PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about some ideas, here. Do I wanna build my own car?

EvasiveEF9
10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
It's something I've done alot of dreaming, thinking, and conjuring up of ideas, blueprints, plans, how I want things to work, and how to make them work...but I'm halfway seriously considering building my own car. Think about it...

I've got nothing but time waiting to get into the military.
I've got a garage full of parts and crap for cars.
I've got access to any part I may need.
I've got full access to a collision center, and all of it's goodies.
I've got the knowledge on how cars work, etc.

Plus, it's MAD bragging rights! Picture it...someone walks up, and they're like "Dude, I know more about cars than you" and I'd be like "oh yeah? yeah? I...built a ****ing car. Fromt scratch. Thanks."

Yes...I know I'm possibly thinking ahead of myself and getting in deep, and there's alot to consider in doing something like this...but how badass would it be to actually do it?

It would look something along the lines of the Ariel Atom/Atom 2...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/397256895_b2efb7b2f0.jpg?v=0

It would be a basic setup. I would take one of the engines I have in the basement and do some building to the tune of...throw a number out...200hp. The atom consists of 300hp using a supercharged cobalt SS ECOtec motor in the states, and a K20 over in the UK (where the car originated) Once the engine was complete, a subframe and mounts would be built around it...a cage, almost... The axle mounts would then be mounted, and then the rear suspension (independant, obviously) with brakes, and finally axles added in. Exhaust would be added, and I would have my drivetrain completed.

Next would come the 2 seats which would be mounted immediately in front of the motor. The intake would be set for the motor just up and back of the two seats (similar to the indy cars). The seats would be mounted to frames/sliders from...say...a civic or integra, and they would be customized to mount to part of the frame (similiar to that of the lotus elise). The cage and subframe would be extended further, and pedals and a steering columb would be mounted. The shifting setup would have to be customized and re-done in order to shift properly (seeing as the honda tranny-shift nubs aim towards the back of the car) and the shifter would be reversed (IE, pull for first, push for second, and so on and so forth) Being a cable tranny, the clutch would be easy. A master cylinder could be mounted to the pedal assembly. Lines would be run later...

The frame would then be extended again to mate the steering rack to it's column and frame, and pushed out to either side of the car. Upper control arms and lower would be mounted, and the front wheels positioned at the ends of the steering rack. Brakes would go in, as well, and the brake lines would be bent and run.

At this point, aside from lights, I would have a fully functional vehicle with power, brakes, and tracking at the tune of say...1200-1500lbs and RWD.

Lights would be easy to run and would be hard mounted to the frame.

Now the body. The body would probably have a sheet of sheetmetal placed for the floor. Fiberglass would be formed around the body (where I wanted it) and I would steal a motorcycle windshield to place for wind deflectors.

At this point...I would have a fun-ass car that could be street legal, and still taken to the track. Lightweight, and plenty of power to back it. It would be open cockpit...so AC isn't neccessary.

Basically, I've seen the way Panteras, Elises, and Atoms, and I've got a good understanding of how to do it. It's just having the geometric shapes, angles, and placements with proper structural support and braces. As for the shape and body, the look of it would be VERY much similar to that of the Atom...just...different body panels. But the front would still come down to angle similar to the atom.

Being that I've got access in the shop, and plenty of connections, I don't think many would have a hard time helping me out to perfect it...so long as they got recognized. No...not looking for freebies. But a car that's hand-built, hand-made...if done properly...is going to turn a butt-load of heads. I'm not doing it for recognition and attention. I wanna build it because I love cars...and it'll be my masterpiece to prove I can build a car...and to prove my knowledge. Plus...it's a challenge. A challenge I think I can accomplish...

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions...wanna help? Wanna donate? Parts, cash, beer?

Get talking. I think it'd be fun as ****.

Halfwit
10-05-2007, 09:56 PM
love the concept, but the only problem is make sure you research exactly what it needs to be legal, and im guessing getting it street legal is going to be frustrating, but if you do, they are some of the most amazing cars u can see. amazing auto x.

i want to do something similar, but with a already made go-kart frame, and jsut modify it and install d series motor. rwd, 100 whp, MAYBE 600 lbs. and dreeeeeeft it
s

bigdare23
10-05-2007, 09:57 PM
love the concept, but the only problem is make sure you research exactly what it needs to be legal, and im guessing getting it street legal is going to be frustrating, but if you do, they are some of the most amazing cars u can see. amazing auto x.

i want to do something similar, but with a already made go-kart frame, and jsut modify it and install d series motor. rwd, 100 whp, MAYBE 600 lbs. and dreeeeeeft it
s

and kill yourself LOL

I told joker the idea seems cool as hell, but when take time, money, and patients!

EvasiveEF9
10-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Haha, halfwit, you traitor...you WOULD wanna drift, wouldn't you...

The concept is awesome...straight up. The problem WOULD be getting it legalized, but I've already gone a step with it. Being that I'd be building it myself, it would be registered as a "kit car" and just about the only things I'm REQUIRED are going to be the typical functions (brakes, steering, etc) and I can only take up one lane of road at a time (no "wide load" trucks to accompany me) seat belts (which...I'm not sure they'd even be required) a tag, and then lights and an inspection by the DOT.

As for AutoX...sure, I'd probably take it out...but I wouldn't so much do it to compete as I would just for bragging rights and a sense of accomplishment.

Why would you go with an already made go-kart frame? Do you mean take an actual go-kart, cut off the ass, and re-do that? Hmm...

PS-Saw you at IS this past weekend. Sorry I missed you. Was too busy trying to make sure my cooling system was working properly.

EvasiveEF9
10-05-2007, 10:03 PM
and kill yourself LOL

I told joker the idea seems cool as hell, but when take time, money, and patients!
Patience would be my biggest issue...

Time, yeah...but I've got that. Gave Dare a rough idea of how I got ****ed by the green-card mother ****** that hit me (not that I'm getting racist...) And money? Hell...I've GOT most of the parts. Most I'd spend money on would be getting the frame/chassis done...cuz the welder/machine guy would have to have the PERFECT angles, and welds would have to be awesome...flawless...

ash7
10-06-2007, 03:01 AM
If you can't put years of work into something like this, it isn't worth doing....

Some of the guys that come into my shop that have built their own aircraft from scratch have spent the better part of the past six years assembling them... that's not including sourcing the parts and having everything custom made.

The results are amazing, their planes are immaculte, and they watch me like a freakin hawk when I'm installing their avionics for them.... kinda irritating, but hey, what can you do?

Take your sweet time... and don't set benchmarks for yourself. If you don't feel like working on the car that evening, then don't. Work you don't want to do often gets done the wrong way or with mistakes. -just a tad bit of fatherly advice-

-jonathan

jfrolang
10-06-2007, 08:22 AM
I think you underestimate the costs involved, money and time to the extreme. I agree with 7.

EvasiveEF9
10-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Rex7, I understand the patience and "takes time" factor. If I don't complete the project before I leave (which I doubt I will) it'll probably be put away in storage until I return, or I'll sell off the project and start fresh when I get back. As of now, it's nothing more than a pipedream...

JFRO - I don't doubt the cost is going to be rather high. I really don't mind it (granted...it's hind-sight that's 2020) because I'd be doing something absolutely incredible. I definitly agree with 7...undoubtedly. But it's still something I would highly be interested in doing. As stated earlier...I think it's time that would be my biggest enemy...

Halfwit
10-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Haha, halfwit, you traitor...you WOULD wanna drift, wouldn't you...

The concept is awesome...straight up. The problem WOULD be getting it legalized, but I've already gone a step with it. Being that I'd be building it myself, it would be registered as a "kit car" and just about the only things I'm REQUIRED are going to be the typical functions (brakes, steering, etc) and I can only take up one lane of road at a time (no "wide load" trucks to accompany me) seat belts (which...I'm not sure they'd even be required) a tag, and then lights and an inspection by the DOT.

As for AutoX...sure, I'd probably take it out...but I wouldn't so much do it to compete as I would just for bragging rights and a sense of accomplishment.

Why would you go with an already made go-kart frame? Do you mean take an actual go-kart, cut off the ass, and re-do that? Hmm...

PS-Saw you at IS this past weekend. Sorry I missed you. Was too busy trying to make sure my cooling system was working properly.
i would do it wit ha go kart frame because it would jsut be something to **** around with, no street. take around neighborhood, take tothe woods, basiacally try to break it, then fix it (d series ftw)

EvasiveEF9
10-06-2007, 02:29 PM
i would do it wit ha go kart frame because it would jsut be something to **** around with, no street. take around neighborhood, take tothe woods, basiacally try to break it, then fix it (d series ftw)
Lemmee know if you need parts...cleaning the garage, and these are some goodies I found...

1 LS TB
1 D15B2 IM
1 D15B2 DPFI stack
3 Bseries starters
2 Dseries starters
2 Bseries alt
1 Dseries alt
1 MPFI OBD0 harness w/ resistor box
2 MPFI OBD1 harness
2 AC Compressors
1 OBD2 LS dizzy
1 OBD0 Dseries dizzy
1 EF Condensor
1 DA Condensor
2 Radiator fans
1 AC Fan
1 set rear DA brakes
1 set front DA brakes
2 sets B-series axles
1 set 14" steelies
1 Dseries trans
1 D15B2 complete and running
1 OBD1 PR4 ECU
1 OBD0 PM9 ECU
**** ton of motor mounts
1 LS OBD0 downpipe
2 dseries EM heatshields
2 bseries EM heatshields for OBD1
1 VSS
god knows how many TPS, IAPV, etc sensors and ****...
2 OBD0 o2 sensors
1 OBD1 o2 sensor
1 Dseries water pump NIB
1 LS dizzy cap NIB
1 CV boot
1 90-91 CRx black cluster cover
2 battery tie-downs
1 extra jack
1 extra spare tire

Still finding more...