PDA

View Full Version : I just made artificial calcium?

Spektrewing386
09-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Ok so I went to clean a small metal part, it was really dirty so what I did was i filled a small bowl with Castrol Super Clean and put the part in it. I then had to go do something else, went to work and forgot about it for 2 days. I came back and the metal part was covered with this hard 5mm-8mm thick white crystal stuff.

Any chemist type people know what just happened?

Quattro Kid
09-26-2007, 10:26 PM
crystal meth?!?

redrumracer
09-26-2007, 10:31 PM
dunno what you made but i doubt you made calcium because thats an element.

RandomGuy
09-26-2007, 10:35 PM
i bet you wont smoke it

Quattro Kid
09-26-2007, 10:36 PM
hahaha yea i'm with stoopid ^^^ lol

0p7!mu5
09-26-2007, 10:59 PM
congratulations you're on your way to making a meth lab..

OneSlow5pt0
09-26-2007, 11:17 PM
yea...your gonna blow your house up

Spektrewing386
09-26-2007, 11:18 PM
its not meth, its some calcium based substance.
im pretty sure making meth is more complex than soaking metal in Castrol Super Clean

redrumracer
09-26-2007, 11:22 PM
i doubt its calcium but if you wanna see if it is try and get some pure sodium and put that on it. if it is calcium youll see a reaction right away.... oh and do this outside in fresh air

Maniaç
09-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Break it down to a smaller material, get some samples and have it shipped to a lab. Im sure they can figure it out. =D

speedminded
09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Ok so I went to clean a small metal part, it was really dirty so what I did was i filled a small bowl with Castrol Super Clean and put the part in it. I then had to go do something else, went to work and forgot about it for 2 days. I came back and the metal part was covered with this hard 5mm-8mm thick white crystal stuff.

Any chemist type people know what just happened?CSC contains Sodium Hydroxide and doesn't exactly react well with metal, especially aluminum -- its some type of salt or corrosion (lol, obviously). Does it look like Drano? Most likely the water in the CSC evaporated leaving the Sodium Hydroxide and various other chemicals behind...

and yes, sodium hydroxide is used to make meth :tongue:

Spektrewing386
09-26-2007, 11:35 PM
figured it out,

Its sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and is a "corrosive metal base"
"It is very soluble in water with liberation of heat. It also dissolves in ethanol and methanol."

oh, and you guys are correct about the meth thing:
"Sodium hydroxide is a key reagent in the process of making Methamphetamine and other illegal drugs. Contrary to popular media reports, it is not actually an "ingredient" in these drugs, but simply a strong base used to manipulate the pH at various points in a chemical synthesis."

and:

"Solid sodium hydroxide or solutions containing high concentrations of sodium hydroxide may cause chemical burns, permanent injury or scarring, and blindness.

Dissolution of sodium hydroxide is highly exothermic, and the resulting heat may cause heat burns or ignite flammables.

The combination of aluminium and sodium hydroxide results in a large production of hydrogen gas:
2Al(s) + 6NaOH(aq) → 3H2(g) + 2Na3AlO3(aq).
Mixing these two in a closed container is therefore dangerous."

speedminded
09-26-2007, 11:37 PM
figured it out,

Its sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and is a "corrosive metal base"
"It is very soluble in water with liberation of heat. It also dissolves in ethanol and methanol."

oh, and you guys are correct about the meth thing:
"Sodium hydroxide is a key reagent in the process of making Methamphetamine and other illegal drugs. Contrary to popular media reports, it is not actually an "ingredient" in these drugs, but simply a strong base used to manipulate the pH at various points in a chemical synthesis."

and:

"Solid sodium hydroxide or solutions containing high concentrations of sodium hydroxide may cause chemical burns, permanent injury or scarring, and blindness.

Dissolution of sodium hydroxide is highly exothermic, and the resulting heat may cause heat burns or ignite flammables.

The combination of aluminium and sodium hydroxide results in a large production of hydrogen gas:
2Al(s) + 6NaOH(aq) → 3H2(g) + 2Na3AlO3(aq).
Mixing these two in a closed container is therefore dangerous."yeah, that's what i said :tongue:

0p7!mu5
09-26-2007, 11:40 PM
in otherwords.. you knew somewhat what you were doing and was plannin on making eigther money with it, a bomb, or some cheap way of screwin over Georgia natural gas.. lol