PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about building...

EvasiveEF9
10-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Mostly this thread is for Dare and I to discuss some things that we spoke of on the phone...and I don't wanna take it to PMs cuz I know my box will fill WAY too quick, and I wouldn't mind having other people's opinions, too.

Please...don't post things like "That'd be cool" and such...causing pages to fill quickly. Only post if you've really got an idea or thought on it such as "Well, what about doing..." or "what if you..." Oh, and also, no posts like "You were considering this?" etc...I've got many builds/setups running through my head, right now...so don't be shocked at what I've been thinking...

I would GREATLY appreciate it. Hate to sound like a di[k but I'm too A.D.D. and I'll lost thought of the main topic...

TOPIC:::

Alright, dare...we discussed swaps and stuff, and how to build. What exactly were you saying...b20 w/ si head? What kind of power would that yield, and such? Let's get more into detail...

I was mainly considering LSTurbo vs. LSVTEC...but now we've got other ideas on the table...

bigdare23
10-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Sorry for responding late. I'll post up the links soon!

bigdare23
10-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Check out this 1st
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1676914

This would motivate the hell out of ya
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1555476

Then tell me what you think

Here's the place with the cheap b20s
http://www.jprmotor.com/

EvasiveEF9
10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
**** you, dare...seriously...**** you.

You realize if I do this...in my garage I'll have...

Extra hatchback
1 B18LS OBD0
1 B18LS OBD1
2 D15B2 OBD0
1 D15 Tranny
1 B20 head

...and all of this is just extra...extra **** I'll have laying around...

...I'm gonna need storage...

I'll be looking more into it, for sure. But...damn, I've gotta sell some ****...

bigdare23
10-05-2007, 10:24 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1281/544133493_4c71285eb1.jpg?v=0

EvasiveEF9
10-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Oops...got my threads mixed up. Ignore this one.

SL65AMG
10-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Still gonna need the funding to get the frame off the ground...

Really...that's the starting point at which there would be NO turning back...

Who's good with autocad...? Or can someone get a hold of a copy? :)

so what is it exactly that you're trying to do?.... to your car that is

EvasiveEF9
10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Ignore this post...got my threads mixed up...

SL65AMG
10-06-2007, 02:21 PM
To MY car? Nothing. I'll still have two hatches...but...they'll be slowed on progress if I go all out with this new project. The hatches will have nothing to do with this except that I may get some part from them for the project (not neccessarily off MY cars, but EF's)

so whats the project? an all out show car?

EvasiveEF9
10-06-2007, 02:33 PM
...oops. Got my threads mixed up...

For this project, we're considering B20VTEC. The car will be for track only...all out. I don't expect to dominate, or anything. Just something to track in. Autocross suspension is already installed...just want more power. See how fast I can make one go. My other hatch (the DD) will be kept slim on mods so it'll pass the sniffer and have AC and crap...when I wanna drive the speed-demon on the streets, I'll just slide the tag over :goodjob: LoL They're both 91 hatches.

mocha latte cupcake
10-06-2007, 02:37 PM

For this project, we're considering B20VTEC. The car will be for track only...all out. I don't expect to dominate, or anything. Just something to track in. Autocross suspension is already installed...just want more power. See how fast I can make one go. My other hatch (the DD) will be kept slim on mods so it'll pass the sniffer and have AC and crap...when I wanna drive the speed-demon on the streets, I'll just slide the tag over :goodjob: LoL They're both 91 hatches.

wow funny you actually brought this up... i'm actually in the process of helping my buddy build his B20/VTEC with a 60 trim right now, we're finishing it up today . i'll send you a list of mods and #'s when we get back fromt he dyno tonight we're hoping for 260's on it. wish us luck. but yeah a LS/Vtec turbo would be ideal i'd say keep it on a LOW end turbo if your wanting to do Auto X. i mean quick spool is my main goal in life, and if your going to be in technical course with alot of turns and not too many straight aways massive power REALLY isn't something you want or need. a LSD would be the perfect addition to it. hope this is helpful from a outsider's POV :yes:

SL65AMG
10-06-2007, 08:54 PM

ive got a plan to put a b20 vtec in my crx. god luck man. id LOVE to get in on this build and help ya out. just LMK

mocha latte cupcake
10-06-2007, 11:07 PM
well kids heres the mods list and the #'s as promised

301 whp / 245 wtq (12 psi)
B20z
P72 head
JG Edelbrock Performer X Intake Manifold
Drag stage 3 log style exhaust manifold
GReddy RS bov
Tial 38mm external wastegate (10 psi spring i believe)
440cc RC Engineering Injectors
Apexi Vafc
Magnaflow 2.5 catback and 3 inch DP

car made 263 and 220 at 10 pounds

SL65AMG
10-07-2007, 08:20 AM
well kids heres the mods list and the #'s as promised

301 whp / 245 wtq (12 psi)
B20z
P72 head
JG Edelbrock Performer X Intake Manifold
Drag stage 3 log style exhaust manifold
GReddy RS bov
Tial 38mm external wastegate (10 psi spring i believe)
440cc RC Engineering Injectors
Apexi Vafc
Magnaflow 2.5 catback and 3 inch DP

car made 263 and 220 at 10 pounds
damn..... and thats on a stock block and head????? sheesh

thats a phuck ton of torque

mocha latte cupcake
10-07-2007, 08:43 AM
yeah stock block and head. only problem is we're having issues with the wastegate.... i mean externals are supposed to be more accurate at holding boost and this one kept spiking to 13. so we have to change out the spring to a 8 psi one and we're pretty sure it will raise the boost to around 10 or 11 anyways. he's pretty happy with the numbers but after every run the #'s would go up... it went from 240, 264, 275, 301.... the TQ remained around the same 20 hp... but we didn't want to chance the block. we were pretty sure the next run would be our last if the #'s kept going up like they were and we didn't want to have the problem of spiking to 15 or something and cracking a sleeve. but yeah overall we're pretty happy with'm.

i hope this helps guys

SL65AMG
10-07-2007, 08:51 AM
you put 13 psi through a stock b20 block.....

we should start taking bets on how long it is till that bish cracks

but props anyways

mocha latte cupcake
10-07-2007, 12:18 PM
no we didn't PURPOSELY put 13 psi through it lol.... it spiked and held from 7-8200. on the very last run, we shut down after that. believe me i'd be takin bets on that it wouldn't last 2 weeks lol. but yeah we just ordered the 8 psi spring and we'll re tune it hopefully this up coming friday. TRUST ME it wasn't intentional in anyway... sigh stupid external wastegates!

EvasiveEF9
10-07-2007, 05:02 PM
**ideas are churning...**

SL65AMG
10-07-2007, 05:21 PM
yo evasive when you plan on doing this build? id like to help unless youre opposed to that idea

heres an idea for you.... something i hope to do.

first off i wanna build an all motor b20 vtec and id be happy w/ 230 whp. lol who wouldnt?

also when i buy my b20 motor im gonna buy 2.... so after im finished with the NA one i wanna build a turbo one. cuz ill learn a lot on the first build that i could apply to the 2nd build.... 500 whp maybe?

mocha latte cupcake
10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
lol 500 hp isn't too much of a stretch mind you you're lag would most likely be never ending, and if your going to spend 7000 might as well spend 10000 and get it all done that CAN be done. if GSR's can do 470's then a B20 can do just as good! i say go for it... but a B20Z around 230 is a great car i drove my buddies today (stayed below 6600) I KNOW I KNOW barely any vtec (stock engagement points) but it still ran great! perfect response and good linear band.

best of luck guys! lemme know if can lend a hand or help with anything... the EF squad is my family bwhahah and i don't even own a honda bwhwha

SL65AMG
10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
lol 500 hp isn't too much of a stretch mind you you're lag would most likely be never ending, and if your going to spend 7000 might as well spend 10000 and get it all done that CAN be done. if GSR's can do 470's then a B20 can do just as good! i say go for it... but a B20Z around 230 is a great car i drove my buddies today (stayed below 6600) I KNOW I KNOW barely any vtec (stock engagement points) but it still ran great! perfect response and good linear band.

best of luck guys! lemme know if can lend a hand or help with anything... the EF squad is my family bwhahah and i don't even own a honda bwhwha

i plan on doing a full build on both. not one stock part is gonna be used. only the block, but itll be sleeved and bored out to 85mm. :goodjob: :goodjob: i cant wait.... ill need some massive funds though so i mean realistically it might be a year before im done(with the first motor).... im just dreaming at this point.

and back to evasives plan... lets hear it.

EvasiveEF9
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
yo evasive when you plan on doing this build? id like to help unless youre opposed to that idea

heres an idea for you.... something i hope to do.

first off i wanna build an all motor b20 vtec and id be happy w/ 230 whp. lol who wouldnt?

also when i buy my b20 motor im gonna buy 2.... so after im finished with the NA one i wanna build a turbo one. cuz ill learn a lot on the first build that i could apply to the 2nd build.... 500 whp maybe?
I'm never opposed to having a helping hand... Hell, I had a check that knew nothing about cars, and a guy with no experience (just a LITTLE bit of basic car knowledge) help me in doing my LS-EF OBD1 project.

As for when...I'm not sure. I'm merely in the planning/blue-printing stages right now. So when you're thinking of buying your B20's, let me know...maybe we'll make a purchase of 3 at once and get some kind of discount :crazy:

SL65AMG
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
pm sent

mocha latte cupcake
10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
lol group buys ftw!

EvasiveEF9
10-07-2007, 08:28 PM
i plan on doing a full build on both. not one stock part is gonna be used. only the block, but itll be sleeved and bored out to 85mm. :goodjob: :goodjob: i cant wait.... ill need some massive funds though so i mean realistically it might be a year before im done(with the first motor).... im just dreaming at this point.

and back to evasives plan... lets hear it.
Plan? Still underway. I've only started researching and conjuring the project...

I'll probably keep the block at 84mm instead of boring over. Baller on a budget, here, but I do wanna see some numbers. The plan as of now is to have the ability to punt the naked/empty shoebox down the quarter in the 12's. Even high 12's. Doing this would satisfy me, enough. Anything more will just end with more bugs on my windshield of pleasure.

As of right now this is all I know I'll be doing...

Machine shop in acworth will be doing all of my work (which reminds me I need to refer him to someone) He's been doing my work for years, and I have yet to have a complaint.

Batlground will be doing all/any tuning neccessary. The guys down there have one hell of a reputation that has been well-earned, and I've had a few personal references to them.

As for my brakes, I'll be considering swapping back to the stock EF brakes in the front for a little less weight. Given this car will see some mountain and track time, though...the de-conversion has me in question over what I'll do. After all...I'm a twisties-driver. Not a straight line driver.

I'll be taking the LS tranny I have now, pulling it out, re-building it with carbon synchros from c-speed. 3rd gear may get replaced...if I replace it, 4th gear will probably get some work, as well. Otherwise, I like my long gears. 5th gear will remain LS so that when I AM on the highways, it doesn't get annoying... The tranny will have LSD installed. Tranny will remain cable...

As for the motor, I don't have much of the planning done...all I know is I wanna spool fast and be in the 200+hp range...and I'm gonna try to do it NA on pump gas. If I fail...well...mini-snail will be on the way.
Aftermarket rods (man. to be decided)
Aftermarket Pistons (man./dome to be decided)
Honed/crosshatched walls
Blockgaurd
balanced crank
ported oil squirts (I wanna make sure the ***** gets all the oil she needs)

Top end (PR3, most likely. If I go turbo, it'll probably go p75)) will receive larger valves, springs, retainers, port/polish, milled on a 1layer head gasket. Cams to be decided. Cam gears by skunk2 (likely)

Exhaust will probably be custom made 2 or 2.25 all the way back. No cat.

Any pieces will be BNIB OEM Honda Parts (unless of course it's not made by Honda. Point is...we're not going to Autozone for this stuff...)

As for turbo...if I GO that route...you'll be informed later as for how I'll do it. For now we're shooting for NA build...I think my goals and aspirations are manageable with NA.

As you can see...I've got a LONG shopping list. IF the project goes through...I don't expect it to even be started til...what...December? Because before I can work on this project, I've gotta get the OTHER hatch in my posession, torn down, painted, and reassembled the way I want it. THEN...I can buy the block/crate motor and move forth with the project.

EvasiveEF9
10-07-2007, 08:32 PM
pm sent
Returned.

lol group buys ftw!
Well, hell yeah. Discounts OWN. You need one?

mocha latte cupcake
10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
lol i actually might have the chance to grab myself a EF8 lol. you kids have wayyy too much fun for me not to have one to mess around with one day lol. Lucy is takin all my money right now though... i'll take you up on discounts if you know someone at GReddy... problem is the only way i'm gettin a better deal through them is if i blow someone lol and i don't think there are any girls that work there so i'm still sittin at cost!...

ATTN: GReddy SPONSOR ME ALREADY DANG IT!

but yeah! i can't wait to see what you and AMG decide to do! consider me subscribed here! :D

EvasiveEF9
10-07-2007, 08:47 PM
lol i actually might have the chance to grab myself a EF8 lol. you kids have wayyy too much fun for me not to have one to mess around with one day lol. Lucy is takin all my money right now though... i'll take you up on discounts if you know someone at GReddy... problem is the only way i'm gettin a better deal through them is if i blow someone lol and i don't think there are any girls that work there so i'm still sittin at cost!...

ATTN: GReddy SPONSOR ME ALREADY DANG IT!

but yeah! i can't wait to see what you and AMG decide to do! consider me subscribed here! :D
First thing's first. Get an EF.

mocha latte cupcake
10-07-2007, 08:48 PM
lol yeah its on the list of things... it'll be my DD... i'll end up with a ZC though if i have my way.... i've got a soft spot for'm

Black R
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
i don't like some of the ideas you have on your shopping list.

why keep that dog ass ls tranny? it is a budget constraint?

a stock ls or stock b20 can take 14psi, so if you had one like that and ran 10psi all day it would be a lot of fun. get an obx lsd for cheap and a turbo or blower for all the tq a honda can't put down to the front wheels anyway. :)

oh yeah, for turbo don't go less than 3" on the exhaust.

bigdare23
10-09-2007, 11:47 AM
i don't like some of the ideas you have on your shopping list.

why keep that dog ass ls tranny? it is a budget constraint?

a stock ls or stock b20 can take 14psi, so if you had one like that and ran 10psi all day it would be a lot of fun. get an obx lsd for cheap and a turbo or blower for all the tq a honda can't put down to the front wheels anyway. :)

oh yeah, for turbo don't go less than 3" on the exhaust.

Black R has spoken :lmfao:

:goodjob: