PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Jeep Returning to Military Service

VooDooXII
10-03-2007, 10:30 AM
conic off-roader returns to its storied roots with J8 multipurpose model primarily developed for military use – but also suitable for civilian government applications

Auburn Hills, Mich., Sep 18, 2007 - Chrysler LLC unveiled the Jeep® J8 multipurpose vehicle at the 2007 Defence Systems & Equipment International (DSEi) military trade show, making the legendary vehicle available for reenlistment in active military service.
“Jeep vehicles made their original debut in 1941 for military duty, and have built their reputation with more than 65 years as the world’s benchmark for off-road capability and versatility for civilian and military vehicles,” said Thomas Hausch, Vice President – International Sales, Chrysler LLC. “The new Jeep J8 marks the brand’s return to vehicle production for military and civilian government use – the same capability that makes the Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited famous also makes the Jeep J8 a truly multipurpose vehicle.”

With the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited as the starting point, Jeep engineers increased its capability and versatility. The frame of the Wrangler Unlimited is reinforced for increased ruggedness and to allow greater payloads – up to a maximum of 1,339 kg (2,952 lbs.). Axles, brakes and suspension components are engineered specifically for more demanding military and civilian government use, including utilizing a leaf-spring suspension system in the rear. The J8’s Command-Trac® four-wheel-drive system allows maximum versatility and performance in both on- and off-road conditions.

The Jeep J8 is powered by a 2.8-litre four-cylinder turbodiesel engine that produces 118 kW (158 hp) and 400 N•m (295 lb.-ft.) of torque, providing towing capability of up to 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs.). The engine is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. The J8 also features a unique air-intake system with special filtration and a hood-mounted snorkel that enables the J8 to ford water up to 762 mm (30 in.) deep and operate in sandstorm conditions for up to five hours.

The Jeep J8 is available as a two-door with an extended pickup bed for personnel or equipment transport, or a four-door multipurpose vehicle. It may be produced with numerous vehicle-body and seating configurations in either right-hand or left-hand drive.

While not designed for front-line combat operations, the Jeep J8 is fully armour capable and excels in a variety of duties ranging from command vehicle to troop/cargo carrier, ambulance, communications vehicle and other duties – also making it suitable for civilian government applications. Tow eyes and heavy-duty bumpers allow the Jeep J8 to be easily transported by airplane or helicopter.

The Jeep J8 will be produced in a Chrysler LLC joint-venture facility in Cairo, Egypt, and will be available beginning in spring 2008.

Jeep in the Military

In June 1941, the U.S. Army received its first shipments of the Willys MA, the rugged 4x4 vehicle that came to be called the Jeep. This predecessor to today’s Jeep Wrangler would prove so vital to the Allies’ World War II effort that Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower declared that the war could not have been won without the Jeep vehicle.

Jeep vehicles have been produced for various militaries around the world. The Jeep J8 marks the start of Jeep’s renewed commitment to supply the defence community with the highest-quality 4x4 vehicles available anywhere in the world.
http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2008/top-2008-Jeep-J8.htm

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/ghij/2008-Jeep-J8-Front-Angle-Forest-1280x960.jpg
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2008/ghij/2008-Jeep-J8-Front-Angle-Drive-1280x960.jpg

I wonder if they'll release civilian versions...or at least ones with that diesel engine. I like the new Wrangler Unlimiteds, and I think they'd be bad-ass with a diesel engine.

Also...how do you think they'll stack up to what we currently have over there. The Hummers have lots of problems don't they? I don't know if these would be used for the same duties though.

Ran
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Kinda sad that the Wrangler Unlimited looks more like a Hummer than the new Hummers do.

SL65AMG
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Hummers will NEVER be replaced by a damn JEEP!!!!! wtf.

HUMMER>>>>>>>>JEEP :goodjob:

a hummer is a real 4x4 a jeep is a teenager's toy

JITB
10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
The Hummer went hollywood and turned into a lil *****.....so they went back to the good ole gangsta JEEP!!

BKgen®
10-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Hummers will NEVER be replaced by a damn JEEP!!!!! wtf.

HUMMER>>>>>>>>JEEP :goodjob:

a hummer is a real 4x4 a jeep is a teenager's toy

:umno:

Jeep INVENTED the military 4x4, genius.

LQQKITZME
10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
The new hummer is a damn over priced Tahoe with a body kit

LQQKITZME
10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
:umno:

Jeep INVENTED the military 4x4, genius.

+1

Crazy Asian
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
WOOO old willy. Hahaha watch Arnold is gonna sell all his Hummer's and get them Jeeps. LOL!!

VooDooXII
10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
These Wranglers will be more useable than the Hummers, I think.

The Yousef
10-03-2007, 10:26 PM
H1 are still the ****...

SixSquared
10-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Have you SEEN the hummer off road videos? Seriously... the H1 is a badass, yes, but the H2 and H3 are PUSSIES. My favorite vid is a guy in his H2, talking a bunch of smack about "big daddy's coming out to play with the pups". He was doing ok on the rock trail, then he was coming up a rocky hill, started losing traction, gunned it and wedged himself between two large rocks.. the front wheels were pointing towards each other and the axles had been ripped out from the front diff.

Big daddy... sure.

Awesome write up about the jeep. Good to see they're getting back to their military roots.

But on a sidenote... notice how the y8 seems almost specifically designed for sand conditions? Tan color, even mentions being able to operate in a sandstorm for up to 5 hours, but it only goes through 30" of water?

It's not racism... it's profiling.

OneSlow5pt0
10-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Jeep Willy is king

but i like this new jeep,as awesome as the H1 is the H2 and H3 has killed thier image as the ultimate offroad machine,just like old landrovers are so bad,but the damn rangerover has almost ruined thier image too

Alan®
10-03-2007, 10:40 PM
the hummer will eventually pe replaced but as the write up says this is not ready for the front lines. The H1's I think are the only Hummers that are still made by American General as the H2's and H3's are straight garbage. I'm a military brat and having experinced the humver's capabilities off road and the h2's in ability off road there is simply no comparison. i think that the jeep will be a good on base and maybe training vehicle but i don't see these making it to the front lines.m :2cents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU9h-ZTBJQ0

VooDooXII
10-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Have you SEEN the hummer off road videos? Seriously... the H1 is a badass, yes, but the H2 and H3 are PUSSIES. My favorite vid is a guy in his H2, talking a bunch of smack about "big daddy's coming out to play with the pups". He was doing ok on the rock trail, then he was coming up a rocky hill, started losing traction, gunned it and wedged himself between two large rocks.. the front wheels were pointing towards each other and the axles had been ripped out from the front diff.

Big daddy... sure.

That video is hilarious... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMTRxIknpw)

I though he snapped his tie-rod or something. :thinking:

This is how it's supposed to be done. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmRSoUtYuA)

The H1 is unstoppable...I mean 16" of ground clearance...and the newer Alphas with that Duramax Diesel...that's the only real Hummer.

Jeep Willy is king

but i like this new jeep,as awesome as the H1 is the H2 and H3 has killed thier image as the ultimate offroad machine,just like old landrovers are so bad,but the damn rangerover has almost ruined thier image too

I don't think Land Rover really lost its image...I mean the Range Rover was a luxury vehicle that could tackle almost any off-road condition thrown at it. The new Range Rover is extremely capable off road, and its luxury appointments best some of the top class sedans that are on the market.

Damn, I want a Range Rover HSE Supercharged...

OneSlow5pt0
10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
That video is hilarious... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSMTRxIknpw)

I though he snapped his tie-rod or something. :thinking:

This is how it's supposed to be done. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmRSoUtYuA)

The H1 is unstoppable...I mean 16" of ground clearance...and the newer Alphas with that Duramax Diesel...that's the only real Hummer.

I don't think Land Rover really lost its image...I mean the Range Rover was a luxury vehicle that could tackle almost any off-road condition thrown at it. The new Range Rover is extremely capable off road, and its luxury appointments best some of the top class sedans that are on the market.

Damn, I want a Range Rover HSE Supercharged...
\

yea but u got all the fools putting chrome on them and throwing 24's on them,thats not what thier ment for

also Defender 90 > rangerover:D

speedminded
10-04-2007, 02:51 PM
That Jeep is way too lightweight to see the front lines, any serious action, or heavy duties.

I want a Land Rover or Ranger Rover with a Duramax or Powerstroke diesel and converted to 2wd or part-time 4wd.

Ran
10-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I want a Land Rover or Ranger Rover with a Duramax or Powerstroke diesel and converted to 2wd or part-time 4wd.Why would you want a Land Rover anything? Not bashing, just a serious question. They're some of the worst vehicles on the market.