PDA

View Full Version : Growing out of car audio?

Kyle
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Anyone have a similar experience?

I've wasted my share of money on car audio but I am considering selling it all. I guess I still like systems, but I just feel like a douche when I know other people can hear my system. Anyone else get to that point in their life?

BanginJimmy
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
I got into the whole car thing late in life so I havent gotten there yet. If you need a new vise, buy a bagged truck and hit some switches. That never gets old

GAtegs
09-27-2007, 12:57 AM
I got out of it cause I realized going fast was more fun.

I still have MUCH appreciation for a QUALITY system, not necessary loud, but good quality. I miss having a great sound system all the time but when I think about buying something, I can think of much better ways to spend the money.

Kyle
09-27-2007, 01:16 AM
I got into the whole car thing late in life so I havent gotten there yet. If you need a new vise, buy a bagged truck and hit some switches. That never gets old
Ah... I'm almost 20 and I've already had 5 different subs in my car since I was 16. If I was older it would probably be different.

Bagged truck is a little much for me but I bet it's a lot of fun.

81911SC
09-27-2007, 01:21 AM
I never got into it, I never saw the point.

Kyle
09-27-2007, 02:05 AM
I never got into it, I never saw the point.
Rear engine people don't count in car audio discussions. But if you had subs in a porsche I would fight you.

81911SC
09-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Who else bumps in the front? LOL

GTScoob
09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
I've always wanted a nice sq system in my car but its at the bottom of my modding priorities.

I do however understand the joy of driving a quiet performance car again and being able to sneak up on my roommates instead of them hearing me coming from a mile away.

BanginJimmy
09-27-2007, 06:19 AM
When I get in a position to do it I plan on building myself a nice high end SQ system, but right now I have plenty of other things to put my cash into.

R_Rated
09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I have had lots of extremely "loud" stuff and have gone all competition SQ... now i just have something that sounds incredible and I enjoy listening to. it will get more than loud enough to be uncomfortably loud and will shake my pants leg but the system I have now will never win any SPL contest by far and could probably compete for SQ but is not purpose built and problably would not win any "real" sq comps. Just get something you can be happy with. I have some IDQ10v2 subs and they are EXTREMELY light and I dare you to find a better sub that is happy in as little airspace. Plus, I have had very expensive subs... and these are cheap too.

Stol3n
09-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Who else bumps in the front? LOL

vw bug :goodjob:

I have had lots of extremely "loud" stuff and have gone all competition SQ... now i just have something that sounds incredible and I enjoy listening to. it will get more than loud enough to be uncomfortably loud and will shake my pants leg but the system I have now will never win any SPL contest by far and could probably compete for SQ but is not purpose built and problably would not win any "real" sq comps. Just get something you can be happy with. I have some IDQ10v2 subs and they are EXTREMELY light and I dare you to find a better sub that is happy in as little airspace. Plus, I have had very expensive subs... and these are cheap too.

holy run on sentence BATMAN. whew, im out of breath. i used to be into systems but it got old while i was in highschool. i realized how big of a idiot people where when they played their system at the gas pumps while they pumped gas. :rolleyes:

R_Rated
09-27-2007, 08:30 AM
vw bug :goodjob:

holy run on sentence BATMAN. whew, im out of breath. i used to be into systems but it got old while i was in highschool. i realized how big of a idiot people where when they played their system at the gas pumps while they pumped gas. :rolleyes:

I don't think it is a runon sentence:)

There are plenty of people out there with lots of $$$ in a system that does not shake the world at gas stations ;) but I agree that that is retarded.

osiriskidd
09-27-2007, 08:34 AM
quality over loud noises. i've had my first subs and amp, but after a couple of months i barely go above 1/4th of the way on the volume scale.

speedminded
09-27-2007, 09:01 AM
How many on here had huge systems through the 90s and will admit they can't hear a damn thing now? :tongue:

This is my personal view on it so take it as you wish...

I respect the time & money spent and definitely the ingenuity of building a purpose built system but excessively loud sound systems get old real fast in daily drivers. I'd much rather have high-quality mids & highs in a well insulated car with an amp, sub, & enclosure that are all matched and tuned to work together for a solid & crisp sound, I could care less if the person next to me can feel my music and the chances are they don't even want to hear it anyways.

There is plenty of times to make your music public: meets, events, beach, etc. etc. and that's when the pro concert speaker cabinets on stands come out with an extension cord or power inverter. :2cents:

BanginJimmy
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
my system was loud as hell when I had it in, it never really got old, but I got bored with it. I sold everything to start building somehting new, but I just never got around to doing it. like I said earlier, my next system is also going to be loud as hell, but the nice thing about a well built system is that the volume knob is very adjustable.

fire7882
09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
I had a MTX 7000 being pushed with 500w RMS in high school(late 90s) and I loved it for about a year but havn't owned a sub since. I still like a good balanced system but having one isn't in my priority list.

PS someone leaving their car stero turned up while at the gas station drives me crazy for some reason. Do these people not know how retarded they look?

Kyle
09-27-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm not trying to say my system is outrageously loud. I currently have 12 W6V2 and the music is balanced and not overly bass bias, but at this point an 8 inch JL or two sounds pretty good to me.

R_Rated
09-27-2007, 05:42 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/R_Rated/Stereo003.jpg

I get made fun of on the volvo boards for my "teenager looking, obnoxiously loud" system, lol. Not hardly! To me this is pretty balanced. A little too much amp for the subs but better to have too much than to lack.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/R_Rated/Stereo005.jpg

SRCRX
09-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I would say that my taste in audio has changed, It use to be about the
subs, Now it's more SQ. But I sell 12v gear all day long, So that may have
alit. to do with it But when we get demo cars in (most with lots of subs)
I get to drive them sometimes, and buy the end of the weekend
I just want my civic back...LoL

man
09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Never got into it, never will.

Ruststang
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
im getting into being debt free LOL. Ive had a few systems kickers and polks and what not. now i just want to roll around in a pile of my money haha, Oh and play halo 3.

TheGrillMan
09-27-2007, 10:43 PM
i never really got into the whole bumpity bump scene but seeing as how my current dd si the first car ive owned with type of auido in it

TrickcitykustomsPrez
09-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Ah... I'm almost 20 and I've already had 5 different subs in my car since I was 16. If I was older it would probably be different.

lol im 19 and im running my 8th car since i was 16...1st car had 4 different systems in it...2nd came with a system which carried into my 3rd and 4th...
3rd car 2 diff systems...4th had 3...5th i custom built a system for...6th had 1...7th had 1...just got 8th in sept and its gotta bose system so im good with that lol :(

R_Rated
09-28-2007, 06:47 AM
lol im 19 and im running my 8th car since i was 16...1st car had 4 different systems in it...2nd came with a system which carried into my 3rd and 4th...
3rd car 2 diff systems...4th had 3...5th i custom built a system for...6th had 1...7th had 1...just got 8th in sept and its gotta bose system so im good with that lol :(

are your parents adopting?

TrickcitykustomsPrez
09-28-2007, 11:42 PM
are your parents adopting?

lol no i had HELP buying my first car and since then its all been me :D . still find myself wanting a different car :(

brianssupra
09-29-2007, 10:40 PM
thats rite..
Rear engine people don't count in car audio discussions. But if you had subs in a porsche I would fight you.

dickdragon
10-02-2007, 03:56 AM
sounds like someone's in denial!

RUFFIAN
10-02-2007, 06:34 AM
very true! I had a system that shook the steering column out of my Lac butI think it started when I got my first kid. I just couldn't see blowing their ears out. Every time I would crank up the sounds I would feel like an ass-hole. I still like a nice system but its all about clarity and balance now.

osiriskidd
10-02-2007, 07:06 AM
wow 8 cars xD i thought I was blessed to have 2 cars at 18.

Pavlo
10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't like complicated systems, just quality speakers and amps, and a neatly installed 12", or 10'' sub, not subs.

BlkCD5
10-10-2007, 11:58 PM
i got tired of it for a while cus of tickets, people bitching and stuff blowing up. Now i miss having a system and will plan to get another one. Something compact so it doesn't horde my truck or cause me to scrape.

Allstar3.8T
10-11-2007, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=Kyle]Ah... I'm almost 20 and I've already had 5 different subs in my car since I was 16. If I was older it would probably be different.
[QUOTE]

WOW you're old!
j/k

I am 35, I have been buying hgh-end since 1990 audio in general 20 yrs plus... and probably have had $100,000 in products run through my hands and cars in just audio equipment. There are guys who buy stuff to be street loud, SPL guys, and Audiophiles. You'll find the audiophiles generally never quit, SPL guys come and go, but never leave for long, and street car systems, like "going for speed" are only fun until you cant afford anymore (time or $)and realize the next plateau is just not worth it in your eyes. My conclusion, isnt that its a maturity thing, but you simply are at a cross roads, one you will hit over and over in my experiences. Like car shows, I have quit doin them so many times, only to start again, thus realizing the car thing IMO isnt about having, its about building. I love the build.

Brut
10-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I have just started into the car audio scene. I like it so far but I'm sure I am going to grow out of it fast.

BanginJimmy
10-11-2007, 02:05 PM
AllStar, you should also point out that alot fo the SPL guys tend to roam into the SQ area after a while.

Its no joke how much cash it takes to build a compeditive competition vehicle, not to mention how muchy it takes to build a world champion quality one.

Last I heard, and its been a while so I might be a bit off. But the shop that built the Pionner f150 that is the current SPL world record holder cost almost 1 mil at retail prices.

Twinnos
10-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Anyone have a similar experience?

I've wasted my share of money on car audio but I am considering selling it all. I guess I still like systems, but I just feel like a douche when I know other people can hear my system. Anyone else get to that point in their life?
ha ha, yeah. i used to ride around just bumpin that deeeeeep bass. but then after i got older i stopped that and now i dont even like loud music, i dont even like the tv loud in my house. but yeah i used to think it was cool, not anymore :crazy: