stock car") get to how it is now?

2Fast4Radar
10-07-2007, 09:34 AM
The current perversion of NASCAR/"stock car racing" (if you even want to call it that, it hasn't been that in decades) is the reason the rest of the world laughs at us. I'm not sure if anyone else has any thoughts but personally I find it to be both a travesty of racing and an embarrassment to our country. :(

In no other form of racing do you see a single person (or family) being able to make up rules on a whim. How it got twisted into what it is today is beyond me. Where did it all go wrong? :no:

Tracy
10-07-2007, 09:41 AM
You must have never been to a drifting competition.

2Fast4Radar
10-07-2007, 10:09 AM
You must have never been to a drifting competition.I've seen it at Gateway International Raceway at a midnight madness drag race event. They had a seperate area set up for a professional drifting demonstration. Someone put their 240 into a concrete barrier wall which was extremely amusing, but honestly I've never been a fan of figure skating so it's not something I really seek out.

Tracy
10-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Well they change the rules on a whim every chance they get.

Currently, NASCAR is all about money and that means it is now about politics and bragging rights for the team owners. That's how it has gotten to where it is now.

Tracy
10-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I've seen it at Gateway International Raceway at a midnight madness drag race event. They had a seperate area set up for a professional drifting demonstration. Someone put their 240 into a concrete barrier wall which was extremely amusing, but honestly I've never been a fan of figure skating so it's not something I really seek out.

Who was the "professional"?

On_Her_Face
10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
nascar early 90's is > now

2Fast4Radar
10-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Who was the "professional"?Not sure - it wasn't something any Joe Blow who was there could bring their car into. I do, however, want to retract the professional comment since professional and drifting shouldn't really be used together. Enough about JDM figure skating weaksauce. I have no clue what this has to do with NASCAR: :offtopic:

What happened to real stock car racing and what really contributed to the deterioration of NASCAR that has brought it to the state it's in now? Am I the only person left who would like to see real stock car racing instead of this rubbish?

OneSlow5pt0
10-07-2007, 11:19 AM
nascar early 90's is > now

x2,nascar was at its best when dale was racing,when he died i quit watching it

2Fast4Radar
10-07-2007, 11:27 AM
nascar early 90's is > nowAgreed. I yearn for a modern day version of the original NASCAR when manufacturers were compelled to better their cars with a street legal competition version was available to the public. Cars like the Super Bird were available to the public and its advancements were driven by NASCAR. The Z06 was basically a streetcar spinoff of the LeMans C5R. "Stock Car" racing is so far from a stock car today that they might as well call it "Mars Rover" racing since Mars Rovers have about as much in common with NASCAR cars as actual stock cars do.

Tracy
10-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Not sure - it wasn't something any Joe Blow who was there could bring their car into. I do, however, want to retract the professional comment since professional and drifting shouldn't really be used together. Enough about JDM figure skating weaksauce. I have no clue what this has to do with NASCAR: :offtopic:

What happened to real stock car racing and what really contributed to the deterioration of NASCAR that has brought it to the state it's in now? Am I the only person left who would like to see real stock car racing instead of this rubbish?

Let me explain what it has to do with drifting, sweetheart. I was making a correlation between NASCAR and drifting in that ALSO in drifting do people feel that they can change the rules on a whim.

I'm not sure how many people on this forum care about stock car racing...period. I have never seen anyone else post about it.

On_Her_Face
10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
restrictor plates are dumb as ****.. so are toyota's in nascar. WHAT THE ****

Double_0_Rusty
10-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I don't like all the rules that are Nascar today, seeming how it came from Bootleggers runnin 'Shine, and running from the cops. Now it's all about the money. Just like the "COT" car of tomorrow, is a crock of s***

§treet_§peed
10-07-2007, 01:56 PM
nascar originated from moonshiners racing on sundays... if you look at the design of the cars now aka the car of tomorrow in nascar the idea for their design cam form imports

man
10-07-2007, 02:04 PM
nascar originated from moonshiners racing on sundays... if you look at the design of the cars now aka the car of tomorrow in nascar the idea for their design cam form imports

How did you come up with this?

§treet_§peed
10-07-2007, 02:05 PM
which part?

man
10-07-2007, 02:06 PM
which part?

The CoT coming from imports.

Double_0_Rusty
10-07-2007, 02:08 PM
just look at the freaking wings, and the front Carbon lip.

man
10-07-2007, 02:09 PM
just look at the freaking wings, and the front Carbon lip.

All race cars use similar wings and lips, imports did not start that.

§treet_§peed
10-07-2007, 02:09 PM
lol this guy is right but hold up and i'll give you some more info on it

man
10-07-2007, 02:10 PM
lol this guy is right but hold up and i'll give you some more info on it

Sounds good.

§treet_§peed
10-07-2007, 02:11 PM
here is how it started...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=history+of+nascar&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.nascar.com/kyn/history/
http://www.brookdaledodge.com/
http://www.nascar.com/2002/kyn/history/evolution/02/06/stockcar/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR
http://shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/~bw1/HISTORY.HTM

Double_0_Rusty
10-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I must say, I have taken a tour of Hendrick Motosports, all through the place, and it was pretty mind blowing with all the technology that goes into these cars today. I went into the engine shop, and they had like 24 engines lined up, just waiting to be used. Chassis shop, they had 4 cars, minus skin, sitting on racks almost finished from the day before....It was pretty wild.

§treet_§peed
10-07-2007, 02:12 PM
here is some and a pic

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motorsports/4212811.html
http://www.mlive.com/mbusinessreview/oak/index.ssf?/mbusinessreview/oak/stories/20070222_nascar.html

§treet_§peed
10-07-2007, 02:13 PM
lol yea man that **** is a major business

Double_0_Rusty
10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I was really blown away when I took a tour of that place.

redrumracer
10-07-2007, 02:34 PM
x2,nascar was at its best when richard petty was racing,when he quit i quit watching it

FIXED

and it all started around moonshine

green91
10-07-2007, 04:37 PM
restrictor plates are dumb as ****.. so are toyota's in nascar. WHAT THE ****

thats a pretty dumb comment to make, from a spectator standpoint restrictor plates making it a little more boring due to less accidents but they are enstated for safety purposes, to save lives. and toyota has as much business in nascar as any other manufacturer.

On_Her_Face
10-07-2007, 05:14 PM
thats a pretty dumb comment to make, from a spectator standpoint restrictor plates making it a little more boring due to less accidents but they are enstated for safety purposes, to save lives. and toyota has as much business in nascar as any other manufacturer.

ya back in the ole days the drivers jumped in their toyota to transfer moonshine.. ****ing smart. and restrictor plates can make things MORE dangerous, think about it all 43 cars all "equal" traveling in a pack at 180 mph.. i can see how that is less dangerous.. more people around at high speeds

green91
10-07-2007, 05:18 PM
ya back in the ole days the drivers jumped in their toyota to transfer moonshine.. ****ing smart. and restrictor plates can make things MORE dangerous, think about it all 43 cars all "equal" traveling in a pack at 180 mph.. i can see how that is less dangerous.. more people around at high speeds

funny that nowhere in the nascar regulations does it state that manufacturers car's had to have been used in carrying moonshine to race. and yes its safer to have alot of drivers running 180mph than 210mph, and it also levels out the playing field so the bigger pockets dont have quite the advantage that they would with an unlimited engine race. your arguments arent very well thought out.

On_Her_Face
10-07-2007, 05:22 PM
funny that nowhere in the nascar regulations does it state that manufacturers car's had to have been used in carrying moonshine to race. and yes its safer to have alot of drivers running 180mph than 210mph, and it also levels out the playing field so the bigger pockets dont have quite the advantage that they would with an unlimited engine race. your arguments arent very well thought out.

ya but there weren't toyota's from the beginning so they shouldn't be there now. notice i said they CAN make things more dangerous, both ways have less room for mistake, but one has the higher chance of having more people involved (restrictor plates). About making it fair? thats also stupid, who said it should be fair and why? let the strongest survive...

either way nascar only gets worse and worse, hopefully we can agree on that one

redrumracer
10-07-2007, 05:22 PM
i have to agree with ls2 kid restricter plate races are bull**** it should be about how can build the best and faster motor to get them around the track first. hell i dont hear people complaining about f1 going over 200 mph

green91
10-07-2007, 05:26 PM
so you like to play the argument that nascar keeps getting worse and worse, yet you think that the biggest pockets with the baddest cars should continue to win. doesnt that seem like a never ending downward spiral?

and i still cant agree with you on your toyota standpoint. any manufacturer who is willing to invest in the sport and has something they can bring to the table should be more than welcome, and all things considered toyota has done fairly well in their entry to the truck series and now the cup/busch races. while their cup performances havent been spectacular this year they have shown nothing but improvement, and im confident with gibbs under their belt next year there are big things in store for them. the only people that continue to argue against toyota are the ones with the most to lose. roush being a good example, complaining about how they fear toyota is going to put so much money into their cars, yet thats been roush's technique for many years now against smaller teams.

mocha latte cupcake
10-07-2007, 05:27 PM
nascar FTL.... turning left FTL....american cars...ftl....

No Acceptable Sports Car Are Represented

Double_0_Rusty
10-07-2007, 05:32 PM

I have seen a Nascar drift before. It was badass. Guess what he was turning right too. :crazy:

LMAO @ your "Nascar":lmfao:

On_Her_Face
10-07-2007, 05:41 PM
so you like to play the argument that nascar keeps getting worse and worse, yet you think that the biggest pockets with the baddest cars should continue to win. doesnt that seem like a never ending downward spiral?

and i still cant agree with you on your toyota standpoint. any manufacturer who is willing to invest in the sport and has something they can bring to the table should be more than welcome, and all things considered toyota has done fairly well in their entry to the truck series and now the cup/busch races. while their cup performances havent been spectacular this year they have shown nothing but improvement, and im confident with gibbs under their belt next year there are big things in store for them. the only people that continue to argue against toyota are the ones with the most to lose. roush being a good example, complaining about how they fear toyota is going to put so much money into their cars, yet thats been roush's technique for many years now against smaller teams.

there are a lot other things i disagree with that deals with nascar those are only a few. my other big one is that every car that is represented is FWD and/or sedan. yes even though its the big companies that are ruining nascar.. but it still should be survival. either way I look at it i don't like it.. just seems like the better days of nascar are gone. i'd much rather watch old nascar races than new ones.

quickdodgeŽ
10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
The current perversion of NASCAR/"stock car racing" (if you even want to call it that, it hasn't been that in decades) is the reason the rest of the world laughs at us.

Well I'll be damned. I thought it was because GWB charged into Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere and just started killing folks. Who would've thought it was just NASCAR that did it. Later, QD.

On_Her_Face
10-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Well I'll be damned. I thought it was because GWB charged into Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere and just started killing folks. Who would've thought it was just NASCAR that did it. Later, QD.
ya where have you been? NASCAR > Global issues

2Fast4Radar
10-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Well I'll be damned. I thought it was because GWB charged into Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere and just started killing folks. Who would've thought it was just NASCAR that did it. Later, QD.That's a little out of context. I assumed a normal reader could easily infer that I meant racing world. I guess we better start making sure we say "Honda car engines" on this forum instead of "Honda engines" because some people might think we were talking about "Honda 2-stroke gas generator engines." You know, as if it just wasn't obvious enough.:doh:

nreggie454
10-08-2007, 08:11 AM
That's a little out of context. I assumed a normal reader could easily infer that I meant racing world. I guess we better start making sure we say "Honda car engines" on this forum instead of "Honda engines" because some people might think we were talking about "Honda 2-stroke gas generator engines." You know, as if it just wasn't obvious enough.:doh:

QD made a funny. You didn't get it.

speedminded
10-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I do, however, want to retract the professional comment since professional and drifting shouldn't really be used together. Enough about JDM figure skating weaksauce. I have no clue what this has to do with NASCAR: :offtopic:What do you refer to dirt track racing as? What do you think Stock car was back in the day on the beaches of Daytona? You think either was or is "grip" driving? Drifting is simply a differant form of the same thing.

x2,nascar was at its best when dale was racing,when he died i quit watching itDale commited suicide. He refused to use safety equipment any more advanced then said STOCK CAR from 40+ years ago. Since the invention of the Hans device in 1991 there has not been a single neck or head injury with a driver equipped with one...you were lucky to see him even using the harness ;) By 1998 9/10 Nascar drivers still hadn't even heard of the Hans device, 7-8 years LATER! Then the Hutchens device or equivalent wasn't mandated until 2001. How many Nascar drivers died from 1991-2001 from neck and head injuries?

Much like their 1964-1972 General Motors suspension they don't adapt to change unless its a direct monetary benefit.

Elbow
10-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Sorry but...NASCAR FTL

nreggie454
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
What do you refer to dirt track racing as? What do you think Stock car was back in the day on the beaches of Daytona? You think either was or is "grip" driving? Drifting is simply a differant form of the same thing.

:umno:

Racing is all about getting from point A to point B the fastest. In racing, the person who gets to point B first wins. Some sliding occurs, but it is in no way the focus of the competition.

In drifting, it is still about getting from point A to point B, while looking better than the other guy (oftentimes carrying much less speed than a person going for grip). Position at the end of the race does not determine who actually wins, some judge does. I am not saying that drifters are lame, I am just saying drifting is NOT racing.

speedminded
10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
:umno:

Racing is all about getting from point A to point B the fastest. In racing, the person who gets to point B first wins. Some sliding occurs, but it is in no way the focus of the competition.

In drifting, it is still about getting from point A to point B, while looking better than the other guy (oftentimes carrying much less speed than a person going for grip). Position at the end of the race does not determine who actually wins, some judge does. I am not saying that drifters are lame, I am just saying drifting is NOT racing.Some sliding occurs? Have you ever seen a dirt track race? Have you ever driven on a dirt track? For the most part the one with the best form and biggest balls wins...not much unlike drifting. Both Racing and Drifting are competitions, whether it's competing to a finish line or how you get there either way it's still a competition.

nreggie454
10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Some sliding occurs? Have you ever seen a dirt track race? Have you ever driven on a dirt track? For the most part the one with the best form and biggest balls wins...not much unlike drifting. Both Racing and Drifting are competitions, whether it's competing to a finish line or how you get there either way it's still a competition.

I know they are both competitions, but drifting isn't racing. Yes I have seen a dirt track race, and they get sideways as hell. However, they aren't going for the biggest slip angles or holding the drift, they want to get around the turn as fast as possible and get as much traction as they can when they exit. In drifting and dirt track racing, usually the one with best form and biggest balls wins. However, in dirt track racing, the winner is always the guy in front.

Sliding is an event that often occurs during racing. Sliding itself is not racing.

quickdodgeŽ
10-08-2007, 04:21 PM
QD made a funny. You didn't get it.

Exactly. But his statement that I quoted was quite a bit broad. Later, QD.

Mike Lowrey
10-09-2007, 04:58 PM

Thighs
10-17-2007, 12:12 PM
nobody has mentioned the pushrods and carbs? or the iron block v8s? or the sheet metal bodies?

c'mon... these things were "high tech" in 1975... and the "Car Of Tomorrow" reminds me of a BTCC car from the late 80s/ early 90s. nascar is a joke.

SPOOLIN
11-01-2007, 07:48 AM
the COT is just a change that is needed so they advance their designs and change what the eye sees. There has to be change in anything so theres nothing you can do about it.

2turbo4u
11-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Where can I buy a RWD Camry at :thinking: I'll take two! Asscar ftl!

Thighs
11-03-2007, 02:46 AM
the COT is heavier than the old car and has the same motor/drivetrain, including carburated, pushrod-valved, iron-blocked v8s.

nascar sucks.

RutRoe
11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
As a guy who works for the SPEED Channel, who goes to every race, and who loves NASCAR....

I"m guessing that most of you guys who are making fun on NASCAR have never been to a race. 2turbo4u, 2fast4whatever...

If you've never been to a race, to be frank, you have zero idea of what you're talking about. It's not your fault, but you just don't comprehend what goes into these cars, or the races, or why so many people love it.

Have you guys even been down in the Cup series garage after a practice? Have you seen the technology that people use to race? No. You haven't. and that's ok. But just because you don't like the SPORT, doesn't make you an expert.

For the people that don't think Toyota should be in NASCAR, that's the attitude that people make fun of the USA for. It's a dumb thing to say....why ?

Because the Camry is the only car model in NASCAR's Nextel Cup Series which is actually produced in the US. Yep.

Ford Fuzion, Monte Carlo - both made in Mexico....the Charger, in Canada. So techincally, until Toyota came in, there was no real American made car in cup. Certainly there were American manufacturers, but no cars.

The arguement that the racing sucks because they aren't cars in stock conditions is weak.

That hasn't been the case since the 60's. True that the cars seemed more similar until the late 80's, early 90's, but that's the extent of that arguement. They've almost never been STOCK.

If you are curious about things in NASCAR, ask... or do some research. But don't just spew lies and make stuff up because you think there's no skill in what they do.

Sure most of the tracks, well all but two races, have only left hand turns, that's true. But to imply that it's easy to do what these guys do every weekend is assanine.

For me, the best part about NASCAR is the people. The fans. They show up in numbers every weekend and support these guys that they relate with, and monetarily speaking, it's much larger and more powerful than almost any other motorsport. F1 is a more expensive sport, but clearly, they don't have the fans or the viewership here in the US to really compete with NASCAR.

Just know that when you guys say this stuff you're doing two things.

1. You're not being PRO-motorsports, which in the end, hurts all of us. Wether you like drifting, dirt track, go-karts, SCCA, or anything else, when you support one of them, it affects how the others are seen. Taking a positive view on them makes a difference. You don't have to love NASCAR by any means, but it paves the way for a lot more things than you can obviously comprehend.

2. You're just like the people who lie and BS about their cars and you get mad at for not knowing what they're talking about. Seriously, how many times has somone told you "Yeah it's a stock civic, but it runs 11's, cause it's an ex, we got some secret stuff done..." In the end, it's all crap, and you guys are no different.

Just because something's not your thing doesn't mean you need to rail it and make it something it's not.

I mean, I don't like sushi, but I'm not calling you a assface because you do, or say sushi in america is nothing like fresh sushi in one of Japan's ports. (I've never been to Japan-see what I mean)

And the COT was designed to be a safer, more affordable race car in the LONG run. Not in the SHORT run, meaning this year.

Rutledge

japan4racing
11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
As a guy who works for the SPEED Channel, who goes to every race, and who loves NASCAR....

I"m guessing that most of you guys who are making fun on NASCAR have never been to a race. 2turbo4u, 2fast4whatever...

If you've never been to a race, to be frank, you have zero idea of what you're talking about. It's not your fault, but you just don't comprehend what goes into these cars, or the races, or why so many people love it.

Have you guys even been down in the Cup series garage after a practice? Have you seen the technology that people use to race? No. You haven't. and that's ok. But just because you don't like the SPORT, doesn't make you an expert.

For the people that don't think Toyota should be in NASCAR, that's the attitude that people make fun of the USA for. It's a dumb thing to say....why ?

Because the Camry is the only car model in NASCAR's Nextel Cup Series which is actually produced in the US. Yep.

Ford Fuzion, Monte Carlo - both made in Mexico....the Charger, in Canada. So techincally, until Toyota came in, there was no real American made car in cup. Certainly there were American manufacturers, but no cars.

The arguement that the racing sucks because they aren't cars in stock conditions is weak.

That hasn't been the case since the 60's. True that the cars seemed more similar until the late 80's, early 90's, but that's the extent of that arguement. They've almost never been STOCK.

If you are curious about things in NASCAR, ask... or do some research. But don't just spew lies and make stuff up because you think there's no skill in what they do.

Sure most of the tracks, well all but two races, have only left hand turns, that's true. But to imply that it's easy to do what these guys do every weekend is assanine.

For me, the best part about NASCAR is the people. The fans. They show up in numbers every weekend and support these guys that they relate with, and monetarily speaking, it's much larger and more powerful than almost any other motorsport. F1 is a more expensive sport, but clearly, they don't have the fans or the viewership here in the US to really compete with NASCAR.

1. You're not being PRO-motorsports, which in the end, hurts all of us. Wether you like drifting, dirt track, go-karts, SCCA, or anything else, when you support one of them, it affects how the others are seen. Taking a positive view on them makes a difference. You don't have to love NASCAR by any means, but it paves the way for a lot more things than you can obviously comprehend.

2. You're just like the people who lie and BS about their cars and you get mad at for not knowing what they're talking about. Seriously, how many times has somone told you "Yeah it's a stock civic, but it runs 11's, cause it's an ex, we got some secret stuff done..." In the end, it's all crap, and you guys are no different.

Just because something's not your thing doesn't mean you need to rail it and make it something it's not.

I mean, I don't like sushi, but I'm not calling you a assface because you do, or say sushi in america is nothing like fresh sushi in one of Japan's ports. (I've never been to Japan-see what I mean)

And the COT was designed to be a safer, more affordable race car in the LONG run. Not in the SHORT run, meaning this year.

Rutledge

werd...reps to you son!

blaknoize
11-03-2007, 04:59 PM

:lmfao:

blaknoize
11-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Ok... the above message didnt take the image, but its funny anyway!

RutRoe
11-05-2007, 05:29 PM
So that's it huh?

I just point out the flaws in your "arguement" and you guys give up, huh?

Well. Good talk, son. Good talk.

Brett
11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Very well put Rut!!

Blitanicle99
11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Being a watcher of Nascar and enjoying what it is I do have things to say of coarse.
Nascar is no longer a race. Its a spectators sport. People go for the intensity and the crashes. I have yet to see fans rilled up at other spectators sports like Nascar. Its pretty insane. I do not kill myself to go to all the races or watch everyone on TV. I enjoy going. The cars are loud as **** and those guys can fawking drive.
I support the Budwiser car. However Jimmy Johnson did kick some royal ass at the Nextel cup.

And RutRoe. Thats awesome man! I never knew the camry was the only one made in America anymore.

SL65AMG
11-05-2007, 06:35 PM

whats wrong with american cars? have you ever owned one(fords not included, they do suck), to make some basis of your opinons or are you just repeating what someone else told you?

chituntang
11-05-2007, 07:03 PM
There are things I like about Nascar and things I do not like about it. If you say Nascar sucks and drivers has no skills, go try a lap, and you will learn. The drivers cannot make a mistake or they will lose time, not just a couple of seconds, but more. This is the thing I like about Nascar. The biggest thing I do not like about Nascar is the point system. But I guess it is due to a fact that too many drivers are in the race, and it demands more points drivers can score.

The only question I have is that is all the chassis the same?

RutRoe
11-05-2007, 10:39 PM
The chassis aren't all the same...well, not techincally.

The chassis for the car of tomorrow have tolerances they have to be in, and they all have to be approved by NASCAR itself, then the body of the car is mounted. It's a pretty long process from what the teams have told me.

Jeff Gordon in particular has been vocal about trying to get NASCAR to change how it approves the chassis since the cars go through so many templates during inspection at the track. And if the car gets wrecked, you'd basically have to start all over....

And just for everyone else... if you haven't ever been to a race and you get the opportunity, please go. It's an awesome experience...and one lap inside during a race will change anyone's opinion on the sport, I promise.

chituntang
11-06-2007, 12:39 AM
So they are pretty using the same shape, but different "degree" angle? But they are still base on the same thing, right?

Thanks for the answer. Reps for you.

japan4racing
11-06-2007, 01:02 AM
pretty much..nascar just says "hey, stay within these lines" and if you stray you get penalized. that allows for adjustability and different set-ups between different teams but still keeps the cars "equal".

DrivenMind
11-06-2007, 02:25 AM
NASCAR has been a joke since the 1970s. Anyone who disagrees is probably chewing dip, backing into traffic with their Chevrolet, and beating their pets.

All the while screaming "Earnheart was a legend!"

Stormhammer
11-06-2007, 06:02 AM
NASCAR was the best back in the late 60s when you had the Daytona Charger, the Superbird, Charger 500, Cyclone 500, etc - cars that had to be put into factory production runs to run in NASCAR, cars that broke the 200mph barrier, cars that forced tire companies to update technology cause of blowouts at such high speeds - where the bigger the engine, the better ( and it too had to be marketed to the public, thus how the 426 hemi came to the street )

That was the epitomy of Nascar IMO ( and #43 drove back then too ;) )

RutRoe
11-07-2007, 09:38 AM
NASCAR has been a joke since the 1970s. Anyone who disagrees is probably chewing dip, backing into traffic with their Chevrolet, and beating their pets.

All the while screaming "Earnheart was a legend!"

This coming from a guy that threw a beat up old primered corolla around a parkign lot buring off perfectly good tires....

See how dumb that sounds? That's what it sounds like when someone makes a dumb stereotype.

Not only has it not been a joke since the 70's, you were born in the 80's, so frankly, you don't really have any idea. Now what I bet you do know is that the stereotype of a NASCAR fan is roughly as you established.

However, I doubt that the long list of multi-million dollar companies that are involved with all forms of NASCAR would agree. SO no offense, i've been there, I doubt you've even been to a race, so you can understand why what you're saying is worthless in reference to this.

But, i've been wrong before.

I'll start calling all these Fortune 500 companies and I'll let them know what some guy in Atlanta that's into imports thinks about how they're wasting their money.

I'm not trying to argue about this, but what I am trying to do is show you guys that it's a lot more than you know. It's a fascinating, technology filled sport, which a lot of you obviously haven't had positive exposure to, which is why you make fun of it and don't understand.

Again, I ask people to read what I wrote on page 3 and try to understand why being "Pro-Motorsports" works out well for all of us in the end.

ryanh300
11-15-2007, 04:17 AM
NASCAR is garbage, hands down. I don't think that it should be considered racing and the cars are trash too.

Glides
11-15-2007, 08:44 AM
NASCAR is garbage, hands down. I don't think that it should be considered racing and the cars are trash too.

Wrong. Nascar is simple on the outside and it's done that way to appeal to a simple people. That's why it's one of the most popular motorsports in the world. People the world over watch Nascar. You can see photos of people in Japan with Earnhardt Jr shirts on, England, France and many other places also.

Underneath it's one of the most technilogically advanced and one of the most secretive motorsports there is. Don't think so, go on a tour of a facility and step out of the tour lines with a camera. Chassis rooms, suspension rooms and motor build rooms are like little top secret laboratories in most of the larger teams. You'll damm near get beat down and at the least get kicked off the tour and escorted out.

How did Nascar get to where it is now? Money, lots and lots and lots of it. It takes 20 million to run an Arca team, Busch is higher and Nextel Cup......staggering.

To most Americans , yes, MOST Americans, Nascar is it. The drivers have near Iconic status around the US. Most people can't tell you the capital of Montanna but they can damm sure tell you what number Dale Jr will be running next year and what colors his damm car is. That's how big Nascar is.

I can understand you not loking it. I don't like it much. But you can't deny what it is, a juggernaut.

RutRoe
11-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Well said glides...thank you for trying to explain a little behind it. That's a very accurate description, although it's probably wasted on these dudes, since they obviously don't understand any of this.

You're about as bright as someone saying "all foreign cars are crap." Believe it or not, there are some people that think there's no Honda worth putting performance parts on at all.

What would you say to them ?

You offer no defense of your short sided statement and expect people to rally behind you. That's dumb. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's a chance you might have no idea what you're talking about.

Wait... I just check. You don't. Good try though

green91
11-17-2007, 03:57 PM
All of your arguments are very well spoken Rut. This is an argument i've had many times with friends and others alike and its so hard to try and change an ignorant person's mind. So rather than arguing my case i just enjoy the sport and feel sorry for those who cant.

40th GT
11-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Rutledge

Amen. :bow:

+1.

Glides
11-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Well said glides...thank you for trying to explain a little behind it. That's a very accurate description, although it's probably wasted on these dudes, since they obviously don't understand any of this.

You're about as bright as someone saying "all foreign cars are crap." Believe it or not, there are some people that think there's no Honda worth putting performance parts on at all.

What would you say to them ?

You offer no defense of your short sided statement and expect people to rally behind you. That's dumb. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's a chance you might have no idea what you're talking about.

Wait... I just check. You don't. Good try though

Thanks man. Most people are just too lazy to actually look into something. They just glance and make an ingnorant judgement based on the basics. See a guy with a mullet and a Nascar shirt...must all be rednecks. Thats the sad part of America at this point in time. We are some of the dumbest smart people there are.

I'd rather have a Nascar team than an NHRA team, a Drift team or any other team except maybe a Formula one team. Because to have enough money to own a Nascar team means you got clout. No regular Joe owns a Nascar team. Specially not a Nextel cup team.

But then again, most of this stuff goes in one ear and out the other to most people cause most people are ****ing lazyass morons who snap judge everything and everyone they meet.

Kalifornia087
11-18-2007, 07:42 AM
+1 for Rut.

I never really like Nascar on t.v, but didn't bash it either. I mean, when a feild of 40+ cars are trying to go that fast with a pubic hairs worth of clearence on all sides at some points, **** me thats skill if i've ever seen it.

I have been to 3 NASCAR races in person, while doing work for RaceCeiver (rut you may be familiar with them), and Holy **** NASCAR is so much cooler in real life.

If you hate on it, go to a race. You'll have a new perspective i can almost gauruntee it.

DC nismo
11-18-2007, 08:34 AM
reps plz positive

The Ninja
11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Just my opinion, and I feel like voicing it. F1 >>>>> Nascar

I've been to numerous Nascar events, my dad loves the ****. I was at the Daytona 500 when Bush was there. I was there when his caravan was getting pelted with drinks and people were yelling profanities and giving him the middle finger on his way out. Yea, you didn't get to see that on TV.

I heard the strong ass boos from when he was saying "Gentlemen, start your engines." On TV you heard him say it clearly, in person I didn't know he said it until the engines started because those are the only things I heard over the "boos".

I think Nascar is garbage as well. I'm not saying it doesn't take money, or it doesn't take skill, I just think the sport is terrible. I'm not going to argue with you because it honestly doesn't matter that much to me, I just feel like expressing my opinion that Nascar blows camel balls.

When my dad used to take me along with him I rooted for Jeff Gordon, until my Dad pointed out to me that he cried on national TV..... :sigh:

japan4racing
11-18-2007, 02:45 PM
lately i have been drifting away from from keeping up with nascar but im still a fan and i think its absolutly ratarded to say that the sport is garbage or any of the stupid comments ppl make about it. i dont like f1 but i dont go spouting off about how its a multi million dollar parade. i just dont watch it. i have watched a few and when they actualy get some racing going on (by racing i mean passing...not following) it gets very exciting. cars going that fast through turns and passing each other is bad ass. what im trying to say here is if you dont like nascar dont watch it.....i like all forms of racing but if i dont find one interesting i change the channel. no one is forcing you to watch nascar. and to anyone that thinks nascar is a bunch of dumb rednecks turning left and drinking beer....wow, you are really mentally challenged.

green91
11-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Should be a good race today at homestead, its the last race for the cup! Im gonna be so pissed if jimmie johnson wins the cup again! This may be the first time ive cheered for jeff gordon

DrivenMind
11-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Alright RutRoe you took the time to be patient, and respectful even though we were getting our jollies off talking ****; in return I'll try to give you a real response worth reading.

My biggest problem with NASCAR is the way it unabashedly overshadows every other single form of motorsport in the U.S. Plain and simple. It's like eating the same meal over, and over again for years. I'm dying for variety. But there's little to be found anymore, and don't take this personally, but I think SPEED Channel quit helping.

I absolutely cannot stand how much I see NASCAR on the network. I used to look forward to not knowing what I was going to find on Speedvision, be it Semi-Trucks racing on Motorsports Mundial, Off Road Championships, F1, WRC, IROC, SCCA, British Pro Touring, Rolex, Le Mans, The Ferrari Cup, Indy, Cart, MotoGP, Motocross, all that ****. Then slowly NASCAR took over. I guess Speedvision was in some financial need, because NASCAR, and the advertising for it seemed to simply take over.

I have no doubt that theres technology abound in Nextel Cup cars, I mean look at the budgets going into these things.

I hate NASCAR because of what it stands for. It's not about the competition. It's not about the racing. It's really not even about the cars anymore.

It's about advertising. It's about marketability, and it used to be/still is a method by which our domestic car manufacturers would try to pass off their ****ty, poorly developed cars, and sell them to a domestic NASCAR fan base, by relating them to cars that are absolutely nothing like their ****ty showroom counterparts.

Remember all the Chevy commercials featuring Dale Jr.? Yuck.

I hate NASCAR because when I was little kid I ****ing loved it. But as I grew up it just got more, and more boring. It didn't seem like these guys were pushing the cars. It just seemed like some kind of automated mechanical giant. Juggernaut is the best word I've heard used to describe NASCAR, it's unstoppable, and it's unavoidable. It's become so big that you can't get away from it. It's like racing for commies. There are other choices out there, but in the states, this is usually the only one your gonna get.

I understand peoples love for NASCAR, I really do, and almost any gearhead can sort of get why people like it. But as an enthusiast I hate how the Juggernaut has made all other forms of motor sports fight for a fraction of their deserved spotlight.

SPOOLIN
11-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Yep, id really like to see some good stuff on speed channel. I never see anything anymore that i would like to watch. WRC FOR THE WIN

Glides
11-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Alright RutRoe you took the time to be patient, and respectful even though we were getting our jollies off talking ****; in return I'll try to give you a real response worth reading.

My biggest problem with NASCAR is the way it unabashedly overshadows every other single form of motorsport in the U.S. Plain and simple. It's like eating the same meal over, and over again for years. I'm dying for variety. But there's little to be found anymore, and don't take this personally, but I think SPEED Channel quit helping.

I absolutely cannot stand how much I see NASCAR on the network. I used to look forward to not knowing what I was going to find on Speedvision, be it Semi-Trucks racing on Motorsports Mundial, Off Road Championships, F1, WRC, IROC, SCCA, British Pro Touring, Rolex, Le Mans, The Ferrari Cup, Indy, Cart, MotoGP, Motocross, all that ****. Then slowly NASCAR took over. I guess Speedvision was in some financial need, because NASCAR, and the advertising for it seemed to simply take over.

I have no doubt that theres technology abound in Nextel Cup cars, I mean look at the budgets going into these things.

I hate NASCAR because of what it stands for. It's not about the competition. It's not about the racing. It's really not even about the cars anymore.

It's about advertising. It's about marketability, and it used to be/still is a method by which our domestic car manufacturers would try to pass off their ****ty, poorly developed cars, and sell them to a domestic NASCAR fan base, by relating them to cars that are absolutely nothing like their ****ty showroom counterparts.

I hate NASCAR because when I was little kid I ****ing loved it. But as I grew up it just got more, and more boring. It didn't seem like these guys were pushing the cars. It just seemed like some kind of automated mechanical giant. Juggernaut is the best word I've heard used to describe NASCAR, it's unstoppable, and it's unavoidable. It's become so big that you can't get away from it. It's like racing for commies. There are other choices out there, but in the states, this is usually the only one your gonna get.

I understand peoples love for NASCAR, I really do, and almost any gearhead can sort of get why people like it. But as an enthusiast I hate how the Juggernaut has made all other forms of motor sports fight for a fraction of their deserved spotlight.

Excellent post and you are absolutely right. This is the kind of post that I can actually respect because thought has gone into why, how and what the problem with Nascar and your fellings towards it. Excellent work.

Your entire post though goes back to what I said earlier. Nascar is made for a simpler folk. The everyday hardworking pipe fitter or brick layer that wants a hero of the people. Most Nascar hero's are southern, from the old days or from the old day families and country. Minus a few (Gordon) who is pretty much the given favorite to boo. Nascar has gone through great pains to develop and market to this crowd of Blue Collar workers. That's who brings them the money and who the majority of spectators are.

Plus add in the fact that they use the "America is great" to the fullest doesn't hurt either. That's the hook, the way to get people in. It's American cars on an American track. Most people that by American cars don't do it for the superb features or the super technology (because let's face it, American cars for the most part suck) they do it because it's American. And Dale drow a Chevy so by god, that must be the American thing to do. Like I said, Simple people, simple cars.

Formula one will never take off in the US like they want it too because of that reason right there. What sane American would ever want to get behind a Honda powered race car???? Not my father and usually not anyone over the age of 30.

But yes, it is rotting racing out in some form. Speed channel was just the latest of casualties from the ever moving mass effect that is Nascar.

2Fast4Radar
12-02-2007, 11:24 AM

I understand peoples love for NASCAR, I really do, and almost any gearhead can sort of get why people like it. But as an enthusiast I hate how the Juggernaut has made all other forms of motor sports fight for a fraction of their deserved spotlight. This is spot on. Beyond the fact that I think NASCAR is in and of itself an insufferable spectacle of racing, I also loathe NASCAR because of its overall dominance that has left no choices to watch any other form of racing in this country.

I like the idea of cars from the dealer showroom racing instead of purpose built tube framed chassis stickered out to pseudo-resemble a real car. Why anyone would buy a Monte Carlo because they call a car racing in NASCAR a Monte Carlo is beyond me. No matter how "simple" someone is I find it hard to believe that they would find any resemblance between the car they see on TV and the one on the dealership lot save for the nameplate. Why go through all of the motions?

It's these simple minded, stuck thinking inside the box people that are really hurting our car market. We simply build poor quality vehicles pushed through by an older generation of simple minded executives geared to simple minded consumers who love simple minded racing. That's fine until you look at who we export our cars to - basically NOBODY. Because NOBODY outside the US has much interest buying them. Hell we can barely sell them to citizens of this country who are proud to be US citizens - myself included. Now there's some exceptions - Jeremy Clarkson would drive a ZO6 or a Ford GT, but like everyone else from his homeland Clarkson wouldn't be caught dead driving an Impala or Caliber around in place of a comparable Peugot or Nissan. That's why there aren't Chevrolet dealerships all over Asia or Europe, yet the US has an enormous list of import dealerships.

AnthonyF
12-09-2007, 12:08 AM
i love watching old REAL nascar races. Where the owners would go to the dealer ship and pick up a Mustang or Road Runner and mod the hell out of it and take it to the track. different body lines, different motors, everything was different. Now, all the cars are the same. Hardly any lap passes b/c they stay in one big ass group. i dont like Nascar, never have never will. drag racing is for 5 seconds and that is more entertaining to me than the 4 hours on an oval track in nascar.

japan4racing
12-09-2007, 12:39 AM
i cant say i have ever seen a mustang in a nascar race....it was def more exciting in someways in the past...it also exciting with the new technology but you gotta take the good with the bad. i think perhaps the racing may have been more action packed back in the day but with the technology of today the racing is actually better.

JDMJAYDC2
12-09-2007, 06:56 AM
i only like it when they wreck but i dont like how they have high wings on the cars now it just looks stupid imo.

RutRoe
12-09-2007, 01:28 PM
This is spot on. Beyond the fact that I think NASCAR is in and of itself an insufferable spectacle of racing, I also loathe NASCAR because of its overall dominance that has left no choices to watch any other form of racing in this country.

I like the idea of cars from the dealer showroom racing instead of purpose built tube framed chassis stickered out to pseudo-resemble a real car. Why anyone would buy a Monte Carlo because they call a car racing in NASCAR a Monte Carlo is beyond me. No matter how "simple" someone is I find it hard to believe that they would find any resemblance between the car they see on TV and the one on the dealership lot save for the nameplate. Why go through all of the motions?

It's these simple minded, stuck thinking inside the box people that are really hurting our car market. We simply build poor quality vehicles pushed through by an older generation of simple minded executives geared to simple minded consumers who love simple minded racing. That's fine until you look at who we export our cars to - basically NOBODY. Because NOBODY outside the US has much interest buying them. Hell we can barely sell them to citizens of this country who are proud to be US citizens - myself included. Now there's some exceptions - Jeremy Clarkson would drive a ZO6 or a Ford GT, but like everyone else from his homeland Clarkson wouldn't be caught dead driving an Impala or Caliber around in place of a comparable Peugot or Nissan. That's why there aren't Chevrolet dealerships all over Asia or Europe, yet the US has an enormous list of import dealerships.

Sorry I quit checking on the thread and didn't see you had replied DrivenMinds...

That was a more than respectable response, which as you've seen in this thread, many people are unable to voice those things clearly.

I agree with more than a few things you said, but I for one think there is still areas for change and I think the sport will have to make changes for the positive, or eventually hurl itself into a downward spiral that might not have an eject button.

2fast... You make some great points that aren't totally about this sport, but in my opinion more acurately reflect why the American Auto Manufacturers have had such troubles in the past years....we largely produce crappy cars.

Take a 5 year old Honda Accord and a 5 year old Chevy Malibu, or a Taurus even. Look at their maint. records, the interior wear, the exterior wear, and it's no comparison. We've made poor choices in catering to a market that had too many good choices to continue to make poor ones year after year.

I don't think your NASCAR car model reference is all that major since when you watch F1, there's zero crossover to a real car. And speaking with The King, Richard Petty, I have learned tons about how some of their cars came to be. The cars were much more stock oriented, but mst of the good teams, such as Petty Racing, would basically get a car from the assmebly line well before it was competed and customize the car at that point. I am sure there were many smaller teams that tore apart dealership sold cars, but to my knowledge there weren't many bigger teams that did that. But still, they at least looked like them....

I for one wish they did since I don't want to it end up like the IROC series where all the cars are built the same, look the same, and everything else.

The one thing I think we should address here is that a lot of people have said SPEED Channel, originally Speedvision, has sold out in many ways and doesn't stand what it originally stood for.

SPEED is a great example of change and evolution in todays economy. As a business, you have to make money. When they had rally races or shows about smaller racing series and they couldn't find any sponsorships for commercials or the shows, were they just supposed to pay themselves to keep everything on just to be true to the real racer ? Some would argue yes, others realize if they did that for long, they would have gone under....

What they did was create more programs with more "mainstream" content that had more sponsor options and would get higher ratings. Through this came the waterfall of NASCAR programming to the network. And you know what ? In my opinion, SPEED is much larger than it's ever been before due to the extensive NASCAR coverage and the great people that watch it.

Without it, how could a show like Pinks accomplish all that it has done ? Shows like NOPI Tunervision and Unique Whips have promos during NASCAR programming for a reason... it's because those viewers will come back and watch the other stuff...NASCAR programming makes other programs possible. Wether it's Unique whips, Pinks All out, or anything else.

That's why I am so adament about people being "Pro-Motorsports." It helps us all out in the end. Wether anyone likes NASCAR or not, when they get involved with stuff, people listen. People respond. Companies listen. Companies spend marketing dollars.

That's why it's important to understand the sport and how it works, which obviously some of you guys do.

And just for the doubters...last year, Kasey Kahne, who is a younger NASCAR driver for Dodge at Evernham Motorsports, helped throw a drifting event at Irwindale that matches up Drift pro's with NASCAR driver's all for Charity and the Kasey Kahne foundation. Not only was the place a sell out, 2 groups of people who didn't have much in common found themselves there together and cheering for driver's of different sports on the same track.

That's the definition of being pro-motorsports. Learn it, support it, and figure out how to benefit from it.

Echonova
12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
^^^ Says the guy who makes his living from Nascar... But he's right.:(

I personally will not watch Nascar on TV, but I am there everytime it comes to Atlanta. Because nobody knows how to promote and treat fans as Nascar.

japan4racing
12-10-2007, 12:15 AM
I for one wish they did since I don't want to it end up like the IROC series where all the cars are built the same, look the same, and everything else.

i have been telling ppl at work about this..its coming..sooner or later its gonna happen. i enjoy the iroc races but one every weekend with 43 cars in it....thats no good if you ask me

Glides
12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Money. That's how it got that way.

RutRoe
12-10-2007, 10:17 PM
All the debate aside...

If you've never been to a NASCAR race in person, it really is fun. I always tell people it's like taking a really fun college tailgating experience and stretching it over 3 days.

It's the sort of place where you can make friends anywhere, people are always willing to help, and you can always find youself a cold beer.

xliv2racex
12-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Speed up, slow down, turn left...... repeat... all that needs to be said of nascar

japan4racing
12-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Speed up, slow down, turn left...... repeat... all that needs to be said of nascar

thats it!....rick hendrick should be calling you any day now to get on the team...with you they will surely win another championship..after all...you've got it figured out!

Reaper
12-11-2007, 07:51 AM
everyone knows NASCAR is how it is now because of Ricky Bobby...Go watch his movie..it'll explain everything for you:goodjob:

RutRoe
12-11-2007, 10:31 PM
HA ha... true that.

Shake and Bake.

Hulud
12-11-2007, 10:35 PM
left hand turns only FTL

The Yousef
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
That's why I am so adament about people being "Pro-Motorsports." It helps us all out in the end. Wether anyone likes NASCAR or not, when they get involved with stuff, people listen. People respond. Companies listen. Companies spend marketing dollars.

couldn't have said it better myself...:goodjob:

ryanh300
12-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Sorry if I offended you Rut, I don't even really remember posting that..hmm..oh well. About Nascar, I don't have a problem at all with it (I've been to a couple of races at AMS myself) but agree with Anthony in that it's just boring (for me) to watch cars that all look the same and have no resemblance to what they're supposed to be drive around in a circle for 4 hours. Don't get me wrong, I know that there's a lot more to Nascar than I know and I respect all of the teams/drivers hard work but it's not my cup of tea. To each his own!!

Deke
12-12-2007, 01:06 AM
All I know is me and a group of friends made it to Talladega this year, and we had an amazing time. Now it was definitely due to the attempt to blend in with the masses (choice of language, actions, and attire) and lots of beer, but it was a great time none the less.

Note: I would not at all consider myself a fan of Nascar. And my friends and I are normally nothing like you see in the following picture (well except for the shotgunning beer portion).

The pic that sums it all up:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dewey3007/n12810023_32834130_5493.jpg

And I wouldn't say this necessarily sums up anything, just had to share it:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dewey3007/n12810023_32834145_8912.jpg

All the debate aside...

If you've never been to a NASCAR race in person, it really is fun. I always tell people it's like taking a really fun college tailgating experience and stretching it over 3 days.

It's the sort of place where you can make friends anywhere, people are always willing to help, and you can always find youself a cold beer.

Absolutely :goodjob:

RutRoe
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry if I offended you Rut, I don't even really remember posting that..hmm..oh well. About Nascar, I don't have a problem at all with it (I've been to a couple of races at AMS myself) but agree with Anthony in that it's just boring (for me) to watch cars that all look the same and have no resemblance to what they're supposed to be drive around in a circle for 4 hours. Don't get me wrong, I know that there's a lot more to Nascar than I know and I respect all of the teams/drivers hard work but it's not my cup of tea. To each his own!!

Hey man... you didn't offend me... I just thought if that was seriously all you had to say it was a total waste of time. Please excuse the "You're a genius" feedback I left you.

As you notice, every dip**** on here jumped in long enough to say "NASCAR sucks" and leave without any thought process, so pardon my smart assedness

speedminded
12-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Hey man... you didn't offend me... I just thought if that was seriously all you had to say it was a total waste of time. Please excuse the "You're a genius" feedback I left you.

As you notice, every dip**** on here jumped in long enough to say "NASCAR sucks" and leave without any thought process, so pardon my smart assednessAs a spectator I'll admit it's pretty boring, I normally always sit back and take a nap until the gasp's of the suddenly quiet crowd alert me there's an accident...then go back to sleep until the last 5 laps or so when the good racing begins :D

BUT really only 4 ways I'd fully enjoy the experience of Nascar:
1) In a drivers seat.
2) On a crew.
3) Photographing from track level.
4) In a suite with a beer girl riding me like it's her last time.

..and I'm gonna have to say those aren't in any specific order :tongue:

ryanh300
12-12-2007, 02:55 PM

As you notice, every dip**** on here jumped in long enough to say "NASCAR sucks" and leave without any thought process, so pardon my smart assedness

Yeah man my bad and I did notice the people that didn't have anything intelligent to say and just leave. I honestly don't remember posting that..probably drunk :rolleyes:

Speedminded :goodjob: good points my friend.