PDA

View Full Version : digital camera opinions....

Redneckshenanigans
09-26-2007, 11:29 AM
looking to get a new camera, thinking about getting an SLR but dont know anything about them at all. anyone have any suggestions or opinions on the SLR cameras that are availible? not wanting to spend a lot but 7-800 i can deal with. some suggestions on most user friendly, reliable....?

Init2winit
09-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Nikon D-40 is a great camera

Redneckshenanigans
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
couple of my friends have the cannon rebel and seem to like them, the Nikon any better?

osnap
09-26-2007, 02:33 PM
couple of my friends have the cannon rebel and seem to like them, the Nikon any better?chevy vs ford.

honestly both make great cameras, but for the price, the nikon D40 is a fantastic introductory D-SLR. atm, canon doest really have anything in the same pricerange. id start there and then move up to a D50/D70 or a Digital Rebel XT :2cents:

coolcat
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Check www.dealnews.com you can find some really good deals on cameras there.

polishammer
09-26-2007, 08:13 PM
chevy vs ford.

I'll add the dodge ;) to the mix, go with the olympus. Got the E500 with two lenses for less than any of the other two. Great SLR. But you can't go wrong with any of them. One think to consider is that for most, SLR is overkill, and not portable at all. That's why I would recomend to first get good point-and-shoot digital cam, and then if you need more look for SLR.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_digpro.html

Slow Motion
09-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Ask Nemisis

Redneckshenanigans
09-27-2007, 03:36 PM
had a nice point and shoot, its dead. been wanting to upgrade to an SLR for a while just no funds until recently. plus i intend to grab a decent point and shoot soon also.

Brady
09-28-2007, 10:17 AM
stick with a point and shoot....if you don't want to spend more than 700 that is...no point in getting a d40 to just have a point and shoot that you can change lenses on.

Redneckshenanigans
09-28-2007, 05:41 PM
would like to get into photography. tried to a little with my digi that died that was like a 5mp and was pretty nice but only so much that i could do with it. as long as the camera last and i have use for it i can see spending more than 700 on it, just trying not to go overboard

Redneckshenanigans
09-28-2007, 05:43 PM
if not, ill sell the ****z

Brady
09-28-2007, 05:47 PM
would like to get into photography. tried to a little with my digi that died that was like a 5mp and was pretty nice but only so much that i could do with it. as long as the camera last and i have use for it i can see spending more than 700 on it, just trying not to go overboard
Understandable...but just know that the digital bodies are throw away parts for the most part, they have shelf lifes depending on the shutter...some are rated for 10k others for more...the glass is expensive and that is what makes a picture better than others is the quality of the lens. I've seen some amazing stuff come from a digi reb with a 17-55L over a guy using a 1dm2s using non-L off brand stuff...thats comparing a $500 body with $5k body and like wise on Nikon system, but i can't say much for other systems as i have little to know experience but would only assume the same ...so yeah...if you don't want to get to serious into it, find reviews on SLR "like" camera. IE: the canon S3is i've heard great things about. The olympus sp-550 is another one i've heard wonderful things about....but yeah, just my $.02

Mr. Clean
09-28-2007, 08:08 PM
PRICEGRABBER.com!!! type in the camera you want it will give you a friggin good price... im trying to get a nikon d-40x for christmas and they're like $100-150 cheaper through pricegrabber

Brady
09-30-2007, 12:09 PM
PRICEGRABBER.com!!! type in the camera you want it will give you a friggin good price... im trying to get a nikon d-40x for christmas and they're like $100-150 cheaper through pricegrabber
lawls.

Redneckshenanigans
09-30-2007, 06:18 PM
i dont think i will get too horribly serious into it, but i do like photography and like i said i did try with my PAS camera that i had but just didnt get the detail like i wanted. plus 2 of my friends have the cannon rebel xti and i drool over the **** every time i see them. appreciate the help btw, please keep this **** up because i really dont want to get a camera then be kicking myself in the ass for it later. im up for pretty much any suggestions.

Brady
10-01-2007, 12:00 AM
http://www.pbase.com/cameras and search pictures people have taken with all systems to see what a camera is capable of....but if you look at SLR's, take notice of the lens choice as that is the most expensive thing most of the time.

A.P. Photography
10-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Just because you can afford and SLR does not mean that you need to buy one. Speedminded on here took some amazing photos with a point and shoot and is a perfect example of what can be done if you learn how to use your camera properly. Like Brady said, the bodies are disposable and the glass is what makes the photos. If you have no problem spending another $800-$1800+ on one lense then by all means check out an SLR, if not then check out some of the higher end point and shoots. ntNikon 8800, Canon S3 IS, and I am sure there is more but have not kept up with them for a long time.

Redneckshenanigans
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
well of course i dont just want to be throwing money away but honestly in the near future the money wouldnt really be that big of an issue. just want to be happy with my decision on what to get so i dont kick myself in the ass later for it mainly based on quality

A.P. Photography
10-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Sounds like you already made up your mind to get an SLR. So just figure out which one you like better and fits your hand better and go from there.

speedminded
10-19-2007, 07:49 PM
yeah, what everyone said above :tongue:

Camera bodies are "disposable", they don't retain their value and they die while quality lens remain worth 50-75% of their retail. VR/IS (image stabilized) lenses may have issues with their motors down the road but for the most part they don't die unless they are abused.

Megapixels don't mean crap unless you're producing large prints or posters. A 6mp 20D with a quality lens can produce MUCH better photos than my 10mp XTI with the kit lens.

Were you using the manual settings on your Point & Shoot or shooting auto?