PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Testing

Princess12
10-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Can anyone help, or does anyone know someone who can help us get a car to pass emissions? We are kind of in a bind with this car, and could really use some help with this. Please let me know if you have anything that might be of some assistance. Thank you!!

Tech5
10-06-2007, 11:15 AM
what kind,make an model year etc, and why did it fail, details please

Princess12
10-06-2007, 11:44 AM
It's a 97 Honda Civic EX with a B16 Swap. The ONLY Passing element for emissions was a gas cap. When it was installed, we were told that it would pass emissions without a problem, and now... no such luck.

Tech5
10-06-2007, 12:26 PM
what is it doing , check engine light or not reading b/c they put a obd 1 harness an ecu?

blackshine007
10-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Please give some details. More than likely if it's not because of the check engine light, if the OBDII harness was properly hooked up, then probably a few of the monitors never set, but like I said, give us some details.

Princess12
10-06-2007, 12:45 PM
No lights are on... running fine. I believe it is because it was wired on an OBD 1 ECU with a Boomslang Conversion Harness.

OBD 1 Engine
OBD 1 ECU
OBD 2 Wiring w/ OBD 2 to OBD 1 Conversion Harness.

We took it back to the installers and they basically just gave us a page printed off the internet with directions on how to splice the wiring of an OBD 2 ECU, and that "should" work? We still have an OBD 2 ECU off the old engine; however, should that correct the problem and allow it to pass emissions?

silversol
10-06-2007, 01:08 PM
you have to be running a obd2 ecu with no codes to pass emissions

blackshine007
10-06-2007, 01:15 PM
you have to be running a obd2 ecu with no codes to pass emissions
Not exactly true. You don't have to have the CEL on and still fail emissions. Like I was saying, if all of the monitors don't set, then a soft code (no CEL light) P1000 will set. 7 monitors have to set, you can get away 2 not setting. Most of the time, evap takes the longest to set because it has to cold soak (not running) for at least 24 hours

rickgiblin
10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
well... shes talking about my car... princess12 is my fiance. but about the car... had mainstream do the engine swap which they guaranteed me that it would pass emissions. well it didnt. they took a b16 and put in a boomslang conversion harness from obd2 to obd1 to conert for the computer. it didnt pass anything on the emissions except for the gas cap. they printed me out a thing off of a website on somehow making the computer thinking that al the sensors are hooked up. so now im running a obd2 ecu on an obd2 chassy with a obd1 engine. my birthday was in august so now theres no tags or reg. on it. i need help asap. there is no codes being flashed, no light on the dash. had a code reader read and nothing popped up

SL65AMG
10-06-2007, 02:28 PM
well... shes talking about my car... princess12 is my fiance. but about the car... had mainstream do the engine swap which they guaranteed me that it would pass emissions. well it didnt. they took a b16 and put in a boomslang conversion harness from obd2 to obd1 to conert for the computer. it didnt pass anything on the emissions except for the gas cap. they printed me out a thing off of a website on somehow making the computer thinking that al the sensors are hooked up. so now im running a obd2 ecu on an obd2 chassy with a obd1 engine. my birthday was in august so now theres no tags or reg. on it. i need help asap. there is no codes being flashed, no light on the dash. had a code reader read and nothing popped up

so with that engine not being the right engine for the car and the computer thinking you have one engine at such and such emissions readings, and you have this other engine at such and such emission readings, maybe the motor is fine. only the computer is reading parameters that are not for the engine and it being too high and failing.

you catch my drift? its just the computer reading something that shouldn't be there? computer being the emissions computer

Princess12
10-06-2007, 02:59 PM
So what can we do to fix it?

blackshine007
10-06-2007, 03:17 PM
This sounds silly, but check your fuses. You need to make sure that you have power to the OBDII connector. I know on alot of cars, particularly Ford (not sure about Honda) but if the cigarette lighter isn't working, more than likely the fuse blew and when you go to hook up a scanner to it, it won't read because they're on the same circuit, thereby causing instant failure when you go to do emissions. I've seen that many of times. I work at an emissions shop. That's my guess

EmminoDaGreat
10-06-2007, 04:02 PM
we never guarantee emissions passing. you need to put your obd2 ecu in and jump the harness unlesss u feel like buying obd2 oil pump etc