PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belt Conversion?

Konstantin
09-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Has anyone heard of convertig a CRX to the 88 style seat belts, the body mounted (opposed to door mounted)?

I looked through CRX community but couldnt find anything.

Thanks

jfrolang
09-27-2007, 02:23 PM
It can be done, but it's not exactly simple. I know a guy that did it and he said he'd never do it again.

Basically, you'll have to weld in the mount points for the seatbelt anchors on the pillar and the floor, and also weld in the seatbelt receivers inboard of the seats. Then to finish the conversion, you need to mount the 88 doors (complete doors, including the door panels, windows and everything) and modify the door frame to accept the 88 doors.

Very simply, not worth it. Buy an 88. Or, you could be like me and wonder why everyone cares so much about pillar mounted seatbelts.

ash7
09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
It can be done, but it's not exactly simple. I know a guy that did it and he said he'd never do it again.

Very simply, not worth it. Buy an 88. Or, you could be like me and wonder why everyone cares so much about pillar mounted seatbelts.

if you want some different belts, then just save your pennies and go the Sparco seat/harness route.

-jonathan

EvasiveEF9
09-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I like the idea of them simply because that way you don't have people damaging your door panels as they shut the door before the spring takes in the seat belt...

Not enough for me to wanna convert, or anything, though. When my DD actually has interior, I'm gonna wind the piss outta those springs so it won't have that problem :)

Black R
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
mine is converted. it wasn't too bad, but my buddy did it for me.

this is on my 91 si, but it has 88 style seatbelts in it now. :)

bigdare23
09-29-2007, 09:48 AM
mine is converted. it wasn't too bad, but my buddy did it for me.

this is on my 91 si, but it has 88 style seatbelts in it now. :)

damn ball'in

Konstantin
09-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, I was thinkin bout this becuase of
a. It'll make the doors lighter
b. It'll be easier to mount an a-pillar bar without cutting into the plastic trim
c. it looks better imo
d. you can have the door open with your seatbelt on

just some things off the topof my head. Plus I just think door mounted seat belts look weird. Not to mention it it sturdier to have them on the car itself and not on the doors for safety purposes.

bigdare23
09-29-2007, 12:37 PM
88 FTMFW!!!

jfrolang
09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
buy an 88. It's so much easier. There are problems in doing the conversion completely and correctly, because you need to find so many parts.

Just off the top of my head:

seatbelts obviously with all the hardware
complete doors with nothing missing (good luck finding a clean pair of complete 88 doors) ($$$)
seatbelt receivers
B-pillar trim

The time and energy you'd spend sourcing these parts would be better spent in finding a clean 88.

I realize I sound like I'm being debbie downer over here but converting doesn't make any sense to me.

bigdare23
09-29-2007, 12:52 PM
buy an 88. It's so much easier. There are problems in doing the conversion completely and correctly, because you need to find so many parts.

Just off the top of my head:

seatbelts obviously with all the hardware
complete doors with nothing missing (good luck finding a clean pair of complete 88 doors) ($$$)
seatbelt receivers
B-pillar trim

The time and energy you'd spend sourcing these parts would be better spent in finding a clean 88.

I realize I sound like I'm being debbie downer over here but converting doesn't make any sense to me.

you wouldnt know why since you never owned an 88 :tongue1:

jfrolang
09-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Yeah I did. Did you ever see pics of my 88 HF? Actually I don't think I even told you that story...

bigdare23
09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah I did. Did you ever see pics of my 88 HF? Actually I don't think I even told you that story...

the one you sold.... :thinking:

jfrolang
09-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah. I didn't have it long.

One thing I definitely don't like about 88 seatbelts is how far you have to reach back to grab them, just so you can put them on.

But anyway, I'm gonna leave this thread alone now. I'll let you people lust over your 88 belts while I stay perfectly content with what I have. :yes: