PDA

View Full Version : Just gotta 240... Throw a headgasket on that...

kwhudge
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok guys. Ive just started tinkering with my first s-14. It ran before I changed the head gasket. Now it's back together.. I attempted to fire it up today and it just turns over and does not run. The firing order on the dizzy is correct,brand new plugs. The EGR **** is gone but the part on the exhaust and intake manifold are just open. And theres one hose under the intake manifold that I can't seem to get on. I'm not sure where it goes or what it is. If anyone has any hints or advice for me to get my s-14 running it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Benefit
10-02-2007, 12:21 AM
make sure the timing is on , meaning its on TDC while the #1 cam lobes are facing outwards and the mating marks are correct...then make sure the distributer is stabbed right...

SE-Rious1
10-02-2007, 12:25 AM
if the hole on the intake mani is open id assume its leaking or sucking to much air
and are you using starting fluid to help see if it does anything ?

Benefit
10-02-2007, 01:25 AM
dont use starter fluid , it wont fix anything...even with a hole in the intake mani it will still turn over but probably stumble...i would start by checking timing and making sure the dizzy is in right. check if you are getting fuel/spark, pull fuses..

greasemunkey
10-02-2007, 02:49 AM
just an fyi, if you know things still aren't connected do not attempt to start it, just look over everything again, a vaccum tube unhooked completely, will most likely not allow it to start. g/l

jamesgibson0
10-02-2007, 05:45 PM
just say f@#$ your ka and get an sr20det

SE-Rious1
10-02-2007, 06:25 PM
dont use starter fluid , it wont fix anything...even with a hole in the intake mani it will still turn over but probably stumble...i would start by checking timing and making sure the dizzy is in right. check if you are getting fuel/spark, pull fuses..
didnt say it would fix it but can help dicide if its getting fuel and plus not such a strain starting i just rebiult a 240 that sat for about 8 months and it wasnt turning over and i used starting fluid to get it started easier and to also find out it wasnt getting good gas but hey its just a helper ive used it all my years when working on a car thats sat un ran or just rebuilt

Benefit
10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
ive heard of engines catching on fire with that ****

SE-Rious1
10-02-2007, 08:29 PM
ive heard of engines catching on fire with that ****
lol it can if u get spray happy lol

TheSnail
10-02-2007, 08:55 PM
You sure your crank to cam timing aint 180deg off? pull your first spark plug out, stick in a screwdriver/rod/sistersdildo and see if its at tdc.

TheSnail
10-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Also, check to make sure the fuel lines are not backwards. Seems to be a common mistake

kwhudge
10-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Whats if its not TDC. How would I Get it there ?

Benefit
10-04-2007, 01:27 PM
spin the crank pulley so it points to the 2nd mark to the left...have your valve cover off until you see the 2 black marks lined up with the cam marks...if they are not , then line them up