PDA

View Full Version : I think im getting used to working with HDR

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Just a quick compilation taken from my balcony of my apartment. Still not perfect but Im getting there.

The sky was not photoshopped in anyway.

http://www.importatlanta.com/nemesis/misc/testhdr.jpg

Nemesis
09-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Here was the batch I used

http://www.importatlanta.com/nemesis/misc/batch.jpg

uproot
09-26-2007, 08:36 PM
nice man , lookin good

HDR ftw

Maniaç
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
those are awesome pictures dude.

Wurm
09-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Just a quick compilation taken from my balcony of my apartment. Still not perfect but Im getting there.

The sky was not photoshopped in anyway.

i call BS

take same pic while throw one of your empty nos cans in the air

Jaimecbr900
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Very nice. I wanna learn how to do that.

speedminded
09-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Looks good, would never have guessed that many pics were used for that shot?!

Very nice. I wanna learn how to do that.That CD I gave you has all you need to do it with on it ;)

Bruce Leroy
09-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Good job :goodjob:

looks better than most i see

:thinking:

Jaimecbr900
09-27-2007, 01:46 PM
That CD I gave you has all you need to do it with on it ;)

I'm sure, but I just don't have the noggin' to figure it out yet......:cry:

Maybe one day I'll sit down with one of you pro's and yall can teach an ole boy how it's done right. I've played with it a sec or so, but I'm not too good working with layers and stuff. I got confused and let it go. :no:

atlantamx3
09-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Looks good!

You can pass that CD along to me, Jason or Jaime!

sleepys4
09-28-2007, 10:03 AM
What exatly is hdr? and what is this cd you guys speak of?

quickdodge®
09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
High Def Resolution, maybe? Later, QD.

speedminded
09-28-2007, 10:06 AM
High Def Resolution, maybe? Later, QD.High Dynamic Range

quickdodge®
09-28-2007, 10:10 AM
High Dynamic Range

Is it kind of the same thing? I don't know, it just looks real clear. What is the purpose of his pictures? What has he done to make them stand-out? Not dissing, just don't know photography to know what's so special about the pics. Later, QD.

osiriskidd
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Is it kind of the same thing? I don't know, it just looks real clear. What is the purpose of his pictures? What has he done to make them stand-out? Not dissing, just don't know photography to know what's so special about the pics. Later, QD.

in a nutshell you just take the same picture over and over again with different lighting/exposure. you then put them all together on PS or some other editor using layers and then you get a dynamic scene w/ very good lighting. looks great, but depending on subject/amount of exposure/# of pictures can get extremely hard. i think standard was 3 pictures.

i think some people just change the exposure in PS itself but haven't tried it, so i wouldn't know. don't quote me on that.

Jaimecbr900
09-28-2007, 10:31 AM

They may be able to explain it better than I, since I've never hands-on tried it myself but......

HDR photography is a technique that is used to make a pic have infinitely more depth than a single pic could under certain situations.

Our eyes can adjust and see so much quicker than any camera lens ever could. As such, when you look at something you can differentiate between darks and lights and bright and shadows all in the same pic. In other words, we can see all the differences, especially small ones, in the entire picture. We see things even if they fall into the shadows, where a camera would blend it INTO the shadow. Follow?

If you look at Jorge's pic, the sky in the background is clear and crisp as it would be seen with your eyes that particular day. The only way to capture that vividly is to speed up the shutter. Problem is that if he did that, he would leave the foreground shadows too dark. The way to fix that is to either have fill lights all over the parking lot in the foreground when he took the pic or to use HDR to get everybody on the same page. He takes a series of pics which range from dark to light and he uses the correct exposure for both the foreground and the background into 1 final HDR pic. This is also sometimes called "toned mapping".

Even some lower end cameras have a feature called "bracketed exposure". This basically does what Jorge showed up there when he showed the series of pics from light to dark. Your camera would take 3 pics basically. 1 dark, one in the middle, 1 slightly over exposed. You would then choose the better one out of the three. Some cameras let you choose 1 stop, 2 stops, and even 3 stop increments.

I hope I explained it correctly and not too confusing. Basically in layman's terms a HDR pic shows details much more lifelike than can be achieved with single shots because you add 3D like depth to the shot.

Jaimecbr900
09-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Another easy way to look at it is like this:

(Using Jorge's batch of 8 pics used)

See how pic #1 has the sky looking great, but the foreground is too dark?

Now see how pic#3 and #6 have the foreground exposed right, but the sky "blown out"?

Well, if I'm correct, HDR combines images like that into one image that shows higher depth and correct exposure all in one.

I found some cool visual examples so yall can see what it is too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Look at the sample images to the right. If you click on them, they open up bigger and you can see.

sleepys4
10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Another easy way to look at it is like this:

(Using Jorge's batch of 8 pics used)

See how pic #1 has the sky looking great, but the foreground is too dark?

Now see how pic#3 and #6 have the foreground exposed right, but the sky "blown out"?

Well, if I'm correct, HDR combines images like that into one image that shows higher depth and correct exposure all in one.

I found some cool visual examples so yall can see what it is too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Look at the sample images to the right. If you click on them, they open up bigger and you can see.

Thanks for the great info. I need to take a photoshop class so i can learn how to layer and such. Those pictures from wikipedia are great examples.

imbosile
10-01-2007, 10:25 AM
whoa that's really cool, i'm not sure that i've ever seen that

atlantamx3
10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
whoa that's really cool, i'm not sure that i've ever seen that

What will really freak you out is you probably have, you just dont realize it.