PDA

View Full Version : brake master tech??????

Wurm
10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I know someone on here is a brake tech and i got a question

alright when you install a new master cylinder you are suppose to use a push rod clearance tool to measure the distance between the master cylinder and when the booster push rod makes clearance.

I cant find the tool and i know someone has another way to do it since im guessing you do stuff like this on a daily basis

redrumracer
10-01-2007, 07:43 PM
if its stock replacement just put in on and make sure they work fine and ride. dont over overthink the situation

Wurm
10-01-2007, 07:44 PM
if its stock replacement just put in on and make sure they work fine and ride. dont over overthink the situation
I have to to get the optimum performance of my brakes plus they just dont feel right

redrumracer
10-01-2007, 07:45 PM
in what way

Wurm
10-01-2007, 07:47 PM
too much free play. the brakes work fine but the point of engagement is horrible

Echonova
10-01-2007, 07:49 PM
in what wayGenerally he presses on the brake pedal with both feet, while standing up in the car, while screaming like a little girl because the car won't stop. I'm guessing a soft pedal....

Edit: D'oh I've been :ninja: 'd

Wurm
10-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Generally he presses on the brake pedal with both feet, while standing up in the car, while screaming like a little girl because the car won't stop. I'm guessing a soft pedal....

Edit: D'oh I've been :ninja: 'd
lirl i do worry because of the free play for engagement

Echonova
10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Is there not a adjustment screw on the back of the peddle assembly?

Wurm
10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Is there not a adjustment screw on the back of the peddle assembly?

yes but i need to measure the push rod clearance before adjusting

Echonova
10-01-2007, 07:59 PM
yes but i need to measure the push rod clearance before adjustingPshhh, turn it 5 times and drive around the block. If you survive, you will have a better idea whether to keep turning or back it off a bit. It's the only scientific way to do it....

redrumracer
10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Pshhh, turn it 5 times and drive around the block. If you survive, you will have a better idea whether to keep turning or back it off a bit. It's the only scientific way to do it....

lol thats a horrible way but :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Echonova
10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Well, I'm no brake tech.. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Wurm
10-01-2007, 08:05 PM
lol yeah they make a tool for measuring but no one seems to carry it so i have to resort to alternative methods

Echonova
10-01-2007, 08:08 PM
so i have to resort to alternative methods12 pack and no fear, will do the trick everytime.

Echonova
10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
But seriously, if you figure something out let me know. I'm switching to some HUGE calipers and will probably have similar issues with pedal feel.

Init2winit
10-01-2007, 09:16 PM
lol yeah they make a tool for measuring but no one seems to carry it so i have to resort to alternative methodsNo one carries them because it is a useless tool, and common sense plays a major factor in automobile repair. I don't think you need to be messing with brakes, of all things.

Wurm
10-01-2007, 09:41 PM
No one carries them because it is a useless tool, and common sense plays a major factor in automobile repair. I don't think you need to be messing with brakes, of all things.
WELL THANKS FOR THE POSTIVE RE-ENFORCEMENT

I have came up with plenty of different ways to do it but i would rather use the tool that the service manual called for so i wont have any doubts that it was done right. Im sorry not everyone grew up around cars or had some around to teach them. No one has ever did any work on any of my cars nor has anyone ever taught me anything about cars. I buy a factory service manual on all my cars and then i scour the web reading tutorials. Besides its the last thing to do on my brakes anyways considering i already installed new rotors pads brake lines calipers master cylinder and brake booster. ok last thing besides proportional valve and hard lines

mocha latte cupcake
10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
ok well bigger brakes and not full engagement is not the "position" of the piston inside the master cylinder its called not moving enough fluid and generating enough pressure to full release the piston in the caliper itself. therefore if you've upgraded your piston distance and additional pistons then you might wanna upgrade your MC.

or mess with your propotioning(sp?) valve.

Wurm
10-01-2007, 09:48 PM
ok well bigger brakes and not full engagement is not the "position" of the piston inside the master cylinder its called not moving enough fluid and generating enough pressure to full release the piston in the caliper itself. therefore if you've upgraded your piston distance and additional pistons then you might wanna upgrade your MC.

or mess with your propotioning(sp?) valve.
oh i didnt upgrade anything just replaced it with new stuff the car had been sitting outside for a long time getting battered by the weather

mocha latte cupcake
10-01-2007, 09:50 PM
check your brake lines, Rubber is suseptable (sp?) to natures wrath. even though its not "leaking" per say it could be swelling causing a loss of pressure in your lines. a correctly working system should have a firm pedal feel. with new brake pads, rotors, lines, fluids. are you experiencing brake feel loss? or just wanting a stiffer pedal?

Wurm
10-01-2007, 09:52 PM
check your brake lines, Rubber is suseptable (sp?) to natures wrath. even though its not "leaking" per say it could be swelling causing a loss of pressure in your lines. a correctly working system should have a firm pedal feel. with new brake pads, rotors, lines, fluids. are you experiencing brake feel loss? or just wanting a stiffer pedal?
new brake lines s.s. lines

nah no brake loss i just want them to engage quicker when i hit the pedal if u know what i mean

Wurm
10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake05.pdf

page 53 is a alternative why just in case someone else is wanting to do it

mocha latte cupcake
10-01-2007, 10:04 PM
ahhh i see.... i've never had to do that.... but i can understand the reasoning... i prefer a gradual pedal... that way in the event that i do "freak out" and forget my Human ABS syndrome it won't lock up... i'll keep it in mind but i've never used one of those tools....

Wurm
10-02-2007, 04:41 AM
ahhh i see.... i've never had to do that.... but i can understand the reasoning... i prefer a gradual pedal... that way in the event that i do "freak out" and forget my Human ABS syndrome it won't lock up... i'll keep it in mind but i've never used one of those tools....
:yes: